World Cup of Hockey targeted for '16 plus Seattle and Quebec discussion back again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

World Cup of Hockey targeted for '16 plus Seattle and Quebec discussion back again.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11033971/nhl-players-union-talks-another-world-cup-hockey

With discussions on a return of the almost forgotten World Cup of Hockey taking longer than anticipated, the next World Cup tournament might take place in the fall of 2016 and could be held in Toronto instead of multiple locations, including European cities. And that's a good thing.

For a long time, it was believed the NHL was hoping to resurrect the tournament -- held just twice, in 1996 and 2004 -- for the fall of 2015 in the hopes of avoiding having to go up against the 2016 Summer Olympics, during which broadcast revenues, advertising dollars and general interest might be more difficult to come by.

But that’s not likely to happen, sources told ESPN.com, and the fall of 2016 is now the prime target, assuming details between the league and the NHL Players' Association can be ironed out. Commissioner Gary Bettman admitted while talking to the media Wednesday in Los Angeles it would have been nice to announce a firm date for the World Cup, but that didn’t happen.

"We're not ready," Bettman said. "It's not something that's fully baked." Still, if the NHL is going to finally get behind the tournament and schedule it on an ongoing basis -- and that is the plan, to grow it into the world's best hockey tournament -- it needs to be in a pattern that makes sense, and that means a logical pattern, starting in 2016.

By having the tournament in 2015, the league would have pretty much cut itself off from future Olympic competition with the next Winter Olympics set for South Korea in 2018. How would the World Cup fit in with that rotation if the NHL had a tournament in 2015? The short answer is, it wouldn't.

At some point, the NHL will decide whether it will continue to take part in the Olympics, although Bettman said Wednesday the league has not given it much, if any, consideration, even though the Sochi Games in Russia in February were considered, on most levels, a terrific success.

The two events are not related in that the World Cup is intended to happen, regardless of whether the NHL continues to take part in the Winter Olympics, but they are related in that they both fall under the long-term planning being undertaken by the league and the players’ association toward building a comprehensive international calendar.

________________________________________________________________________________________

"The commissioner also said the NHL isn't planning imminent expansion, but is willing to listen to proposals. Seattle and Quebec City have been mentioned frequently as expansion targets, but both have significant problems as NHL homes.

Microsoft billionaire Steve Ballmer, who partnered with lead investor Chris Hansen last year in an attempt to move the Sacramento Kings to Seattle, is finalizing a deal to buy the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion. Hansen still hopes to build a large arena in Seattle to house teams from the NBA and the NHL, but has said he isn't interested in being a majority owner of an NHL team.

Bettman flew to Seattle during the playoffs to meet with city officials. "Seattle seems to have the most number of people interested," Bettman said. "The fact is there's no building that's on the horizon. The person who controls the rights to build a building in Seattle is intent upon having an NBA team before he builds a building. Based on what's happened to date, and the fact that his partner has now bought a different franchise, I don't know that there's any prospect of a building in Seattle.

"It's nice that there's interest, but there's really not a whole lot for us to do with it." Small-market Quebec City is building the $400 million, 18,000-seat Quebecor Arena to be ready in September 2015. But the NHL's potential return to the former home of the Nordiques could further unbalance the league's makeup -- particularly without an expansion to Seattle. The Eastern Conference has 16 teams, and the West has 14 after last summer's realignment.

"If we get to a point where there's enough interest in enough places that it warrants consideration, then the Board of Governors may well invoke a formal expansion process and we'll look at everything," Bettman said. "I don't think this is something you do on a piecemeal basis."

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: World Cup of Hockey targeted for '16 plus Seattle and Quebec discussion back again.

I would love to see a team in Seattle and to a lesser degree, Quebec. However, expansion isn't how this should happen. It's been beat to death on this board but it makes so much more sense to relocate a couple franchises and chalk it up to a failed experiment. Phoenix to Seattle and Florida to Quebec, perhaps. That's not likely as long a Mr. Expansion is the commish. This guy won't be happy until the Havana Huevos are playing to ex-pats in Cuba.

Re: the balance issue - Put the Quebec team in the Western Conference. When they complain, just shrug and pretend you don't understand French.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: World Cup of Hockey targeted for '16 plus Seattle and Quebec discussion back again.

"This guy won't be happy until the Havana Huevos are playing to ex-pats in Cuba."

Free cigars for all the New York execs 

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Bettman has been pretty emphatic that the League is not interested in expansion for a while. I guess with the likes of Phoenix, Florida, and others who can blame him?

That said, I would love to have the Nords back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Would love the Nords back in the league.  Get Hartford back as well and then redo the division to the Adams division.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would love the Nords back in the league.  Get Hartford back as well and then redo the division to the Adams division.  

[/QUOTE]

Heated rivalries and good times.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE]

Get Hartford back as well and then redo the division to the Adams division.  [/QUOTE]

Hockey at the Mall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Expand in Seattle and Kansas City.  New Jersey moves to Quebec City.  The league has 16 teams in each conference.  The 29 fans who follow the Devils can cheer for the Rangers or the Brooklyn Islanders.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:[QUOTE] Expand in Seattle and Kansas City.  New Jersey moves to Quebec City.  The league has 16 teams in each conference.  The 29 fans who follow the Devils can cheer for the Rangers or the Brooklyn Islanders. [/QUOTE]

So true, quit enough hockey teams in the tri-state area.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Expand in Seattle and Kansas City.  

[/QUOTE]

Go Scouts!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Where and when the NHL expands or moves could end up having a lot to do with the Milwaukee Bucks.

With all the craziness around the sale of the Clippers, the sale on May 15th of the Bucks went largely unnoticed.

The new owners Herb Kohl, Marc Lasry and Wes Edens have been adamant that they need a new arena and that's their first priority.

This matters to the NHL in 2 ways. If they get their new arena, you've got a new building in an existing American Hockey market that also has an interested potential owner in Admirals owner Harris Turer.

If they don't get their new arena there's already been talk of the necessity of the team moving. That one's not just a threat from the new owners. The NBA has mandated that the Bucks have a new facility operable by 2017. No so no new arena and they move. Guess what city they'd likely end up in?

A move to Seattle by the Bucks would trigger the clause for the new arena there.

So 2 existing American hockey markets will most likely have their arena fates decided by the Bucks. Where ever the Bucks new arena is built, whether it's in Milwaukee or Seattle, I thinks it's a good bet aan NHL team will quickly follow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Where and when the NHL expands or moves could end up having a lot to do with the Milwaukee Bucks.

With all the craziness around the sale of the Clippers, the sale on May 15th of the Bucks went largely unnoticed.

The new owners Herb Kohl, Marc Lasry and Wes Edens have been adamant that they need a new arena and that's their first priority.

This matters to the NHL in 2 ways. If they get their new arena, you've got a new building in an existing American Hockey market that also has an interested potential owner in Admirals owner Harris Turer.

If they don't get their new arena there's already been talk of the necessity of the team moving. That one's not just a threat from the new owners. The NBA has mandated that the Bucks have a new facility operable by 2017. No so no new arena and they move. Guess what city they'd likely end up in?

A move to Seattle by the Bucks would trigger the clause for the new arena there.

So 2 existing American hockey markets will most likely have their arena fates decided by the Bucks. Where ever the Bucks new arena is built, whether it's in Milwaukee or Seattle, I thinks it's a good bet aan NHL team will quickly follow.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting stuff, red. Handicap this for me....how likely are the Bucks to get their new building in Milwaukee?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Arena plans aren't set yet but estimates are a cost of between $350 million and $500 million. They have $200 million of that lined up in private funds, so at the lower end they're $150 million short at minimum. It's already known they're not getting one penny from the State of Wisconsin, Governor Walker has made that clear.

So any additional funding would either be from the city or county, or a miraculous private investor. So handicap it?

I'd put the odds at 50/50.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Oh btw - I mentioned Herb Kohl as an owner, but he actually sold the Bucks to Lasry and Edens. However, he is putting in $100 million out of his pocket to the building, so I don't know what ownership of the team or facility that gives him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE] A move to Seattle by the Bucks would trigger the clause for the new arena there.

So 2 existing American hockey markets will most likely have their arena fates decided by the Bucks. Where ever the Bucks new arena is built, whether it's in Milwaukee or Seattle, I thinks it's a good bet aan NHL team will quickly follow. [/QUOTE]

If Microsoft billionaire Steve Ballmer is a backer, not majority owner as he has stated, I still think he would easily find more investors because of his clout. 

Heck they could build an NHL hockey arena in Madison and it would draw well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Seattle Sockeye 2016! Register you URLs now.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I have to believe that the league is not planning to stick with 30 teams and the goofy uneven conferences.  I'm not sure who goes out west with Seattle, but having it harder to make the playoffs in the east instead of the west is messed up for a competitive enterprise.  The available money in expansion for two more teams is going to be too much to pass up too.  I believe that a 32 team league is inevitable.

I grew up going to a lot of games at the Mall, and I have a soft spot for Hartford, rival or not.  But, that city really couldn't support a team.  It's a suitcase city and the popularity of NY (90 minutes away) and Boston (75 minutes away) would sink it.  Quebec and Seattle make sense to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I grew up going to a lot of games at the Mall, and I have a soft spot for Hartford, rival or not.  

[/QUOTE]

Me too. Fond memories. Always was my second favorite team next to the B's. My father is a diehard B's fan but was too cheap to go see them in Boston so the Whalers were the "alternative."

Fav players growing up: Francis, Dineen, Ferraro, and Zalapski (just loved the name actually)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I grew up going to a lot of games at the Mall, and I have a soft spot for Hartford, rival or not.  

[/QUOTE]

Me too. Fond memories. Always was my second favorite team next to the B's. My father is a diehard B's fan but was too cheap to go see them in Boston so the Whalers were the "alternative."

Fav players growing up: Francis, Dineen, Ferraro, and Zalapski (just loved the name actually)

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya jmw.  I loved Dineen.  Also enjoyed watching that line of Sanderson-Cassels-Verbeek in the late years.  The classic lineup of The Shooter, The Passer, and The Net-Crashing Mucker.

And with Zarley Zalapski and Randy Cunneyworth out there, they had some great hockey names.

Such a strange venue -- escalator...Cinnabon...Sunglasses Hut...Lidz...oh look, an NHL game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

One man's opinion, bring back the Canada Cup.  September is a perfect time every two years.  I personally don't like Olympic hockey.  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

And with Zarley Zalapski and Randy Cunneyworth out there, they had some great hockey names.

Such a strange venue -- escalator...Cinnabon...Sunglasses Hut...Lidz...oh look, an NHL game.

[/QUOTE]

Hahaha..Cunnyworht..brilliant!!!

Strange venue indeed but awesome for a kid. Oh, honourable mention to Torrie Robertson, and the rest of the muckers. Man too bad they were in a tough division..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:[QUOTE]One man's opinion, bring back the Canada Cup.  September is a perfect time every two years.  [/QUOTE]

The KHL starts around this time so Bettman will have some work to do.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Agreed yet Putin's action in the Ukraine and the fear he spreads in Eastern Europe would make both the World Cup of Hockey and the Olympics in 2018 a mystery in participation. I like the Cup of hockey in September and the KHL should adjust . I am rambling but I think you know my point. 

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to islamorada's comment:[QUOTE]One man's opinion, bring back the Canada Cup.  September is a perfect time every two years.  [/QUOTE]

The KHL starts around this time so Bettman will have some work to do.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo, I am being nostalgic but Patrice Bergeron was a Nord fan. Quebec is a perfect city for Floridah. Hartford should have never left the mall. Although the thought if living NC with hockey is a nice thought for me.  Yet, Hickey is a regional game but more importantly a cold weather sport. It is not soccer. 

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]