Would you advise Savard to retire?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Would you advise Savard to retire?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=204&hubname=nhl-bruins
    This is what I can find for concussions prior to Cooke:

2001/01/11Missed 3 games (concussion).
    2002/04/14Missed the last 10 games of the regular season (concussion).
    2004/01/14Missed 3 games (mild concussion).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

No source but ive heard this is his 4th/5th known concussion in the NHL, could have had others prior.

I have only had 1-2 minor ones from playing hockey, mostly self induced(used to throw big hits on kids much bigger than me) so I have never a problem with them.

My father was 1st string halfback at UNH in the 70's he said he remembers having 4 concussions. Back then the coach would throw some water on your face and throw you back in the game. After his 4th one during a game when he was sick and told to continue to play he quit the game on the field right then.

After he walked away he went on to have a good professional business career, and his doctors have said he did the right thing quitting when he did. IMO savard shouldnt risk another one, if he gets hit like he did by cooke again he might not get back up..... He should atleast hang it up for the year IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Badhab,
    31, 1 concussion, very mild, missed about 3 weeks..

That being said, I have no idea what I would tell him I would leave it entirely to his doctors to decide.  I mean you want to leave 30 million on the table?  Was he back at 100%, does he need to call it quits this season rest up and just come back at 100% next year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Im 17 and Ive had a few (2-3) minor concussions from football, nothing on the level of Savard.

The effects of concussions are miserable. Luckily I only had symptoms for a week tops.

I think that even if Savard feels he can come back, he should take the rest of the season to get better. In the offseason, think long and hard about not just your immediate future playing hockey, but also your long term future outside of hockey. He should ask himself if he thinks he can still play. If he still wants to play. Does he want to risk his long term health etc.

I think Savard will come back, or at least try to, in 2011-2012

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Yes. The sooner the better....We need to replace him with someone who wants to play hockey. You can't play the game looking over your shoulder and cowering all the time. He was never a tough player to begin with and he is only worse now. Did you see him in the playoffs last year? He was avoiding any contact. Survival was his ultimate goal. Can't win that way............ 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I hate to say it but ya, I think he should.  It goes without saying that for his sake, from a health standpoint and for the good of his family he should call it a day.  Looking at it strictly from a hockey view he is hurting the team now.  If he can't survive a hit like the one from Hunwick he can't play in the NHL.  He's tying up 4+ mil in payroll that could be used to for reinforcements.  His future is so uncertain not that the Bruins may be better off if he retired.  Savard has been one of my favorites.  I feel his arrival was key to the B's turnaround post McConnel.  I'd hate to see him go but it may be the best for all involved. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Would you advise Savard to retire?:
    [QUOTE]http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=204&hubname=nhl-bruins This is what I can find for concussions prior to Cooke: 2001/01/11 Missed 3 games (concussion). 2002/04/14 Missed the last 10 games of the regular season (concussion). 2004/01/14 Missed 3 games (mild concussion).
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Darn that I missed that obvious source.  That sounds like 1 serious concussion and 2 mild ones.  Calgary didn't make the playoffs that year so he was most likely still recovering in that time.

I'm going to suppose that he will retire.

I don't think he'd be leaving millions on the table, I think he still gets paid but it doesn't count against the cap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Badhab, 31, 1 concussion, very mild, missed about 3 weeks.. That being said, I have no idea what I would tell him I would leave it entirely to his doctors to decide.  I mean you want to leave 30 million on the table?  Was he back at 100%, does he need to call it quits this season rest up and just come back at 100% next year?
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

The 30 million is irrelevant.  These guys are insured to cover the salary if they suffer a a career ending injury.  IIRC, the fight Murray had over being bought out while injured was because he needed to be injured to collect the insurance money.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I see Savard returning this year but if he receives another hit like the last two hits he will shut it down for this season so if I were a family friend I would advise Marc to retire after the next hit but right nothing will stop Savard from playing this year IMO.

I feel Savard won't listen to anyone's advise then attempt to play next season then it depends he could go on like Bergeron have a collision like the Siedenberg-Bergy collision of Dec. 08' keep playing or say that's enough. I predict Savard will retire next winter after another hit or the summer of 2012 as the uneasy headaches mount.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Yes, but to be honest, in the same vein I'd probably advise all of them to play like the Bruins maddeningly often choose to play - soft and noncommittal in any situation where they may take a hit. You know, Horton hockey. I hate watching that kind of hockey and it wouldn't keep my interest over any extended period. 

I also had multiple concussions playing football, including completely blacking out a few times. In all cases, it was my own fault for standing up too straight and giving the opponent who had 50 lbs on me a clear shot, or for hitting with my head on defense. 

Savard's inability to control his body and the very understandable fear he was playing with is the reason for this latest concussion and was the reason he had his head smashed against the boards recently. 

I wish him the best if he chooses to return (because the only player who passes like him is 18, sits for extended periods almost every game and never plays on the power play. Krejci is brilliant passing in traffic, but Seguin and Savard are the only true "big play playmakers" on the team who think 3 steps ahead of the play, which is why they should have been on the same line with Lucic on the left wing. oh well. too late now) and that choice should be his once medically cleared, but if you ask me, I'd say it's time to hang 'em up and go coach his kids. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yes, he has 3 young children...He will never be the player he once was, and he's one check away from brain damage...Bergeron was/is a younger player, who took a long time to get back to being an efficient player after his concussion. The process with him was slow, but as you can see he's pretty much back to being a star-type forward (maybe not to the liking of some as a scorer, but his all-around game is brilliant). Marc is my favorite player, but for his own health, he needs to retire.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

Its going to be a tough decision for him either way. He should reach out to some players like Lafontaine and Kariya for advice as well. He needs to look out for his own best interest and thats his long term health, and the effects its taking on his family. I would advise him to take the Kariya approach, take a year off, see how he feels, then make his decision.

IMO I dont see him coming back this season

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yes.  At least two serious concussions in a year, three young kids, and $28 million guaranteed ought to be enough analysis for me.  Sad to say, but I'd hang 'em up.  The depression is nothing to sneeze at either.

Badhab, I also had a concussion from a bike crash in a race, along with compound fractured elbow, shoulder dislocation, and so on about six months ago...no more bike racing for me...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

I'd advise him to wait out, like Paul Kariya has, for the rest of this year and more if that what it takes. I know you have to protect the noodle but you don't want to offically retire until you KNOW for sure it's over.
    Besides, we don't really know how bad this concussion is. Remember Bergeron's second concussion against Carolina? There was a lot of people calling for Bergy to retire but I for one am glad he didn't!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Here is the thing:  If youve had even ONE bad concussion and you take another, you could wind up a vegetable.  I was one of the few guys going on and on about Bergeron retiring and I was also going on and on about Savard coming back.  Ive had numerous and serious concussions.  I played hockey, football and lacrosse my whole life.  Played hockey in college on a scholarship even.  Im 34 today and suffer from PCS 5 days a week.  Sometimes its debilitating.  Ive had 4 cat scans in the last 5 years because my migraines & memory are getting obviously worse.  Over the past 6 months Ive developed a slight stutter every once in a while.  All symptoms of severe brain injury.  When I had these concussions I was told they werent a big deal, I could keep playing, I might have headaches & dizzy spells but they woudlnt be a problem down the road.  Now Im being told I could have Alzheimer's by mid-life.  Thats a great thought when I look at my young son.  There are times when playing with him on the floor is almost impossible.  That really puts things into perspective. 

Many times professional athletes dont even know theyve had a concussion unless its a severe one, so thats something to think about there.  Many small hits to the head can have MUCH WORSE effects than one big one.  Ive heard Savard has now had at least 5 documented concussions.  Thats a SCARY number.  5 DOCUMENTED.  How many small ones?  2, 3, 5?

He needs to think about his health and his family in the long term.  The guy has enough money to live great for the rest of his life, so its not about the money.  I can understand guys not WANTING to hang it up, but when youre health is in jeopardy, and the well being of your family as well, that should take precedence over everything else. 

Retire and hope that he has no long lasting effects and he can enjoy life with his family and they can enjoy life with him.  Its really that simple. 

Life is worth LIVING, hockey is NOT worth your life. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

It doesn't matter if someone advises him or not, he's not going to unless the doctor tells him the next one will kill him or leave him a vegetable.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you advise Savard to retire? : Darn that I missed that obvious source.  That sounds like 1 serious concussion and 2 mild ones.  Calgary didn't make the playoffs that year so he was most likely still recovering in that time. I'm going to suppose that he will retire. I don't think he'd be leaving millions on the table, I think he still gets paid but it doesn't count against the cap.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

I'd also like to see him come back and break his stick over Cooke's head and then retire. Why hasn't anybody hit Cooke yet? IT'S PATHETIC!!!!!! Back in the day you took care of this. Ken Linseman....Bobby Smautz weren't tough but if you hit them they would take your ear off with their stick. That is how you protect yourself. All this whining is lame. If your teammates won't protect you and you won't protect yourself you are going to get flattened continuously.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I am well aware of what Savard brings to the Bruins when he is on his game. We've also observed how difficult it has been to reclaim his top notch capabilities, and how much time needs to be spent on physical development. My suggestion would be LTIR then make a decision on the post season. He has a passion for playing, which he could also channel into a pro-golf career. One step at a time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

35 with three concussions, one serious from a horseback riding incident - I was out for about a minute. Fortunatey I have not had longterm symptoms, but I know that's just luck.

Fo Savvy, this will be one of the hardest choices of his life, so while he is dealing with his health recovery, I would suggest he not even k about thisdecision and just focus on his health. Go on LTIR for the rest of thye season, wait until he's halthy, and then make the decision.

Hopefully that decision will be to hang up the skates. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

The more I read about concussions (this article in this week's New Yorker is especially scary; it's mostly about football but points out that concussions are actually diagnosed more often in hockey:)

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/01/31/110131fa_fact_mcgrath

I would absolutely tell him to quit.

Serious depression, early Alzheimer's...all common and frequent w/players in any sport who've suffered multiple concussions.

I really REALLY think Savard is an exceptional player. I truly believe the Bruins have ZERO shot at the Cup w/out him (or a comparable replacement; good luck)....but for the sake of his health and his family, I would tell him to quit before he gets seriously hurt for the rest of his life.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

No I would not, I would advise him to listen to his doctors and then think about it and come to the appropriate decision.  I am sorry but no one hear knows enough about his health, life and prognosis to make that decision for Savard.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

I know all the things that are being said are true, but were losing sight on one thing. Like Matthew Barnaby said yeasterday "these professional athletes know whats at risk when they sign up. We get paid very handsomely and there is a risk in our jobs, but we choose to take that risk."

Now I personally think nobody should every be permanately hindered by injuries that occur at work, but the fact of the matter is we would all take that risk to make that kind of money...ALL OF US.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Well of course all players accept the risk of injury to play professional sports and make big money, but permanent brain damage is a different thing.  I wouldn't accept any amount of money to be brain damaged the rest of my life while I try to raise my kids.

So the key issue for someone like Savard is making a decision at 35 that may gravely affect the rest of your life.  Would he have the same perspective at 45 given complications?  Who knows.

You can't lump brain damage in the same category as sports injuries though.  With all due respect to Barnaby -- they don't undertsand that risk until it happens to them.  Nobody does.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]Well of course all players accept the risk of injury to play professional sports and make big money, but permanent brain damage is a different thing.  I wouldn't accept any amount of money to be brain damaged the rest of my life while I try to raise my kids. So the key issue for someone like Savard is making a decision at 35 that may gravely affect the rest of your life.  Would he have the same perspective at 45 given complications?  Who knows. You can't lump brain damage in the same category as sports injuries though.  With all due respect to Barnaby -- they don't undertsand that risk until it happens to them.  Nobody does.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Savard is only 33 and wont turn 34 until july