Would Luongo For Lecavalier Make Sense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: Would Luongo For Lecavalier Make Sense?

I agree that it's "all Lou's fault", is a bit simplistic.  I also think his contract, not his ability, will make him tough to unload.  I don't care how good you are, unless you're a bona fide, proven superstar...contracts over 4 years, usually handcuff the team if they're looking to move someone.  2 more years at 6.5 mil, and a lot of teams would love to have Vinny, but that isn't reality.  With his current contract, Vancouver will almost have to give him away, or take on another ridiculous deal.
    Key here, could be the new CBA, if it kicks in before next spring.  Buyouts will be about the first thing on the table, and it's almost a certainty, there will be some sort of "out clause",when the deal is made.  The owners want it, and the PA will want it if the "buy out" is large enough percentage wise.  It'll happen, and my bet is that it will be retroactive, untying the Nucks hands, as well as a bunch of other teams with out of whack contracts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Great question, I think the deal breaker for me is that Vinny is a proven Stanley Cup winner, Leaky Lou is a proven loser when it comes to the big show. Therefore I tell Vancouver they can keep Lou.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Would Luongo For Lecavalier Make Sense?:
    [QUOTE]Makes sense for the deal with Tampa, though I think Brian Burke will make a play for Luongo.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    does the backup play the games in boston if he goes to toronto? hilarious. i hope he goes to the leafs. he would get an earful in the garden for sure. is it OK to feel bad for the guy, because.... NAW. he thinks vancouver is a hockey pressure cooker, good luck in toronto. he needs to go anywhere BUT toronto. send him back to florida(tb), jai alai makes the news before hockey. perfect for his fragile psyche. i could definitely see this trade happening.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Both contracts would hamstring the Canucks.  Lightning might be interested, but it's a bit of a mixed blessing.  If they take on Luongo, they're trying to win with the group they have now before their older core players time out.  But then, they'd be trading one of those older core players.  Moving Vinny would make more sense in the context of finding a younger goaltender, so maybe making a move for Bernier, who would be the backbone of a team built around Stamkos and Hedman and Purcell and Connolly and Griffin Reinhart (or whoever they take a #9 this year).  Actually, looking at myNHLdraft to see who they had the TBags picking, I see they've got them picking Malcolm Subban with the pick courtesy of Detroit.  Maybe that would make Luongo more palatable as the keeper until Subban is ready in three or four years.

But for Vancouver, I don't see that being much a deal.  You can't pay that kind of cap hit for a #2C, so unless he's playing wing with the Sedins, it doesn't fit.  If I'm Gillis, though, I might see if Columbus bites on a Kesler and Luongo for Nash deal - tweak that however you want.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Both contracts would hamstring the Canucks.  Lightning might be interested, but it's a bit of a mixed blessing.  If they take on Luongo, they're trying to win with the group they have now before their older core players time out.  But then, they'd be trading one of those older core players.  Moving Vinny would make more sense in the context of finding a younger goaltender, so maybe making a move for Bernier, who would be the backbone of a team built around Stamkos and Hedman and Purcell and Connolly and Griffin Reinhart (or whoever they take a #9 this year).  Actually, looking at myNHLdraft to see who they had the TBags picking, I see they've got them picking Malcolm Subban with the pick courtesy of Detroit.  Maybe that would make Luongo more palatable as the keeper until Subban is ready in three or four years. But for Vancouver, I don't see that being much a deal.  You can't pay that kind of cap hit for a #2C, so unless he's playing wing with the Sedins, it doesn't fit.  If I'm Gillis, though, I might see if Columbus bites on a Kesler and Luongo for Nash deal - tweak that however you want.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Book, that's an interesting suggestion. I'm just not sure the Nucks would see Nash as enough of an upgrade over Kesler. Sure he's a better pure scorer but I think Kesler has him in most other areas. That would be a great deal for Columbus though. How abouth Booth, Raymond and Luongo for Nash and Mason?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Dez I like that last trade idea.

Columbus is just a full on failure of a team. They can't draft worth a damn. They need a goalie and a whole lot of help.

Think Edmonton might be interested? They need a goalie and they have plenty of young talent with low cap hits. Not sure if Edmonton would be interested but I feel like they would be a better team with a good goalie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dez I like that last trade idea. Columbus is just a full on failure of a team. They can't draft worth a damn. They need a goalie and a whole lot of help. Think Edmonton might be interested? They need a goalie and they have plenty of young talent with low cap hits. Not sure if Edmonton would be interested but I feel like they would be a better team with a good goalie.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]
    Tough call Lam because the Oilers are going to get tight on cash sooner than later. They've already got a decent stable of young players with another #1 this year. With the way RFA's get paid nowadays, they better get ready to spend big bucks on Eberle, Hall, RNH, Gagne, and Yakupov (maybe). I personally think they'll take their chances with Dubnyk for the long run.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Take their chances indeed. Wasn't Khabibulin starting for them at the beginning of the year?

IDK I think Edmonton may need to move some of those pieces for a legit #1 goalie. All of the offense in the world can't overcome bad goaltending. Case and point Philly vs Pitt.

Another team that might be interested would be Islanders maybe? I think they might have enough bad goaltender contracts though haha.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

For all of the young talent that Edmonton has amassed over the years, they still are a bad hockey team.There defence is horrible and their goaltending is questionable.Getting Luongo,although i'm sure he would nix this trade, would not help the Oilers in the long run.He would be a big cap hit to a team facing looming salary increases to a number of players and would he really be that big of an upgrade over Dubnyk? The Oilers are going through a similar rebuild that the Penguins went through when they were collecting all of there 1st and 2nd overall picks,but unfortunately for the Oilers their picks have not been as good as Crosby & Malkin to build around.At least not yet anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

The interesting part of the thread is all the credit steve y gets. He had his goalie and let him go. TB should not be looking for a goalie. I thought Smith played well when he played against the B's in the playoffs last year.I was suprised they let him go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]The interesting part of the thread is all the credit steve y gets. He had his goalie and let him go. TB should not be looking for a goalie. I thought Smith played well when he played against the B's in the playoffs last year.I was suprised they let him go.
    Posted by fishfinger[/QUOTE]

Easy to say now, I'm more suprised how Smith has perfromed for Pheonix this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Luongo For Lecavalier Make Sense? : Easy to say now, I'm more suprised how Smith has perfromed for Pheonix this year.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    I actually never noticed anyone on the thread giving credit to Stevie Y.

Sections
Shortcuts