Wings announce $650M arena plan, Kiprusoff retiring and 10 off season musings.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wings announce $650M arena plan, Kiprusoff retiring and 10 off season musings.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9404228/detroit-red-wings-plan-arena-sports-district

"The Detroit Red Wings and city officials on Wednesday announced a $650 million plan for a new arena development for the NHL team in Detroit's downtown entertainment and sports district.

Plans for an 18,000-seat arena were announced by the team's owners and local economic development officials. Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch has long said he wanted a replacement for the 32-year-old Joe Louis Arena.

The new proposal -- essentially a framework of financing and development plans -- still needs to be approved by the city council and a handful of state and local agencies, but it's seen as an important first step. The Red Wings said there will be $367 million in private investment and $283 million in public funds in the complex, which would also include residential, retail and office space."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674597

Calgary Flames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff recently told general manager Jay Feaster he is leaning toward retirement, according to a report by Sportsnet.

Reporter Chris Johnston relayed via Twitter on Wednesday that he had spoken to Feaster, who said he spoke to Kiprusoff last week. The 36-year-old goaltender had one of his least successful seasons in 2012-13. He was limited to 24 games by injury and performance, and he finished 8-14-2 with a 3.44 goals-against average and .882 save percentage."

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/there+ever+doubt+again+clear+doesn+really+have+season/8549739/story.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

A Top 10 from Ken Warren

Buyouts begin 48 hours after the Stanley Cup is presented. The entry draft goes June 30. Free agency arrives July 5. Expect trades.

The level of intrigue is higher this year, given that the league’s biggest spenders need to dump salaries to get under the $63 million salary cap.

With that in mind, let’s look at the buzz around the Ottawa Senators and the rest of the hockey world.

1. NEAL AND NEIL IN OTTAWA?

Welcome to the financial squeeze play for Pittsburgh general manager Ray Shero.

Kris Letang is in line for an annual salary of $6-$7 million when he becomes an unrestricted free agent (UFA) following the 2013-14 season.

Yet on a team where Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury all own lucrative long-term deals — and with Pascal Dupuis (this year) and Chris Kunitz (next year) waiting in the UFA wings — how can it be done?

If the Penguins don’t re-sign Letang, they’ll trade him. If they sign Letang, something else has to give.

Senators general manager Bryan Murray should be one of many calling about Neal, the 26-year-old who has five years and $25 million remaining on his deal. The Senators bargaining chips in a possible trade include young prospects Stefan Noesen, Matt Puempel and Shane Prince.

2. AND ABOUT THE RYAN EXPRESS

Anaheim faces similar issues, with more than $34 million locked up in Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Cam Fowler and Jonas Hiller. Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu are unsigned.

The Murrays —Anaheim’s Bob and Ottawa’s Bryan — should talk about what it would take to bring Ryan to Ottawa. Ryan has two years and $10.2 million left on his contract. Ryan has scored 147 goals and 142 assists in 378 career regular season games. Neal has 134 goals and 120 assists in 354 games."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Re: Wings announce $650M arena plan, Kiprusoff retiring and 10 off season musings.

I can't believe it's being 32yrs for the Joe Louis arena. It seems like the old Olympic rink just closed. I remember the news clip  when they wheeled Joe out when they unvailed the arena.

I find it hard to believe that Heatley got a 6yr $45 mill contract.

Briere will not be out of work...He's going to be a good filler for some team...

Thanks for the read SanDog....love reading this stuff...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: Wings announce $650M arena plan, Kiprusoff retiring and 10 off season musings.

pens aren't trading neal. that's a phenomenal contract. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

The wings getting public dollars is ludacris!  Illitch has more money than God, he should build it with all of his own money!

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

The wings getting public dollars is ludacris!  Illitch has more money than God, he should build it with all of his own money!

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

I agree, but it sure would create jobs in a market that desperately needs them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

What the heck? Detroit and Michigan are bankrupt. Detroit's in such bad shape financially that the Governor turfed the elected city council and installed an unelected Emergency Manager to get the books in order. The state couldn't even afford to build a new bridge on the border so Canada is footing the entire bill. How the holy heck do Michigan and Detroit have the money to throw at the Wings and Illitch?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"$283 million in public funds"

Detroit has just told the world that they are so broke that they're going to default on goverment loan payments.

This country is sooooooooooo F'ED UP.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And today Detroit said they're going to look at cutting off all their pensions to save money. They're even looking at having a "going out of business sale" for their fine art gallery in order to raise some cash. So they're what? Going to hawk off all their Van Gogh's, Picasso's and Rembrandt's and give the money to Illitch? I love hockey, I'm an absolute fanatic, and even I'd balk at the thought of selling off priceless works of art while at the same time feeding $283 million to a hockey club.

NAS, this is total lunacy. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm sure the logic is that a $283 million investment will generate more than $283 million in revenues.  Not saying I support that logic, but the City has to invest in something that will bring jobs and revenue into Detroit.  This may be one of their only options, and perhaps Detroit is reacting to a proposed deal from a suburban city that would like to pull the Wings 10 miles outside of the City.  I bet there is more to the story...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm sure you're right Fletch, but I find the logic flawed, as has been evidenced by other arena schemes over the years. But they do have to do something - if this can make a few more jobs, even if it's just short term construction gigs, then so be it.

But when they're giving a cheque like this with one hand while the other hand is taking inventory of the art gallery, I find something pretty wrong. You might not be familiar with the DIA but it has one of the best publicly owned collections in the world.

The thought of spending money on a rink while you're looking at putting Rodin's The Thinker on the auction block doesn't sit well with me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Why even build a new area if it's going to be in Detroit, the place is like a 3rd world country. The Pistons were smart and moved out yrs ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Stan, as Fletch alluded to, that may be exactly why the city is putting up the money - they didn't want to lose the Red Wings to Auburn Hills like they did with the Pistons.

Getting out Detroit would be pretty tempting - god, If I were Illitch I'd even be looking at moving across the river.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You know what would put a lot of jobs in Detroit?

Build a hospital.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think they make hospitals that big.

I also red where Illitch owes the city of Detroit 6 figures in back taxes :faceplam

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

My freind moved out Michigan 10 years ago. he said the movie Gran Torino paints a pretty good picture of what it's like there. Some neighborhoods look like they hosted a war, and some have. Bad elements have moved in there. A good portion of them have no interest in working, just dealing and living off the goverment.

He said if some neighborhoods were to host a job fair, there would be tumbleweeds in the parking lot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Flint, Michigan is a ghost town!

Sections
Shortcuts