Window Closing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Window Closing?

Just how important is Z to the Bruins hopes of winning the Stanley Cup?  I have heard a lot lately about the Bruins window is closing and that's why they could not wait on Tyler to mature.  

This from THN http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/53447-NHL-Preseason-Predictions-Atlantic-Division-No-1-Boston-Bruins.html :

CONS: Like all successful teams dealing with a salary cap ceiling, the Bruins lost a slew of veterans (including forwards Nathan Horton, Jaromir Jagr and Rich Peverley and defenseman Andrew Ference), but the acquisition of Eriksson from Dallas cost them the burgeoning talents of center Tyler Seguin. Yes, Seguin was immature compared to his more focused teammates, but his deletion from the roster underscores the shrinking window this team has in which to win. There are no blue-chip prospects on the horizon anymore and with the miles that have been logged by the now-36-year-old Chara, young blueliners Dougie Hamilton and Torey Krug will need to contribute right away. Also, Julien will need to figure out a solution for Boston’s putrid power play, which has finished 20th or worse in three of the past four seasons.

Z is 36, Jerome is 35, Seids is 31.  The Bruins "stars" are 27 and below. No blue-chip prospects?  WTH is Hamilton, the kid is 20 and Spooner maybe aquamarine if he isn't blue and Krug is the real deal!  Not to mention that the goalie is 26 and he's pretty good and locked up for quite a few years.  So tell me why the window is closing?  The Bruins will never win without Z? Say it isn't so.  There is no question that Z is a once in a life time type player, but I believe that this young core of Bruins like Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Ericksson, Rask, Krug, Hamilton, McQuaid, Bartkowski, et all will still compete for a cup in four years when Z is hanging up the blades.  The hype about the window closing is comparable to that of the Y2K scare. The world made the necessary adjustments leading up to it, and the Bruins will do the same to remain a Stanley Cup contender year-in and year-out! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Window Closing?

I dont think the window is closing at all Mean, I think in some aspects it's just opening more. Young core, Bergeron,Krejci,Marchand,Lucic,Eriksson etc..Then you have young d-men like Bartkowski,Krug and Hamilton..Add that to the fact that Tuuka is still pretty young and I see nothing but good things for this team, especially with how the cap is projected to go up and alot of these young guys signed long term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think there is some possible merit to this argument, based on two of the basic points they mention.  

First, Chara is getting older and I think people will be shocked by a blueline without Chara someday.  He is such a force, plays so many minutes, does so many things well, is a leader, etc. etc.  Things will be harder without him.  A lot harder.

Secondly, the point about Seguin is valid too.  He was supposed to be the next star and is still barely old enough to drink (ahh the irony).  I think the trade was good and I like what they got back a lot, but none of the pieces were a 21-yr. old franchise star.  That ship sailed.

However, I think the Bruins are in just as good position as anyone else to be a Cup contender in 3 years or 5 years.  The Vezina caliber goalie is young, consistent, and locked up long term (uhhh, shupe, there was an explosion at the old well, get over there!).

And who's to say there aren't any young stars in the pipeline now?  Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, and Krejci didn't come in heralded as stars or blue chip draft picks.  They developed.  Who says Spooner or Smith or Koko or Camara or Morrow won't develop that way.  Hamilton certainly has the pedigree.  Eriksson is an all-star already and is young.  

Most importantly, Chiarelli has never had the look of a boom and bust GM.  He's always rebuilding.  It doesn't have to be a closing window when Chara is done.  Think revolving door...  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Clearly written by someone who does'nt follow the B's, or even hockey fot that matter. Read that we lost some key players but didn't consider who we got back and what the talent level of the young prospects are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Odd.  I guess they're talking more about succession planning?  Like, with Seguin gone, who would step in and replace Krejci who could keep the Bruins at the same level?  An injury to Krejci next year and Iginla going elsewhere would leave them with two very difficult spots to fill and no Seguin to trade to do it.  As much as some of us are enjoying the prospect battle and what Smith/Spooner/Johnson/Lindblad have shown plus what Fraser/Khokhlachev/Knight/Camara/Griffith may become (and Caron in there somewhere), it hasn't been a thoroughbred race so far in camp, has it?  Johnson and Spooner have shown up on the scoresheet.  The rest?  Smith with a hustle play for an assist the other night.  No one's calling these guys blue chip.  They're not Huberdeau, Drouin, MacKinnon, Monahan.

Good team planning will keep the window open for at least the rest of Chara's tenure, I would think.  There aren't many raises or difficult negotiations on the horizon: Seidenberg next year as a UFA, Krejci, Boychuk and McQuaid the year after that (and it's hard to imagine that some of today's defensive depth won't make letting one of these two go in 2016 easier); it only gets tough in about 3 years when you have to re-sign Lucic and and Eriksson at the same time.

As long as they stay relatively healthy, this core has at least three more years to contend, and the pieces on the farm to at least make deals to fill holes.

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They are getting older.  "What is Hamilton" is a question most of us have.

The farm has NHL players, but I don't see any poised to be Top 6 in the NHL outside of possibly Spooner.

I agree that there aren't any bluechipers in the system.  There aren't many in anyone's system that has had any recent success.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Seidenberg will play into his late 30s, guys in unreal shape. Might not be in Boston like Ference. Zdeno who will still be effective in his ealy 40s like Lidstrom and Nicklas could have kept playing. Plenty of time to get replacements for both. The Red Wings were supposed to get hammered by the BlackHawks without Lidstrom last season, some said Detroit wouldn't ven  make the playofs last season.

I feel allot better about "the Farm" than I did last September that is for sure. Trotman and Morrow could contribute a bit this season with any injuries. Neither looked out of place but need more seasoning. Bartkowski and Krug didn't start looking good.

Chara doesn't need to be replaced this year or next, plenty of time for PC.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Good points by all with the key being depth at all levels of the organization.  That's all you can ask of PC, and he's done it.

I'm more concerned about goaltending depth than any other position though.  Right now anyway. But PC has the pieces if and when he needs to deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Good points by all with the key being depth at all levels of the organization.  That's all you can ask of PC, and he's done it.

I'm more concerned about goaltending depth than any other position though.  Right now anyway. But PC has the pieces if and when he needs to deal.

I may be concerned about goaltending depth for this year, if Tuuka were to sustain an injury, but I am not concerned long term at all.  Malcom and Gothberg seem like pretty darn good prospects.  If I have a concern position wise, it's right wing!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

They are getting older.  "What is Hamilton" is a question most of us have.

The farm has NHL players, but I don't see any poised to be Top 6 in the NHL outside of possibly Spooner.

I agree that there aren't any bluechipers in the system.  There aren't many in anyone's system that has had any recent success.

The underserving 7th player award winner! Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Whether the "window" term is used or not, accurately predicting the Cup worthiness of a team 5 years down the line seems a fool's errand.  Heck, anything more than 2 years ahead is iffy enough.  So I tend to agree, statements like those quoted in the OP are more crock than anything else.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I dont think the window is closing at all Mean, I think in some aspects it's just opening more. Young core, Bergeron,Krejci,Marchand,Lucic,Eriksson etc..Then you have young d-men like Bartkowski,Krug and Hamilton..Add that to the fact that Tuuka is still pretty young and I see nothing but good things for this team, especially with how the cap is projected to go up and alot of these young guys signed long term.

I agree. I think the B's are in very good shape going forward. They have the one thing you need to win in the NHL an excellent goalie.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

With some very good UFA's available most every year (in all sports), I'm not sure these so called windows mean as much as they did years ago. I think we are in good shape for the next few seasons. After that, it's basically a crapshoot for most all teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Blue chippers aren't necessary.  That's the lesson of the Bruins.  I mean, look at the roster last year pre-Jagr acquisition.  The only first rounders on the roster were Paille, Horton, Seguin, Hamilton and Rask.  This year, Rask, Hamilton, Iginla, Paille and Eriksson.  Other than Rask, the most important core players on this team are not first round "blue chippers".  You need the core to be built of guys who don't make $3M to start, and $6M after one good season to succeed in the Cap system.

Are you not entertained?!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

With some very good UFA's available most every year (in all sports), I'm not sure these so called windows mean as much as they did years ago. I think we are in good shape for the next few seasons. After that, it's basically a crapshoot for most all teams.

true number one d men don't become UFAs frequently. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Chara, and Suter. Pronger may have played for half the teams in the league, but they were always trades. 

I don't think the window will close for a long time, but there will be a big change at some point. Zdeno will stop being the effective number 1 guy that every stanley cup contender needs, and they will need to find one. It could be Hamilton. No way of knowing. He's going to be very very good, but no way of knowing if he'll be elite. In 4-5 years, the Bruins might have to make a huge trade to acquire a big name D man like Philly did with Pronger. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

I may be concerned about goaltending depth for this year, if Tuuka were to sustain an injury, but I am not concerned long term at all.  Malcom and Gothberg seem like pretty darn good prospects. [/QUOTE]

I would probably not comment on goalies in the Bruins system if you can't think of mentioning Svedberg. I have no reservations if Svedberg starts as the Bruins backup. When he is on his game he can shut his opponents down. AHL goalie of the year last season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Harry Sinden always the prime age for hockey players was from aproximately 27 to 32.  He is correct physiologically, psychologically, and addition to experience.  If one looks at the ages of the core minus Chara, Seidenberg, and Iginla.  Most of the players are still entering the lower end of the Sinden age bracket. Hamilton is a question, 20 year old with a couple more years to develop.  The farm system is not what it should be thus the changes in scouting this summer.  Overall though the team if it starts to draft well will be a competitive top 10 in a parity driven NHL for several more years.  EA sports predicts Blues win the Cup.  Bs predicted to lose to the Pens in the conference finals.  The team is competitive!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I would probably not comment on goalies in the Bruins system if you can't think of mentioning Svedberg. I have no reservations if Svedberg starts as the Bruins backup. When he is on his game he can shut his opponents down. AHL goalie of the year last season.

Oh all mighty San, please do tell me which posts I should comment on and which I shouldn't.  LOL  How could I have not thunk of mentioning Svedberg?  I clearly have no idea what I am talking about.  Did you hear me say that I had reservations if Svedberg starts as the backup?  That's right, no you didn't!  I believe I said if Tuuka were to sustain an injury.  Meaning that I don't like our chances if he or any of the other goalies in the system have to carry the Bruins for any length of time.  "When he is on", you mean like he was in the playoffs last year when he went 6-6 with a 3.29 GAA and .889 save %.  I realize that he had a depleted roster in front of him, especially on D, and the AHL playoffs are a funny scenario where not everyone wants to win when they are not getting paid, but he looked horrible in the last game of the year when I was in attendance.  I like him as a backup, but when you look at the goaltending depth in the East how do the B's stack up.

Is he better than: Gustavsson,Mason,Vokoun(if he returns), Biron, Reimer, Neuvirth, Khudobin, Brodeur,Budaj, Mcelhinney, Lindback, Enroth, Lehner, Markstrom, or Poulin?  How many games of NHL experience does he have?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Oh all mighty San, please do tell me which posts I should comment on and which I shouldn't.  LOL  How could I have not thunk of mentioning Svedberg?  I clearly have no idea what I am talking about.  Did you hear me say that I had reservations if Svedberg starts as the backup?  That's right, no you didn't!  I believe I said if Tuuka were to sustain an injury.  Meaning that I don't like our chances if he or any of the other goalies in the system have to carry the Bruins for any length of time.  "When he is on", you mean like he was in the playoffs last year when he went 6-6 with a 3.29 GAA and .889 save %.  I realize that he had a depleted roster in front of him, especially on D, and the AHL playoffs are a funny scenario where not everyone wants to win when they are not getting paid, but he looked horrible in the last game of the year when I was in attendance.  I like him as a backup, but when you look at the goaltending depth in the East how do the B's stack up.

Is he better than: Gustavsson,Mason,Vokoun(if he returns), Biron, Reimer, Neuvirth, Khudobin, Brodeur,Budaj, Mcelhinney, Lindback, Enroth, Lehner, Markstrom, or Poulin?  How many games of NHL experience does he have?

I have to admit Mean, when I read your post about the goalies I thought "why would he leave out Svedberg?"  It was confusing.  I think Svedberg is well ahead of Gothberg, who has hasn't even been the #1 goalie on his NCAA team yet.

I think other teams in the east have better sounding backups in terms of experience and NHL tenure for sure.  But Svedberg had a good season in the AHL, and I think the distance between a good AHL goalie and a good NHL goalie is much thinner than it is for position players.  PC and Co. must have thought highly of Svedberg to let Khudo leave when he signed for so little.  I think Svedberg is the top goalie prospect in the system.

But yeah, let's all pray for Tuukka's good health.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Harry Sinden always the prime age for hockey players was from aproximately 27 to 32.  He is correct physiologically, psychologically, and addition to experience.  If one looks at the ages of the core minus Chara, Seidenberg, and Iginla.  Most of the players are still entering the lower end of the Sinden age bracket. Hamilton is a question, 20 year old with a couple more years to develop.  The farm system is not what it should be thus the changes in scouting this summer.  Overall though the team if it starts to draft well will be a competitive top 10 in a parity driven NHL for several more years.  EA sports predicts Blues win the Cup.  Bs predicted to lose to the Pens in the conference finals.  The team is competitive!

EA completely messed up their prediction this year as they did not use the new playoff format they used the old one - they have Chicago winning the President's trophy, and then they have the Blues playing Minny in the first round, LA in the second round and the Hawks in the Conference final. In the new format this is mathematically impossible. If the Hawks win the Presidents they'd be first in the Central. In order for the Blues to play Minny in the first they'd have to stay in the Central and not go over as the Wild Card, with the Blues and Wild being in third and second (either way). In order for them to play LA in the second LA would have to come to the Central on the Wild Card, putting them in 4th, meaning the only way the Blues see them in the second is if the Kings knock out Chicago in the first round, meaning no conference final between the Blues and the Hawks.

I never put much stock into EA's simulation but this year it's even more useless as it is a mathematical impossibility.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I have to admit Mean, when I read your post about the goalies I thought "why would he leave out Svedberg?"  It was confusing.  I think Svedberg is well ahead of Gothberg, who has hasn't even been the #1 goalie on his NCAA team yet.

I think other teams in the east have better sounding backups in terms of experience and NHL tenure for sure.  But Svedberg had a good season in the AHL, and I think the distance between a good AHL goalie and a good NHL goalie is much thinner than it is for position players.  PC and Co. must have thought highly of Svedberg to let Khudo leave when he signed for so little.  I think Svedberg is the top goalie prospect in the system.

But yeah, let's all pray for Tuukka's good health.

Here's my take on why I don't consider Svedberg to be a Bruins prospect.  He is 24 years old, and Tuuka is 26 years old.  Tuuka is signed long term, Svedberg is an RFA at seasons end and like most young goalies will not want to be a backup for the next 5 years. If he continues to develop, he could be good trade bait, but either way he will want to start somwhere in the NHL or back in Europe.  Malcolm is 19 and Gothberg is 21.  They know and the Bruins know they have about 3-5 years to develop and then bring them into the mix with Tuuka.  To me a prospect is someone that will not be playing for the big club this year and in most cases not for a couple.  I fully expect Svedberg to play for the Bruins this season.  Again, I am just concerned by his lack of experience in the NHL in the case of Rask going down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Was there a particular goalie you would feel safer with at backup ? 

How much NHL experience do you want ?

The goalies you mentioned above did have 0 NHL experience at one time before they were given a shot. You made mention that you weren't confident about depth in net and then mention two goalies that havent even sniffed AHL play.

What did you think of Svedberg last night ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Was there a particular goalie you would feel safer with at backup ? 

How much NHL experience do you want ?

The goalies you mentioned above did have 0 NHL experience at one time before they were given a shot. You made mention that you weren't confident about depth in net and then mention two goalies that havent even sniffed AHL play.

What did you think of Svedberg last night ?

My quote again: I may be concerned about goaltending depth for this year, if Tuuka were to sustain an injury, but I am not concerned long term at all.  Malcom and Gothberg seem like pretty darn good prospects. 

Exactly, I like the potential of Subban & Gothberg long term from what I have read about them and the little I have seen of them.  IDK what's so hard to understand about what I said.  I am concerned that if Tuuka gets injured that the Bruins don't have a proven NHL backup to carry the load.  There are many goalies I would feel safer with at backup than Svedberg or Johnson.  Svedberg has one year of North American hockey under his belt.  He played very well in that time, as the starter getting into 48 games.  How well will he do against the best in the world playing once a week?

I am glad you are confident that the Bruins have depth in goal this season.  I am not, it's that simple.  I hope Tuuka remains healthy and I hope that Svedberg can build on his AHL regular season performance from last year.  In terms of last night, it appears that he played well, but I can't comment as I was at a concert last night and did not watch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Here's my take on why I don't consider Svedberg to be a Bruinsprospect.  He is 24 years old, and Tuuka is 26 years old.  Tuuka is signed long term, Svedberg is an RFA at seasons end and like most young goalies will not want to be a backup for the next 5 years. If he continues to develop, he could be good trade bait, but either way he will want to start somwhere in the NHL or back in Europe.  Malcolm is 19 and Gothberg is 21.  They know and the Bruins know they have about 3-5 years to develop and then bring them into the mix with Tuuka.  To me a prospect is someone that will not be playing for the big club this year and in most cases not for a couple.  I fully expect Svedberg to play for the Bruins this season.  Again, I am just concerned by his lack of experience in the NHL in the case of Rask going down.

That's all fair enough, but I think that Svedberg knows the order of things for goalies making the NHL -- you don't become a starter without serving as a backup first (with rare exceptions).  After this season, I don't see a lot of demand for Svedberg on other NHL teams that would be a whole lot better than his situation in Boston.  I think he'd be better off to stay on track in Boston, play as Tuukka's backup next year and then try to move into a starting role where ever he can after he establishes some NHL body of work.  So, I think a short 1-2 year deal would be in his best interest, and the Bruins.  I think he stays past this year.

I do agree with the age issue, where Subban and Gothberg are in the true 'prospect' age bracket, and Svedberg needs to get where he going in 3 years or so.  I just think that he's 2-3 years from starting in the NHL anyway, and his best shot at an NHL job might remain with the Bruins.  He's in no position to be asking for a job as #1, unless he blows the doors off the AHL this year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to red75's comment:

In response to islamorada's comment:

[QUOTE]

EA completely messed up their prediction this year as they did not use the new playoff format they used the old one - they have Chicago winning the President's trophy, and then they have the Blues playing Minny in the first round, LA in the second round and the Hawks in the Conference final. In the new format this is mathematically impossible. If the Hawks win the Presidents they'd be first in the Central. In order for the Blues to play Minny in the first they'd have to stay in the Central and not go over as the Wild Card, with the Blues and Wild being in third and second (either way). In order for them to play LA in the second LA would have to come to the Central on the Wild Card, putting them in 4th, meaning the only way the Blues see them in the second is if the Kings knock out Chicago in the first round, meaning no conference final between the Blues and the Hawks.

I never put much stock into EA's simulation but this year it's even more useless as it is a mathematical impossibility.

[/QUOTE]

That's really funny! Especially with news outlets quoting it.

Sections
Shortcuts