Would the "great one" only be a good one today?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Would the "great one" only be a good one today?

Thought this article was rather interesting. Was wondering what you guys thought? And what you thought about him saying todays athletes are better?
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/wayne_gretzky_doesnt_think_he_could_score_200_points_in_todays_nhl/7572091?linksrc=foxrg_nhl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re: Would the "great one" only be a good one today?

Maybe not 200 pts, but he'd still be the best player on the ice.(after Bobby Orr of course)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Would the "great one" only be a good one today?:
    Thought this article was rather interesting. Was wondering what you guys thought? And what you thought about him saying todays athletes are better? http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/wayne_gretzky_doesnt_think_he_could_score_200_points_in_todays_nhl/7572091?linksrc=foxrg_nhl
    Posted by callodthedom19

On the one hand, I think he's just being modest. On the other hand, I've always felt that Gretzky would find himself in the box much more in today's game since the little tug on the top arm was one of his best wepons. He was very adept at taking pucks from people with that technique. He'd still be the scoring leader in today's game though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think he's being truthful (in that players today are bigger, stronger, faster and in better condition), but also modest. In terms of skill, anticipation and 'seeing the ice', there's nobody today to match Gretzky. 

The game is slightly different today, but does anyone realistically think that Gretzky couldn't adapt his game to take advantage of the way the league has cut down on obstruction penalties? 

212 points? Probably not.  A consecutive string of Art Ross Trophies?  For sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Would the

In Response to Re: Would the "great one" only be a good one today?:
    I think he's being truthful (in that players today are bigger, stronger, faster and in better condition), but also modest. In terms of skill, anticipation and 'seeing the ice', there's nobody today to match Gretzky.  The game is slightly different today, but does anyone realistically think that Gretzky couldn't adapt his game to take advantage of the way the league has cut down on obstruction penalties?  212 points? Probably not.  A consecutive string of Art Ross Trophies?  For sure.
    Posted by 49-North

The guy retired just 13 years ago after a season in which he just scored 62 points in 70 games. It's not like he's from a different generation. Do you really think players have grown that much in 13 years? Were guys like Messier, Sakic and Forsberg not in very good shape? I believe changes in equipment has had the greatest impact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I'm not gonna even get into this.  Different era's for sure.  Sports Science is at an all time high.  Problem is it still doesnt create the brain.  Wayne Gretzky wasnt even close to being the best athlete(self proclaimed that he couldnt bench his weight).  But no one will ever have the brain he had for the game.  Ever!  You can create super athletes but Gretzky was a once in a life time phenom. 
    If Wayne Gretzky was on the PP as much as todays league or didnt have two dmen water skiing on him like he did in the 80's imagine the ice time he would have had to create magic.  Bigger rinks.  No red line. 
    There is only one Gretzky and he is the best player to ever put on a pair of skates. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I hate when people try to downplay what he did by saying he couldnt do it today..Well if he was their age he'd be bigger and stronger too. Ron Francis once said Mario Lemeiuxs' idea of off season training was once August hit he didn't order fries with his cheeseburger. And Mario smoked for the first half of his career. I'm positive players like Gretzky and Lemeiux would be great in any era, others too for that matter..One player who kind of goes against the grain so to speak is Brodeur. Still wears basically the same style of equipment, same style of play...I mean, look at his pads and look a a goalie like J.S Giguere or even Fleury. The great ones would be great in any era.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Can you imagine the destruction of the the league if Gretz and Mario played in 1938?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm not gonna even get into this.  Different era's for sure.  Sports Science is at an all time high.  Problem is it still doesnt create the brain.  Wayne Gretzky wasnt even close to being the best athlete(self proclaimed that he couldnt bench his weight).  But no one will ever have the brain he had for the game.  Ever!  You can create super athletes but Gretzky was a once in a life time phenom.  If Wayne Gretzky was on the PP as much as todays league or didnt have two dmen water skiing on him like he did in the 80's imagine the ice time he would have had to create magic.  Bigger rinks.  No red line.  There is only one Gretzky and he is the best player to ever put on a pair of skates. 
    Posted by shuperman

Couldn't agree more with all of this. The same theory goes for Orr.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

Gretz would be great in any era but given the physicality of the league today, he probably would have been injured far more often playing now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think Gretzky's brain is why he's struggled as a coach.  Nobody sees the game the way he does -- when he tries to design a game plan and impart its tactics to "regular players", they have a tough time with it, because they can't see the same things he sees, they can't process information about where players are going, where the passing lanes will open up, where the open ice is (and is going to be in 2 seconds) at anywhere near the rate that he can.

Maybe that's why so many coaches are the 'blue collar guys' -- the ones who, self-admittedly "didn't have the most skill, so had to keep the game simple", and succeeded through hard work, determination and sheer will.  Guys with supernatural ability (99, 66) seem to do a decent job in management, but not behind the bench.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Gretz would be great in any era but given the physicality of the league today, he probably would have been injured far more often playing now.
    Posted by SomethingBrewin

Rod BrindAmour's career said otherwise. His first 11 years in the NHL were against Gretzky and yet he only just retired 2 years ago after playing back to back 80 game seasons.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Posted by SomethingBrewin

I get that the speed of the game is faster.  But Gretzky was too smart and had a very long injury free career b.c of his smarts.  And Orr would dominate this league as well.  He just saw a completely different game.   And I do laugh b/c I think guys like Bure/Coffee/Mogilny/Gartner "et al" are every bit as fast and shifty as todays players.  I think todays players see black and white and the creative side for the past is something that is gone.  Players today are robots.  Get the puck, chip it out, dump it in, cycle the puck. trap the middle.  blah blah blah. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Would the "great one" only be a good one today? : Rod BrindAmour's career said otherwise. His first 11 years in the NHL were against Gretzky and yet he only just retired 2 years ago after playing back to back 80 game seasons.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I think RB had about 15-20 lbs on Wayne and could last longer. I just get the impression that today's hitters would have been more punishing on 99.

At any rate, we'll never know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Can you imagine the destruction of the the league if Gretz and Mario played in 1938?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Most relevant point of the thread.
    And most understated.

Myself as an example - if I knew then what I know now about hockey, training and equipment, I would have played one line higher on every team I was on.  And I'm dead sure that would be true for everyone else as well.

My evidence -
    Howie Meeker was one of *the* guys who taught hockey way back when.

Howie on stick length;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAOoLYZmgiQ
    I know it's a short clip, but I think the blatant disregard for stick lie is pretty bad.

And compare that to today, this is just some Olympic woman and not a household name in hockey instruction
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qewHf2N84o

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Oh Whatever?
    You don't compare diferenr era's never.
    How would Bill Russel do today

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Oh Whatever? You don't compare diferenr era's never. How would Bill Russel do today
    Posted by Canadianfan6

Never heard of him.  Was he a good skater?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Would the "great one" only be a good one today? : Never heard of him.  Was he a good skater?
    Posted by shuperman

Bam! Right in the kisser!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Would the "great one" only be a good one today? : Never heard of him.  Was he a good skater?
    Posted by shuperman

Not good enough to make it to the NHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/findplayer.php?full_name=bill+russel&city=&state=&y1=&y2=

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts