Would you pick Seguin #2 again?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again?

In Response to Would you pick Seguin #2 again?:
    [QUOTE]Yes it is only his first year in the nhl , only 18-19, and still needs to strengthen up. But just to start an interesting discussion, if we had to revisit the 2010 nhl draft and had the #2 position would you draft Seguin again?  We all know the truth is that if we had #1 there would be no doubt about it we would draft Hall. I can confidently say that PC did not put much effort to trade up for him (nor i can really blame him). Personally i wish he did though. It would have taken our 2010 #2 pick, next years Leafs first round pick or Tuuka Rask to pry the #1 pick away from the Oilers. Other possible scenarios on draft night would have been to trade the #2 pick for Gudbranson or Skinner. I have been always impressed with Gudbranson and he is surely going to be a great NHL pro for years to come. Jeff Skinner was high on the list for us to draft with our 2nd 1st round pick. I wasn't big on his skating but that doesn't matter when you can play the game. He can score and doesn't look like a rookie.  Seguin did have an oustanding year last year. But he scored most of his points against mediocre to bad teams, couldn't crack team Canada and didn't perform up to par in the playoffs like he did in the regular season. If you watch him play wing, he always seems to comeback to the middle like he is a centreman. Tries to carry or stickhandle through the middle instead of going strong on the outside. His passing game is bad and he isn't very patient once he has the puck. Because of his poor passing game he is trying to do it all alone too often. Even with added strength next year , i don't really see him having a huge impact like Stamkos is having this season. I have high hopes for him but my realistic side thinks he could turn out to be more like a Maxim Afinaganov who has brilliant speed and scoring capabilities, score 60 points a season, but not a very good technically sound player and inconsistant game after game. So my choice if we turned back the clock now would be try to get Hall , if not Skinner plus prospects,picks. 
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    As impressed as I am with Skinner I don't put a huge amount of stock in the first 1/2 season for a young pro.Kyle Turris and other young players have come out fast and dissappeared somewhat and then you have players like Stamkos,Ryan,and Couture who take a little longer to develop but are great young players nonetheless.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ask again in five years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In the NHL at 18, potential superstar/face of the franchise...ya I'd take him...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I can confidently say that PC did not put much effort to trade up for him (nor i can really blame him). Personally i wish he did though."

Because Hall and Skinner have more points ? Put Seguin on an Oilers team that plays wide open and no defense. I'd bet Tyler would have more impressive numbers if he were playing in Carolina or Edmonton.

At this point I'm still convinced Seguin was the right choice I don't need to evaluate at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to Would you pick Seguin #2 again?
    Posted by yaz16

Would have picked him #1.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think he looks scared because he's being nit picked to death by the coaching staff.

That he sat for a couple of games was outrageous, stupid and insane.

And I think that they are far up his backside as they can get.

Tonight vs. Panthers on the SO, he looked unhappy before the shot and after.  He took a very uncharacteristic snap shot from the slot.  I would bet he was told to do that.  His body language said that to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Yes it is only his first year in the nhl , only 18-19, and still needs to strengthen up. But just to start an interesting discussion, if we had to revisit the 2010 nhl draft and had the #2 position would you draft Seguin again?  We all know the truth is that if we had #1 there would be no doubt about it we would draft Hall. I can confidently say that PC did not put much effort to trade up for him (nor i can really blame him). Personally i wish he did though. It would have taken our 2010 #2 pick, next years Leafs first round pick or Tuuka Rask to pry the #1 pick away from the Oilers. Other possible scenarios on draft night would have been to trade the #2 pick for Gudbranson or Skinner. I have been always impressed with Gudbranson and he is surely going to be a great NHL pro for years to come. Jeff Skinner was high on the list for us to draft with our 2nd 1st round pick. I wasn't big on his skating but that doesn't matter when you can play the game. He can score and doesn't look like a rookie.  Seguin did have an oustanding year last year. But he scored most of his points against mediocre to bad teams, couldn't crack team Canada and didn't perform up to par in the playoffs like he did in the regular season. If you watch him play wing now, he always seems to comeback to the middle like he is a centreman. Tries to carry or stickhandle through the middle instead of going strong on the outside. His passing game is bad and he isn't very patient once he has the puck. Because of his poor passing game he is trying to do it all alone too often. Even with added strength next year , i don't really see him having a huge impact like Stamkos is having this season. I have high hopes for him but my realistic side thinks he could turn out to be more like a Maxim Afinaganov who has brilliant speed and scoring capabilities, score 60 points a season, but not a very good technically sound player and inconsistant game after game. So my choice if we turned back the clock now would be try to get Hall , if not Skinner plus prospects,picks. 
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    You're out of you're mind if you think it would've cost that much to flip picks with Edmonton at the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

"You're out of you're mind if you think it would've cost that much to flip picks with Edmonton at the draft."

So what would it have taken then to get the pick? I doubt it in addition our 2nd 1st round pick would have been enough for Edmonton to give up the #1 pick. 

Seguin does play a little scared. I have not seen him sacrifice his body in the corner or in front of the net yet to result in a goal. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

ABSOLUTELY YAZ!! and I disagree with your dissection of Seguin's game 100% some of your other comments also leave me scratching my head a bit..

Not making Team Canada Jrs.? Your kidding right?  If you follow the process  not many 17 year olds make the team to begin with.. Hall didn't make it either in his first try.. Seguin should have made it though,  but politics always play a hand in the selection process for Team Canada and that will never change...so they end up taking Hall's linemate buddies from Windsor  instead.. Neither of whom could carry Seguin's jock!  Worked out well for Team Canada didn't it ? Guess Hall and all his magic couldn't bring the team to the next level...

Also, the team Seguin played for in Jr. Plymouth was pretty lousy .. He was the only rose amongst a bunch of thorns quite frankly and they went up against a stacked Windsor team in the playoffs..The only reason they got in the playoffs was because of Seguin.. They had no chance..

Seguin will be a much better all round player in the long run than either Skinner and Hall, thats my opinion.. and I certainly would not have traded down to get inferior talent.. Guess PC agreed with that as well...Rule of thumb in the Draft by most astute GM's .. You never trade up when you pick #2.. Not worth the price.. What makes you think Gudbranson is so highly rated..Florida didn't think he was worth the cost apparently.. and he isn't even top 3 on this years Team Canada World Jr's...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin did have an oustanding year last year. But he scored most of his points against mediocre to bad teams, couldn't crack team Canada Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

There have been many top NHL players that were not picked for team Canada at the World Jr's in the past. 
    Drew Doughty, Eric Stall or Duncan Keith sound familiar to you? They just happen to be three players from Team Canada 2010 Olympic team that won Gold.  Want to know what else these three NHL players have in common? They all got cut from the World Jr. team imagine that.

Didn't make the World Jr team but good enough to play on the Olympic team, and for Stall and Keith they also hoisted the Stanley Cup.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Not to mention the number of minutes they play because of how few better players there are on either team. In the case of the Oilers its more a matter of avoiding injury, I'm sure Hall would play 25 minutes a night if they kept putting him out there. Hall and Skinner are averaging about six more minutes a game. Seguin is about the six or seventh most effective forward when he has a good night right now, and thats reflected in his minutes.

In Response to Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again?:
    [QUOTE]"I can confidently say that PC did not put much effort to trade up for him (nor i can really blame him). Personally i wish he did though." Because Hall and Skinner have more points ? Put Seguin on an Oilers team that plays wide open and no defense. I'd bet Tyler would have more impressive numbers if he were playing in Carolina or Edmonton. At this point I'm still convinced Seguin was the right choice I don't need to evaluate at all.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Second guessing that pick already? Crazy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Whats with all of these excuses? Seguin didn't make Juniors because he just couldn't. It would have been better not to have been invited in the first place. Seguin admitted he didn't do well during the invitation and you guys are being his lawyer?? 

Seguin definitely was a big factor why Plymouth got into the playoffs. But a big factor mainly beating out mediocre teams. You guys think Crosby surrounded with mediocre talent would let that get in his way to ultimately try to help his team win it all? How about Toews? Seguin is suppose to be this type of talent

Like someone said the kid is missing heart. He has outstanding natural skills but heart and fundamentals are sort of lacking. I'm hard on him because he was drafted #2 almost #1 and he has to want it more. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Whats with all of these excuses? Seguin didn't make Juniors because he just couldn't. It would have been better not to have been invited in the first place. Seguin admitted he didn't do well during the invitation and you guys are being his lawyer??  Seguin definitely was a big factor why Plymouth got into the playoffs. But a big factor mainly beating out mediocre teams. You guys think Crosby surrounded with mediocre talent would let that get in his way to ultimately try to help his team win it all? How about Toews? Seguin is suppose to be this type of talent Like someone said the kid is missing heart. He has outstanding natural skills but heart and fundamentals are sort of lacking. I'm hard on him because he was drafted #2 almost #1 and he has to want it more. 
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    So you see flaws in his game that somehow went unnoticed by every scout on the planet?PC would've been fired already had he done anything like you're proposing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

He's not even at the halfway mark of his first professional season and he is 18 years old.  I'm pretty sure that Stamkos didn't crack 50 points in his rookie season, playing with Lecavalier and St. Louis, and the team only won 24 games.  Seguin has 11 thus far, playing 3rd and 4th line minutes in a defense first system, and the team has won 19 games (through 34 as opposed to 82).  Did you really expect him to come in at 18 on a playoff bound team and contribute at a superstar clip?  Give him some time to develop and appreciate the fact that the Bruins are playing well now, and have a future franchise player developing in the NHL at the same time.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Joe Thornton also was a Bruins 1st pick and he was also 3rd and 4th line duty with some PK. Today he is still one of the better set up men and stick handlers.A good wine will need age to be better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Why does anyone think that the Oilers even wanted to trade that #1 overall pick away ? Because they were talking ? Or because of rumours from the media ? The Oilers were also talking about trying to acquire the Bruins #2 pick to go along with their #1 pick . Did the B's want to trade that pick away ? Here's the reality of the situation folks. Edmonton liked Hall better then Seguin. They had the #1 pick and they took the guy they wanted. Dream all you want about getting Hall ( as I did ) , what I believe in my mind is that once the Oilers won the lottery ( Hall would be their pick despite what others say who didn't watch their play in the OHL) and Seguin was wearing a Bruins jersey. There was no other decision for the B's to make. End of story. 

Now back to the poll. Based on Seguin's OHL play and 30+ NHL games, yes you make the same pick. He is 18 ! Hindsight is a great gift to have. Let's use it like others suggest 5 years down the road.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

He is lost right now.No Identity,no confidence,but he is trying.Looks like a chicken with his head cut off at times.Time and ice is what he needs,but will the Bruin faithfull bear with him.No pun intended.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Yeah, I sure would. 

I bet Nick Cafardo would trade him now for 2 3rd round picks and Glen Murray.

One must not have watched a single game this year to come to the conclusion that he lacks heart or that he needs to "want it more" (last night alone disproved it. he played late in the game specifically because he had hustled back the entire length of the ice and helped break up a late scoring chance). 

Big game tonight!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

No second thoughts for me. Let's revisit when Seguin is able to legally buy a beer here and see where he is at that point. I'd rather see the growing pains now when he's not being asked to be "the guy". Learn the defense portion of the game and the offense will eventually come. Guys who are all offense seldom buckle down and learn defense later on in their careers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

SHOULD'VE TRADED THE PICK TO TORONTO FOR KESSEL...AND IM NOT KIDDING IMAGINE KESSEL WITH SAVARD, KREJCI OR BERGERON WOW

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]I think he looks scared because he's being nit picked to death by the coaching staff. That he sat for a couple of games was outrageous, stupid and insane. And I think that they are far up his backside as they can get. Tonight vs. Panthers on the SO, he looked unhappy before the shot and after.  He took a very uncharacteristic snap shot from the slot.  I would bet he was told to do that.  His body language said that to me.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Really, you think they're messing with his shootout strategy?  Why, exactly, would they do that when he's been golden in the SO?  If they were using the first shooter to get a read for the next two, I doubt they'd waste Seguin's attempt for that purpose.

Look, Seguin is playing a bit like Sequin - we can all see it, and we're all reacting  to the fact that he didn't land and take the team on his shoulders.  But Badhab?  I find the conspiracy theories of how over-managed Seguin is sound more panicky about the situation than the OP's suggestion that the Bruins should have taken someone else.  It's no big deal that he hasn't found his groove.  He will.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bru-incanada. Show bru-incanada's posts

Yes without a doubt. this kid is a stud. I think there is a two part problem here.
    1st he is a 18 yr old in his 1st season. (anyone remember Joe @ 18)
    2nd is the system the bruins play.
    this kid can skate score and pass. let him play to his talents. we do not ned a whole team of two way players. let the guys with scoring talents skate and be effective in a way they know.

Sections
Shortcuts