Window Closing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Window Closing?

I would say the window for the Bruins is hardly closing.  Zdeno Chara is extremely important, but people underestimate just how good and important Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand and Julien are to the success of this team.  They gernally gave all the credit to Thomas in the past, but once Rask shined last year that has quieted.  With your top-2 centers, top-2 wings and #1 goaler all under 28 you are in great shape for years to come.  Chara should be good for at least 2 or 3 more years, and beyond that amount of time it's hard to judge in today's NHL with a cap and young free agency.  The team's brightest young player, Hamilton, could potentially take over for Chara in a few years, making the team well built for succession.  With lots of depth in the system, the Bruins are well positioned for about the next 5 years.  To me that's a window that's just opening.  A closing window implies it's this year, maybe next year or bust.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

I would say the window for the Bruins is hardly closing.  Zdeno Chara is extremely important, but people underestimate just how good and important Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand and Julien are to the success of this team.  They gernally gave all the credit to Thomas in the past, but once Rask shined last year that has quieted.  With your top-2 centers, top-2 wings and #1 goaler all under 28 you are in great shape for years to come.  Chara should be good for at least 2 or 3 more years, and beyond that amount of time it's hard to judge in today's NHL with a cap and young free agency.  The team's brightest young player, Hamilton, could potentially take over for Chara in a few years, making the team well built for succession.  With lots of depth in the system, the Bruins are well positioned for about the next 5 years.  To me that's a window that's just opening.  A closing window implies it's this year, maybe next year or bust.

well said. i agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

That's really funny! Especially with news outlets quoting it.

Yeah, that makes it really pitiful - took me all of about 60 seconds of looking at it to realize they screwed up. Can't believe no sports reporters caught it. If they didn't have the Hawks winning the President's there is a chance, though improbable. It would require Chicago finishing 8th and the top team in the Pacific finishing first and the Kings finishing 7th and crossing to the Central, and Minny and the Blues finishing in the the 2nd and 3rd spots in the Central. It could also work if the top Pacific team was 2nd and Chicago was 7th and LA was 8th. But with them predicting first place for the Hawks it becomes an impossibility.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I don't buy this argument either. Look at the pipeline for Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago and it's all the same. No recent high drafts picks. The ones they have are either contributing on the ice now, or have been used to get players who contribute on the ice now. What's there to be down about? The reality is the truly special players like Chara all retire at some point, and new guys step in. The team will be just fine in 3-4 years when that time comes. So in the meantime, go for the wins now and worry about next year at the vaious deadlines. To have the discussion at the start of a season when the roster's looking good is just....odd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Well at some point PC has to find out if Svedberg can handle his nerve in a regular season game like when Thomas and Rask got their first starts. For both thomas and Rasks 1st starts were different, one the Bs stunk and the other the starter was injured. The difference between the 3 goalies at such a young age was only one dominated the AHL.

Hedberg, Theodore nor Garon are not the answers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to red75's comment:

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Harry Sinden always the prime age for hockey players was from aproximately 27 to 32.  He is correct physiologically, psychologically, and addition to experience.  If one looks at the ages of the core minus Chara, Seidenberg, and Iginla.  Most of the players are still entering the lower end of the Sinden age bracket. Hamilton is a question, 20 year old with a couple more years to develop.  The farm system is not what it should be thus the changes in scouting this summer.  Overall though the team if it starts to draft well will be a competitive top 10 in a parity driven NHL for several more years.  EA sports predicts Blues win the Cup.  Bs predicted to lose to the Pens in the conference finals.  The team is competitive!

EA completely messed up their prediction this year as they did not use the new playoff format they used the old one - they have Chicago winning the President's trophy, and then they have the Blues playing Minny in the first round, LA in the second round and the Hawks in the Conference final. In the new format this is mathematically impossible. If the Hawks win the Presidents they'd be first in the Central. In order for the Blues to play Minny in the first they'd have to stay in the Central and not go over as the Wild Card, with the Blues and Wild being in third and second (either way). In order for them to play LA in the second LA would have to come to the Central on the Wild Card, putting them in 4th, meaning the only way the Blues see them in the second is if the Kings knock out Chicago in the first round, meaning no conference final between the Blues and the Hawks.

I never put much stock into EA's simulation but this year it's even more useless as it is a mathematical impossibility.

[/QUOTE]

I see the Hockey News has also picked Chicago as the #1 team, and also the Blues as the eventual Cup winner.

Getting to be the trendy pick.

Regarding the window, it's simply impossible to guess how certain players will develop and how the rest of the league changes 5 years in advance, but I'll admit I don't even want to think about not having Chara in a Bruins' uniform.  I can't think of a more indispensible player to the Bruins' fortunes in a long time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I can only imagine what this thread would look like had the B's lost Game 7 to the Laffs!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I don't buy the "window closing" argument one bit. The forward core are all coming into their primes. The only issue I see is a lack of organizational depth on the wing. They're solid down the middle (as evidenced by the Spooner talk in the other thread). Beyond Chara and Seidenberg, they're chock-full of good defenders in their 20's. They have an outstanding goalie heading for his prime, and a few solid prospects behind him (the backup goalie situation may be rough for the next year or two, but expect it to get MUCH better after that).

Out of all the Bruins forwards, there are only what? Thornton (who shouldn't play at all based on skill), Iginla and Kelly are the only ones in their 30's. Seidenberg and Chara the only ones on D. They have 1 very good NHL goalie, and 3 others (Subban, Svedberg, and Gothberg) who all appear to be very good prospects (not a great bet, but how else can you project the future?).

This writer is a hack. He probably predicted the Patriots demise back in 2008.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

I can only imagine what this thread would look like had the B's lost Game 7 to the Laffs!

Can't imagine what my life would be like as a sports fan if the greatest thing that I ever witnessed in sports was different.

But I'd imagine that the sports world would be laughing. And in all reality, we'd be talking about a very different Bruins team (probably would have traded away half the team).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Well at some point PC has to find out if Svedberg can handle his nerve in a regular season game like when Thomas and Rask got their first starts. For both thomas and Rasks 1st starts were different, one the Bs stunk and the other the starter was injured. The difference between the 3 goalies at such a young age was only one dominated the AHL.

Hedberg, Theodore nor Garon are not the answers.

The key word in your post is find out.  This is why I originally stated I may be concerned about goaltending depth for this year.  Agree on the 3 that you mentioned, but what about the goalies that were available as free agents?  I would feel more comfortable with Ray Emery or Nick Khabibulin as the back up right now.  I understand that the cap plays into it and the chance in Emery's case to start.  But other than RW, I think the B's depth is weakest in goal for this season, just my opinion, not trying to rain on the Svedberg parade and I obviously want him to succeed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Svedberg is a sieve AHLer with no hope of ever playing as an NHL #1.

And you can take that to the bank!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I still think Johnson is getting the backup job with Svedberg heading back to Prov.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Those goalies I mentioned were the only UFA goalies within Chiarellis cap range. Ray Emery worked his way into a starting role. Khabiboulin is a good goalie but not worth stopping Svedberg from getting valuable NHL starts.

Can't find out till yah play them with the big boys!

PS. "Bartkowski is bum! End of story!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Svedberg is a sieve AHLer with no hope of ever playing as an NHL #1.

And you can take that to the bank!

I don't think people here are calling him a #1 but I think he has shown the ability to become a competent NHL goalie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I still think Johnson is getting the backup job with Svedberg heading back to Prov.

-Gerry Dee

I think this is the plan also. Svedberg will likely be the backup to Rask next season. This gives both he and Subban a year to further develop which is not a bad thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

-Gerry Dee

You coulld be right, but I think with the condensed schedule due to the Olympics and so many back to back games,  Johnson may start out as the back up. I just think, from what I've seen that Svedberg is better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

-Gerry Dee

You coulld be right, but I think with the condensed schedule due to the Olympics and so many back to back games,  Johnson may start out as the back up. I just think, from what I've seen that Svedberg is better.

[/QUOTE]

Rask made it look so easy last night that it was silly. It felt like he would pitch a shutout in the first 5 minutes. He makes it look effortless. He's a stud.