Would you fault Horton if...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Would you fault Horton if...

he walked away. The guy has seen what concussion effects have done to Mark Savard, what they have done to the game's best player Cosby and so on. HOrton is a young guy who will get paid the rest of his contract regardless if he ever plays again. In the end he will probably have 10-15 million in the bank. It is a proven medical fact that once you have had one concusion you are much more susceptible to another. And after two...fuggidaboutit, the wind can give you one.
    Really, would you risk a lifetime of headaches and feeling like crap if you already had multi millions in the bank. Yeah, I know, the love of the game. But the love of a clear mind clearly trumps that, does it not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Would you fault Horton if...

In Response to Would you fault Horton if...:
    he walked away. The guy has seen what concussion effects have done to Mark Savard, what they have done to the game's best player Cosby and so on. HOrton is a young guy who will get paid the rest of his contract regardless if he ever plays again. In the end he will probably have 10-15 million in the bank. It is a proven medical fact that once you have had one concusion you are much more susceptible to another. And after two...fuggidaboutit, the wind can give you one. Really, would you risk a lifetime of headaches and feeling like crap if you already had multi millions in the bank. Yeah, I know, the love of the game. But the love of a clear mind clearly trumps that, does it not?
    Posted by pumpsiefan

I wouldn't blame him, but I can easily imagine what it might be like for him.

I can easily understand playing when you shouldn't.  The thrill of competition and the excitement, hanging out with guys doing something really fun and getting paid for it.

Imagine having any job on the super cool side of life that you really like, how easiy is it to walk away from that?  Really hard I would say.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'd have no problem with it at all. 

Remember, however, that for every story like Savard, there is one like Bergeron.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

he walked away. The guy has seen what concussion effects have done to Mark Savard, what they have done to the game's best player Cosby and so on. HOrton is a young guy who will get paid the rest of his contract regardless if he ever plays again. In the end he will probably have 10-15 million in the bank. It is a proven medical fact that once you have had one concusion you are much more susceptible to another. And after two...fuggidaboutit, the wind can give you one. Really, would you risk a lifetime of headaches and feeling like crap if you already had multi millions in the bank. Yeah, I know, the love of the game. But the love of a clear mind clearly trumps that, does it not?
    Posted by pumpsiefan

I won't fault Horton for any decision he makes. If he doesn't ever feel up to playing again then I'm just glad he got to experience what he did last year. His health and well being is much bigger than the game. That said, you're being incredibly premature in your "diagnosis". He's more likely to play again this season than he is to retire. The only thing the doctors seem sure of regarding concussions is that they're different for everyone. Heck, Bergeron has had at least 3 and his most recent had him out for less than a week. There's no reason for us to speculate until there's at least a hint as to how he's feeling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I wouldn't fault him.  Nor would I hold it against him, even though it would probably mean the Bruins would be carrying $8M in LTIR money next season.

I'm not sure I would expect it, though.  He seems like a guy that might view it as "giving up."

I didn't realize this, but Horton has a son.  Whatever decision he makes, I hope it works out for him health-wise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think Horton has the benefit of talking to both Savard (if he chose to call him) and of course Bergeron. It's delicate and it's a tough road. Crosby is doing it very slowly to return, and I think Horton wants to be 100 percent. No worries, and just hope he's ready by the playoffs. The team definitely miss his presence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

All I know is if he isn't skating yet, he won't be back for the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Horton also has other considerations...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Would you fault Horton if...:
    All I know is if he isn't skating yet, he won't be back for the playoffs.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey

I keep waiting for some positive news, time is running out and he's very important to this team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'd have no problem with it at all.  Remember, however, that for every story like Savard, there is one like Bergeron.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

This.^

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i hope he sits the remainder of the year. start fresh next year, hopefully 100%. if he walks away, i'd be surprised, but understanding of that decision. afterall, this is just hockey, lot of living to do beyond this... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

How could one find fault in a young man making such a decision?  One that would be made based upon the advise of medical experts and those dear to him. I will say this as well. The images of his overtime goals last year, and his sprinkling of "Garden Ice" in Vancouver are memories which will never be forgotten.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Would you fault Horton if... : I wouldn't blame him, but I can easily imagine what it might be like for him. Posted by BadHabitude

Neither could nor I imagine what it must be like to have to think about this type of decision.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Don't forget that Hockey has been his lifelong career, so IMO he won't give up early on. Hopefully, like Bergeron, he will abide by his medical advisors, and only return when he feels free of any problem.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Blame him, no. I wouldn't blame any hockey player for walking away at any time. They've got millions in the bank, it would be tempting to go live on a beach. They play because they enjoy the competition.  Horton's head injury is nothing like Savard's. Expect him back with about 10 games left in the season to get his timing back before go time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Blame him, no. I wouldn't blame any hockey player for walking away at any time. They've got millions in the bank, it would be tempting to go live on a beach. They play because they enjoy the competition.  Horton's head injury is nothing like Savard's. Expect him back with about 10 games left in the season to get his timing back before go time.
    Posted by OatesCam

That would be great news!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoBruins02169. Show GoBruins02169's posts

Let me preface what I'm about to say with this: I'm a huge B's fan. through thick and thin and a 3-0 game lead in the playoffs, I've stayed a fan. I want Horton back just as much as the next guy.

But looking at this team, the way they play and the lack of defensive presence, I think Horton would be better served by sitting this round of playoffs and avoid the punishment of playoff games by giving himself an extra 6 months to recover. With or without him, I don't see this team going deep in the playoffs this year.  they have a lot of cap space to go after a talented winger during the offseason, so I'd rather have him 100% healthy next year than possibly get hur in a 1st round exit in the playoffs.

But if he called it quits altogether, I would still buy him a drink if I saw him in a bar in Boston for the rest of his life.  two game 7 winning goals.  can't ever take that away from his legacy. 

Sections
Shortcuts