Would Caps trade Ovie?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Would Caps trade Ovie?

I think they would if they could, but I don't see any team willing to take on that contract - $9.5M per year for another 8 years.  Plus he has a NTC.  However, it may be one of those cases where a change of scenery may be good for both the team and the player. 

McPhee is really limited as to his options with all of those rich contracts with NTC's.  Something's gotta give if they don't start winning though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Would Caps trade Ovie?

Ovie has turned that franchise with empty seats to a building that is full.  caps owner realizes this.  No chance he green lights a trade to get rid of the face of the franchise.  there are teams that would take him.  

Air the caps get one of the top 3 picks along with the stock pile of talent they have it would sure be interesting.   If I'm McPhee im offering anyone not named Laich, ovi, alzner Carlson, Orlov on their current roster.  They have quit a few ufa at seasons end.  

Caps need some meanness in that lineup.  So soft with zero passion.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

They're certainly in a tough situation.  Just remembering to the playoffs last year when Ovechkin was gettting 3 minutes in 3rd periods when they were up a goal or two. Not exactly a vote of confidence from Hunter.  Haven't seen enough Caps games to see how Oates is using him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

They're certainly in a tough situation.  Just remembering to the playoffs last year when Ovechkin was gettting 3 minutes in 3rd periods when they were up a goal or two. Not exactly a vote of confidence from Hunter.  Haven't seen enough Caps games to see how Oates is using him.

Lots. He's played better in the last week. But I've watched a lot and he plays a lot but they've had him on some weird line combos.   Their prospects are impressive.  Very impressive.  Forsburg Wilson and that Russian for starters.  If they add a McKinnon good lord. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

No 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Anything is possible, considering that the Oilers traded Gretzky.

They'd need a boatload in return and any team making that move would need a lot of cap space.  I think it's more difficult to imagine a team trading for Ovechkin.  His contract is ballistic and he's not a 50 goal scorer anymore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

We can put this way the Capitals changing coaches before they even look at the real problem.

Yes O.V. is not a fifty goal scorer and may not reach that goal again.

Is a fear that O.V. can be a coach killer and his super heroe attitude kills the chemistry of a team.

Yes he is the reason the caps fans arrive to the arena, but if Mcphee can trade O.V. and still produce a winning team for the remaining season> the GM's problem will be solved.

I would not want to see Ovechkin in a Bruins jersey that is for sure.

If we take a look at the NYI who can use help getting the arena full, then I can see a block buster deal between Wsh and NYI.

But at the moment i feel for Oates, lets hope he is not the next coach on way out from the Capital.

other possible candidates with cap room are Phx ( who can use help with attendance) Nsh., Edm., Dal and the Jets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Lots. He's played better in the last week. But I've watched a lot and he plays a lot but they've had him on some weird line combos.   Their prospects are impressive.  Very impressive.  Forsburg Wilson and that Russian for starters.  If they add a McKinnon good lord. 

From what you've seen can you notice why they're off to such a slow start, shupe? Is it goaltending as both them and the Sabres have allowed 41 which is more than anyone else in the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

We can put this way the Capitals changing coaches before they even look at the real problem.

Yes O.V. is not a fifty goal scorer and may not reach that goal again.

Is a fear that O.V. can be a coach killer and his super heroe attitude kills the chemistry of a team.

Yes he is the reason the caps fans arrive to the arena, but if Mcphee can trade O.V. and still produce a winning team for the remaining season> the GM's problem will be solved.

If we take a look at the NYI who can use help getting the arena full, then I can see a block buster deal between Wsh and NYI.

But at the moment i feel for Oates, lets hope he is not the next coach on way out from the Capital.

I would live him in boston.  Not at his cap hit.  But he is an amazing talent.  I don't think the NYI have the talent to send back the other way.  the caps need to bring positive leadership into the team.  They have crazy depth with high end prospects but they aren't gonna learn from Ovi   that's why an iggy would be an ideal fit there.   He would make that 2nd line scary and provide huge leadership.   Laich is the true leader of that team and he's battling a groin injury.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Caps don't need to move Ovechkin.  They need to have him stop being forced to play with Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle on a nightly basis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I hate spell check on iPad.   I may throw this thing across the room.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The Caps don't need to move Ovechkin.  They need to have him stop being forced to play with Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle on a nightly basis.

Sad to watch.   it's like watching a sports car racing with a jeep.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

From what you've seen can you notice why they're off to such a slow start, shupe? Is it goaltending as both them and the Sabres have allowed 41 which is more than anyone else in the league.

1.  Goaltending hasn't helped them at all.  Some kick in the nuts type goals when gms are close. 

2.  PK is brutal.  

3.  Very undiscplined penalties.  (Refer to 2). 

4.  They are playing ovi with beagle and crabb.  

5.  Defence is soft.  Not one guy back there that puts fear in another team.  

6.  Very soft.  Not that they need a clown but teams are pushing ovi around.  

7.  They seriously look like they don't care.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Anything is possible, considering that the Oilers traded Gretzky.

They'd need a boatload in return and any team making that move would need a lot of cap space.  I think it's more difficult to imagine a team trading for Ovechkin.  His contract is ballistic and he's not a 50 goal scorer anymore.

Yeah, he's a not a "rock star" like Rick Nash I suppose..............

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What the...?

I would be super excited to see Ovechkin playing for Boston.  I just wouldn't be super excited to see Seguin and Bergeron playing for the Caps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He'd eat so much pine in Boston, it wouldn't be worth it.  Julien would expect him to play within the structure.  That's not his style.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

He'd eat so much pine in Boston, it wouldn't be worth it.  Julien would expect him to play within the structure.  That's not his style.

If kovalchuk can play in NJ.  Ovi can play in boston.  Ovi may be down in production but hes a world class talent that makes any team better.  Never will happen but ovi would start hitting again here.  He hasnt been he same since he was suspended for hitting campbell.  Think about it.  He lost his edge to hit, he lost his scoring touch and now appears to have lost interest.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't teams now allowed to eat some cap space on traded players? Teams don't necessarily have to take on the full 9.5 million if they trade for Ovi. That's part of the new CBA right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Yea I saw that a couple of games ago. Ovi is only one man & super isn't in front of it. No matter how much he thinks so. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Dez.  I believe you are correct.  Similar to mlb rules.  Not sure how much teams can eat.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/gm-mcphee-addresses-state-of-nhl-worst-capitals-were-not-going-to-blow-anything-up/2013/02/08/1d027d40-722c-11e2-b3f3-b263d708ca37_story.html

While Oates toils with the lines to find the right combos, Ovie keeps the seats full. Leonis doesn't want to see a re-build so he will leave it up to McPee to fix. Trying to trade Ovechkin will be like Gillis trying to trade Luongo in terms of "wanting to much in return".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San- i would hope the caps would get a lot more then van would for lou.  Barnaby on twitter asked would you trade ovi for lou bieksa and a high pick.  No chance i would deal ovi.  Unless im getting some major talent.  Owner needs the building full.  They arent in rebuild.  They are a very young team.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

What the...?

I would be super excited to see Ovechkin playing for Boston.  I just wouldn't be super excited to see Seguin and Bergeron playing for the Caps.

Giving up on Seguin to get O.V. maybe ... but Bergy also No thanx. I still do not want to see O.V. on the Bruins roster. 9.5 mill. per is lot to handle for the length of his contract.

He would definetly make the PP 100% better. NAS you hit it right on the nose the Caps would definetly want the players you mention above. But Bergy and Seguin I would rather see not in the deal.

I could compromise Lucic, Marchand, Mcquaid or ????? going into a deal to get O.V

Question NAS do you think O.V. is coach killer ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

other possible candidates with cap room are Phx ( who can use help with attendance) Nsh., Edm., Dal and the Jets.

I think you have to envy the position both the Oilers and Jets are in this offseason. I could see both teams being cap teams next year (Chipman has already said as much) and they have oodles of cap space, with a lot of good UFA's on the market, while a lot of other teams will be hancuffed either by the cap or by low budgets. Both will have a great opportunity to bolster and or revamp their lineups, without a lot of competition due to other teams' cap restraints.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Red, 

are there any major differences makers out there?   The jets team is one i eant to do well.  But they need a face.  Love Ladd but he isnt it.