WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA

GQ just published an article and it is worth reading:

http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201104/worst-sports-fans-in-america#slide=14

Seems "Philadelphia stadiums house the most monstrous collection of humanity outside of the federal penal system."

Red Sox fans: "It is a display of epic hypocrisy. All their whining about the Yankees' salary-driven Evil Empire? They now gloat while drubbing opponents with what is routinely the second-highest-paid roster in baseball."

Habs fans: 
    "inside the Bell Centre, the only things people boo more frequently than the U.S. national anthem are their own players"  and what did their own GM think about the fan base?   "I think they're a bunch of gutless bastards, to be honest"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA

HILARIOUS!!! I love it! Thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Fun post !  Thanks for that....Frostbiten Hooligans...he forgot "idiot" inbetween.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA:
    GQ just published an article and it is worth reading: http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201104/worst-sports-fans-in-america#slide=14 Seems "Philadelphia stadiums house the most monstrous collection of humanity outside of the federal penal system." Red Sox fans: "It is a display of epic hypocrisy. All their whining about the Yankees' salary-driven Evil Empire? They now gloat while drubbing opponents with what is routinely the second-highest-paid roster in baseball." Habs fans:  "inside the Bell Centre, the only things people boo more frequently than the U.S. national anthem are their own players"  and what did their own GM think about the fan base?   "I think they're a bunch of gutless bastards, to be honest"
    Posted by dbg1

I guess Gainey is smarter than i thought.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA:
    GQ just published an article and it is worth reading: http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201104/worst-sports-fans-in-america#slide=14 Seems "Philadelphia stadiums house the most monstrous collection of humanity outside of the federal penal system." Red Sox fans: "It is a display of epic hypocrisy. All their whining about the Yankees' salary-driven Evil Empire? They now gloat while drubbing opponents with what is routinely the second-highest-paid roster in baseball." Habs fans:  "inside the Bell Centre, the only things people boo more frequently than the U.S. national anthem are their own players"  and what did their own GM think about the fan base?   "I think they're a bunch of gutless bastards, to be honest"
    Posted by dbg1

What are the Sox supposed to do, not beat NY at their own game?  Just say "hey, let's pretend we are small market, dupe our fans and not spend strategically"?

Please. Terrible premise and likely written by a jealous fan. 

You can admit you want a salary cap (I do, absolutely) in baseball and still realize you have to spend money intelligently to try to win.  

If there was a salary cap, I am convinced the Yankees wouldn't have a clue. Cashman is a clueless GM.  Might be one of the worst in baseball, actually.

Meanwhile, generally speaking, Epstein's understanding of player development, solid drafts and strategic FA moves, show he gets it even with upper-level financial support.

Boston is a far cry from the Yanks.  NY has an open checkbook and they've been like that, essentially since buying Boston's roster in 1920.

I hate that premise. It's inaccurate. 

Boston has two WS titles since the Henry/Werner group got more aggressive with spendinga and NY has 1, with the Yanks spending over a billion for that 1 title.

Most of the time, NY has a 40-50 million dollar payroll advantage, too.

It's NY and then a dropoff, with teams like Boston, the Angels, Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, etc in a second tier.

Finally, saying Sox fans are bandwagoners is hilarious. I am not sure there is a more loyal fanbase in Boston.  Bruins fans and Sox fans are right at the top.

More so than Pats fans and Celtics fans. 

Anyone ever go down to Spring Training? The place is absolutely packed.  I know people who go every year for a few weeks and use it as a vacation.

The reality is, teams like the Yanks and Sox have a lot of fans and they end up moving out of their respective

I hate the Yanks, too, but the bulk of those fans are not bandwagon fans, nor are Boston fans.

Smells like some jealousy to me.

It's the same inferiroity complex stuff you hear in the Midwest and West about "an east coast bias".

There is no bias, dummies.  If you have a successful team in a sport, you'll get the coverage.

Other than that, the list is pretty accurate.  Cowboys fans are delusional, Philly fans obnoxious (NJ is right north and east of them) and Lakers fans are typical Cali fans.

As for Canadiens fans, they're all fruity and absolutely pathetic.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

you don't have to go to the Garden to boo your players, you do it perfectly here by bashing them all the time and it's worst when they lose , i can imagine how it is in the garden when they lose must be terrible !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

In Response to Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA:
    In Response to WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : What are the Sox supposed to do, not beat NY at their own game?  Just say "hey, let's pretend we are small market, dupe our fans and not spend strategically"? Please. Terrible premise and likely written by a jealous fan.  You can admit you want a salary cap (I do, absolutely) in baseball and still realize you have to spend money intelligently to try to win.   If there was a salary cap, I am convinced the Yankees wouldn't have a clue. Cashman is a clueless GM.  Might be one of the worst in baseball, actually. Meanwhile, generally speaking, Epstein's understanding of player development, solid drafts and strategic FA moves, show he gets it even with upper-level financial support. Boston is a far cry from the Yanks.  NY has an open checkbook and they've been like that, essentially since buying Boston's roster in 1920. I hate that premise. It's inaccurate.  Boston has two WS titles since the Henry/Werner group got more aggressive with spendinga and NY has 1, with the Yanks spending over a billion for that 1 title. Most of the time, NY has a 40-50 million dollar payroll advantage, too. It's NY and then a dropoff, with teams like Boston, the Angels, Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, etc in a second tier. Finally, saying Sox fans are bandwagoners is hilarious. I am not sure there is a more loyal fanbase in Boston.  Bruins fans and Sox fans are right at the top. More so than Pats fans and Celtics fans.  Anyone ever go down to Spring Training? The place is absolutely packed.  I know people who go every year for a few weeks and use it as a vacation. The reality is, teams like the Yanks and Sox have a lot of fans and they end up moving out of their respective I hate the Yanks, too, but the bulk of those fans are not bandwagon fans, nor are Boston fans. Smells like some jealousy to me. It's the same inferiroity complex stuff you hear in the Midwest and West about "an east coast bias". There is no bias, dummies.  If you have a successful team in a sport, you'll get the coverage. Other than that, the list is pretty accurate.  Cowboys fans are delusional, Philly fans obnoxious (NJ is right north and east of them) and Lakers fans are typical Cali fans. As for Canadiens fans, they're all fruity and absolutely pathetic.  
    Posted by BBReigns

Boy, talk about getting defensive....chill out...NY and Philli fans are on the list too. 

Personally, I am a sox fan, and I think the list is pretty accurate. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : Boy, talk about getting defensive....chill out...NY and Philli fans are on the list too.  Personally, I am a sox fan, and I think the list is pretty accurate. 
    Posted by dbg1

Not defensive at all.  It's ridiculous to claim Yankee or Sox fans as bandwagoners.  It's a stupid premise.

The Northeast sector is clearly the best sports market in the country.  So, really can't have "bandwagon" fans like we know them to be, in these markets.

You won't see many bandwagon fans in the top 5 sports markets, which are, in my opinion:

1. Boston
    2. Philly
    3. NY
    4. Detroit
    5. Chicago

Anything past Chicago or south of Philly, you are looking at prime real estate for bandwagon behavior.

That's a fact.

Pro sports markets in the West and Southeast are weak compared to the Northeast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

You won't see many bandwagon fans in the top 5 sports markets, which are, in my opinion:
    Posted by BBReigns

Ok, I think I see the problem here...you didn't read the article...  Don't think the writer said anything about fans from those teams being "bandwagon fans".  I think the only fans that were referred to as bandwagon fans were LA fans...but, what do you expect, it is LA.

Come back once you actually read the words....not just look at the pictures. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Tom Werner not a good example he's a terrible owner along for the ride ask Padre fans when he led the ownership group in SD. Red Sox embarrass me as a fan and themselves when they get banned from sports bars up and down So Cal beaches. Patriot fans are the same way not objective. All fans in all areas of the world can be bad as viewed by fans of opposing teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : Ok, I think I see the problem here...you didn't read the article...  Don't think the writer said anything about fans from those teams being "bandwagon fans".  I think the only fans that were referred to as bandwagon fans were LA fans...but, what do you expect, it is LA. Come back once you actually read the words....not just look at the pictures. 
    Posted by dbg1

Excuse me?

Go read the Red Sox one again, professor.

Then you can apologize.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

In Response to WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : What are the Sox supposed to do, not beat NY at their own game?  Just say "hey, let's pretend we are small market, dupe our fans and not spend strategically"? Please. Terrible premise and likely written by a jealous fan.  
    Posted by BBReigns

No, but you're not supposed to keep trying to play the underdog role, or pretend that the only reason the Yankees beat us (when they now only sometimes do, now that we're evenly matched) is because they have the payroll. We have the SAME payroll, so fans should acknowledge that the playing field is level, and that win or lose, it's a fair fight, and not make excuses for the ballclub that aren't valid.
    If you say "but the payrolls AREN'T equal... they're certainly close enough. And COULD BE if Henry was willing to spend into the luxury tax area. It's hard to blame him for not doing it, but the option is on the table.
    The fans whining about things being unfair when they're not is what's insufferable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't whine about that at all ,and frankly, I haven't heard Sox fans talk about that since Henry took over.  That's what I mean about it being inaccurate.

At one time, back in the 90s in particular, Boston fans absolutely said that. This was pre-Henry.

The only way I hear it is when the Yanks get to the playoffs  or in 2009 and Sox fans say "big deal, with that payroll you should be in the playoffs".

I agree.

It's comical when they fail or don't make the playoffs, which obviously doesn't really happen with them.

In other words, Sox fans don't whine (now or even 5 years ago) about the payroll thing. 

It's inaccurate, generally speaking.  Any knowledgeable fan can see they spend in the upper tier, but they also develop a lot of their own players to balance it out.

When Boston spends, they have a player targeted, rightly or wrongly.  NY just wildly spends or overspends to block Boston for possibly signing a player.

That's happened literally a dozen times in the past 10 years. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

In Response to Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : Excuse me? Go read the Red Sox one again, professor. Then you can apologize.
    Posted by BBReigns

I was wrong...my mistake.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Not surprised about Philly being #1. I have been there for hockey & baseball games wearing my Bruins & Red Sox jersey's respectively. They are brutal fans to the point where somebody wearing the visiting team's colours safety is at risk. I was lucky, the times I was there, I was with a Philadelphia fan, so I felt somewhat safe.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : Not defensive at all.  It's ridiculous to claim Yankee or Sox fans as bandwagoners.  It's a stupid premise. The Northeast sector is clearly the best sports market in the country.  So, really can't have "bandwagon" fans like we know them to be, in these markets. You won't see many bandwagon fans in the top 5 sports markets, which are, in my opinion: 1. Boston 2. Philly 3. NY 4. Detroit 5. Chicago Anything past Chicago or south of Philly, you are looking at prime real estate for bandwagon behavior. That's a fact. Pro sports markets in the West and Southeast are weak compared to the Northeast.
    Posted by BBReigns

New York has two baseball teams, two hockey teams, effectively two football teams and a basketball team.  It is absolutely the #1 sports market in east.

As for the Sox not having bandwagon fans:  Go ask a pink hat about Adrian Gonzalez.  Then enjoy the silence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Go Roughriders !!!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : What are the Sox supposed to do, not beat NY at their own game?  Just say "hey, let's pretend we are small market, dupe our fans and not spend strategically"? Please. Terrible premise and likely written by a jealous fan.  You can admit you want a salary cap (I do, absolutely) in baseball and still realize you have to spend money intelligently to try to win.   If there was a salary cap, I am convinced the Yankees wouldn't have a clue. Cashman is a clueless GM.  Might be one of the worst in baseball, actually. Meanwhile, generally speaking, Epstein's understanding of player development, solid drafts and strategic FA moves, show he gets it even with upper-level financial support. Boston is a far cry from the Yanks.  NY has an open checkbook and they've been like that, essentially since buying Boston's roster in 1920. I hate that premise. It's inaccurate.  Boston has two WS titles since the Henry/Werner group got more aggressive with spendinga and NY has 1, with the Yanks spending over a billion for that 1 title. Most of the time, NY has a 40-50 million dollar payroll advantage, too. It's NY and then a dropoff, with teams like Boston, the Angels, Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, etc in a second tier. Finally, saying Sox fans are bandwagoners is hilarious. I am not sure there is a more loyal fanbase in Boston.  Bruins fans and Sox fans are right at the top. More so than Pats fans and Celtics fans.  Anyone ever go down to Spring Training? The place is absolutely packed.  I know people who go every year for a few weeks and use it as a vacation. The reality is, teams like the Yanks and Sox have a lot of fans and they end up moving out of their respective I hate the Yanks, too, but the bulk of those fans are not bandwagon fans, nor are Boston fans. Smells like some jealousy to me. It's the same inferiroity complex stuff you hear in the Midwest and West about "an east coast bias". There is no bias, dummies.  If you have a successful team in a sport, you'll get the coverage. Other than that, the list is pretty accurate.  Cowboys fans are delusional, Philly fans obnoxious (NJ is right north and east of them) and Lakers fans are typical Cali fans. As for Canadiens fans, they're all fruity and absolutely pathetic.  
    Posted by BBReigns

fruity ? and your an idiot

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Once in the stadium, students proceeded to (a) hold up signs enumerating the ways Love was a homosexual, (b) throw food at his family in the stands, and (c) call his grandmother a ho until she cried. Way to get in the old lady's head, Oregon!

I love my Oregon Ducks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : New York has two baseball teams, two hockey teams, effectively two football teams and a basketball team.  It is absolutely the #1 sports market in east. As for the Sox not having bandwagon fans:  Go ask a pink hat about Adrian Gonzalez.  Then enjoy the silence.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

lol Nas. The last RedSox game I went to a group 4-6 Girls and 2 guys all wearing SOX Hats/Shirts etc.. Sat behind me. Then the first convo that started was "Who is Martinez?"... I immediately facepalmed.

THen I went to a Bruins game, I heard "Where's Sobotka"......... Boston can be pretty lame in terms of fans.

But it can also be really good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : New York has two baseball teams, two hockey teams, effectively two football teams and a basketball team.  It is absolutely the #1 sports market in east. As for the Sox not having bandwagon fans:  Go ask a pink hat about Adrian Gonzalez.  Then enjoy the silence.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

More teams, means the support is spread out and watered down.

No.

Rangers fans or Knicks fans haven't seen more tradition than Boston fans with the Bruins and Celtics either.

NY's claim to fame is the Yankees. And the Giants on the heels of that.

More money does not mean better sports town.  Split factions, drawing passion away from one team per sport, just dilutes the support and the connection all the fans have with the one team they support.

Boston channels all its energy into supporting one team per sport.

That's exacly the reason why NY isn't the better sports town. 

Philly is also above NY for this reason.

Boston edges Philly based on franchise tradition with the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins and even the Pats have been more of a landmark franchise over the Eagles.

Detroit is pretty good as is Chicago, but the further you get from the east coast, the weaker pro sports fanbases are.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: WORST SPORTS FANS IN AMERICA : More teams, means the support is spread out and watered down. No. Rangers fans or Knicks fans haven't seen more tradition than Boston fans with the Bruins and Celtics either. NY's claim to fame is the Yankees. And the Giants on the heels of that. More money does not mean better sports town.  Split factions, drawing passion away from one team per sport, just dilutes the support and the connection all the fans have with the one team they support. Boston channels all its energy into supporting one team per sport. That's exacly the reason why NY isn't the better sports town.  Philly is also above NY for this reason. Boston edges Philly based on franchise tradition with the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins and even the Pats have been more of a landmark franchise over the Eagles. Detroit is pretty good as is Chicago, but the further you get from the east coast, the weaker pro sports fanbases are.
    Posted by BBReigns

The Phillies are the oldest team in sports.  How do the Sox get the edge over them?

NY has people split between teams.  According to the census, in 2009, NY had 8.3M people.  Boston had 645,000.  By these numbers, New York could have 10 hockey teams and still have a larger fan base. 

I love Boston and the Boston teams just like anyone else, but let's not be ridiculous here.

Sections
Shortcuts