WITH/WITH OUT Ference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

WITH/WITH OUT Ference

Just came across a stat that really surprised me.  The past 2 season with Ference in the line up the Bruins are 61-34-14.  With out him they are 16-17-8.  Coincidence or>?  I know there are alot of Andrew Ference haters on this site so i figured i would share the stat and see what you guys thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

Re: WITH/WITH OUT Ference

It's probably 95% coincidence and 5% infulence. (Rosters have 20 players. See what I did with the math there? See?)

Ference is a solid player. He's well-rounded and smart, but he's undersized, not impressive to watch (not necessarily a bad thing), and he's not a real impact player (the Bruins have only a couple of those, in my opinion). For those reasons he'll probably always be underappreciated.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It's one of the many reasons Chiarelli resigned him BD. Did you count that by hand ? or did you email the question to someone ?  or is there a way to look it up under "split stats" or AFs "game logs" ?

Good stuff thanks for the info...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Ference is better than people realize.  I think that stat even extends back further, and he's been on a couple of good playoff runs with Calgary and Pittsburgh.  The key is that when you have a player of his caliber in your third pairing, there is no real weakness for teams to exploit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'm far too lazy to do this, but here is the analysis I would love to see:
    • Break down goals against the Bruins according to the type of player that scored them, basically "offensively talented" or "not".
    • See how the scoring percentages between those two categories changes when Ference is out of the lineup.
    Basically, I think it may be that, while Ference is undersized and not an impact player, he's good at shutting down guys on the other team that are not really expected to score - guys that would never see Chara on the ice at the same time as them.

The other option is that he's good at covering for stupid mistakes made by the lower lines.  This would show in how many goals are scored against the 4th line, perhaps.

The record difference is certainly one of those things that seems to defy logic.  You just know Ference is not only only one of 20 players, but not even a key cog.  Yet there is that record difference.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Ference is not Mr. Macho back on defense, but he is usually in good position.

Plus, he does move the play along and always looking forward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: WITH/WITH OUT Ference:
    [QUOTE]Ference is not Mr. Macho back on defense, but he is usually in good position. Plus, he does move the play along and always looking forward.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Well he does " drop em' " when required. And does a pretty good job i might add.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

He was a little bit off last year due to the hernia. This year he's been great. Watch the next time there's a scrum round the goalie. He'll be the guy clearing out bodies. Doesn't get on the scoresheet much but that's not what he's there for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: WITH/WITH OUT Ference:
    [QUOTE]It's probably 95% coincidence and 5% infulence. (Rosters have 20 players. See what I did with the math there? See?) Ference is a solid player. He's well-rounded and smart, but he's undersized, not impressive to watch (not necessarily a bad thing), and he's not a real impact player (the Bruins have only a couple of those, in my opinion). For those reasons he'll probably always be underappreciated.
    Posted by legolaspinkerton[/QUOTE]
    It's not just coincidence when the numbers are like that.The depth that Ference adds as a 3rd pairing D-man obviously makes the team better as a whole.

Sections
Shortcuts