Would Hall Have Been the Better Option: KPD Scenario

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Would Hall Have Been the Better Option: KPD Scenario

KPD muses in his last tweet that he was pining for PC to go all out for Taylor Hall in the 2010 draft.

The question is, would Hall have fared any better as a Bruin than Seguin?

I have seen many, many Oiler games living out West and Hall has even less of a defensive presence than Seguin plus is more injury-prone. Also, what first round selection has CJ actually been happy with as coach? Has any thrived in the current B's system?

Is Hamilton's fate to be soon traded as well?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Would Hall Have Been the Better Option: KPD Scenario

In response to jmwalters' comment:

KPD muses in his last tweet that he was pining for PC to go all out for Taylor Hall in the 2010 draft.

I have seen many, many Oiler games living out West and Hall has even less of a defensive presence than Seguin plus is more injury-prone. Also, what first round selection has CJ actually been happy with as coach? Has any thrived in the current B's system?

PC had the 2nd pick and was going to draft whoever the Oil didn't. If PC had given something to Edm. to swap picks then the pressure on Hall to perform would've been even greater. Why KPD keeps talking about it I don't know. Actually maybe I do. It's because he's a simple fool.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Thanks for answering Dez. Looked like no one would....lol.

Am I wrong? Has any of PC's first round selections actually passed CJ's muster?

Is there some kind of dis-connect here?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thanks for answering Dez. Looked like no one would....lol.

Am I wrong? Has any of PC's first round selections actually passed CJ's muster?

Is there some kind of dis-connect here?

I think folks see KPD and then tune out. I can't really say much in support of PC's drafting but can attest to his ability to construct a winning club in other ways. I never really thought much about Seguin vs Hall because the choice was never really there. Oiler fans can mull it over for years as it's their GM who made the decision. PC simply played the hand he was dealt and turned it into a winner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What indication has been made that Hamilton might be traded ?

PS. The "should have taken Hall" crowd is forming outside of the Bruins offices LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fair enough...does Hamilton suffer the same fate in a couple of years I wonder?

San, I ask this just based on the past history of the PC/CJ dynamic. No 1st rounder has survived as a long-term regular in the CJ era (though Caron is still pending.....hah). It has been 6 years now afterall.

Is it drafting or simply the current system in place or something altogether?

Fair question, no?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Up to this point looking backwards in the rear view mirror gets one into an accident.  In other words Hall was Edmonton's pick.  The options to sweeten a deal for him then would have been ludricous as they were still 18.  Down the road PC could be wrong trading Seguin. Yet, up to now Edmonton's (Tambellini now MacTavish)  pick of Taylor Hall could go down as a fault.  Time will tell.  PC made a decision today, bold and within the contraints of his boss.  He had cap limitations unlike Holgrem who had no strings on the buyouts this year.  PC did well in this case.  Kudos.  Seguin could go on to score 40, but he was not a defensive player of an Eriksson.  Nor would he go into the corners as a winger even on the first line.  He has the best team to excel now, so does Peverly.  Moving on.  I am sincerely hoping Hamilton does grasp  his defensive role in Boston.  Lastly just maybe Spooner showed enough to be a third line center.  

BDC log in issues are just insane! Help!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Hamilton seems like a really grounded kid with a good upside.  If the Bruins have an issue with him then maybe the problem lies with the organization.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

Hamilton seems like a really grounded kid with a good upside.  If the Bruins have an issue with him then maybe the problem lies with the organization.

No argument from me on this Hunt. Hamilton should be in Boston for at least another decade I hope.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

PC had the 2nd pick and was going to draft whoever the Oil didn't. If PC had given something to Edm. to swap picks then the pressure on Hall to perform would've been even greater. Why KPD keeps talking about it I don't know. Actually maybe I do. It's because he's a simple fool.

[/QUOTE]

I can't stand KPD as a hockey guy. However, he obvisously saw some issues with Seguin's off-ice demeaner, but the B's probably warned him where he treads about it. Do you think that's why he was so adamant, but subtle on his Seguin comments?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't stand KPD as a hockey guy. However, he obvisously saw some issues with Seguin's off-ice demeaner, but the B's probably warned him where he treads about it. Do you think that's why he was so adamant, but subtle on his Seguin comments?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure Nite but I get frustrated hearing him go on like PC had a choice in all of this. The Oil picked first. The Bruins got the other guy. It was pretty well cut and dried.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Dont think KPD wanted Hall over Seguin becuase of off-ice issues as I beleive he started that after  coming here and winning a Cup.

If Seguin were drafted by Edmonton, he would have been a center playing with pretty talented wingers, so I'm confident his numbers would be much different than they are after three years here.And yes, I know, his plus minus would be worse, thanks.

Unless they traded Bergeron or Krejci, were never going to see what Seguin was capable of. He's a center, not a winger. Centering Lucic and Horton, we would have seen much more than flashes of brilliance.

Playing wing on a line with Paille and Kelly, we didnt see a flash.

Not the kids fault, not the teams fault.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

KPD fails to mention the oilers tried to get the bruins second pick as well and offered any player on the roster the bruins wanted. So they were a little undecided about Hall and Seguin as well. The oilers made the best choice for their organization. The drafts are come n go they will have their franchise players then the busts. If Tyler Seguin takes his hockey profession serious and grows up a little sky's the limit. If he takes option number #2 at his current pace he will be a good player, option #3 if he can't grow up he will be a could've would've guy. I say option #1.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Dont think KPD wanted Hall over Seguin becuase of off-ice issues as I beleive he started that after  coming here and winning a Cup.

If Seguin were drafted by Edmonton, he would have been a center playing with pretty talented wingers, so I'm confident his numbers would be much different than they are after three years here.And yes, I know, his plus minus would be worse, thanks.

Unless they traded Bergeron or Krejci, were never going to see what Seguin was capable of. He's a center, not a winger. Centering Lucic and Horton, we would have seen much more than flashes of brilliance.

Kel, Seguin has obiviously learned the defensive side to the game by playing in CJ's system and with Bergeron in particular.

There is no doubt he will put up the points but do you think his defensive game will continue to evolve. And, if so, what is his ceiling? Will he turn out to be a merely a Kessel or a Datsyuk type?

Remember, Bergeron was not exactly a defensive stalwart his first few years in the league either....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

The third paragraph nailed it head on Kel but trading Krejci or Bergeton is not an option. I think hall would have been a better fit. Is he a better player time will tell . A better fit yes on hall. I agree with that post. If the b's had the first pick instead of number two one will never know.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I always wanted the Bruins to get Hall simply because he's a winger and the Bruins were already stacked at center. That's the only reason though.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

San, I ask this just based on the past history of the PC/CJ dynamic. No 1st rounder has survived as a long-term regular in the CJ era (though Caron is still pending.....hah). It has been 6 years now afterall.

Fair question, no?

Two things: yes Julien has some say on the type of players that PC needs to fit into the "system". Also PC deserves some criticism on his handling of the cap and not being able to pay Kessel becuase the Bruins were to snug in 2009. And Chiarelli squeezed himself again up against the cap which forced him to make a move today.

Chiarelli needs be more careful with NTC/NMC, upcoming extensions (cap squeeze) and doing better at predicting downward slopes when  re-signing veterans. You could also throw in drafting allot better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]San, I ask this just based on the past history of the PC/CJ dynamic. No 1st rounder has survived as a long-term regular in the CJ era (though Caron is still pending.....hah). It has been 6 years now afterall.

Fair question, no?

Two things: yes Julien has some say on the type of players that PC needs to fit into the "system". Also PC deserves some criticism on his handling of the cap and not being able to pay Kessel becuase the Bruins were to snug in 2009. And Chiarelli squeezed himself again up against the cap which forced him to make a move today.

Chiarelli needs be more careful with NTC/NMC, upcoming extensions (cap squeeze) and doing better at predicting downward slopes when  re-signing veterans. You could also throw in drafting allot better.

[/QUOTE]

I agree SanDog sooner or later that NTC will come back to bite him. He can thank Peverly for waving it or this really could have went down the wrong road.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Great point Dawg. This team is littered with these clauses (not quite to the CGY extreme though). Eriksson has one too starting tomorrow for what it is worth.

That said, no one is immovable...hell, Horcoff just got moved. Never Thought I would see the day...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why is it so hard to understand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I really like Hamilton -- his aggressiveness, vision, scoring and passing instincts, and seemingly his willingness to work hard to get better.  I'm not a hockey pundit, nor do I play one on TV, but I thought he might be the best part of the Kessel trade, even if Seguin had stayed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I do not respect KPD's hockey mind at all, and now he isn't even connected.  Irrelevent for Bruins coverage, let alone NHL.

KPD "distinguished" himself with the same crowd that just vote Ovechkhin to the 1st & 2nd Team All-Stars.  Guess he was able to edge Nancy Marrapese and Karen Guregian for that HHOF honor.

We can all be confident that when he made the "Hall over Seguin" call that he had not seen either of them play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Really San? This comment surprises me. The only reason tough choices like this had to be made is because PC is constantly putting all chips on the table for long playoff runs. If he were "more careful" and avoided "squeezing up against the cap" both in 2009 and now, then he's not trying hard enough to raise the Cup. Can't have it both ways.

He could've paid Kessel. He didn't think it would give him enough flexibility to ice a full well-rounded team. We all know how that turned out.

Now he's doing the same with Seguin.

Balance that with the fact that he did pay Lucic. He did pay Savard and Chara. He did pay Krejci. And now he's going to pay Bergeron and Rask. They deserve the salaries and long contracts. Seguin didn't.

PC is taking risks every year and spending to the cap. Those moves are paying off with one playoff run after another, and you either win it all and be happy, or don't and have to pay the piper the following season with more tough choices. The NT/NMC don't mean a thing because he's never had a player with one hinder a trade. They get waived. No biggie. I wouldn't want a GM do it any other way, would you?