Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?

Both offense and defense are the responsibility of the COACH, not his assistants. Claude is the guy for better or worse. Ward and Houda only do what Claude dictates. Claude deserves his kudos, but he also deserves the criticism when his way is not working.  His commitment to Thornton is unbelievable, when that position could be filled by a goal scorer. This team has a solid core, thanks to Chiarelli. Now Claude needs to improve or fade away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

my thoughts on the PP are its to predictable and they dont have enough front of the net presence. If Lucic is going to be on the PP then he needs to be in front of the goalie and not to the side of him or in the slot, Make the goalie and DMan's life miserable in front of the net. 

Every team knows that the B's are going to try and set Chara up for the blast and as soon as they see it coming they make a b-line to take Chara's space away. Washington did a great job of this. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?:
    Neely seemed to hint at that, look at it this way could it be worse if Ward was replaced?? i dont think so. Also it would be nice to have a Marc Savard type guy to QB it. I bet Scott Gomez could be had for almost nothing and he is that type of player, if you can get him cheap it might worth giving it a shot, he has always been a great passer.
    Posted by fourrings

Scott Gomez? You can't be serious. You wouldnt actually want him on the Bruins right. With this acquisition alone we would no longer be cup hoepfuls given the cap space he takes. On the other hand he only costs you about $600,000/point

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

I am also not an X's and O's guy. I would like to find a coach who favors a PP with more movement. As others said, that could be CJ. I would like the Seguin to be featured. I would have him QB the no 1 line.  If he is moving and attracting attention, I'm sure Chara's one-timer would be alot more effective, as would eveeryone else, if Seguin can play to his potential. He's very mature for his age and I believe he would flourish given the proper opportunity. 
    Posted by RickyHussle

could it be that the bruins just don't have the elite offensive talent that produces a high scoring pp(see stamkos and the lightning)? how else do you explain chara being the pp goal leader? not a single 30 goal scorer on the roster. watching the pp for the past couple seasons, i think it's fairly obvious they are WAY too stationary(no one has confidence with the puck on their stick). i don't attend the practices, but i'm fairly certain the coaches don't instruct them to stop skating altogether, because that's what they do. seguin has the potential to be that offensive dynamo, but he doesn't strike fear into an opposing teams pk. the teams with the best pp's usually have an elite goal scorer on their roster. the bruins don't. they have balanced scoring- (6) 20 scorers. nobody is afraid of a 20 goal scorer that would rather pass than shoot or is not confident enough to take on a defender 1v1- creating a 2v1 somewhere else. the bruins pp treats the puck like a hot potato. how about that angle?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Both offense and defense are the responsibility of the COACH, not his assistants. Claude is the guy for better or worse. Ward and Houda only do what Claude dictates. Claude deserves his kudos, but he also deserves the criticism when his way is not working.  His commitment to Thornton is unbelievable, when that position could be filled by a goal scorer. This team has a solid core, thanks to Chiarelli. Now Claude needs to improve or fade away.
    Posted by bogie6

Please tell me you're kidding? What 4th line in the NHL carries a player that is considered a goal scorer? Better yet, what team in the NHL can afford to SIGN a goal scorer to the 4th line? What is it that everyone has a problem with our 4th line. They were one of the most productive 4th lines in the NHL last season and consistently brought energy and puck possession to a game.

Ok let's say you're not kidding. Who do you think would be a goal scorer that we could afford to sign and put out for 4th line minutes? ~ MAYBE 12 minutes a game. I'll wait.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : could it be that the bruins just don't have the elite offensive talent that produces a high scoring pp(see stamkos and the lightning)? how else do you explain chara being the pp goal leader? not a single 30 goal scorer on the roster. watching the pp for the past couple seasons, i think it's fairly obvious they are WAY too stationary(no one has confidence with the puck on their stick). i don't attend the practices, but i'm fairly certain the coaches don't instruct them to stop skating altogether, because that's what they do. seguin has the potential to be that offensive dynamo, but he doesn't strike fear into an opposing teams pk. the teams with the best pp's usually have an elite goal scorer on their roster. the bruins don't. they have balanced scoring- (6) 20 scorers. nobody is afraid of a 20 goal scorer that would rather pass than shoot or is not confident enough to take on a defender 1v1- creating a 2v1 somewhere else. the bruins pp treats the puck like a hot potato. how about that angle?
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I don't think it's all about so-called "elite offensive talent" -- how does Nashville have the league's best PP (by %age) in the regular season? 

I think it's about familiarity, creativity and repetition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : I don't think it's all about so-called "elite offensive talent" -- how does Nashville have the league's best PP (by %age) in the regular season?  I think it's about familiarity, creativity and repetition.
    Posted by 49-North

funny how you failed to mention... #2- sj, #3-edm, #4-van, #5-pit, #6-phi...that's kinda what i'm talking about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Personally, I hate the mentality that if something isn't working...heads must roll.  Whether business, or sports...I hate it.  Leaders are supposed to lead.  If something is wrong...fix it.  If you don't know how to fix it...figure it out.  Taking someones job away..because the boss really has no answers..is ridiculous.
    If it's a personel thing, ...incompetence...the fire the guy.  Too often, the guy doing the firing, is the guy failing to see the problem though.
    We don't know much about Ward, but we do know...these guys don't dictate much.  They follow orders more than they create strategy.  Obviously, lopping off Wards head is nice and easy...fits well, and gives the remaining survivors several months grace, as they then can blow off any criticism about the ensuing pp, as something that "takes time" to work out.
    If the pp is pretty much Wards show...probably time to make a move.  I'd be awful surprised though, if it is.
    I don't think the B's lack PP type players.  Sure, some are better than others, but  it isn't reasonable to accept the pp is as good as it can be, based on the assumption that the current team, isn't more capable.  In my mind it's way too predictable. Most here figure the objective is to get the puck to Chara, and let him unload. I kind of agree, and think thats a poor strategy. Today, nobody scores from the point, unless there's traffic, and the predictability card makes it even more hopeless.  There needs to be more movement, and I agree with the poster that suggested more creativity(takes a high offensive hockey IQ to pull that off).
    Perhaps the biggest thing is confidence.  We see how quickly a team can go from really good in one area, to really bad, and sometimes, just a little tweak, coupled with the dawn of a new season, and everyones off to the races.  I think the Bruins told us the answer...."the pp has to be re-thought".  I don't think there's much more to it, and it suggests maybe that area of the game is strategized by more than one person.  If that is correct...firing Ward is completely wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In response to "Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay?":
    In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : this is a joke right? Posted by Neecic
    No its not a joke, if you can get him at a low low price he might be worth a look, he is a left hand shot who can distribute the puck from the half wall, if it doesnt work out dump him and keep looking, like i said for a low price its worth a look

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Personally, I hate the mentality that if something isn't working...heads must roll.  Whether business, or sports...I hate it.  Leaders are supposed to lead.  If something is wrong...fix it.  If you don't know how to fix it...figure it out.  Taking someones job away..because the boss really has no answers..is ridiculous. If it's a personel thing, ...incompetence...the fire the guy.  Too often, the guy doing the firing, is the guy failing to see the problem though. We don't know much about Ward, but we do know...these guys don't dictate much.  They follow orders more than they create strategy.  Obviously, lopping off Wards head is nice and easy...fits well, and gives the remaining survivors several months grace, as they then can blow off any criticism about the ensuing pp, as something that "takes time" to work out. If the pp is pretty much Wards show...probably time to make a move.  I'd be awful surprised though, if it is. I don't think the B's lack PP type players.  Sure, some are better than others, but  it isn't reasonable to accept the pp is as good as it can be, based on the assumption that the current team, isn't more capable.  In my mind it's way too predictable. Most here figure the objective is to get the puck to Chara, and let him unload. I kind of agree, and think thats a poor strategy. Today, nobody scores from the point, unless there's traffic, and the predictability card makes it even more hopeless.  There needs to be more movement, and I agree with the poster that suggested more creativity(takes a high offensive hockey IQ to pull that off). Perhaps the biggest thing is confidence.  We see how quickly a team can go from really good in one area, to really bad, and sometimes, just a little tweak, coupled with the dawn of a new season, and everyones off to the races.  I think the Bruins told us the answer...."the pp has to be re-thought".  I don't think there's much more to it, and it suggests maybe that area of the game is strategized by more than one person.  If that is correct...firing Ward is completely wrong.
    Posted by stevegm

Okay. Got it. Don't fire Ward. You say, re think the PP. So my question back to you is, how long do we wait to re think the PP ? We have gone 2 plus years with a bad PP, are we willing to go another 1 or 2 more years re thinking ? And like I mentioned, I can't help but think if this PP was re thought by now, the Bruins would still be in the playoffs as we speak. I'm just curious as to how long we stay static ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : Okay. Got it. Don't fire Ward. You say, re think the PP. So my question back to you is, how long do we wait to re think the PP ? We have gone 2 plus years with a bad PP, are we willing to go another 1 or 2 more years re thinking ? And like I mentioned, I can't help but think if this PP was re thought by now, the Bruins would still be in the playoffs as we speak. I'm just curious as to how long we stay static ?
    Posted by Stuke50

Hopefully, they haven't been static.  Surely they've been working on it all along.  You're right, it hasn't been good for a while now, and I'm with you...if it was better, theres a good chance they'd still be playing.  And Stuke, I'm not saying Ward shouldn't be fired.  My point is...if the pp is all Wards strategy, and Wards execution...by all means, show em the door, it's not working and he is the one responsible.   If he's just following orders though...if the pp in its current state is the result of a system, and a philosophy of the management group(which I feel it probably is), then obviously firing him will be merely smoke and mirrors.  I don't want it to "appear" something has been done to fix things, when in reality its just corporate self-preservation,...I wanna see the pp go up a few percentage points.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Not surprisingly, this is a popular discussion among Bruins fans.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/5/10/3006792/nhl-news-boston-bruins-power-play-nhl-hot-stove-trade-rumors

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : funny how you failed to mention... #2- sj, #3-edm, #4-van, #5-pit, #6-phi...that's kinda what i'm talking about.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

But my point stands -- how does Nashville have the #1 PP in the league?

And it's not like the guys Boston has available are chopped liver -- Bergeron is tremendously creative; Seguin is a sniper; Chara has the hardest shot in the league; Lucic is a beast in front of the net; Marchand has a goal scorer's touch; Krejci is a creative passer.

There's no reason why the B's PP shouldn't be one of the best in the league.  To me, CJ should establish a fixed #1 unit, and let them work together all year.  I would be willing to bet that the top 5 PPs in the league are all set combinations, with no variation (except for injuries) all year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think the B's lack PP type players.  Sure, some are better than others, but  it isn't reasonable to accept the pp is as good as it can be, based on the assumption that the current team, isn't more capable.  In my mind it's way too predictable. Perhaps the biggest thing is confidence.  Posted by stevegm

It should be better is right but the startegy is wrong and the PP units never stay intact. To Stukes point Geoff has had time to improve.

My problem has been Ward sticking to the same units so it doesn't mess up chemistry that builds confidence and changing the strategy too much doesn't work.

I would really like for Cam to ask Julien "why hasn't a coach you hired and kept been able to get the PP going or more consistent ?". Loyalty has to be halted at some point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : It should be better is right but the startegy is wrong and the PP units never stay intact. To Stukes point Geoff has had time to improve. My problem has been Ward sticking to the same units so it doesn't mess up chemistry that builds confidence and changing the strategy too much doesn't work. I would really like for Cam to ask Julien "why hasn't a coach you hired and kept been able to get the PP going or more consistent ?". Loyalty has to be halted at some point.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Agreed, and the power play has the players, when you have a power play as bad as theirs was last year with the likes of Chara,Kaberle and Recchi and it still struggled thats telling me something. Thats 3 players with a pretty good track record on the power play. Now, I think the Cup bought him a year, but to have it struggle again and to keep changing personnel  be so stubborn with the strategy tells me it is the system.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : But my point stands -- how does Nashville have the #1 PP in the league? And it's not like the guys Boston has available are chopped liver -- Bergeron is tremendously creative; Seguin is a sniper; Chara has the hardest shot in the league; Lucic is a beast in front of the net; Marchand has a goal scorer's touch; Krejci is a creative passer. There's no reason why the B's PP shouldn't be one of the best in the league.  To me, CJ should establish a fixed #1 unit, and let them work together all year.  I would be willing to bet that the top 5 PPs in the league are all set combinations, with no variation (except for injuries) all year.
    Posted by 49-North

Kind of easy to answer: they have Suter an Weber on the points. Take those two away (which might actually happen next season by the way) and I doubt very much they will still be ranked #1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

i still say fire ward or move him further down the trough. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Would replacing Geoff Ward improve our PowerPlay? : But my point stands -- how does Nashville have the #1 PP in the league? And it's not like the guys Boston has available are chopped liver -- Bergeron is tremendously creative; Seguin is a sniper; Chara has the hardest shot in the league; Lucic is a beast in front of the net; Marchand has a goal scorer's touch; Krejci is a creative passer. There's no reason why the B's PP shouldn't be one of the best in the league.  To me, CJ should establish a fixed #1 unit, and let them work together all year.  I would be willing to bet that the top 5 PPs in the league are all set combinations, with no variation (except for injuries) all year.
    Posted by 49-North

they are the one team that makes your point. the other 5 make my point. which seems more like the way things are done to have a sucessful pp? marc savard was a perennial all-star(for his offense, definitely not his 2-way play) that netted the same amount of goals(20-30) as the other bruins, but he'd also have twice as many assists(50 or 60) as anyone on the team. he was the the catalyst- the engine that drive the pp. slick, creative and fearless with the puck on his stick. they have not replaced his SKILL on the pp. he had swagger on the pp, and made passes i would not recommend others make. i cursed him more than once for being too crazy with the puck, but 75% of the time he'd hit somebody's tape, to everyones amazement.  he was fluid and challenged the defenders and they would lose their shape. nobody on this team will challege a defender, they all get rid of the puck as soon as they can, and blast from the point. not very creative. seguin could be the guy and bergeron is a defensive specialist and face-off guy, not a highlight machine. the fact remains, nobody challenges the pk'ers. they find a spot on the ice and remain stationary looking to blast from the point. i do think that seguin could be the right guy, he needs to play with more confidence because the skill is there. the pp needs that guy the pk fears and makes them overcommit, leaving openings for good looks for the other guys. if wards pp coaching is "stay put, and blast it from the point", then yes, fire him. if not, someone has to step up.      

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

[QUOTE]One of my biggest gripes about the power play is the lack of power play time Johnny Boychuk gets. The guy has a rocket. Put him on the point. Rich Peverly should not be playing the point on the power play. Teams don't fear his shot. They prevent Chara from shooting and dare Peverly to shoot. They would have to respect Boychuk's shot. If we would've had an average power play against Washington, we would've won the series. I think we have enough weapons to have a good power play if the personel is used right, which I don't believe it is. If that is Ward's fault, then fire him 
    Posted by lordy4[/QUO

I agree and Boychuck did score on the PP in the playoffs.  I was waiting to see Chara work the net like he did in the Cup last year.  Big screen and draw penalties from frustrated defenders who can't move him.  Never happened though. At least we don't have Kaberle to blame this time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mohawkbruin. Show mohawkbruin's posts

You got to be kidding me, did I read Guy Caronneau to coach a pp, Gomez to anchor a pp, hold on while I throw up, come on smarten up, Fire Ward, replace him, maybe Marc Savard can help us out, retire and hire him as an asst. coach, we have or had enuff ex Habs,

Sections
Shortcuts