Would firing Julien save the season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

Would firing Julien save the season?

I`m not one of those that say fire the coach everytime a team hits a slump.But after watching the teams that CJ coaches,it seems to me that they can`t really stay on an even keel.They`re either playing very well,or very poorly. To me, a good team plays on a consistant level on a daily basis. This team under JC seems to just not put out the effort a times. What do you people think,is it JC not being a very good coach or is it this teams lack of effort? Heart,or no heart? What do you people think is the real problem?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rinkratpicks. Show rinkratpicks's posts

Re: Would firing Julien save the season?

One thing about great teams (detroit) is that even if the lose they always work hard. I'm not sure if that falls on the coaches or not but at times it seems the bruins are moving in slow motion and look lost out there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Honestly, at this point would it help or hurt? Who's to know! Go for it!!!!!! This team is soooooooooo dead, they need some kind of kick in the behind! This team has ZERO heart!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I agree with you that firing the coach everytime they lose a game isn't the answer, but I do have concerns about how this team is playing. I was really left scratching head after the loss in montreal. They got whipped, and it seemed that CJ had no answers. It appears to me that he is trying to play a system that just doesn't work against the smaller, faster teams. They just don't seem to hit and make the other team pay for making plays. If they are to move on in the playoffs, they need to impose their style, and not play one that they aren't built for. I believe that this is CJ's real weakness in his coaching style. 
    This Bruins team has some speed, but their real strength is in using their size. The prime example is when they hammered both Dallas and montreal physically, and on the score board. True this is a small sampling, but what just happened in Toronto? They got out worked, and the Leafs didn't get much resistence when they went to the net. This is where you have to make them pay. Take a few penalties if necessary, but make the Leafs and the habs afraid to go to the net. 
    I'm not saying drop the gloves at every turn, but surely they can at least knock them on their butts once in a while. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

It depends on a couple of things. 1) Has Julien lost respect with the players and no longer has an impact? I don't know the answer to that, as I haven't been in the room. I think the phrase "quit on the coach" is way overused, but at the same time I have to agree with Don Cherry that "something is wrong" with the team right now. This doesn't look even remotely like the team that many back in January (myself included) would have run away with the NE Division by now.

2) Can you bring in someone who will make an impact? I know the B's have Cam Neely, but does Cam have any coaching experience at any level to fall back on? He'd certainly have the respect of the players, but what good would that be if he gets murdered in the technical aspects of the game? I'm not saying he WOULD, but it would be very risky to put a guy who hasn't done much (any?) game managing into that situation. Other guys would perhaps not join the organization unless they had a deal that took them at least through next season, so bringing someone in at this point is also unlikely.

It's a difficult situation. I know the postseason is a new ballgame, but the B's are starting to remind me of Montreal '09. That Habs team had a lot of talent but a myriad of off-ice issues had the club in freefall going into the postseason. Everyone knew the Bruins were going to make short work of the Habs that year, not just because Boston was better (that was part of it) but also due to the chemistry of the team which was nonexistent. I think Boston does have chemistry problems right now. How much Julien is at the center of that to me is the X factor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Would firing Julien save the season?:
      I`m not one of those that say fire the coach everytime a team hits a slump.But after watching the teams that CJ coaches,it seems to me that they can`t really stay on an even keel.They`re either playing very well,or very poorly. To me, a good team plays on a consistant level on a daily basis. This team under JC seems to just not put out the effort a times. What do you people think,is it JC not being a very good coach or is it this teams lack of effort? Heart,or no heart? What do you people think is the real problem?
    Posted by djbosox2004

It would certainly save us all from having to read Fire CJ posts whenever there's a slump.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Would firing Julien save the season?:
    I agree with you that firing the coach everytime they lose a game isn't the answer, but I do have concerns about how this team is playing. I was really left scratching head after the loss in montreal. They got whipped, and it seemed that CJ had no answers. It appears to me that he is trying to play a system that just doesn't work against the smaller, faster teams. They just don't seem to hit and make the other team pay for making plays. If they are to move on in the playoffs, they need to impose their style, and not play one that they aren't built for. I believe that this is CJ's real weakness in his coaching style.  This Bruins team has some speed, but their real strength is in using their size. The prime example is when they hammered both Dallas and montreal physically, and on the score board. True this is a small sampling, but what just happened in Toronto? They got out worked, and the Leafs didn't get much resistence when they went to the net. This is where you have to make them pay. Take a few penalties if necessary, but make the Leafs and the habs afraid to go to the net.  I'm not saying drop the gloves at every turn, but surely they can at least knock them on their butts once in a while. 
    Posted by perrysound

That's what struck me as well PerrySound.  The Bruins should have been able to manhandle the leafs and aside from taking it too them in front of the net, they should have realized that the Leafs play their top 4 dman a lot.  They should have tried to physically wear down Schenn, Phaneuf, Gunner and Aulie.  That group of four are pretty strong, but you can only take so much hitting before it wears you down.

If I'm playing the Leafs, I run at these dman all night long and hope Lebda and Kommiserak get more ice time to compensate.

On the other side, this may be a chemistry thing or simply getting healty again, but the Bruin defense doesn't look that great aside from Chara.  McQuaid is a pylon, Kabby is an offensive dman, Siedenberg looked awful and I'm not sure about the other guys because I don't see them a lot but I wasn't impressed with the group as a whole.  They are in big trouble without Chara or when Chara doesn't play his usual top-notch game.

What was the fanbase take on moving Stuart?  I thought he was really solid and always played well against the Leafs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

save the season, did i miss something? its march, and the b's have ALMOST locked up a playoff berth. once in the playoffs(the second season), anything can happen.  all teams have ups and downs throughout the season. i just hope the b's right the ship before the playoffs start. it's little bit of everything you mentioned above- part coaching, part players,but also part recent developments(chara incident), part pp, part lack-luster play at home....ect. ---to say it's just one thing, is oversimplifying the issue. the goalies need to play better as well as the skaters. if the answer was so obvious, it would be easy to address. i really don't care where they finish, as long as they make the big dance, and are beginning to play with confidence. go b's

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

It depends on a couple of things. 1) Has Julien lost respect with the players and no longer has an impact? I don't know the answer to that, as I haven't been in the room. I think the phrase "quit on the coach" is way overused, but at the same time I have to agree with Don Cherry that "something is wrong" with the team right now. This doesn't look even remotely like the team that many back in January (myself included) would have run away with the NE Division by now. 2) Can you bring in someone who will make an impact? I know the B's have Cam Neely, but does Cam have any coaching experience at any level to fall back on? He'd certainly have the respect of the players, but what good would that be if he gets murdered in the technical aspects of the game? I'm not saying he WOULD, but it would be very risky to put a guy who hasn't done much (any?) game managing into that situation. Other guys would perhaps not join the organization unless they had a deal that took them at least through next season, so bringing someone in at this point is also unlikely. It's a difficult situation. I know the postseason is a new ballgame, but the B's are starting to remind me of Montreal '09. That Habs team had a lot of talent but a myriad of off-ice issues had the club in freefall going into the postseason. Everyone knew the Bruins were going to make short work of the Habs that year, not just because Boston was better (that was part of it) but also due to the chemistry of the team which was nonexistent. I think Boston does have chemistry problems right now. How much Julien is at the center of that to me is the X factor.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Hey Kennedy, you seem to be the only down to earth & level headed Habs fan on here. What's your take on Julien? I mean, he was fired by Habs halfway through his 3rd season there. Then he was fired in his 1st yr. with the Devils with 3 games left in the season with the Devils in 1st place in the East with 102 points. Now in his 4th season behind the B's bench things are really going south. Seems there is a pattern here. Why do his players quit playing for him? Did you notice this in Montreal when he was there. If I'm not mistaken, he had a real good 1st year their didn't he. I know he beat us in the 04 playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: Would firing Julien save the season? : That's what struck me as well PerrySound.  The Bruins should have been able to manhandle the leafs and aside from taking it too them in front of the net, they should have realized that the Leafs play their top 4 dman a lot.  They should have tried to physically wear down Schenn, Phaneuf, Gunner and Aulie.  That group of four are pretty strong, but you can only take so much hitting before it wears you down. If I'm playing the Leafs, I run at these dman all night long and hope Lebda and Kommiserak get more ice time to compensate. On the other side, this may be a chemistry thing or simply getting healty again, but the Bruin defense doesn't look that great aside from Chara.  McQuaid is a pylon, Kabby is an offensive dman, Siedenberg looked awful and I'm not sure about the other guys because I don't see them a lot but I wasn't impressed with the group as a whole.  They are in big trouble without Chara or when Chara doesn't play his usual top-notch game. What was the fanbase take on moving Stuart?  I thought he was really solid and always played well against the Leafs.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

I know what you mean about the B's D. They don't look too good most nights, but being at or near the top in goals against, I guess I'm missing something. Probably great goaltending. 

Hopefully Seguin will rise up and carry this team, if only CJ will give him the chance. 

I can't see the B's Management changing coaches at this point. And who would they put in there to replace him? We will live and die with him at this point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Would firing Julien save the season? : Hey Kennedy, you seem to be the only down to earth & level headed Habs fan on here. What's your take on Julien?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

I think Julien is an extremely strong Xs and Os guy--you don't win the Jack Adams if you're not able to handle the technical aspects of the game. And I think Claude is an OUTSTANDING communicator with players, especially young players. He's able to communicate his system to a team and get buy-in, usually really quickly. That builds energy, which can translate to success right off.

However, I think there's something to the patten that you bring up: Claude Julien as a head coach seems to be the embodiement of the law of diminishing returns. While Claude communicates and has a great system, I always wondered how well he was able to change tactics on the fly. I wonder about Claude's in-game technicianship; is it able to match his strength at planning and preparation? And the more familiar an opponent gets with a coach (especially if he has a consistent core of players for any length of time) the more in-game adjustments become necessary. I wonder if this is an Achilles Heel for Julien.

Communication wise, there's no doubt that Julien has a knack at communicating with young players. He excelled at the Major Junior and AHL level before jumping to the Habs, and I have witnessed first hand how hard it is to get young kids to maximize their hockey potential. Claude's very good at this, but that doesn't necessarily translate to the NHL, where WINNING NOW is important; you just don't have the time needed to spend on developing guys. As such, I wonder that after time goes on if guys see Claude as a coach who is one level too high, and stop buying what he's selling. That plays into the pattern you mention.

It's hard to speculate from the cheap seats, but that's what crosses my mind when I speculate about Julien and his management (of any team, including the Bruins).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

After watching the last debacle vs. the Loafs, CJ looked like a shined deer in the second period when they folded like a cheap lawn chair.  As maddeningly inconsistent as this team has been, and as I said after the Nashville game in a post, which Don Cherry echoed Saturday: "something just seems to be missing."

Put me down for CJ has lost this team........I think I would've made a change after that Toronto performance.  If Cam doesn't want it, bring in Milbury for the interim.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

I don't see the appeal of Milbury, outside of him being "fiery". He had 2 great years 2 decades ago (accompanied by Gordie Clark and Ted Sator, who were AWESOME assistants), and did nothing else behind the bench to speak of. Hiring him would be great for nostalgia, but I think he'd get handed his lunch if he only had 3 weeks to get his team ready for playoff game 1.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

I don't see the appeal of Milbury, outside of him being "fiery". He had 2 great years 2 decades ago (accompanied by Gordie Clark and Ted Sator, who were AWESOME assistants), and did nothing else behind the bench to speak of. Hiring him would be great for nostalgia, but I think he'd get handed his lunch if he only had 3 weeks to get his team ready for playoff game 1.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Good points on Clark and Sator.  However, "fiery" is exactly what this team needs....and accoutability.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's hard to save a season that isn't lost in the first place.  Revisit this topic after the next win streak.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Firing CJ won't "save" the season. The same people that want Julien fired are likely the same people that don't think the B's don't have the talent or aren't deep enough to win the Cup. Fire Julien and they might win the first round on emotion alone ,after that flatline.Heck thats what might happen anyway but it says here they won't sack Claude until after another post season disappointment ,as in a first or second round knockout.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Would firing Julien save the season? : Good points on Clark and Sator.  However, "fiery" is exactly what this team needs....and accoutability.
    Posted by nitch19

In the short term perhaps...but I think Milbury (never looked at as a good Xs and Os guy 20 years ago) trying to take over a new team in today's NHL with 3 weeks until the playoffs may get them fired up....only to get outfoxed badly by a coach who is smarter and much more familiar with coaching in today's NHL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

In Response to Re: Would firing Julien save the season? : In the short term perhaps...but I think Milbury (never looked at as a good Xs and Os guy 20 years ago) trying to take over a new team in today's NHL with 3 weeks until the playoffs may get them fired up....only to get outfoxed badly by a coach who is smarter and much more familiar with coaching in today's NHL.
    Posted by Kennedy97

Yes, very true.  Mike would need (like before) help from his assistants.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Would firing Julien save the season? : Yes, very true.  Mike would need (like before) help from his assistants.  
    Posted by nitch19

Pat Burns would be perfect for this bunch. Unfortunately, that's not possible.
    John Tortorella would be a guy I could see fit. Good luck prying him out of NYR, though.
    I just posted in a different thread, but I think the Bruins would be well-served (if they look replacement) to look at Kevin Dineen. I think he has the temperament, experience and qualifications to be an excellent NHL coach, and I think the fit between his style and what the Bruins may need would be tremendous.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I think it's too late to bring in an outsider ,if Neely wanted to step behind the bench I would be all for it but other than that,let's just see how the postseason goes.I think it is imperative that the B's make the final four but obviously things happen.If the B's fold their tents like they did the last two years[Flyers,Carolina]then I would make a coaching change in the offseason.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I think a coach is suppose to use player to their strenght.  Bs have a huge size advantage when they play the habs... why not cycle the puck in their zone until they get lost in coverage and get the Habs's D tired.  I just don't understand his strategy.  It is too conservative...wait trap... he must have forgotten that there is no more red line.  When skater comes with tons of speed it is almost impossible to deny entry in our zone!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

It would have back in January.  If it is going to happen it has to happen this week for it to have a chance.  10 left games after Thursday night.

Personally, they need to bring a PP specialist in and replace Ward in that capacity.  That would be the best thing they could do at this point.  The PP ineffectiveness is what is ailing this team right now along with TT poor recent play along with overall defense poor play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

Think their problems are JUST the coach?
    dillusional

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Why is Doug Jarvis up in the booth watching he will better behind the bench, he been with the team all year. Maybe a simple coaching change, can CJ and put Jarvis in his spot. Nothing to lose Jarvis always been the man to assist coaches maybe it is time for him to take over the reigns.

The Bruins team is very undisciplined and inconsistent. If we go down to NJD and MTL this wk. why not let Jarvis take over the remaining season and see what he can do for the playoffs. With 8 home gms. left and 3 road gms. this is the time to make a change.

The part that is a concern for me is, are the players unloyal to CJ and will they be more loyal to Jarvis that is the big ???????????

Sections
Shortcuts