Would you pick Seguin #2 again?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again?

In Response to Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again?:
    In Response to Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again? : oh all right already.  you would be paranoid, too, if you had a coach that told you on a penalty shot to "shoot it right at him, you have a good shot and if it doesn't bounce off him and in he'll be gun shy for the rest of the game and then we'll start popping them in on him."  True.  It was a high school freshman team.  and the score of that game that probably no one on the planet remembers ever even having played it was 0-0.  I did as I was told.  I curse myself for listening to that idiot to this day. And that yawning net in bantam hockey. It was only 39 years ago or so, so these wounds are still fresh.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Who knows maybe that one play could have meant the difference in going on to an NHL career.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

IMO, Seguin will be a better (all-around) player than Jeff Skinner. I watched a lot of OHL, and I really like Skinner as a player. You could make the case that he was a more potent scorer than Hall while in the OHL. Skinner was a better goal scorer than Seguin in the OHL, and likely will score more goals on an average-year basis in the NHL. However, Skinner is not as big of a playmaker as Seguin was in the OHL, and I don't think he will be in the NHL either. The goal-scoring difference will not be great on a year-average basis in their prime, but Seguin will surpass that in his better play-making skills, vision, etc.

Just my $.02.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

" Trust me, the B's fans would of loved having Hall. In two years he will be tearing up the league with hits, goals and assists." Don't be surprised after his current rookie contract , he jumps ship to play for the Bruins.  
    Posted by yaz16

Interesting theory. Remember that the Oilers have a BUTLOAD of cap space for the forseable future and will likely be $10M or so under the cap with a full roster the next few years, as they are saving money for when players like Hall, JE, MPS, etc. are in need for raises.

They could match any offer the B's would make for Hall and would likely exceed it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again? : Interesting theory. Remember that the Oilers have a BUTLOAD of cap space for the forseable future and will likely be $10M or so under the cap with a full roster the next few years, as they are saving money for when players like Hall, JE, MPS, etc. are in need for raises. They could match any offer the B's would make for Hall and would likely exceed it.
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Don't expect Yaz to allow logic to seep into one of his arguments.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

In Response to Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again? : Interesting theory. Remember that the Oilers have a BUTLOAD of cap space for the forseable future and will likely be $10M or so under the cap with a full roster the next few years, as they are saving money for when players like Hall, JE, MPS, etc. are in need for raises. They could match any offer the B's would make for Hall and would likely exceed it.
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Its not all about money all the time. Cliff Lee proves this case. If hall is worth 6 to 9 million a season in 4 years, Bruins offers 7 and oilers 8 per year that won't make a big difference for Hall to stay with the oilers. 

Hall's mom rooted for Orr and the Bruins, even signed Orr as his agent. Playing for the Bruins i'm sure is what he wants to do one day. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

I think he looks scared because he's being nit picked to death by the coaching staff. That he sat for a couple of games was outrageous, stupid and insane. And I think that they are far up his backside as they can get. Tonight vs. Panthers on the SO, he looked unhappy before the shot and after.  He took a very uncharacteristic snap shot from the slot.  I would bet he was told to do that.  His body language said that to me.
    Posted by BadHabitude

He was not unhappy, but he was distracted. Apparently what was not televised was an off camera stunt by several custodians who took a folding table from their lunch room onto the ice, and blocked SEGUIN'S vision of the goal during the shootout!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again? : Its not all about money all the time. Cliff Lee proves this case. If hall is worth 6 to 9 million a season in 4 years, Bruins offers 7 and oilers 8 per year that won't make a big difference for Hall to stay with the oilers.  Hall's mom rooted for Orr and the Bruins, even signed Orr as his agent. Playing for the Bruins i'm sure is what he wants to do one day. 
    Posted by yaz16

Sounds like you don't understand restricted free agency and how it works.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

"Seguin did have an oustanding year last year. But he scored most of his points against mediocre to bad teams" 
    Posted by yaz16

You make it sound like Seguin didn't put up points against the better teams

Against  the top three teams in the West last season

#1 Windsor 7 games  6 goals 3 asst = 9pts
    # 2 London  4 games 4 goals 3 asst = 7pts    
    # 3 Kitchener 2 games 1 goal  2 asst =  3pts

Against the top three teams in the East

#1 Barrie   2 games 1 goal  2 asst   =3 pts
    #2 Ottawa 2 games 1 goal  1 asst   =2 pts
    #3 Miss.    2 games 5 goals 3 assts =8pts

So in 19 games against the top teams in the OHL all he did was score 18 goals and 14 asst for 32 pts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I absolutely would. You can see that he has a high skill level but way too green at this point. Ask yourself, how many points/minutes per game would Taylor Hall have playing for CG in this Bruins system? Probably as many as Tyler Seguin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

In a heartbeat, looking forward to the future!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dickiebsb. Show dickiebsb's posts

i absolutely would. Its way to early to tell, but going into the draft there was Seguin, Hall and everyone else. Fowler, Gudbranson and Skinner were good prospects but a notch below those 2. He has struggle lately, but stamkos really took off the 2nd half of his rookie year, and has blossomed into one of the best goal scorers in the league. Time will tell, but i think Seguin will be top 15-20 player in the league

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Would you pick Seguin #2 again? : You make it sound like Seguin didn't put up points against the better teams Against  the top three teams in the West last season #1 Windsor 7 games  6 goals 3 asst = 9pts # 2 London  4 games 4 goals 3 asst = 7pts     # 3 Kitchener 2 games 1 goal  2 asst =  3pts Against the top three teams in the East #1 Barrie   2 games 1 goal  2 asst   =3 pts #2 Ottawa 2 games 1 goal  1 asst   =2 pts #3 Miss.    2 games 5 goals 3 assts =8pts So in 19 games against the top teams in the OHL all he did was score 18 goals and 14 asst for 32 pts.
    Posted by winexpos

No way to argue against those stats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Take Seguin at #2,  trade whatever picks, within reason,  to move to# 11, and take Fowler.  Two excellent players who fit into Bruins stanley cup run time frame. (Two years).  Next years picks' development will be too far away.  Very narrow window here for the whole enchilada. Fowler will be remembered as a steal.  Go B's.
    Posted by cam

Which is why I believe if the B's fall out of the top 3 (or if Landeskog goes #2), that they should trade the pick to get a 25-30 goal winger, and prospect(s)/other player(s). No offence to some of these players, but Larsson does not fill a great need. We have some good defensemen, and he's not exactly a great puck moving d-man. Nugent-Hopkins, imo, will be a very good NHL player, but he's a center, undersized and will likely top out as a 15G scorer with a butload of assists (see Henrik Sedin). He does not fit the pressing needs of this team going forward into the future.

I would be all for trading the #3 pick (if Landeskog goes #2) or #4 pick. Also, if we land the #2 pick, I'd listen very closely to offers from teams as an alternative to selecting Landeskog. He's gunna be a pretty good player, but not a superstar. Likely a Brandon Morrow/Ryan Malone type player with 25-27G on a yearly basis in his prime. Don't get me wrong, I really like Landeskog, but I'd listen very carefully to offers. #3 (if Landeskog goes #2) or #4 I'd def trade in a heartbeat (provided the proposal offers a 25-30G scorer and/or other players/prospects). The only player that I would NOT trade away is if we somehow get the #1 pick. You do NOT trade away a player with Couturier's talents, even though he's a center. He can play both wings pretty darn well, has excellent size, is a good goal scorer, playmaker and is ahead of virtually every player in the last 10 years defensively, that is not a defensive prospect.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Sure would. Way too much emphasis is put on a players success, or lack of success, in the early years of their careers. Let him develop and we'll see where he is in 3 or 4 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Seguin is seriously struggling to play in CJ's system. It involves being good at board play and playing defense. Both are Seguin's big weaknesses. When was the last time you seen Seguin hold the puck more than 5 seconds along the boards? 

Open ice hockey might work in shinny hockey or Juniors but the nhl demands competency in technical hockey first. 

Seguin benching was warranted and i'm sure Thornton really misses Campbell by now.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts