Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?

It seems from statements made by the Bruins, that major changes to player personal are not going to happen, I can't help but wonder then, how do we improve on the PowerPlay ? Would replacing the PP coach be the answer ?

Outside of playing Chara up front on the PP (like we saw in 2010/11), all I saw the Bruins try was mixing up their personal. If replacing Geoff Ward was the answer, who then, would you like to see the Bruins hire ? I ask this because : A: i don't have a clue & B: i really would like to hear of some names that might be a good fit for the Bruins.

I can't help but think that the Bruins would still be playing right now, if we would have had a decent PP.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?

I'm not privvy to what happens in meetings but it would seem to me the system is to blame. I would hire Guy Carbonneau.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?:
    [QUOTE]It seems from statements made by the Bruins, that major changes to player personal are not going to happen, I can't help but wonder then, how do we improve on the PowerPlay ? Would replacing the PP coach be the answer ? Outside of playing Chara up front on the PP (like we saw in 2010/11), all I saw the Bruins try was mixing up their personal. If replacing Geoff Ward was the answer, who then, would you like to see the Bruins hire ? I ask this because : A: i don't have a clue & B: i really would like to hear of some names that might be a good fit for the Bruins. I can't help but think that the Bruins would still be playing right now, if we would have had a decent PP.  
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]
    Stuke, this is a very good question and I don't have the answer. Sure Ward is the PP coach but CJ is out there at practice too. In the overall scheme of things, it's CJ that has the final say on what sort of PP we'll see come game time. I've supported CJ as much as anyone but this is one area in which I think he's lacking as a coach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In my opinion, mixing up your PP personnel too much can lead to problems.

Now, I'm not a hockey coach, so I'm only commenting based on observation of the game.  It seems to me that deception and surprise are the keys to success on a PP.  Doing what 'is expected' by the PK unit allows for easy defense.  In order to successfully execute 'the unexpected', the PP unit must be VERY familiar with each other -- they must know when the no-look, cross-ice saucer pass is coming.  The guy on the half wall must know when the point man is going to move down from the other side, without 'sneaking a peak' and alerting the goalie and weak side PK forward.  The PP unit must know when a rotation is going to occur, when that pass between the D & F will be open, and when the 'slap-pass' is available. 

All of these things, I think, only come with familiarlity and repetition.  You don't get that by changing PP personnel.  Experiment during the pre-season;  find the guys who have the skill-set and chemistry to pull off 'the unexpected', put together two squads and stick with them.  Obviously, you'll have to make allowances for injuries.

Again, from a non-coach, this would seem to be a recipe for success. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Neely seemed to hint at that, look at it this way could it be worse if Ward was replaced?? i dont think so. Also it would be nice to have a Marc Savard type guy to QB it. I bet Scott Gomez could be had for almost nothing and he is that type of player, if you can get him cheap it might worth giving it a shot, he has always been a great passer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

First, I'm a guy lacking in the x's and o's hockey knowledge.
    So I can't say what's wrong with the PP, but it just doesn't flat out look right to me.  The whole thing doesn't look like it's being set up for a good shot on goal, but it looks like a lot of passing for the sake of passing.  It looks like too much shooting from the perimeter.  I won't bet my life on those observations, but I can say with confidence that there's not much that is threatening about the Bruins PP and their should be.

I'm more excited when they are on the pk thinking about them getting a shortie goal.

so I say yes depending on a suitable replacement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?:
    [QUOTE]In my opinion, mixing up your PP personnel too much can lead to problems.  The guy on the half wall must know when the point man is going to move down from the other side, without 'sneaking a peak' and alerting the goalie and weak side PK forward.  The PP unit must know when a rotation is going to occur, when that pass between the D & F will be open, and when the 'slap-pass' is available.  All of these things, I think, only come with familiarlity and repetition.  You don't get that by changing PP personnel.  Experiment during the pre-season;  find the guys who have the skill-set and chemistry to pull off 'the unexpected', put together two squads and stick with them. Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

And where Ward fails he is constantly tweaking and changing personnel. As Cam mentioned "a philosophical difference of how we look at the power play,”

We is not Geoff Ward...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Well, it can't be any worse off so my question would be why not. Really. The last 2 yrs it has been a total failure. 

I bet he is a Great Guy. But his PP sucks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : Stuke, this is a very good question and I don't have the answer. Sure Ward is the PP coach but CJ is out there at practice too. In the overall scheme of things, it's CJ that has the final say on what sort of PP we'll see come game time. I've supported CJ as much as anyone but this is one area in which I think he's lacking as a coach.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Good point Dez, which makes me wonder how much CJ will put up with if his name starts being used in the futility of the teams PP ? Would he keep Ward at the risk of losing his own job ? Hell of a guy if he did. But I guess we all know CJ has being fired a few times before.  (i'm just saying what has happened).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I agree, get him out

Let's get somebody in here and make some changes

A new coach can show Krejci, Bergeron and Peverly how to shoot like Stamkos or Vanek...then he can teach Boychuk how to hit the net with his backscratcher and dangle along the blue line.

Ward Sukz

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]I agree, get him out Let's get somebody in here and make some changes A new coach can show Krejci, Bergeron and Peverly how to shoot like Stamkos or Vanek...then he can teach Boychuk how to hit the net with his backscratcher and dangle along the blue line. Ward Sukz
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the reason bergeron,Krejci and Peverley dont shoot like Stamkos is not because who the coach is running the pwer play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

[QUOTE]Neely seemed to hint at that, look at it this way could it be worse if Ward was replaced?? i dont think so. Also it would be nice to have a Marc Savard type guy to QB it. I bet Scott Gomez could be had for almost nothing and he is that type of player, if you can get him cheap it might worth giving it a shot, he has always been a great passer.
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

this is a joke right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

It just seems the present arrangement of the power play, whatever identity it is trying to establish does not play to the strengths of the players assigned to operate it.  Somehow it appears to be a situation of here's the structure.  Make it work.  Adhere yourselves to it. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Geoff Ward needs to go for the team needs an excuse.  Savard was a great PP player, he create chances, but his effectiveness is now two years removed.  Horton had a knack of making teams aware of his quick shot, Seguin will be the same.  I love how he can shoot and skate at the same time, a rarity in hockey.  The real question deals with CJ, although the PP is a special team play, it is not football.  The players are the same on defense, offense, and neutral zone play.  Continuing with that thought, CJ is always mindful of the impact on defensive schemes.  SoWard then only played a part of the larger plan imo. He is not entirely the blame in other words.  Lastly if he was going to be fired it would have been by now?   

BTW Gomez will only pass beers at the Idotarod celebrations, he has the money and will be unemployed within a few years.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Teams will look to firing Head Coach when they underachieve and the Management usually states 'Well, we felt that a change needed to be made...' as if someone had to pay the price.

If I was management - and saw that(primarily) the team's problems revolve around their lack of PP success - I would defintely say that a change needed to be made. And the man (mostly) responsible for the PP is Ward.

Sorry, gotta go Geoff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I am also not an X's and O's guy.

I would like to find a coach who favors a PP with more movement. As others said, that could be CJ.

I would like the Seguin to be featured. I would have him QB the no 1 line.  If he is moving and attracting attention, I'm sure Chara's one-timer would be alot more effective, as would eveeryone else, if Seguin can play to his potential. He's very mature for his age and I believe he would flourish given the proper opportunity. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : this is a joke right?
    Posted by Neecic[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Definitely wouldn't make it any worse.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

One of my biggest gripes about the power play is the lack of power play time Johnny Boychuk gets. The guy has a rocket. Put him on the point. Rich Peverly should not be playing the point on the power play. Teams don't fear his shot. They prevent Chara from shooting and dare Peverly to shoot. They would have to respect Boychuk's shot. If we would've had an average power play against Washington, we would've won the series. I think we have enough weapons to have a good power play if the personel is used right, which I don't believe it is. If that is Ward's fault, then fire him 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

I like Carbonneau now that he is not part of the Habs. He's a smart guy and was a great defensive player. I remember him as the guy playing against the other team's power play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

I'd offer the job to Recchi.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

besides jarvis, b's don't have any stellar asst coaches.  look at the devils... freaking larry robinson and adam oates! 

i would have fired geoff ward last year for the recchin ball. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

People get the impression that having great players behind the bench and voila......they'll be great coaches and instant upgrades to whatever ails a team.

Check out these names. Jamie Kompon, John Stevens, Jim Playfair, John Anderson, Dean Evason, Jim Johnson, Mike Sullivan and Jim Schoenfeld. All assistant coaches for the remaining teams still alive.

Great hockey players like Oates and Robinson ? No . Teams don't need coaches with big names to succeed. They need coaches who know how to coach.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

It is a we question not a singular question:

(1) Replacing Ward would be a good start and who would I hire to take Ward's spot very simple Denis Savard he knows offense, lead PP as player and knows where to be for those big goals.

(2) Ever since Marc Savard injury and Kessel departure our PP is gone down hill
        (A) The Bruins already have Seguin replacing Kessel, our future blue liner     Hamilton.
    The replacement for Savard evereyone is talking Parise Parise - short term solutions trade  Krejci for P. Marleau 6.9 mill minus Krejci 5 mill we can have a experience center man with better smarts for less then 2 mill for two years

Looch Marleau Seguin Chara Boys 1st PP
    March Bergy Horton Hamilton Rolston (resign low cost good utility player and get some nights off by replacing with young prospect randomly)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It couldn't hurrt right?  I mean, it would be pretty hard to find a PP coach who could keep the PP as futile as it has been recently.

I don't know enough to be clear on what else Ward does for the team, but it seems like from a basic stadnpoint of accountability a change needs to be made.  For the better part of two years the PP doesn't just look bad -- it looks poorly organized and set-up.  It looks like it lacks creativity and needed adjustments.  Try someone else. 

Sections
Shortcuts