World Juniors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

World Juniors

I just heard on TSN that team USA's captain Zucker guaranteed a win against Canada tomorrow night.  Pretty bold call after the two upset losses USA has been dealt.  I could see this being a possibility as the game doesn't mean much to Canada as they have already won top spot in group B and USA is all but out of the medal rounds. Eventhough I am Canadian I wish USA won today to make for a much bigger game tomorrow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

Re: World Juniors

Goaltending lost the Finland game.  The score was tied 1-1 in third and the US had a man advantage.  The goalie proceeded to get a stupid penalty, negating the man advantage and then he let in a real soft goal to give the Finns the lead.

Didn't see todays game.  Too bad tomorrows new year's eve game will be meaningless.  I was looking forward to it.  Can't wait for the next round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Rufus the US weren't going to beat Canada nor Russia in the medal rounds anyways. Blais confirmed this by being out coached by Finland and the Czechs bench bosses. I'm looking for forward to watching Canadian, Swedish and Russian kids whom aren't looking forward to getting back to beer bongs n frat parties on their college campuses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I hope tonight the U.S. shows and makes this a contest.
    The other night I the Russia no contest (14-0) against Latvia last night where Khokhlachev got 2goals.
    Probably not a good measuring stick playing Latvia but the Russians looked un-stoppable. They can pivot on a dime , change direction going full speed with the puck and pass the puck with precision.
    Their captain Kuznetsov got 8 points and was outstanding (linemate 7 points).
    I'm very very curious to see what they do against Sweeden .

Do they really have only 1 player that won gold the year before ? Can anyone confirm this ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=608837

"Kuznetsov, Russia's only returning player from last year's gold medal winning squad, finished with three goals and six assists. He ended up one shy of tying Peter Forsberg's record for points in a World Junior Championship game when he put up 10 against Japan in 1992"

Ahh the wonders of the internet...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: World Juniors:
                      http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=608837 "Kuznetsov, Russia's only returning player from last year's gold medal winning squad, finished with three goals and six assists. He ended up one shy of tying Peter Forsberg 's record for points in a World Junior Championship game when he put up 10 against Japan in 1992" Ahh the wonders of the internet...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Thanks, 
    I heard that from the commentator and was surprised the other night. Some of those Russians look like vets. In fact many of them are already playing against men in the KHL.
    Their 17 year old star Grigorenko got pasted with an open ice hit and did not return . Looks like a leg/ankle injury. Big loss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

A really disappointing showing by the U.S. squad. 5 goals scored in 3 games against the Finns, Czechs and Canadians. They can finish no better then 7th. One of the least inspired American teams we've seen in a while.  

The medal round will not be as interesting without them.

Oh, and so much for guarantees !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I disagree Chowda as I've seen some really good precesion hockey out of Canada, Sweden and Russia, enjoyable for me the last two years. The US flat out couldn't hang and were outcoached so they don't get to dance. Maybe karma for dissing American kids who decide they want to get better in the Canadian juniors.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I disagree Chowda as I've seen some really good precesion hockey out of Canada, Sweden and Russia, enjoyable for me the last two years. The US flat out couldn't hang and were outcoached so they don't get to dance. Maybe karma for dissing American kids who decide they want to get better in the Canadian juniors.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Just saying I'd rather the Canadians have beaten the U.S. in a meaningful game. This one wasn't as much fun.
    Tongue out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Posted by SanDogBrewin

Does taking over 50 shots on an opposing goalie mean being outcoached ?
    I tend not to think so.  U.S. against the Czechs deserved a better end result. Not to mention Campbell not playing well enough to give his team a chance to win ,again cannot blame coaching.
    Finland, did not watch that one to comment.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: World Juniors : Just saying I'd rather the Canadians have beaten the U.S. in a meaningful game. This one wasn't as much fun.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I hear ya Chowda.  NYE game was set to be another classic.  It took a lot out of it for me for sure.  Meaningless game.  It was a good test for Canada though. 
    Looks like it will be Russia vs Canada in the semis.  That will be a good game.  Even Finland vs Sweden. 
    I love my Canadians but I just think Sweden looks very very good.  In fact I may pick a Sweden vs Russia final

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: World Juniors : I hear ya Chowda.  NYE game was set to be another classic.  It took a lot out of it for me for sure.  Meaningless game.  It was a good test for Canada though.  Looks like it will be Russia vs Canada in the semis.  That will be a good game.  Even Finland vs Sweden.  I love my Canadians but I just think Sweden looks very very good.  In fact I may pick a Sweden vs Russia final
    Posted by shuperman

You got to give it the Americans,  they came to play in a meaningless game. 
    Shupe ,  the only flaw the Russians have is themselves.  They know they're that good and tend to think they can win only on talent.  The Swedes last night showed what grit and talent can do. 
    The Russians losing last night might just help them win it all again. Lesson learned ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

BsL,

I think that has always been the way with Russian hockey.  Their ego's is their undoing.  If Canada sets out a solid game plan against them like the usually do I can obviously see Canada winning.  Home crowd, losing last year, lots of things to get Canada a win.  Pure talent I think the Russians are stacked.  Thats why you play the games. 

Sweden looks very solid. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Glad the Czech-Russia game is on NHL Network tonight should be a good one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Glad the Czech-Russia game is on NHL Network tonight should be a good one.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

A chance for you to see Yakupov. Koko too !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Great game between Czechs and Russians !  All goaltending, I haven't seen anything like this at the Junior level. 
    Hrazek , there's reason he beat the U.S. making over 50 saves.
    If the Russians give Canada those chances the Canadian will score on their 17 year old goalie Vasilevski and win.
    Yakupov and Koko on the same line had good chances to score just could not beat Hrazek.  In the 3rd the Russian coach put Kuznetsov on their line , that's a line the Canadians have to watch out for.

Canada's achilles heel the past 2 years was their goaltending. I really hope Wedgewood starts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Agree about Wedgewood starting. I'll bet Visentin gets it though based on experience. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Anything can happen in World Juniors just asked team Canada last year losing to the Russians. I little bit of breathing room and next thing the gm. is tide. I am Canadian but I watch all teams the Russian goaltending is the answer for them.

For the Can and Rus series I am thinking OT, also getting an early lead will be vital for team Canada.

For Sweden and Fin I pick the Swedes this team so far are to the most impressive. They can beat Russia and keep the tempo with Canada.

Last nights gm. Rus and Czk was back to back action and unbelievable goaltending. Daniel Krejci  i am not sure if he is drafted but can play defense and that high stick resulting in a goal. I thought if the Czk PP would of been another minute earlier in the 3rd they the CZK. would of scored. Good win but unfortunate lost.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think the first problem with the US team was having Zucker as captain.  As someone who goes to all of Zucker's home games with Denver U. I can say that he is no leader.  He is an uber-talented kid but is very punkish and is often in the coaches' doghouse.  He plays selfish, yaps constantly, and takes dumb penalties.  I know this was his 3rd WJC and he was on the 2010 gold medal team, but I was shocked he was chosen as captain.  They didn't look inspired at all until they played Canada and it was way too late by then.

It was a far cry from the inspired underdogs of 2010 -- those guys seemed to relish the big Canadian crowd booing them.  This team seemed afraid of it.  They got what they deserved.  Classy comments from Jack Campbell afterwards.  At least he gets it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Felt bad for the underdog Finns . They almost won till their goalie misplayed a puck behind the net with about 2mins left to play. 
    What is it with these Finn goalkeepers playing the puck ?
    Sorry Dez.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Felt bad for the underdog Finns . They almost won till their goalie misplayed a puck behind the net with about 2mins left to play.  What is it with these Finn goalkeepers playing the puck ? Sorry Dez.
    Posted by BsLegion

Yeah, I felt bad for the kid. Tough break.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Kuznetsov is scary good. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he can do with the Capitals next season (they will probably let Semin walk and EK will take his place). 

I'm really happy Colorado has been playing very well recently, for a little bit it seemed as if they were going nowhere, and since the Caps have their pick, the thought of guys like Kuznetsov and a Forsberg or Galchenyuk bursting onto the scene was enough to give me some nightmares.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Was a no contest at 6-1 but Canadians making it interesting 6-3 (D.Hamilton getting a one of the comeback goals).
    OH BOY JUST MADE IT 6-4. Feed by Dougie Hamilton and Gallagher (erks me) tips it in. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

6-5 the comeback continues. Grit over talent in the 3rd.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The goal that Nathan Beaulieu stopped skating to make it 6-1 game back to haunt them. 
    What a great game it turned out to be.  Incredible with the empty net the Canadians hit the goal post dead on and Connolly gets un-lucky with the rebound.

Sections
Shortcuts