Wilson on Schenn...Another NHLer will be suspended

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Wilson on Schenn...Another NHLer will be suspended

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's insane.  Seems like it's either head shots, hitting from behind or out of the player's view every week.  Schenn looked almost airborne just prior to his board impact.  

[/QUOTE]

There's no almost about it - there was a moment there when no part of his body was touching anything solid until his head hit the boards.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Scary for Schenn.  Thought he didn't help himself by trying to turn out of the hit, put himself in a more vulnerable position.  Wilson came in with some serious speed and got a major for charging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKGq8Zo-TE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Quincy on Getzlaf also scary.  Corss-check/shove to the lower back in dangerous, looks like Getzlaf may have toe-picked a bit as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcjYloO17js

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I think it's pretty clear that our PC society is trying to tame a game that is just plain rough... suck it up!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Time to make basic respect and sportsmanship lucrative.

1 Million Dollars to the recipient of the Lady Byng Trophy.

Award ten Lady Byng Trophies

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The difference between these two that's most obvious to me is that Quincey barely hit Getzlaf.  Looks like Getzlaf is setting up to block Quincey out, use his size to protect the puck, and then yeah, toe pick and he goes up and over instead of just forward.  That kind of contact happens 100 times a game, and it's almost always right in the back because the guy with the puck is using his body to shield the other guy away or even just fronting for position.  Rough for Quincey to get hammered for that just because of how spectacularly Getzlaf goes down.

Wilson's is a charge, sure, but even when he hits him here, a) he doesn't hit him square in the back - you never lose sight of the numbers.  He has him lined up for a shoulder to shoulder hit, and Schenn dips away so that he catches the back of his shoulder.  That's what sets Schenn spinning and flying.

I just don't see either of these hits as the kind of Jones on Bergeron hit from behind that requires severe justice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

The problem is a combination of 2 things for the most part. One, players now routinely put themselves in position so that if they get hit it will be from behind resulting in a penalty to the other team. The obvious flaw in this tactic is you may get hurt. Second, the game is faster than it's ever been and when you see half this stuff in real time you can't even tell what exactly happened. Slo-mo replay from more than one angle is sometimes needed to figure out whether it was clean or dirty. Actually there is a 3rd thing. The refs and shanny have been so inconsistent in what's what that some players simply don't get it. Which leads me to a 4th thing....some of these guys are just dumber than a bag of hammers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

You don't think this has been driven into them by their all of their coaches over the years. To finish the check no matter what!

What's driven into them is finishing their checks within the rules.

Thinking coaches tell their players to drive players head first into the boards from behind is a bit over the top..........even for bdc.com thinking.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Then explain it to me, cause nothing makes sense. 

[/QUOTE]

They are idiots.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo...no other reason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe it's time the NHL starts putting stop signs on the back of the helmets like they do in pee wee. I'm not even kidding - nothing else has seemed to work and if that helped stop bad from behind hits in kids hockey maybe it'll do the same for these twits.

The Wilson hit was just unreal - put Schenn fully airborne by the time his head hit the boards.

[/QUOTE]

How about ............. have a team lose a roster spot on the bench for the length of time the player gets suspended. 

It not only penalizes the player but his team also.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Maybe it's time the NHL starts putting stop signs on the back of the helmets like they do in pee wee. I'm not even kidding - nothing else has seemed to work and if that helped stop bad from behind hits in kids hockey maybe it'll do the same for these twits.

The Wilson hit was just unreal - put Schenn fully airborne by the time his head hit the boards.

[/QUOTE]

How about ............. have a team lose a roster spot on the bench for the length of time the player gets suspended. 

[/QUOTE]

Or, every time a team has a player recieiving a game misconduct the opposing team is automatically awarded a goal?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Yes, players need to stop hitting guys from behind but players also have to stop facing the boards to avoid hits. That's the crux of this extremely vexing problem.

In an average game, I guess-timate that guys turn to face the boards in order to avoid hits 50-60 times a game. Guys are going to continue to get injured and suspended if you don't fix the root of the problem which is players facing the glass to avoid hits.

I don't know how to fix it but my thought is that unless you are grabbing a dead puck (i.e. puck that's not moving), you are not allowed to face the boards (penalty ranging from an icing type call (no change) up to a two minute penalty). That way, guys are not relying on the rules to protect their health. It ups legal hitting as most of the time, players peel off instead of hitting a guy in the numbers.

And I'm not blaming the victim but this system of suspending guys to fix the problem clearly isn't working and something has to change.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heebiehoo. Show heebiehoo's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or, every time a team has a player recieiving a game misconduct the opposing team is automatically awarded a goal?

[/QUOTE]

Or how about a penalty shot?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Its amazing that these types of hits still happen. Its obvious suspensions arent working. Whats the next step though? Those two hits are so incredibly dangerous, hope Getzlaf and Schenn are ok. Did either of them continue the game?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to heebiehoo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or how about a penalty shot?

[/QUOTE]

With the shooter being the pick of the coach...that would be interesting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No footage to offer yet, but in the Caps/Flyers game, some rookie Wilson just destroyed Brayden Schenn with an loco check from behind.

Schenn is a mess.

[/QUOTE]

Thornton's punishment dealt with his "taking the law into his own hands", and the league's  attempt to send a message. Pfanuff(sp) the other night, the hard-plastic knee pad to Marchand's head, now this hit make a mockery of the sport and the so called disciplinary board.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Again the cure for these hits is very simple, stiff suspensions. When the NHL wanted to get rid of bench clearing brawls it made harsh penalties to end them, guess what they disappeared. The same would happen with these type of hits also.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"How about ............. have a team lose a roster spot on the bench for the length of time the player gets suspended. It not only penalizes the player but his team also." - "Chowdakid'

I proposed this in and amongst all the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair around the John Scott on Loui Eriksson predation.

I think it would work, as well. In say, Thornton's case, Claude would - for 15 games! - have to run with 11 forwards (or 5 defencemen however he decided). It would give any player pause - and it's 'the pause' that seems to gone out of this game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

AND/OR....

One Million Dollars to the winner of the Lady Byng Trophy! (rename it if you must)

And award TEN of them.

Toughness and gentlemanly conduct needn't be antithetical. The Lady Byng need not be awarded solely to the guy with the fewest penalty minutes, but to the guy who consistently exhibits respect and sportsmanship to his fellow player. As the 'sweepstakes' continued throughout the season, you'd start to see more and more random instances and examples shown nightly alongside scoring and fighting highlights.

In the way you're seeing Canadian players audition for this year's Olympic Team (by trying to play their best hockey every shift, trying to stay out of trouble - see: Milan Lucic restraining himself outside Vancouver bar) you would see players with a real incentive (albeit a crass one) to perform at their best within the confines of the rules of the game.

Gotta change the culture.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

OK, I admit it - I'm surprised at how one sided this conversation is, especially about teh Quincey play.  If you didn't see the whole play in context, don't just watch NAS's .gif. 

Watch the full play here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/kyle-quincey-nails-ryan-getzlaf-with-dangerous-hit-1.2468373

Quincey glides up to Getzlaf, he doesn't, as the article above says "level" him with a "hit".  He shoves him and Getzlaf loses his balance because he's trying to box out.  Happens all the time without that result because usually the guy is either solid on his skates, or he gets pushed a bit.  Happens hundreds of times right in front of the net. 

Wilson, well...definitely a charge, but not a deliberate or vicious shot in the back. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dirty Player Apologist

Free Raffi!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like that chowda, very good idea.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I like Wilson so im a bit biased on this.  If this is open ice does this change anyones opinion.  For those who dont know Wilson he hits hard, can fight and they are trying to mold him similar to Lucic.  He is junior eligable and most of the caps big stars all wanted wilson to stsy on the roster.  Wilson can hit hard.  Hes gotta learn to avoid the bad areas near the boards.  

Quincy on Getz looks worse then it is.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Wilson so im a bit biased on this.  If this is open ice does this change anyones opinion.  For those who dont know Wilson he hits hard, can fight and they are trying to mold him similar to Lucic.  He is junior eligable and most of the caps big stars all wanted wilson to stsy on the roster.  Wilson can hit hard.  Hes gotta learn to avoid the bad areas near the boards.  

Quincy on Getz looks worse then it is.  

[/QUOTE]

Still would be charging no matter where it was on the ice, yes?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, I admit it - I'm surprised at how one sided this conversation is, especially about teh Quincey play.  If you didn't see the whole play in context, don't just watch NAS's .gif. 

Watch the full play here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/kyle-quincey-nails-ryan-getzlaf-with-dangerous-hit-1.2468373

Quincey glides up to Getzlaf, he doesn't, as the article above says "level" him with a "hit".  He shoves him and Getzlaf loses his balance because he's trying to box out.  Happens all the time without that result because usually the guy is either solid on his skates, or he gets pushed a bit.  Happens hundreds of times right in front of the net. 

Wilson, well...definitely a charge, but not a deliberate or vicious shot in the back

[/QUOTE]

Exactly how I saw it too Book. Still a dangerous charge though. It looked awful.

Sections
Shortcuts