World Cup of Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

World Cup of Football

The event is off to a great start. Goals, action, comebacks galore.

Is everyone watching? Don't miss out.

Let's take our minds off the Bruins for a while.

Go Azzurri!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: World Cup of Football

Brazil takes an amazing dive, gets the free kick and wins 2-1.

That's all the soccer I needed to see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At least it's an aerobic SPORT, not a GAME like baseball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

your loss....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and what about Lugano for Uruguay ? He looked like superman with both his arms out stretched, once in his own box and then in Costa Rica's to get the penalty shot.

I like soccer, I still play soccer but I detest the dives.  I hope hockey puts a stop to the embellishment and dives.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

never liked soocer, or futbal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yuichi Nishimura is a perfect ref for the NHL.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

My dad used to have the same narrow mind about hockey, which was one of the reasons I never played as a child. He used to spout off about how "there was a fight and a hockey game broke out." Could never see what an amazing game hockey is because he had made up his mind. Got my mom converted to hockey a few years ago, and now she calls me all the time during the playoffs, stressed out during big games and how the Bruins are playing.

Soccer is an amazing game; like hockey, it takes incredible skill, athletic ability, and effort. Also like hockey, one of the biggest things that separates the top players in the world from the also-rans isn't talent, but composure and decision-making. 

The irony of NAS saying he saw 1 dive and that's all he needed to see, is that you could take that same statement and apply it to a hockey game. Diving in hockey and diving in soccer are pretty similar: doesn't happen all the time, happens more with certain players than others, and always leaves a bad taste in your mouth when it works. The problem in both cases is that it DOES work. The refs in both sports can be fooled, especially when they have to make a split-second decision during the run of play in what are both fast games.

The refs in the World Cup have been mostly decent with a couple really, really bad decisions. The play has been excellent for the most part, and some games have been fantastic to watch (like Holland dismantling Spain, the reigning Cup holders). A few come-from-behind victories and the like, very good entertainment. Won't be a lot of productive work time for me today with two huge games in Group G today!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Also, the bad penalty negated the unlucky own-goal for Brazil. They won 3-1 on two perfectly-placed goals from Neymar and Oscar. :)

That toe-poke from Oscar to seal the deal was sublime, a goal-scorer's goal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My dad used to have the same narrow mind about hockey, which was one of the reasons I never played as a child. He used to spout off about how "there was a fight and a hockey game broke out." Could never see what an amazing game hockey is because he had made up his mind. Got my mom converted to hockey a few years ago, and now she calls me all the time during the playoffs, stressed out during big games and how the Bruins are playing.

Soccer is an amazing game; like hockey, it takes incredible skill, athletic ability, and effort. Also like hockey, one of the biggest things that separates the top players in the world from the also-rans isn't talent, but composure and decision-making. 

The irony of NAS saying he saw 1 dive and that's all he needed to see, is that you could take that same statement and apply it to a hockey game. Diving in hockey and diving in soccer are pretty similar: doesn't happen all the time, happens more with certain players than others, and always leaves a bad taste in your mouth when it works. The problem in both cases is that it DOES work. The refs in both sports can be fooled, especially when they have to make a split-second decision during the run of play in what are both fast games.

The refs in the World Cup have been mostly decent with a couple really, really bad decisions. The play has been excellent for the most part, and some games have been fantastic to watch (like Holland dismantling Spain, the reigning Cup holders). A few come-from-behind victories and the like, very good entertainment. Won't be a lot of productive work time for me today with two huge games in Group G today!

[/QUOTE]

Reminds me a lot of my dad also.  He used to say it all the time as a big soccer fan, hockey all they do is fight and there's no tactics in the game.  Although it's because of him I became a Bruins fan,  he loved Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and what about Lugano for Uruguay ? He looked like superman with both his arms out stretched, once in his own box and then in Costa Rica's to get the penalty shot.

I like soccer, I still play soccer but I detest the dives.  I hope hockey puts a stop to the embellishment and dives.

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.  I like it, I watch it, but it will always be marginalized in my mind and many others as long as the complete nonsense like the Brazil call continue to happen.  It's shameless.

How about a few new rules:  

1.  You can be red-carded for diving through post-game video review.  

2. If you get carried off on a stretcher, you can't jump up and come back in the game; you're done.

3.  If you stay down writhing in pain for more than 10 seconds, you have to come out for 5 minutes of game time.  

4. Yellow cards for wildly appealing to the ref at every whistle, I swear sometimes he's surrounding by 20 guys whining and doing that crazy Euro-Italian gesticulating.  

5.  Cards for excessive goal celebrations.  I was rooting for Costa Rica, but when that guy put the ball inside his jersey and starting running around sucking his thumb (while the other team is waiting to start play) I wanted to throw up.  The other team should be allowed to punch him...

6. Ireland should get qualifying spot in every Cup.

7. Celebrating players should just stop chasing the goal scorer around.  I hate the way he runs away and everyone has to chase him down, even when the goal was often set-up by his teammates and he just dinked it in.  Players should get more credit for assists.

8. Announcers that hang on the gooooaaal syllable for more than 2 seconds should be punched in the larynx.

9. Enough with the colors.  No fluorescent shoes and the goalies should stop dressing like cartoon characters.

10. Allow more hooligans in the stands.  Fan violence adds a lot of excitement when the teams are battling to another nil-nil tie on the ol' pitch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Dempsey is a warrior !  Got kicked in the face, broke his nose and continued to play.   Says who soccer players are not tough ?

Seriously was that a headbutt from Pepe on Muller in POR-GER game ?  Muller Plekaneced a little there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That's good for the US now Pepe can't play in Portugal's next game.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im a huge soccer fan, mostly English Premier league. And the world cup has been a good one so far. As for the diving, Im with you. Guys go down like they have been shot. Its ridiculous. They should all be ashamed when they act like that. I dont doubt they arent getting hacked out there, but cmon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.  I like it, I watch it, but it will always be marginalized in my mind and many others as long as the complete nonsense like the Brazil call continue to happen.  It's shameless.

2. If you get carried off on a stretcher, you can't jump up and come back in the game; you're done.

3.  If you stay down writhing in pain for more than 10 seconds, you have to come out for 5 minutes of game time.  

4. Yellow cards for wildly appealing to the ref at every whistle, I swear sometimes he's surrounding by 20 guys whining and doing that crazy Euro-Italian gesticulating.  

5.  Cards for excessive goal celebrations.  I was rooting for Costa Rica, but when that guy put the ball inside his jersey and starting running around sucking his thumb (while the other team is waiting to start play) I wanted to throw up.  The other team should be allowed to punch him...

7. Celebrating players should just stop chasing the goal scorer around.  I hate the way he runs away and everyone has to chase him down, even when the goal was often set-up by his teammates and he just dinked it in.  Players should get more credit for assists.

8. Announcers that hang on the gooooaaal syllable for more than 2 seconds should be punched in the larynx.

9. Enough with the colors.  No fluorescent shoes and the goalies should stop dressing like cartoon characters.

10. Allow more hooligans in the stands.  Fan violence adds a lot of excitement when the teams are battling to another nil-nil tie on the ol' pitch.

[/QUOTE]

You forgot the Own Goal (OG) rule.....Its stupid. The goal should be awarded to the last person who touched the ball. Just like in hockey. Last guy to touch the puck gets credit. I despise the OG ruling. In most cases the OG was affected in one way or another by the scoring teams player. So the ball was going wide and it took a deflection off a defensive player and went in. That should be awarded as a goal for the guy who kicked it not an OG.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I see Algeria are the New Jersey Devils of soccer,pretty boring style.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This... is pretty darn funny. Can't say I don't agree with a lot of this. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to bgrif008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im a huge soccer fan, mostly English Premier league. And the world cup has been a good one so far. As for the diving, Im with you. Guys go down like they have been shot. Its ridiculous. They should all be ashamed when they act like that. I dont doubt they arent getting hacked out there, but cmon.

[/QUOTE]

Best part when they get a penalty shot and they dove they cheer like they just scored a goal. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: World Cup of Football0

0 - 0 games are so exciting, Mexico was cheering as if they  had won. Great goalie, the sport needs more scoring. Refine offside and I will watch more frequently. But again soccer is sacrosanct! American football with quarterbacks is the same. BTW I liked the Dempsey remark above, a true American. 

"Don't judge me monkey" 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

I'm glad some of you are enjoying the games.

Still, some of you who have grown up with American sports are having difficulty with what is going on. That's understandable. American sports have no goal or goalies and they constantly stop the action to organize themselves and their thoughts. And you call football er..soccer to you, boring?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Soccer will never be popular in the U.S. Here it is a sport 99% of the people stop playing after the 4th grade.

I remember when Beckham came here, most thought he would add interest to the sport. Spent a night with him as I had the detail to guard his hotel door when he was here. You won't find a nicer guy, we went to the Cheescake Factory across the street and that guy singed every autograph and took every picture with a smile on his face, truly genuine.

Funny thing, there was a T.G.I Fridays attached to the hotel and the rest of the team went there. They all made sure they wore L.A Galaxy t-shirts so the girls would know who they are. Beckham doesn't have to do that. He was driven around in a blacked out Suburban with 2 huge bodyguards.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Still, some of you who have grown up with American sports are having difficulty with what is going on. That's understandable. American sports have no goal or goalies and they constantly stop the action to organize themselves and their thoughts. And you call football er..soccer to you, boring?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

to each his own , 0 to 0 is lame. The sport is played on a large field. It's a defensive game. Great cardio athletes and has a wonderful following. I find no goals as exciting as curling. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you what's not going on:   Scoring!  

I'll tell you what I have difficulty with:  wussbags diving and going full Ben Bishop.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

NAS, you no capeesh. Don't worry about. Just watch. It will come to you eventually.

After all, you learned how to enjoy baseball and American football.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I watch a lot of soccer. All year. Series A, La Ligue, Bundesliga and the Premiership. Gotta be honest. When I saw the tangle-up in the Germany/Portugal game involving Pepe for the Portuguese and Germany's Mueller I had to shake my head.

Both were going for possession of the ball. Pepe muscled Muller off the ball, his arms going across the German's chest as he held him off. Maybe Mueller played on Pepe's rep as a hothead but he held his face and dropped to the ground, seemingly in mortal pain. Perhaps Pepe decided the best way to show his displeasure with Muller was to headbutt him as he sat on the ground.

Mueller who just moments before was seated on the ground, holding his jaw with an agonized expression on his face immediately leaped to his feet, apparently now pain-free and showing plenty of anger towards Pepe's act. 

I love the game but this is the kind of flagrant, shameless, contrived hokiness that'll keep soiling the skills involved in the North American sports consciousness.

Sections
Shortcuts