Will the NorthEast Division be as weak in 2012-13?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Will the NorthEast Division be as weak in 2012-13?

I think most would agree that the Northeast division was one of the weaker ones in the NHL this season. Only 2 teams actually made the playoffs and both are now gone.

So, will it be as weak in the coming year?

Buffalo: vastly underachieved considering their FA pickups and payroll. Miller had an aweful season. I can see them getting on track next year. They are not as bad a team as they played in 2011-12.

Ottawa: overachieved as much as Buffalo underachieved. I am still not sold on Anderson in net and if Alfredsson retires I can see them taking a step back. However, if Lehner is ready to take the reigns then all bets are off.

TO: 1967, all that needs to be said. Payroll issues and no starting goaltender equals status quo. Kessel will get his 30 goals and be -10 as usual.

Habs: can't be as bad as last year can they? If Price stays and Markov plays a full season for once, they might improve a bit. Again, too many overpaid midgets. Perhaps no where to go but up?

Bruins: barring any disasterous events from now until the start of the new season they will probably have a similar season (record-wise) and win the division. I look forward to Seguin getting 80-90 points and Hamilton playing alongside Chara. Of course, they will be judged not on their regular season prowess but how far they go in the playoffs.

Any other thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

Re: Will the NorthEast Division be as weak in 2012-13?

CBA still needs to be resolved, and if resolved does the realignment come into play for 2012-13? or would that be for 2013-14? 

Tampa & Florida could change the landscape of the Bruins division, make it much more difficult.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Habs will be a lot better than they were last year imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Will the NorthEast Division be as weak in 2012-13?:
    [QUOTE]CBA still needs to be resolved, and if resolved does the realignment come into play for 2012-13? or would that be for 2013-14?  Tampa & Florida could change the landscape of the Bruins division, make it much more difficult.
    Posted by ocram[/QUOTE]

That's quite right, there is talk of a realignment but I think it may wait until the Phoenix situation is resolved once and for all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No realignment next year according to the league. The NHLPA's objections kiboshed it until at least 2013-2014, and Chipman's confirmed that the Jets will still be in the SE next year (which is nutty nuts)

As far as the NE goes, likely see the Sabres and Ottawa battling it out for a spt just like this year and the Bruins taking the division. Unless there's drastic changes in the ffseasn, Habs and TO should tank again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Red, I like that last part of your post :)

I think Buffalo will be much improved. I also think the Bruins, if healthy, will have a significantly better record than this year. I'm going to guess in the realm of 112 pts. That would be good for the President's trophy methinks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

I actually think the Habs might get worse. I don't see where help is on the way. They have a cap nightmare, and need to sign a ton of players. Unless they have some pleasant surprises from within the organization on entry level contracts, i don't see them being any better, and they might be worse. 

Toronto could take a big step. I really could see Parise going there, and although it might not be good for the franchise long term, it would certainly help provide some balance. We all know how burkie likes Americans. I actually would guess that they finish ahead of Ottawa, who I do not think will make the playoffs unless they make some changes. 

Bruins, Sabres (both make the playoffs) Leafs, Sens, Habs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I actually think the Habs might get worse. I don't see where help is on the way. They have a cap nightmare, and need to sign a ton of players. Unless they have some pleasant surprises from within the organization on entry level contracts, i don't see them being any better, and they might be worse.  Toronto could take a big step. I really could see Parise going there, and although it might not be good for the franchise long term, it would certainly help provide some balance. We all know how burkie likes Americans. I actually would guess that they finish ahead of Ottawa, who I do not think will make the playoffs unless they make some changes.  Bruins, Sabres (both make the playoffs) Leafs, Sens, Habs
    Posted by patriotpat99[/QUOTE]

You may be right about the Habs. They have only 3 d men signed, no bottom 6 and apparently Price may not want to stay. Even if he does he will cost a ton of cash as will Subban who is also an RFA. Roughly $18 million in cap space to pay for half a team including 2 expensive RFA's will be a tall order for whomever the new GM will be. Not to mention they have no coach either. What a mess.

As for TO, their future will likely depend on their goalie situation. I can see Burke going balls out to get a #1 tender.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't think the NE was weak. I think the Bruins are the strongest team in the league. They dominated the division in head to head, pushing their records down. If TO doesn't go 0-6 vs the B's, they are in contention for a playoff spot. Buffalo is in if they don't have to play the B's so often, Ottawa is higher in the standings. Boston squeaked out of the playoffs, but I still feel they were the deepest, strongest team going.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Buffalo is what it is - and I don't see them making much more noise than fighting for the 7-8 spot at best.

Ottawa is a solid team, and their surprisingly solid goaltending makes them able to repeat this year's success. Young team, with a good culture.

Toronto will always be a head case in my opinion. Good teams stay 6-4 over every 10-game stretch. Toronto ALWAYS has stretches of 8-2 or 7-3 and you think they're finally there, then they lose 8 in a row. Happens every year...same with the Isles. Pass on them being much better.

Montreal can't get worse - it was a failure of epic proportions. Perhaps the new GM really shakes things up and they have to sit at the bottom again for another year, but they'll bounce back.

It all depends on the offseason, but Boston is still the best here, followed by Buffalo/Ottawa, Toronto and then Montreal. Sound familiar?

Sure would like to see some realignment soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Too early to say, you still have the draft, free-agency and even then it's hard to tell. Most people picked Buffalo to contend and Ottawa to struggle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Buffalo is what it is - and I don't see them making much more noise than fighting for the 7-8 spot at best. Ottawa is a solid team, and their surprisingly solid goaltending makes them able to repeat this year's success. Young team, with a good culture. Toronto will always be a head case in my opinion. Good teams stay 6-4 over every 10-game stretch. Toronto ALWAYS has stretches of 8-2 or 7-3 and you think they're finally there, then they lose 8 in a row. Happens every year...same with the Isles. Pass on them being much better. Montreal can't get worse - it was a failure of epic proportions. Perhaps the new GM really shakes things up and they have to sit at the bottom again for another year, but they'll bounce back. It all depends on the offseason, but Boston is still the best here, followed by Buffalo/Ottawa, Toronto and then Montreal. Sound familiar? Sure would like to see some realignment soon.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Re-alignment would be a good thing but it just seems wrong for some reason if the Bruins were playing in the same division as TB and Florida which was what was proposed a few months ago. Call me a traditionalist but the NY/NJ teams seem like more of a natural geographical  fit.

Sections
Shortcuts