Will Vinny take less pay to play for the B's or a SC contender?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Will Vinny take less pay to play for the B's or a SC contender?

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Now that San has me hooked on Twitter, I just read that Vinny has informed both the Stars and Wings that they are out of the running. 

Getting exciting!!!

Who's left? MTL, TOR, Bruins, Philly....am I missing someone? Pens? lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Why?  It's so rare that players turn down the largest contracts possible.

Colorado is a wonderful place.  Maybe if it were the  Jets...

Remember when Kariyha and Selanne both took huge paycuts to play for the Aves and chase a cup?

This is about the only example I can think of off the top of my head.

Now that San has me hooked on Twitter, I just read that Vinny has informed both the Stars and Wings that they are out of the running. 

Twitter is awesome.  Fast quick updates.  Love it.  Stars and detroit out.  Good.  Think about boston.  Close to tampa.  Close to his hometown.  Tampa is in his heart therefore my bet is he signs on with the bruins.  Even in saying goodbye to AF... PC and the bruins organization cant be out classed.  Boston is an amazing place.  I dont see vinny going west.  I dont see montreal. Too much pressure and who needs that.  Im saying he will become a bruin.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Getting exciting!!!

Who's left? MTL, TOR, Bruins, Philly....am I missing someone? Pens? lol

Van.  Torts being there might be a draw.  I dont see him moving that far away from tampa.  His sister and parents live there basically full time.  Im saying boston will get him.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper 1m

Hearing Lecavalier could decide which #NHL he'll sign with as early as tonite. Told #Canadiens were in the final running but are now out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Van.  Torts being there might be a draw.  I dont see him moving that far away from tampa.  His sister and parents live there basically full time.  Im saying boston will get him.  

Interesting but Van could be too tight cap-wise to fit him in, even if they do buy out Ballard.

Reminds me of the Keenan-Messier Vancouver days....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Just heard Dreger on All Sports Radio tell that  his Phily source confirmed Lecavalier is a Philly Flyer... take it for what it's worth..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

Just heard Dreger on All Sports Radio tell that  his Phily source confirmed Lecavalier is a Philly Flyer... take it for what it's worth..

That Holmgren.....always the big epender.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Seems believable enough. They seem to overpay for a player at least once a year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Seems believable enough. They seem to overpay for a player at least once a year. 

Interesting to see what term and $$ are IF this info is 100% accurate... Dreger is reliable, so he would not come out with this and his sources would be pretty good is my guess as a hockey insider... Was actually hoping the B's would have gotten him... would have opened up a bunch of options for the B's... This guy is far from finished and would have been the PP help  this team lacks ....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

5 years = $23M... report out of Philly.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Too much for too long. I would have gone 3 years max at no more than 5. He gave them a slight drop from 5 per for the extra seasons I guess. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Too much for too long. I would have gone 3 years max at no more than 5. He gave them a slight drop from 5 per for the extra seasons I guess. 

Agreed Dez... The 5 year term ,I believe , for Chiarelli would have been a deal breaker...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Remember when Kariyha and Selanne both took huge paycuts to play for the Aves and chase a cup?

Kariya signed for $1.2M, a super cut bargain.  Selanne signed for $5.8M, coming off his second year of not cracking 30 goals.  His previous contract was $6.5M.  Not really a huge pay cut.

Kariya is the only example ever given on this topic.  Put him on one side and put every other NHLer to sign a contract on the other.  The whole theory of a guy taking less money for a chance at the Cup is as valid as the Loch Ness Monster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

When you want THE guy, you have to extend beyond what's reasonable more often than not.  The thing that cracks me up is that so many NHL teams are carrying contracts that make us cringe for one reason or another.  The only one that Chiarelli really blew was the Savard deal, and that one doesn't even matter anymore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Kariya signed for $1.2M, a super cut bargain.  Selanne signed for $5.8M, coming off his second year of not cracking 30 goals.  His previous contract was $6.5M.  Not really a huge pay cut.

Kariya is the only example ever given on this topic.  Put him on one side and put every other NHLer to sign a contract on the other.  The whole theory of a guy taking less money for a chance at the Cup is as valid as the Loch Ness Monster.

You're saying there is no Loch Ness monster !! Thats BS Nas!! This rich guy from Texas went there with infra red cameras and sensors and got a picture of one of its fins! I'm sure thats what it was!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

You're saying there is no Loch Ness monster !! Thats BS Nas!! This rich guy from Texas went there with infra red cameras and sensors and got a picture of one of its fins! I'm sure thats what it was!

There might be a Loch Ness Monster, but with the amount of times the "take less to win a Cup" is thrown around, you'd think there was a Loch Ness Monster in every lake around the world!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I hate the flyers. They have become the NY Rangers of Old....Always picking up the high profile player. Im not saying the Rangers dont do it now, but Philly seems to do it more now adays.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

How do we as fans know what's going on behind the scenes of what's being offered to players when they're free agents ? Is everything reported to what the player was offered ? I think not .

There are plenty of players who take hometown discounts because of familiarity with the team and location. 

Not waiting for free agency to start and signing with the hometown team is an example. Would they not get more if they waited for the UFA period to start ?  

"More money" isn't always the deciding factor for everyone. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

There might be a Loch Ness Monster, but with the amount of times the "take less to win a Cup" is thrown around, you'd think there was a Loch Ness Monster in every lake around the world!

Perhaps the most we can say then is that it is more likely that there is a Loch Ness Monster than an nhl player voluntarily taking a pay cut....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch 2m

"It was something I wasn't prepared to do," says Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli on signing Lecavalier. #NHL

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m

Bos GM Chiarelli on media call says while he met with Lecavalier and spoke to the agent few times, simply decided not to move forward on it

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch 1m

Chiarelli says he will be "interviewing" a few guys over the next couple of days for free agent signings plus working on trades. #NHL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Chiarelli says he will be "interviewing" a few guys over the next couple of days for free agent signings plus working on trades. #NHL

This gave me chills of joy.  Basically, the B's are so awesome and powerful and desirable, they don't try to sign anyone.  They interview players to see if they want to offer a job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

This gave me chills of joy.  Basically, the B's are so awesome and powerful and desirable, they don't try to sign anyone.  They interview players to see if they want to offer a job.

It shows confidence as a GM on PC's part in my eyes. Ive always liked that the Bruins rarely go for the big FA signings.  Not saying i wouldnt like to see one of those awesome names out there as a bruins, but PC is always reasonable, responsible, and thinking long term.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

It shows confidence as a GM on PC's part in my eyes. Ive always liked that the Bruins rarely go for the big FA signings.  Not saying i wouldnt like to see one of those awesome names out there as a bruins, but PC is always reasonable, responsible, and thinking long term.

That's my take also Davey. 

Sections
Shortcuts