Worst off season trade, Kathryn Tappen for Dale Arnold? say it ain't so!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

Re: Worst off season trade, Kathryn Tappen for Dale Arnold? say it ain't so!

In Response to Re: Worst off season trade, Kathryn Tappen for Dale Arnold? say it ain't so!:
    [QUOTE]I like Dale, he did an admirable job in replacing Fred Cusik, not an easy task. I beleive he filled in for Bob Wilson to as well on the radio. Kathryn was very fluent and I think her knowledge of the game was improving. Very pretty girl and the way she dressed may be more of an indication of how of the amount of class she has.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
     I like the Amish grandmother thing too. I think she's going classy and wants to be respected for her work rather than just scankin' it up. Not that there's anything wrong with Hazel Mae it's just that I was embarrassed watching her try to talk serious hockey with Bourque and the boys back in the day. NESN seems more formal than the stuff going on the NHL network. Kate might be asked to sex -it-up a bit in her new digs. I'll miss her. I don't know dale Arnold. I stopped watching WSBK after they fired Fred and then Derek quit out of respect   for Fred. I relied on CBC for the B's games until I discovered "streaming and Atdhe" 3 yrs ago. Which reminds me- this playoffs was the first time I noticed it -but: holy you know what the HNIC crew at CBC made me sick with their biased coverage of the B's games in the playoffs.(sorry to get off track)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Worst off season trade, Kathryn Tappen for Dale Arnold? say it ain't so!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst off season trade, Kathryn Tappen for Dale Arnold? say it ain't so! :  I like the Amish grandmother thing too. I think she's going classy and wants to be respected for her work rather than just scankin' it up.
    Posted by Chef09[/QUOTE]

Yes, she she is full of great work.  She looks pretty, reads well and does a great job of asking easy questions to people who know what they're talking about.

Full of skill.

If she were ugly and had the same skill set, she'd be unemployed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Her banter with the boys was fine and she came off as understanding the game a bit.  Didnt need any more from her as I liked to look at her.  A big loss to me. 

My wife even bought me a KT bobblehead!

She's too good to sit still, going to the NHL network is a natural step.  ill watch NHL Network more now and Bruins postgame less.

I guess a promotion for her is only right after the Stanley Cup win.  She and Recchi hit the road...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

For bigvig and dauber, I love the Bowdoin College connection for Dale.  My father and brother both went there and I grew up watching the Bowdoin Polar Bears.  I fell in love with hockey as a little kid standing against the glass at Dayton arena in Brunswick  during our visits and watching Bowdoin on the road at Williams College every year.  Awesome stuff, and I would love to get back to Brunswick and see the new Bowdoin arena. 

For Tappen, there is an awful lot of ground between 'skanking it up' and looking even remotely modern.  I liked her but always found it kind of strange how she dressed.  After a couple beers my brain was chanting "release the twins" between periods.  I do think she pulled off her hockey analysis without sounding out of place at all and she will probably do well at the NHL network.  I like her.  I respect her.  Just can't help being honest about the attire.

She should also moonlight doing commercials for area dentists.  The straightest, whitest teeth I have ever seen.  I'm surprised she didn't try to cover them up...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Kathryn is a good example of hiring a gal with a pretty face as on-air talent, with the hope that she develops.  Many fail, in this case, she was a success.  I thoroughly enjoyed her this year, and wish her the best if/when she moves on.

Agree with the wardrobe criticism though.  Some of the strangest things I have ever seem.  No need to skank it up, but she could take a page out of a news anchor's wardrobe as compared to her grandmother's closet.

On Dale, I could not stand him as the PBP guy.  He should have a job somewhere covering hockey, just not while the game is on.  I think a weekly hockey show on NESN or 98.5 would be a good place for him to do what he does best. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Very rarely does one get insightful information from any in the broadcast booth.  Thus KT did fine, easy on the eyes for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I wonder if she'll bring the Logan's Run outfit over to the NHL network.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]She should also moonlight doing commercials for area dentists.  The straightest, whitest teeth I have ever seen.  I'm surprised she didn't try to cover them up...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Are you sure that it didn't just seem that way because Edwards' choppers were always fresh in your mind when you saw her?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

This is worse than when i saw the ticker saying Bourque, Thornton or Kessel were traded.  At least we got something back in those deals.  This is a lose-lose.  Kathryn looks good and actually can comes off as knowing what she's talking about.  I guess she is a hockey wife afterall.  It's a loss to see her leave, but a major improvement from what NHL Net has to offer at present.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Worst off season trade, Kathryn Tappen for Dale Arnold? say it ain't so!:[QUOTE]I wonder if she'll bring the Logan's Run outfit over to the NHL network. Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

FZappa will wondering about this as well...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Kathryn is a good example of hiring a gal with a pretty face as on-air talent, with the hope that she develops.  Many fail, in this case, she was a success.  I thoroughly enjoyed her this year, and wish her the best if/when she moves on. Agree with the wardrobe criticism though.  Some of the strangest things I have ever seem.  No need to skank it up, but she could take a page out of a news anchor's wardrobe as compared to her grandmother's closet. On Dale, I could not stand him as the PBP guy.  He should have a job somewhere covering hockey, just not while the game is on.  I think a weekly hockey show on NESN or 98.5 would be a good place for him to do what he does best. 
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree with this entire post!!!!

I didn't think Kathryn was very good at all....just a cute face.  But this year I thought she was terrific. She's obviously learned the game and it's players a lot more than since her first year.

The wardrobe comment was also spot on.  I felt the same way about Hazel Mae.  When Halzel first got here she dressed like my grandmother.  But she eventually loosened up and started dressing like a contemporary news woman.  And even more so when she did those 1/2 hour weekly shows about the Sox and B's and would wear sweaters.  :)

As for Dale, I think he'll be great.  He's a very good studio host.  And, like you, I couldn't stand him as a play-by-play guy (and he's even worse with the Sox).  I liked him on 'EEI w/ Nuemy then Holley.  But I really liked him the best as the host of the Patriots Sunday Morning Pre-Game Show.  So I think he's a perfect choice as the NESN Bruins Studio Host.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Here's my take on the matter...

First off I thought KT did a great job in her role at NESN which is why the NHL Network is looking to bring her in.

Secondly, NESN seems to like to hire female reporters that are pleasant to the eye to assistin drawing male viewers to the telecasts. I must impact that having eye candy on the TV during the telecasts works.

So in conclusion wouldn't NESN be doing itself a disservice changing this approach by bringing in a guy like Arnold?? My guess is they would look to find another cute blonde that can handle the gig.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Who cares about her hockey IQ ? What, Pederson and Kluzak are compelling?
    Always enjoyed when she brought in Noako and flashed that killer smile...and of course - the omnipotent horns.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Really?  This is the thread that brings Wensink back to the fold?

Well, whatever works.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

I have said this here before. Kathryn needs to show more skin. I am not trying to be disrespectful but, lets face it, she is a pretty girl covering hockey. We all know she is there because of her looks. This demure school teacher look needs to be taken to the next level.
    I'm not talking about slutting it up. I think she just needs to stimulate our imaginations a little more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst off season trade, Kathryn Tappen for Dale Arnold? say it ain't so! : FZappa will wondering about this as well...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

She wore it one of the ECF games, and someone mentioned that the Bs were 5-1 when she wore it during the season. The only loss was against the Sabres, I believe. Made me laugh every time she had it on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]I have said this here before. Kathryn needs to show more skin. I am not trying to be disrespectful but, lets face it, she is a pretty girl covering hockey. We all know she is there because of her looks. This demure school teacher look needs to be taken to the next level. I'm not talking about slutting it up. I think she just needs to stimulate our imaginations a little more.
    Posted by ed121501[/QUOTE]

It's not even about showing skin.  I remember Hazel Mae used to wear these tight sweaters while hosting "The Buzz" or "The Ultimate Red Sox Show".  Oh my.  Okay....I'll stop now........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

How long until Dale talks about Papoose Pond?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Maybe she dresses the way she does like I said before because thats the way she was raised and the kind of person she is which i find makes her hotter.Too many skanks out there, i like em classy.  But also her husband is in the game and might have something to do with it as well. I'm guesing he has never told her her not to be eye candy for other players, I'm thinking she does it out of respect that he is a player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CasualTee. Show CasualTee's posts

I actually think Tappen isn't getting enough credit here. I think she and Naoko are very good. One measure is if they receive an answer during an interview for which a follow-up seems appropriate, they do so instead of moving on to some other stock question. To be able to do that in the middle of a hockey discussion does require at least some understanding of hockey in order to know when such follow-ups are necessary.

In addition, when the studio guys are feeling a bit more rambunctious KT is always able to give it right back to the guys rather than getting bowled over. She is good at her job.

I will add my vote for bad wardrobe though (or perhaps it is being chosen for her). Class is one thing, dowdy is completely another. She dresses like someone easily 40 years her senior. Maybe more than that - I think I would actually make fun of my mother if she dressed like that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

But kel, I still say it isn't so much about trying to look sexy or abandoning your morals, as much as just trying to look current and attractive for your job.  I don't know anyone who dresses that way who is under 60.  My wife would laugh about Tappen and she is definitely on the modest, conservative side.  Her attire was just strangely out of touch for an on-air personality like that (a very attractive one to boot).  It would be like me wearing a polyester suit to work.  We all want to look good at our jobs.  Her outfits just seemed very odd for her age, profession, and current workplace standards.

Secondly, why not play to your strengths a little?  I have a friend who has been a chubby doughboy his whole life.  All of the sudden, he does P90X, gets in shape, and he walks around with his shirt off now.  Yeah, that makes him kind of a tool, but it also shows he has some self-awareness (eg. hide the fat; show the muscles).  It might benefit Tappen's career to dress like a modern women instead of a pilgrim.

Tappen trying to hide her collar bone every night makes no sense to me.

Disclaimer: Like many arguments on this board in recent weeks, I truly don't  care either way.  Tappen can interview 'Dougie' Hamilton in a snowsuit while chanting USA, from a battered women's shelter run by Joe Corvo, and I won't lose any sleep. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

On the other hand. Rob Simpson has tons of hockey knowledge and was an absolute train wreck on camera. looks aside I think Kathryn was progressing quite nicely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Dale arnold was the worse local play by play guy in all of boston sports in my lifetime. I already switched my pre game watching to CSN new england even though NESN had games on it. Dale lost all cred with me when he was on WEEI and he was defending the bruins the day of the Joe Thorton trade I guess he will be back to being a JJ pr puppet like he was then. CSN at least the hosts and reporters can speak their mind the same can't be said for the NESN studio crew and it not their faults since JJ owns nesn and they would probably be canned for saying anything critical. Gord and Dale were horrid as a tandom doing the play by play having them in the studio together is going to be very very dry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I never thought much of KT until she was in the Sox championship celebration lockeroom getting soaked w/bubbly and she had the simple blonde ponytail/black BB cap/ black windbreaker.. and oh, my... hello.

This year with the boys giving her grief about her minor league husband and she was dishing it back, it was great... and she was so upset at Luongo giving TT crap.  Wonder if she can be more neutral with NHL Net?

Talent or not, she's one of the few on air personalities Ive actually tuned into just to see her.  She was just pleasant and improved the show, and what a face.

Anyway, good for her, she seems sincerely nice.  That blinding teeth smile commercial she did for the dentist was a riot.

I wonder about Jade Mcarthy.. talk about odd ball clothes... she seems like she's just insane with the outfits.  But she's had some excellent back and forth interviews with various sport players, showing off some real knowledge.

I think with the Heidi/Jade lineup, if NESN brings in another chick they may need the balance of another dark haired girl like Cervassio (sp?).

Sections
Shortcuts