Worst Signing of the Summer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Worst Signing of the Summer

I found an article/slideshow rating the worst signings of the summer and was surprised to see Benoit Pouliot made the list. How can you judge a 1 year $1.1 mill contact as one of the worst. especially when the team still has $7 mill in CAP space with only one more RFA to sign.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/764799-nhl-free-agents-2011-the-11-worst-contracts-handed-out-so-far-this-year

I wasn't thrilled when they announced the deal, but there is zero risk here. If he doesn't work out bench him and bring up someone from Providence and then don't resign him. How is this a bad contract when Christian Ehrhoff, Joel Ward, Jason Arnott, Jamie Langebrunner, and Erik Cole get no mention? I wouldn't rate it as a good signing, but compared to the ones I just mentioned it's the best.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from s2e42o. Show s2e42o's posts

Re: Worst Signing of the Summer

Worst signing of the summer . . . Marco Sturm by the Vancouver Canucks, lol, at least they'll have the cap space back by November when he's on LTIR.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Yeah, I think you could argue its one of the least bad signings actually.  And yes, that doesnt sound right, but its how I mean it.  Out of all the bad contracts given out, this is a the bottom of the list.  A 4th overall pick with TONS of talent who has always been an under-performer gets signed to the Cup champs for 1 year, 1 million.  REALLY not a bad signing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And Vig I could add that it is from bleacher report so not to fret.        

PS. "but at $3.50 million per season, the Stars overpaid greatly" glide Michael glide...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Any signing by the Panthers...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Having Pouliot on this list is a joke.  Very little risk, potential for high reward - especially considering he'll be playing for a new contract after next season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Signing of the Summer:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I think you could argue its one of the least bad signings actually.  And yes, that doesnt sound right, but its how I mean it.  Out of all the bad contracts given out, this is a the bottom of the list.  A 4th overall pick with TONS of talent who has always been an under-performer gets signed to the Cup champs for 1 year, 1 million.  REALLY not a bad signing.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% Bang on & well said!! This is off topic a bit here; but one thing I can't understand is Ray Emery only getting a try-out with Chicago. I thought he played fantastic for the stretch run for the Ducks & he was strong in the play-offs. Can't believe nobody would sign this guy to at least a 1yr/1.1 deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think that the Pouliot signing is going to surprise us.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Worst signing : Brad Richards for 9 years ..??? DUH ! ! ! and Marco Sturm ..
    Pouliot will be seen as the best signing ever by the B's ...Pouliot will fit very well in the Bruins system and Pouliot will score a few against the Habs...the fans are going ot fall in love with him ...I say he is the same type pf player as Blake Wheeler.....
    Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Consider the source. BR is nothing more than someone trying to stir up controversy so they can add some revenue from ads. Their contributors are very often VERY stupid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

The Ehrhoff signing boggles the mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

What if a team involved in one of these "worst signings" wins the Cup next year?  What if they guy they signed scores the Cup winning goal? 

It will then sound a lot like the Kaberle signing.  Yeah, we gave up a lot;  yeah, he didn't light us on fire, but hey, we won the Cup, so it was worth it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wheeler

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]What if a team involved in one of these "worst signings" wins the Cup next year?  What if they guy they signed scores the Cup winning goal?  It will then sound a lot like the Kaberle signing.  Yeah, we gave up a lot;  yeah, he didn't light us on fire, but hey, we won the Cup, so it was worth it!
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    The article is talking about worst free agent signings, not trade deadline acquisitions. Sturm is a bad signing, he won't score the Cup winning goal because you still have poor, unreliable goaltending that is at its worst when it counts the most.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I disagree that Benoit Pouliot is going to surprise us... I think everyone knows what we are getting here.

But I also think there is no risk and so cannot be called a bad signing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Pouliot is Wheeler 2.0

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst Signing of the Summer : The article is talking about worst free agent signings, not trade deadline acquisitions. Sturm is a bad signing, he won't score the Cup winning goal because you still have poor, unreliable goaltending that is at its worst when it counts the most.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Just ask Philly! And yes 50below, winning the cup sorta, kinda made everyone forget about the Kaberle deal. After all, isn't that the ultimate goal? 

So I for one, will say, it doesn't matter..... We won the cup!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]Wheeler
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

how about almost the same player = thomas kopecky
    red, kopecky got 4 years times 4 for 12 million dollars ouch!!!! making blake look like a steal at 2 years 5.1 million dont u think?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bleacher Report?  That's about the worst place online to read about sports!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes, I aknowledge there were deals like Wiz and Richards and even Kaberle who are being overpaid, but they are not bad signings in the sense they have the potential to produce.  Maybe (and probably IMO) they won't live up to expectations, but at least the potential is there.

So a worst signing in my opinion are the guys that won't produce or barely at all.

I'll aknowledge you guys that like these players, altho I totally don't understand it.

My list:
    Tim Connolly @ 4.75:  Sheer lunacy, I need not say more?  I will anyway.  A -10 last year?  Next hit to the head and he's done and that might be in training camp.

Sheldon Souray @ 1.65 mil:  Let's get serious 40 games in the AHL last season with 4 goals and 14 assists with the Hershey Bears who were a decent team so it's not like he was the only guy out there.  He should be getting league minimum.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he doesn't play a single game in the NHL this year.

Ryder @ 3.5 mil a year:  He did show up for the playoffs, but the deal is you play the whole season.  I'll really tick off you Ryder lovers, but even during the playoffs IMO he had some outstanding shifts, but there were shifts that it seemed he mailed it in to me.  And I'm not going to take any positive discusssion about his regular season seriously.  Best case I think Ryder will get 12 goals and 16 assists this season.  Best case.  More likely I think this year he'll be a 7g 10a and next year he'll see the ahl and then done.

biggest gamble: Jagr at 3.3 mil.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Yup the Jager signing....Will he last the full season ?......And I think the worst signing could be the one that is pending in NY Isle....My gawd, if they resign Yashin, after buying him out, will be th worst of all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]Having Pouliot on this list is a joke.  Very little risk, potential for high reward - especially considering he'll be playing for a new contract after next season.
    Posted by nitch19[/QUOTE]

I agree.  This signing is so low risk.  If he ends up being a bust they can easily get rid of him anytime.  The Florida Panthers were forced because of the salary cap floor to sign guys, but they have made a number of bad signings.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst Signing of the Summer : I agree.  This signing is so low risk.  If he ends up being a bust they can easily get rid of him anytime.  The Florida Panthers were forced because of the salary cap floor to sign guys, but they have made a number of bad signings.
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

Low risk?
    I disagree.
    NO risk.
    /> 1.5 mil and that's actual money, but 1.1?  Who cares?
    If he works out, great.
    If he doesn't, no problem putting this guy in the ahl, even jacobs wouldn't mind losing the money.