World Cup of Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Re: World Cup of Football

Sure soccer isn't for everyone. Its nuanced and a different skill set than other sports. The reality is, soccer/football is coming to the United States and the off-the-cuff "stop playing after 4th grade" comments aren't rooted in fact. It simply doesn't matter who is playing, it's who is watching. Dollars follow eyes in the business of sports TV.

"Football remains the most popular sport among young adults, but soccer is the runner-up. Thirty-two-percent of young adults say football is their favorite sport, compared to 13 percent who say soccer, 10 percent who say basketball and just 7 percent who say baseball. Further, soccer fans tend to be much younger than other fans. The average age of Americans who say soccer is their favorite sport is just 37, while the average age for football fans is 46 and for baseball 53."

Where is hockey on that list? Sadly, not on it. I sure wish it was more popular and got more coverage. But if young fans are latching on to soccer, you can sure expect to see more of it on the tube.

GO USA!!

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

300 million North Americans, and a few Americans on this board, can't stand the sport of football.

These same people are preaching everything wrong about the sport that 6.7 BILLION around the world love. The rest of the world will never buy into that.

World Football generates 10 times the amount of North American Sports combined - it dwarfs North American Sports absolutely.

Don't get me wrong. I love hockey. The other sports - that is just for wasting time, energy and showing off machismo. The later having nothing to do with sport. Plus, the essential element of these other sports are the hands. I guess North Americans can't do anything without their hands.

[/QUOTE]

And how many of those 6.7Bn have free speech?  How many have open elections? 

[/QUOTE]

Even if it was true which it isn't... Whats that got to do with it? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to mattbs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You Italians just get excited about things you have a chance of winning, along with greasy ponytails and dramatic hand gestures...;)  Of course you love soccer!

[/QUOTE]

Greasy poney tails?  you must be drunk like a typical scott/irish.  And for the people that don't like the game because of the dramatics... really?  Whats more ridiculous than a staged fight or a 230 pound hockey player doing a 360 spin dives when a stick touches them.  You watch a sport for its good qualities and you tolerate the bad because all sports have poor qualities.

[/QUOTE]

finally I agree with you ;) not then Irish/Scot part though.

You just can't feed soccer to some North American sports fan.  Just like some cannot stand baseball or Basketball . It's like the Aussie that just hates American football.   

I don' t expect the non-soccer fans to sway me away from the sport  the same way I cannot convince them they're missing out on a good sport.

p.s. Italy was pathetic yesterday ! dumb coach changed up the team that beat England . Anyway, we can all see it was not a great win beating the English , they suk azz as well .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Speaking of Soccer, where's Commie? I see his beloved Solo is in jail.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love the game but this is the kind of flagrant, shameless, contrived hokiness that'll keep soiling the skills involved in the North American sports consciousness.

[/QUOTE]

Trouble is,this type of thing happens 8 or 9 times a game,every game,its part of soccer and will never go away.Distinguishing the diving from the real fouls has to be tough for the referee and when he awards a penalty shot for a blatant dive that alters a games final outcome,its a shame,but happens quite often. Diving & soccer are a marriage that will last forever,unfortunately. 

[/QUOTE]

No change in sight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, red. Something about her being charged with domestic assault against her sister and 17 year old nephew. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/hope-solo-domestic-assault-charge/index.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I said:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Different people grow on on the same planet in very different worlds.  Yay.  The people of Iran really love their soccer.  Great.  Oooh la la.  Look at the 95% of the population who live in shantytowns in Brazil and how much they love their soccer.  Man, we Americas must be doing this whole sports thing wrong.  The Chinese love it and because they're also humans, they're just like us.

No.

Different cultures are different.  Just because other cultures love it, doesn't mean that Americans are fouled up because they don't.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I said:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Different people grow on on the same planet in very different worlds.  Yay.  The people of Iran really love their soccer.  Great.  Oooh la la.  Look at the 95% of the population who live in shantytowns in Brazil and how much they love their soccer.  Man, we Americas must be doing this whole sports thing wrong.  The Chinese love it and because they're also humans, they're just like us.

No.

Different cultures are different.  Just because other cultures love it, doesn't mean that Americans are fouled up because they don't.  

[/QUOTE]

U really should drop it, the more u babble on about this the more ridiculous you sound.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Because the nations of England, Netherlands, Scotland, Norway, Germany, France, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Belgium, Finland etc. are so oppressed. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I think soccer will eventually be the number one sport in North America as well.  Most immigrants who come here love it.  Also, I know where I live a lot more kids play now than when I was a kid thirty years ago.  A lot of parents who can't afford to have their kids play hockey will enrol them in soccer.  Also, with concussions on the news lately, some parents see hockey or football as too violent for their kids.  The ones who grow up playing it like it as much as I like hockey.

-GNB, King Of The Forum

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Because the nations of England, Netherlands, Scotland, Norway, Germany, France, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Belgium, Finland etc. are so oppressed. 

[/QUOTE]

Did anyone mention those countries being oppressed, Red?  Have you gone all Chowda, Dez, Sandog on me here?  

My point was that different nations loving the game of soccer doesn't mean the US is wrong.

Christ, clicking on a thread these days is like playing a game of Reetard Roulette.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, red. Something about her being charged with domestic assault against her sister and 17 year old nephew. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/hope-solo-domestic-assault-charge/index.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/hope-solo-domestic-assault-charge/index.html

[/QUOTE]

It's funny, and disturbing, how many things relate back to this board sometimes.  I saw that story last night and I immediately laughed thinking about Commie.  Otherwise, I don't really see why that news story should be funny or enjoyable for me...and I don't have a thing against Hope Solo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE] Speaking of Soccer, where's Commie? I see his beloved Solo is in jail.[/QUOTE]

Next up boxing match with Tonya Harding followed by a book against "domestic violence".

Hollywood agents and there schemes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

finally I agree with you ;) not then Irish/Scot part though.

You just can't feed soccer to some North American sports fan.  Just like some cannot stand baseball or Basketball . It's like the Aussie that just hates American football.   

I don' t expect the non-soccer fans to sway me away from the sport  the same way I cannot convince them they're missing out on a good sport.

p.s. Italy was pathetic yesterday ! dumb coach changed up the team that beat England . Anyway, we can all see it was not a great win beating the English , they suk azz as well .

[/QUOTE]

My only point is that people is this country, or anywhere else, might dislike parts of soccer for reasons other than not being globally sophisticated, understanding the nuances, or being not being tied to the glorious old country.

I like the World Cup and spent half of my day yesterday watching it.  I'll definitely be watching the US play today. But...I am consistently reminded when I watch soccer why I like other sports better.  And yes, a lot of it has to do with the continuous efforts to bait the ref, fake fouls, exaggerate injuries, and otherwise attempt to cheat the other team.  That stuff actually bothers me more than the lack of scoring. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I said:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

For one, I never said North Americans are foul for not liking it but they are foul when they insult or criticize the game as if it's irrelevant.  I see it as an inferiority complex... especially with the hockey world.  Two, in all those countries you mentioned I don't even think soccer is the number one sport.  I believe cricket and rugby are up there which by the way are very similar to two other American sports.  Messi, an Argentinian who is the greatest soccer player in the world yet he wasn't even ranked in the top 5 in popularity of current athletes in Argentina.  Central America's biggest sport is baseball.  And really, there is not much difference between the poor guy in the U.S. ghetto playing basketball and baseball as the poor guy in Brasil playing soccer.

Soccer is the biggest in Western Europe where the culture and political system is most like North America.  So my point is it's not so much about the "status, freedom and politics" of a country.  I love hockey all year round, I love soccer on a national team level and I will watch baseball, basketball and football when my favourite teams are in.  Do I think diving in soccer is dumb? Yes but I can see many dumb things in the other sports.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

For one, I never said North Americans are foul for not liking it but they are foul when they insult or criticize the game as if it's irrelevant.  I see it as an inferiority complex... especially with the hockey world.  Two, in all those countries you mentioned I don't even think soccer is the number one sport.  I believe cricket and rugby are up there which by the way are very similar to two other American sports.  Messi, an Argentinian who is the greatest soccer player in the world yet he wasn't even ranked in the top 5 in popularity of current athletes in Argentina.  Central America's biggest sport is baseball.  And really, there is not much difference between the poor guy in the U.S. ghetto playing basketball and baseball as the poor guy in Brasil playing soccer.

Soccer is the biggest in Western Europe where the culture and political system is most like North America.  So my point is it's not so much about the "status, freedom and politics" of a country.  I love hockey all year round, I love soccer on a national team level and I will watch baseball, basketball and football when my favourite teams are in.  Do I think diving in soccer is dumb? Yes but I can see many dumb things in the other sports.

[/QUOTE]

Great post Matt,i see your posts are much more expansive when it comes to something you seem very passionate about.You're postings about the Bruins in the past have been rather short,so i would take from this you love soccer more than hockey? I like watching soccer by the way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great post Matt,i see your posts are much more expansive when it comes to something you seem very passionate about.You're postings about the Bruins in the past have been rather short,so i would take from this you love soccer more than hockey? I like watching soccer by the way.

[/QUOTE]

As a TV sport there is nothing better than watching my Bruins.  Watching a sport live there is nothing better than watching the best players in the world play soccer.  Think about it, fans go crazy when a NFL player makes a 40 yard reception.  In soccer same thing happens all the time instead the QB and the receiver use their feet to throw and catch.  Also, I really like to watch the off the ball player movement, ball possession and team strategies.  Add to that the enthusiasm of the fans in the stadium you can't help but to get chills.

The reason I write less about hockey is because sometimes I feel I am just repeating myself and I only write about soccer every two years :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And I never said you said anything.  I was talking with Wheat and you jumped in.

I think soccer is a boringass sport.  It doesn't matter if I'm an American or not.  It doesn't matter if every other person on the planet likes it.  It isn't an inferiority complex.  It's an opinion.  Soccer sucks.  I've never liked it.  I didn't like it when my dad signed me up to play it and I did like it when I played it.  I don't like to watch it.  I don't like to hear about it.  I wouldn't care if the sport was wiped off the planet in the morning.

A bunch of guys running around for however long the game lasts (because they don't tell you when it's going to end until it does HOW STUPID IS THAT) and once in a while they score.  The rest of the time, nothing happens.  I hate it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

As a TV sport there is nothing better than watching my Bruins.  Watching a sport live there is nothing better than watching the best players in the world play soccer.  Think about it, fans go crazy when a NFL player makes a 40 yard reception.  In soccer same thing happens all the time instead the QB and the receiver use their feet to throw and catch.  Also, I really like to watch the off the ball player movement, ball possession and team strategies.  Add to that the enthusiasm of the fans in the stadium you can't help but to get chills.

The reason I write less about hockey is because sometimes I feel I am just repeating myself and I only write about soccer every two years :)

[/QUOTE]

This just magnifies how much I hate soccer.  They throw and catch with their feet.  Idiots.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm glad some of you are enjoying the games.

Still, some of you who have grown up with American sports are having difficulty with what is going on. That's understandable. American sports have no goal or goalies and they constantly stop the action to organize themselves and their thoughts. And you call football er..soccer to you, boring?

[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you what's not going on:   Scoring!  

I'll tell you what I have difficulty with:  wussbags diving and going full Ben Bishop.  

[/QUOTE]

Highest Goal scoring world cup so far. Definitely a lot more exciting than some in the past.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True enough Matt,2 yrs worth of pent up soccer energy & thoughts,who'd a thought you would be able to do it on a hockey forum,anyway enjoy the games!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

NBA - Not a fan

MLB - Catch a game here and there during World Series. Enjoy going every once in ten years.

NFL- Catch a game here and there during playoffs, if Im unlucky. Love College Football, but really find the NFL awfully boring and slow. I just cannot pin point what it is, because all my complaints about the NFL happen in college. Too much time between plays, that gets a yard or two on the play. Too many commercials. Just no flow to the NFL. Not sure why College Football works for me and NFL does not.

NHL - Like it alot, use to Love it, but since the B's won the cup, Ive lost a little interest in it. I use to Breathe, eat and sleep hockey, but now if I catch a game.....good, but could miss several and care less. Not sure why, Ive lost interest in a sport I use to be such a diehard with.

Soccer - English Premier League Soccer, I like just as much if not more now, than hockey. I look forward to my Saturday and Sunday mornings with a cup of coffee, laying on the couch watching EPL. For me, its a great way to start the weekend. Now for the MLS, I cant get into it. I dont watch it at all. Its a shame.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I have little use for soccer, but the World Cup is worth watching.

Watched the 1-0 win by Belgium over Russia.  On the play, 2 Russian players go into full flop mode just outside the box, and Belgium scores on the "rush".

The flopping is unreal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Never need an excuse to barbecue during the summer but tonight's US match was enough. Looking forward to this match so I can have fun talking smack to my Portegeesee friends from Fall River manana.

Best matches for me so far:

England-Italy

US-Ghana

Chile-Spain

Italy-Costa Rica

Germany-Ghana

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Never need an excuse to barbecue during the summer but tonight's US match was enough. Looking forward to this match so I can have fun talking smack to my Portegeesee friends from Fall River manana.

Best matches for me so far:

England-Italy

US-Ghana

Chile-Spain

Italy-Costa Rica

Germany-Ghana

[/QUOTE]

Loved these two as well, the Germany/Ghana second half was,as the English announcer said,quite absorbing.