Will Vinny take less pay to play for the B's or a SC contender?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Will Vinny take less pay to play for the B's or a SC contender?

Kind of curious if a player of Vinny's stature would take less money to play for the B's or any other team that has a chance to win the SC.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Will Vinny take less pay to play for the B's or a SC contender?

In response to bgrif008's comment:

Kind of curious if a player of Vinny's stature would take less money to play for the B's or any other team that has a chance to win the SC.

I think he signs a one year deal with a team he sees as the best fit, knowing the cap is going up next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

As of July 2, half the teams in the league could be considered honest contenders.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from insert_clever_NN. Show insert_clever_NN's posts

I think the B's are a cup contender, seeing is how they were in the finals this year and won it in 2011.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I don't see him signing until many of the top teams settle their line ups and then he finds the best fit. Of course with the cap down that may alter how much he can get if he does wait.

IMHO he is in the drivers seat on the highway looking for the right exit---too soon or too late and he can screw himself

Love the Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Hockey players are like everyone else, it's always about the money and it will be w/ Lecavalier also.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Hockey players are like everyone else, it's always about the money and it will be w/ Lecavalier also.

Can't blame him it is a dangerous game. Your life could change with one hit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Bingo. All of those who were saying Horton would take a "hometown discount" have been awfully quiet lately...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErnestoGiove. Show ErnestoGiove's posts

Not Vinny. He is looking for 5/6 years at 5/6MM per. He knows what he is worth and why settle for less when other teams are willing to pay up? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The answer is yes, he would take a pay cut to play for a SC contender.

Why?  The answer is still money.

I think he could make up the difference and then some with another Stanley Cup ring.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to fishfinger's comment:

[QUOTE]

Can't blame him it is a dangerous game. Your life could change with one hit.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

[QUOTE]

Bingo. All of those who were saying Horton would take a "hometown discount" have been awfully quiet lately...

[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, I never saw any posts suggesting that he would take a hometown discount but I read many in which people hoped that he would. I'm not saying that no one said it at all, just that I never saw it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Didn't this guy just like cash out $32M from Tampa... doesn't look to me like he is short for cash... I would like to think that winning another Cup is what he is looking for.. B's would be a good fit for Vinny... don't see him coming here though... bank on him  going to his favourite team growing up, the dreaded Habs... makes too much sense..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Really can;t see him comming here,don't think he really wants to switch to the wing.Not going to be for the third line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

Didn't this guy just like cash out $32M from Tampa... doesn't look to me like he is short for cash... I would like to think that winning another Cup is what he is looking for.. B's would be a good fit for Vinny... don't see him coming here though... bank on him  going to his favourite team growing up, the dreaded Habs... makes too much sense..

If he wants to win another Cup as you have stated then i don't think going to the Habs is giving him his best chance. Money might be the driving factor in the end, that and contract length.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I am not sure why Vinny would want to diminsh his potential return in this way at all.

He already has a ring, is in heavy demand,  and this is likely his final contract.

Everything smells to me like $$$$$$

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I think he signs a one year deal with a team he sees as the best fit, knowing the cap is going up next year.

This is the only scenario where I think he signs for "short" money, by trying to cash in on being a top UFA in a year where a lot of teams get cap space to burn.  Otherwise, all it will take is one team deciding that he'll be a good center for them for the next four years and offer him twenty million dollars to play for that stretch (numbers are suggestions, he could get more).  I'm not sure he turns down something like that on the hope that he can get another, larger, contract after this next.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

I would think that going to work and making as much money as possible is tops on the list.

Isn't that sort of why people go to work?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Some pure speculation....

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m

I could be totally wrong, but gut feeling says Boston, Dallas and Detroit top options for Lecavalier if Montreal is a No... but guessing...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

This may sound weird. I don't think he would take less to play for a stanley cup contender, but i think he might turn down more. I mean that I think he and his agent have probably come up with a number they think is his value, likely between 4.5-5 million, and that's what he wants to get. He won't take 3 million from boston because they're a good team, but if a horrrible team like say Colorado called him up and offered him 6 million a year he might turn it down. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

No, at this point in his career he will probably take the most money and most years he can get.  The Habs seem like a perfect fit for him. The question about a team discount is so often asked, but very rarely does it ever happen. for 99/100 athletes it's about getting the most money. He can still have a shot at the Cup with teams other than the Bruins, and get paid more.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

This may sound weird. I don't think he would take less to play for a stanley cup contender, but i think he might turn down more. I mean that I think he and his agent have probably come up with a number they think is his value, likely between 4.5-5 million, and that's what he wants to get. He won't take 3 million from boston because they're a good team, but if a horrrible team like say Colorado called him up and offered him 6 million a year he might turn it down. 

Why?  It's so rare that players turn down the largest contracts possible.

Colorado is a wonderful place.  Maybe if it were the  Jets...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it was just a random example. my point was i could see a scenario where he would turn down a team trying to overpay if he thought playing there would be a bad situation. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Remember when Kariyha and Selanne both took huge paycuts to play for the Aves and chase a cup?

This is about the only example I can think of off the top of my head.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

[QUOTE]

Remember when Kariyha and Selanne both took huge paycuts to play for the Aves and chase a cup?

This is about the only example I can think of off the top of my head.

[/QUOTE]

Now that San has me hooked on Twitter, I just read that Vinny has informed both the Stars and Wings that they are out of the running.