Winter Classic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: Winter Classic

In Response to Re: Winter Classic:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : NAS he said Heritage Classic, not Winter Classic. The Heritage Classic is the all-Canadian one, for the audience north of the border and broadcast on the CBC. It's the one intended only for hockey fans. For that game, which is not intended to be for American fans and looks like it will be eld every two years rather than annually, Jets/Leafs makes sense.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

You tell him, Red! LOL!!

NAS --> :-P

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : You tell him, Red! LOL!! NAS -- /> :-P
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

If they do Jets/Leafs or Jets/Canucks for the next one, then do the last two teams (Sens/Leafs or Sens/Van) for the one after that, then they'll have covered everyone. Though I can't see them doing Sens/Leafs  (no suitable stadium) unless there's a neutral site, like Hamilton (that'd be cool too - a pan-Ontario game). Then they can go back through the teams with say a Flames/Oilers game and Leafs/Habs game. Or if it has changed by then, a Nords/Habs game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : If they do Jets/Leafs or Jets/Canucks for the next one, then do the last two teams (Sens/Leafs or Sens/Van) for the one after that, then they'll have covered everyone. Though I can't see them doing Sens/Leafs  (no suitable stadium) unless there's a neutral site, like Hamilton (that'd be cool too - a pan-Ontario game). Then they can go back through the teams with say a Flames/Oilers game and Leafs/Habs game. Or if it has changed by then, a Nords/Habs game.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Oh I like that Sens/Leafs game in Hamilton idea! That would be sweet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : NAS he said Heritage Classic, not Winter Classic. The Heritage Classic is the all-Canadian one, for the audience north of the border and broadcast on the CBC. It's the one intended only for hockey fans. For that game, which is not intended to be for American fans and looks like it will be eld every two years rather than annually, Jets/Leafs makes sense.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of the statement. 

Marketing with the least popular item is bad news.

But hey, you're the marketing whiz who suggested using the Islanders in the Winter Classic. 

Thanks for the offer of the terminology lesson.  I'm aware of what I'm speaking about. 

Maybe they should play the Islanders vs. the Jets in Cheyenne, WY? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : I'm aware of the statement.  Marketing with the least popular item is bad news.But hey, you're the marketing whiz who suggested using the Islanders in the Winter Classic.  Thanks for the offer of the terminology lesson.  I'm aware of what I'm speaking about.  Maybe they should play the Islanders vs. the Jets in Cheyenne, WY? 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Disagree with this. At the moment the Jets are the most popular item up here because of their return. Choosing the Jets in a Heritage game would be a no brainer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

A Habs-Bruins winter classic would be so logical to me

On the other hand, very surprising that NYR and Maple Leafs haven't participate yet in that type of game !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

To be honest I'm more looking forward to a hopeful return of the 24/7 road to the winter classic than winter classic itself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]A Habs-Bruins winter classic would be so logical to me On the other hand, very surprising that NYR and Maple Leafs haven't participate yet in that type of game !!!
    Posted by Bruinsforever[/QUOTE]

I think they should do 2 in 1 day or something. Kind of like an NFL sunday. That would be badarsed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : Disagree with this. At the moment the Jets are the most popular item up here because of their return. Choosing the Jets in a Heritage game would be a no brainer.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Their first pre-season game was only available in 500,000 homes on TV - 490,000 of those tuned in. And yesterday's meaningless game in St John's was the fourth highest rated hockey game in Canada of 2011 so far, behind the Heritage Classic and games 6 and 7. And in most of the country it was a mid afternoon game on a Monday. I'd be willing to bet their Oct. 9 game is the highest rated NHL game in Canada of the year (and wouldn't be surprised if it gets numbers approaching the gold medal game).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : What do you mean "so many times?"   This year will be the second.  Exaggerate much?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Not really exaggerating. Every team should play once before repeating. So for that matter strike the Pens from my list to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think it's just idiotic that they married up with baseball for this, a baseball park has to be the worst venue for an outdoor hockey game.

How about actually having some FUN with this???  I think the old Harvard football stadium would have been more fun than Fenway.

Or figure out a way to beat the heat and have the game outside in Tampa, put a big temporary cover over the whole thing and air condition it or something.

Or temporary stands in NYC central park.

Or some good idea, if I had one I'd be in marketing or something.

Baseball stadiums are bad places to watch a sport like hockey.
    Baseball is boring.
    The teams they pick for this are boring, other than the year they played at Fenway.

Leave it to the NHL to have a decent idea and ruin it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

All kinds of great suggestions on this thread.  I think NYR-NJD would have been a good match.  Leafs - Jets would be a huge hit in Canada, though maybe better in the future if the teams actually become good.  In a year where there is no Heritage classic I think there should be a Bruins - Habs match up.  It would be well watched in both countries and would have a real historical feel to it.  NYR - NYI would also be good, but I would wait, again, until the Islanders have some people watching them. The Flyers are in again because they are a big draw and owned by Comcast.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's just idiotic that they married up with baseball for this, a baseball park has to be the worst venue for an outdoor hockey game. How about actually having some FUN with this???  I think the old Harvard football stadium would have been more fun than Fenway. Or figure out a way to beat the heat and have the game outside in Tampa, put a big temporary cover over the whole thing and air condition it or something. Or temporary stands in NYC central park. Or some good idea, if I had one I'd be in marketing or something. Baseball stadiums are bad places to watch a sport like hockey. Baseball is boring. The teams they pick for this are boring, other than the year they played at Fenway. Leave it to the NHL to have a decent idea and ruin it.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Dez, one idea I've heard kicked around out here is that if Vancouver gets it, they could have it at the Whistler Nordic Centre. You can't play an outdoor game in Vancouver, so you'd have to take it out of town. The idea is that with temporary seating the cross-country facility could hold about 40,000 fans. It's surrounded on all sides by forest and mountains. It would be a pretty unique and gorgeous place to play a game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

I thought for sure it was going to be Pens/Flyers again. At least people will be watching it. NO ONE would watch something like Sabres/Islanders at the New Yankme Stadium.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I think it's just idiotic that they married up with baseball for this, a baseball park has to be the worst venue for an outdoor hockey game. How about actually having some FUN with this???  I think the old Harvard football stadium would have been more fun than Fenway. Or figure out a way to beat the heat and have the game outside in Tampa, put a big temporary cover over the whole thing and air condition it or something. Or temporary stands in NYC central park. Or some good idea, if I had one I'd be in marketing or something. Baseball stadiums are bad places to watch a sport like hockey. Baseball is boring. The teams they pick for this are boring, other than the year they played at Fenway. Leave it to the NHL to have a decent idea and ruin it.

How about your backyard ?

rink in Feb 2011

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : I'm aware of the statement.  Marketing with the least popular item is bad news. But hey, you're the marketing whiz who suggested using the Islanders in the Winter Classic.  Thanks for the offer of the terminology lesson.  I'm aware of what I'm speaking about.  Maybe they should play the Islanders vs. the Jets in Cheyenne, WY? 

Out of curiosity NAS, who would you see playing in the Heritage Classic (just to be clear, the all-Canadian game)? Do you honestly think hosting the game in the Peg wouldn't draw a huge amount of interest?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic :  How about your backyard ?

It could happen!!! 

How about a letter writing campaign to NHL HQ???

Winter Classic at BadHab's house in 2013!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : It could happen!!!  How about a letter writing campaign to NHL HQ??? Winter Classic at BadHab's house in 2013!

Let's do it !

btw make sure that your wife doesn't see this thread or it's a no go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

To me it looks like Bettman is anticipating a Yankees-Phillies World Series again, like a couple of years ago, hence NYR and Flyers. Thus the NHL is possibly hoping to jump on some kind of sports rivalry between these two cities.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : Let's do it !   btw make sure that your wife doesn't see this thread or it's a no go.

too late, she saw it, but I got permission!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : Disagree with this. At the moment the Jets are the most popular item up here because of their return. Choosing the Jets in a Heritage game would be a no brainer.

They are the hot summer topic.  When hockey starts, and the Jets stink, all of the fans will return to their regularly scheduled obsessions.  They are as follows:

Habs fans:  Oh my God, this is a Cup team.

Leafs fans:  Oh my God, this is a Cup team.

Sens fans:  Oh my God, what happened to our Cup dream?

Flames fans:  We love Iggy, he is so mean.

Oilers fans:  They'll be great soon, right now they're just teens.

Come January, the interesting story of the Jets will be an interesting story of what they'll do with their lottery pick.  The people in the other hockey areas will be interested in their own teams.

Example:  Oilers vs Flames and Jets vs. anyone  Calgary and Edmonton are not watching the Jets game.

Another example:  Maple Leafs vs. anyone and Jets vs. anyone.  Toronto is not tuning into the Jets.

I understand that right now they're hot, hot, hot.  Soon, the interest will be as localized as it is in Edmonton.

Bad choice for the big game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : Out of curiosity NAS, who would you see playing in the Heritage Classic (just to be clear, the all-Canadian game)? Do you honestly think hosting the game in the Peg wouldn't draw a huge amount of interest?
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

Habs vs. Leafs

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

As long as NBC has corporations lined up to buy time everyone on this board will never agree on the matchups. It has to be big market teams or it won't work for the NHL owners who are filling their coffers because of the most hated man in Canada, the little midget attorney who can deliver.

The Heritage Classic will always work for Canada no matter who plays and I'll always watch because it's the only damn hockey game on that day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Bruins/Kings or Bruins/Stars for a good tilt or two.

In Response to Winter Classic:
    [QUOTE]Really!?!?!  We need to see the Flyers again!?!?!  This is getting unreal.  Pens/Sabers Hawks/Wings Bruins/Flyers Pens/Caps Rangers/Flyers Kind of ridiculous that we cant get some different teams in one of these.  Let me guess: 2013:  Hawks/Bruins 2014:  Wings/Pens 2015:  Flyers/Caps
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Winter Classic : Habs vs. Leafs

Habs played in it last year plus that outdoor game versus the Oilers in 2003. Enough. It's the all-CanadiAn game, not the all-CanadiEns game.