Worst Trades Ever Under Sinden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Worst Trades Ever Under Sinden

Thought this might be a good thread since Sinden had so many, the older he got:

In no particular order:

1. Shawn McEachern for Troy Mallette (Edit; Trent McCleary).
    2. Andy Moog for Jon Casey.
    3. Gary Galley for Gord Murphy.

This doesn't count the players they walked away from in their primes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Re: Worst Trades Ever Under Sinden

Those are all bad moves but he made a couple of decent ones too:

1- Neely for Barry Pederson
    2- Adam Oates for Craig Janney and Stephane Quintal
    3- Pete Peeters for Brad McCrimmon

Just to name a few...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yup. He sure did.   This was before Jacobs started pushing for a lockout in the mid 90s and before the new Garden was built.

I was more focusing on the ones that came towards the end before the strike of 1994/95.

This is why I said in the latter part of his tenure.

Also, Oates for Janney, as you mention.  Great one for Sinden, and his last.

Then it started to tumble downhill from there.

The best one may have been trading back up goalie Grahame in 1979 to LA for their draft pick (Ray Bourque).

I was not a fan of the Burridge move after the 1990/1991 season either.

Steve Leach was solid, but Burridge was the better player. Classic "we'll take the cheaper player" move that hurt the team.

Before Sinden dealt McEachern away, he actually unloaded Murray and Smolinski for McEachern and crackhead Scott Stevens.

How bad does that look?

So, it was basically Troy Mallette and Scott Stevens for McEachern, Murray and Smolinski.

Good work, Harry!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Mceachern was actually traded for Trent Mcleary.

You guys are forgetting the Glen Wesley to Hartford for 3 1st round draft picks.If I remember corrrectly wasn't that Brian Burke as well....If you dig it up it, if that trade never happened we wouldn't have Lucic..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Trades Ever Under Sinden:
    Mceachern was actually traded for Trent Mcleary. You guys are forgetting the Glen Wesley to Hartford for 3 1st round draft picks.If I remember corrrectly wasn't that Brian Burke as well....If you dig it up it, if that trade never happened we wouldn't have Lucic..
    Posted by kelvana33

I think that the Whale signed Wesley to a RFA offer sheet and this wasn't a trade.  It was still a decent move(or non-move) to let Wesley walk.  The picks turned into:

"Wesley was acquired by the Hartford Whalers from the Boston Bruins for three first round draft picks. With the picks, the Bruins drafted Kyle McLaren (1995), Johnathan Aitken (1996) and Sergei Samsonov (1997)."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He made some bad ons, but I'll forgive all his foibles in trades because of the Neely trade, the gift that keps on giving.

Consider this -  Pederson for Neely and a 1st.
    The 1st rounder became Glen Wesley at 3rd overall.
    Years later Wesley is traded to Hartford for 3 1st round picks, which become McLaren, Aitken and Samsonov.
    McLaren was traded for Jillson and Hakett and then Jillson is traded back to the Sharks for Brad Boyes who was then traded for Wideman who was then traded, along with a 1st rounder for Nathan Horton.
    Samsonov was traded to Edmonton for Reasonor, Yan Statsny and a 2nd round pick. With that pick the Bruins selected Milan Lucic.
    So 23 years later they still have Lucic, Horton and club president Cam Neely roaming around, all fallout from the Pederson trade.

So I tend to forgive his mistakes in terms of trades.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGxDe34V4gw

Whatever MOC, Milbury or Sinden gave up for Troy Mallette I don't care nor do I care how many goals he didn't score in Boston it was worth the price as this video never gets old. Murray Baron "What are wll these people doing here ?"

Harry's robbery of the NY Rangers in the 70s Middleton, Ratelle and Park also never gets old either Harry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Kevin Stevens.

Burke was gone from Hartford by the time they signed Wesley as an RFA.

Over 30+ years, you'll make some mistakes.  You forgive a home run hitter his higher than average strikeout totals, right?  Neely and #3 overall for Pederson.  Grahame for #8 overall to nab Bourque.  A disgruntled Oates, and aging Tocchet and Ranford for Allison, Carter, and Carrey. Carter for Guerin - even though the deal meant drafting Shaone Morrisonn instead of Ales Hemsky.

Secord for O'Connell - whiff.  Moog for Casey - whiff.  Galley deal - whiiifff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Harry made more good ones than bad ones..especially in his prime...Love Harry!! Never had a Bruins manager that hated losing more than Harry! He was a winner for those old enough to remember the Glory days of the Bruins..

Classic Harry Line of all time on Joe Juneau  wanting more money and telling Harry he was prepared to sign in Switzerland if he didn't get the cash..

"Then he'll have to learn to yodel." Classic!  Harry won that battle.. he didn't lose too many..No too many guys left with that kind of character in the game anymore .. Too bad..

Here is a good read on Harry and his impact on the Bruins and respected people in the game said about him.. Hard on the outside , compassionate, and passionate on the inside.. some great stories..

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2006/08/13/one_of_a_kind/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

He made some bad ons, but I'll forgive all his foibles in trades because of the Neely trade, the gift that keps on giving. Consider this -  Pederson for Neely and a 1st. The 1st rounder became Glen Wesley at 3rd overall. Years later Wesley is traded to Hartford for 3 1st round picks, which become McLaren, Aitken and Samsonov. McLaren was traded for Jillson and Hakett and then Jillson is traded back to the Sharks for Brad Boyes who was then traded for Wideman who was then traded, along with a 1st rounder for Nathan Horton. Samsonov was traded to Edmonton for Reasonor, Yan Statsny and a 2nd round pick. With that pick the Bruins selected Milan Lucic. So 23 years later they still have Lucic, Horton and club president Cam Neely roaming around, all fallout from the Pederson trade. So I tend to forgive his mistakes in terms of trades.
    Posted by red75

Exactly how Sinden had envisioned it would all play out..Lol. Nice research on this Red. I tend to give Sinden somewhat of a pass on this deal alone. Part of his legacy will always be tied to Pederson/Neely trade , but he could never make the deal to put the Bruins over the top. The Bruins were always competitive under his regime ,and at least gave us hope every year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

BB already hit on the one that bugs me the most. Secord for O'Connell. Not only was the trade lopsided, without it I believe O'Connell never becomes GM of the Bruins. We all know what a stellar job he did there. Double Whammy on that one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

People seem to lean on really two deals:

1. Rangers/Middleton and Ratelle for an aging Espo.
    2. Neely for PEderson and a 1st rounder.

I don't disagree. But, I also don;t think those moves offset the damage he did elsewhere.

I think Sinden had more and he also pulled the strings over O'Connell while collecting a paycheck.

Strange to see a GM who never built a Cup winner here be so revered.  He got worse as his tenure moved on.

He also appeared to have an ego problem and he fueled off it here as the Jacobs golden employee, yet we paid for it.  I don't get why that benefits that ultimate goal and what the fans wanted here.

Sinden seemed to live off a legacy of the Orr years, always trying to recapture that and compare every player to Orr.

Oh well. At least now with the cap forcing quality personnel management to be a must, the GM can't now hide behind the owner.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

BB already hit on the one that bugs me the most. Secord for O'Connell. Not only was the trade lopsided, without it I believe O'Connell never becomes GM of the Bruins. We all know what a stellar job he did there. Double Whammy on that one.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Unfortunately we all do WTL , he did however bring us , Bergeron, Krecji, Pj Axellson and Mark Stuart....if that's any consolidation , but the Thornton trade was the mother of all brain farts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That was the worst, no doubt.  I would also argue that under Sinden/O;Connell, what Boston got back for Bourque wasn't enough.

Rolston was the centerpiece a very good one at that, but they never waited on Pahlsson to develop.

Martin Grenier was a throwaway goon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

The crackhead was Kevin Stevens.  If we had Scott Stevens to go with Ray Bourque we would have won a couple of Cups.

The trades with the Rangers were Espo and Vadnais for Ratelle, Park and Zanussi.The other trade with the Rangers was Ken Hodge for Middleton.

These were both steals and rank up there with the original Esposito trade to Boston from Chicago and the Neely for Pederson acquistion as the best trades in Bruins history.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RaySheroGM. Show RaySheroGM's posts

A couple more bad ones

Tom Fergus for Bill Delago & Al Iafrate for Joey Juneau.

But if you look at all of the trades Harry made he has a good track record and kept the team in the play-offs all most every year all well not spending to keep his better players happy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Hackett was aquirred from Montreal, not in the McLaren/Jillson deal..

His 1st game was a 1-0 shutout victory vs the Flyers, with Habs equipment on..

Harry was awesome,remember the quote right before the playoffs in New jersey

"Have you ever flown over New Jersey and looked down? It looks like the back of a radio."....LOVE IT

"Death,taxes and the first penanlty in Montreal"---LOVE IT

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'll add this, say what you want about Harry, he made more good deals then bad deals..Every G.M has trades they wish they never made, but he was fun to listen too. When he used to be on WEEI I would not get out of my car..(same for Gammons,King and oddly enough Jose Canseco)

I remember his retirement press conference and he said the biggest regret of his career was firing Steve Kasper...I was shocked by that. I'm dating myself here but remember when Kasper benched Stevens and Neely that night in Toronto, the look on their faces as they sat side by side..I'll give harry credit in the fact that he came out and took the heat for that.

I hope Harry writes a book, i'd love to read about the deals that never happened. What happened behind the scenes, etc...

Great post by the way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

How about walking away from Bobby Carpenter at the end of the '92 season? Could have used him in the opening round the next year against Buffalo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

How about walking away from Bobby Carpenter at the end of the '92 season? Could have used him in the opening round the next year against Buffalo.
    Posted by BBReigns

Shame to see Bobby Carpenter not return - after all his effort to recover from that shattered kneecap.  He was a terrific two-way center late in his career - "The Can't Miss Kid" worked on sheer blood and guts and then Harry let him go.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

I gather that this thread is not going where you want it to, 'BBReigns'.

Harry Sinden IS the Boston Bruins.

It might be a timely thread though,

are we standing at the door of Chiarelli's, 'Neely-Pederson'?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

4200 posts in less than a year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Harry Sinden created the Big Bad Bruins, the team that everyone still dreams about. He created a standard and an identity for this franchise that it still strives to achieve and uphold every Training Camp, every Spring.

This trade, that trade, c'mon.

Chiarelli better hope Harry lives to 130

Sections
Shortcuts