Wow, did Eller ever get destroyed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Re: Wow, did Eller ever get destroyed

Don't like to see anyone carted off the ice -- hope all is well with Eller -- talented player.

Otherwise -- really fun last 24 hours or so: B's win, Rangers lose and Habs lose. That's a personal hat trick for ths freak. Hope it continues. Dropping a few beers while I take in some Western Conferenc madness. May even call in healthy to work tomorrow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Clean hit unfortunately causing injury means suspension under the new NHL 'rules'. And the worse the injury the bigger the suspension. Three games I reckon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Brutal hit, but hard to find an infraction.  Incorrectly called interference on the ice.

Looks like Gryba has a hearing today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=668969&navid=nhl:topheads

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Shanahan and gang better grow a pair and not cave to the "hockey gods" in Montreal. That was a clean hit that had a bad ending.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Saw nothing wrong with the hit shoulder down elbow in never left his feet.

If Gryba gets a suspension what does that say no more hitting?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If there's a suspension, I'll be stunned.  I think they have to have a hearing or address the issue whenever a major and a game are called on a play, especially if they're called due to a hit to the head.  It's very clear to me at least, not even using Fraser's back-side camera, that Gryba's shoulder is past Eller's head before Eller's body reacts to contact.  The only head contact is the buttend of Eller's own stick thwacking him in the face, which I think contributes to his inability to protect his face as he goes down.  Say, teeth knocked out by stick, nose and other injuries from the faceplant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Its certainly a clean hit, I really  wish ellars well. What scares me is that with the call on the ice and 5 minute major, being in MTL, i think shanny caves in to a 2 or 3 game suspension that i certainly dont agree with, my first thought was, wow if he gets suspension for this  then you might as well take hitting out of the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

How about those doctors in Montreal ?  They already gave a full diagnosis.

And they did it without waiting for Mark Recchi? For shame!

The hit isn't one of those examples of "things we need to get out of the game at all costs". And the gushing blood certainly influenced the call, as pools of blood are apt to do in the NHL these days. I do believe that it's the onus of the "attacking" player to control himself in making the hit, but I think Gryba did. He may have been slightly off-target, but he didn't a) aim for the head (at least it didn't appear to me that he did) and b) he wasn't late: the puck was still being played by Eller. This isn't a Matt Cooke or Kyle McLaren type of play at all.

I hope he isn't suspended. I bet he is, though, and personally, I think that's an overall problem that manifests itself in all sports these days. In trying to cut down on grievous injuries or headshots (a good thing) there is an over-reaction that every hard hit is a bad hit (which is not a good thing). I'm glad I'm not the one who is entrusted with finding the happy medium that has to exist in a physical, rugged game like hockey. But I hope someone with more wisdom than I have will be able to do so, because every hard hit becomes a "will he or won't he" suspension discussion, and that's not fair to anyone, but the players are especially influenced, as it becomes difficult to know how, exactly, to play the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Great post Kennedy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Great post Kennedy!

Eeeek blood san.  I really hope you are ok after all the hard hitting that is going on in these games.  Nasty body checks and physical hockey.  Safe blankie.  All better.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

In response to BsLegion's comment:

How about those doctors in Montreal ?  They already gave a full diagnosis.

And they did it without waiting for Mark Recchi? For shame!

The hit isn't one of those examples of "things we need to get out of the game at all costs". And the gushing blood certainly influenced the call, as pools of blood are apt to do in the NHL these days. I do believe that it's the onus of the "attacking" player to control himself in making the hit, but I think Gryba did. He may have been slightly off-target, but he didn't a) aim for the head (at least it didn't appear to me that he did) and b) he wasn't late: the puck was still being played by Eller. This isn't a Matt Cooke or Kyle McLaren type of play at all.

I hope he isn't suspended. I bet he is, though, and personally, I think that's an overall problem that manifests itself in all sports these days. In trying to cut down on grievous injuries or headshots (a good thing) there is an over-reaction that every hard hit is a bad hit (which is not a good thing). I'm glad I'm not the one who is entrusted with finding the happy medium that has to exist in a physical, rugged game like hockey. But I hope someone with more wisdom than I have will be able to do so, because every hard hit becomes a "will he or won't he" suspension discussion, and that's not fair to anyone, but the players are especially influenced, as it becomes difficult to know how, exactly, to play the game.

Great post..... but why use the Kyle McLaren hit on Richard Zetnick reference. Why did you not use instead a Raffi Torrres or even better a Chris Nilan or Ryan Whyte reference ........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:

Great post..... but why use the Kyle McLaren hit on Richard Zetnick reference. Why did you not use instead a Raffi Torrres or even better a Chris Nilan or Ryan Whyte reference ........

Because it's one that most people here would recognize.

You're offended that I referenced a dirty hit by a Bruin? Come on now....every team has their incidents.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't know what is wrong with some of you.  Lars Eller is a fine hockey player.  He's not a deeebag by any stretch.  He's just a guy playing hockey.  Did you see the blood on the ice?  And this is a joking matter?

A duumbass country club in Vancouver makes a joke about Marchand's concussion and this place almost caught fire.  Now, Eller, who has caused no bad blood outside of the color of his jersey, is left laying in a pool of blood and gets carted off on a stretcher, and you guys are making jokes.

I've always thought of the B's fans as above this and that, above the reactionary Habs fans and insane Leafs fans.  Most of you are not.  You spend your time crying about the refs and making jokes about guy who was seriously injured.

Some of you make me sick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

You're offended that I referenced a dirty hit by a Bruin? Oh come on now.....

No not offended at all....... and yes it was a dirty hit by McLaren, and yes the Bruins had their share of dirty players throughout their history....

Just wanted to know why you brought that one up on a Bruins discussion forum.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

You're offended that I referenced a dirty hit by a Bruin? Oh come on now.....

No not offended at all....... and yes it was a dirty hit by McLaren, and yes the Bruins had their share of dirty players throughout their history....

Just wanted to know why you brought that one up on a Bruins discussion forum.....

Why not?   Bruins arent above this.  Bad plays and dirty hits happen.  And yes the bruins do them from time to time as well.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

You answered your own question: it's a Bruins forum.  Therefore, it's easily relateable. It's another situation where a Canadien player was injured, and it was by a Bruin so most people here would probably know what I'm talking about. It's also in DIRECT CONTRAST to the Eller hit which was not (IMO anyway) a vicious head shot, which means it's a great example to make the point I was making.

You're making an issue of this....why?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jrstel. Show Jrstel's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't know what is wrong with some of you.  Lars Eller is a fine hockey player.  He's not a deeebag by any stretch.  He's just a guy playing hockey.  Did you see the blood on the ice?  And this is a joking matter?

A duumbass country club in Vancouver makes a joke about Marchand's concussion and this place almost caught fire.  Now, Eller, who has caused no bad blood outside of the color of his jersey, is left laying in a pool of blood and gets carted off on a stretcher, and you guys are making jokes.

I've always thought of the B's fans as above this and that, above the reactionary Habs fans and insane Leafs fans.  Most of you are not.  You spend your time crying about the refs and making jokes about guy who was seriously injured.

Not one post here insulted Lars Eller. Some said it was incorrectly called a major/game misconduct. Some said they hope Eller recovers. Most said the hit was brutal but clean. One poster referenced Montreal fans calling the police when their players get injured. Even the Canadiens fans joked about "Dr. Recci".

No need to be so indignant.

Was a rough looking play, seemed clean after rewatching it a few times. Hope Eller is okay, he's one of the few Habs I like to watch.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

You answered your own question: it's a Bruins forum.  Therefore, it's easily relateable. It's another situation where a Canadien player was injured, and it was by a Bruin so most people here would probably know what I'm talking about. It's also in DIRECT CONTRAST to the Eller hit which was not (IMO anyway) a vicious head shot, which means it's a great example to make the point I was making.

You're making an issue of this....why?

I hear you and I really think that it was a great post and 100% accurate.

Keep in mind that most poeple here are aware of the other 29 teams in the league.... any other reference would have done the same to your point.... bringing up a 2007 reference of a Bruins laying out a dirty play just made me think that you wanted to stir the pot on a Bruins forum.

Cheers

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I must have missed the jokes.

EDIT: I take it back, if you were referring to the Dr. Recchi and the Montreal doctors I agree, probably not in good taste there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Keep in mind that most poeple here are aware of the other 29 teams in the league.... any other reference would have done the same to your point.... bringing up a 2007 reference of a Bruins laying out a dirty play just made me think that you wanted to stir the pot on a Bruins forum.

Cheers

There are many, many things I could use to "stir the pot in a Bruins forum"--a play that is a decade old referenced in a post that was the opposite of the Homer Hab position clearly isn't designed to offend anyone. In fact, I more chalk up your suspicion to you simply seeing my Rocket Richard picture and assuming that as a Habs fan, I can't put together an objective thought.  And if I couldn't be objective, obviously I'd be a Bruins fan, wouldn't I? *

(*DISCLAIMER: THAT is an example of something I'd type to stir the pot. And I'm joking.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There are many, many things I could use to "stir the pot in a Bruins forum"--a play that is a decade old referenced in a post that was the opposite of the Homer Hab position clearly isn't designed to offend anyone. In fact, I more chalk up your suspicion to you simply seeing my Rocket Richard picture and assuming that as a Habs fan, I can't put together an objective thought.  And if I couldn't be objective, obviously I'd be a Bruins fan, wouldn't I? *

(*DISCLAIMER: THAT is an example of something I'd type to stir the pot. And I'm joking.)

Kennedy, it's all good.  Don't pay attention to that guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I'm guessing the blood gets him a game but I think it should be no suspension, bad precedent to set suspending the guy.

Otherwise, you're telling the league that you have to play the puck in that instance and not the guy. Again, the pass is almost as bad as the hit.

Hope Eller is ok and that it's not a bad concussion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

Cheers

If that Not-A-Shot guy says its all good, then its fine with me............. Sealed....... I wouldn't want to get in trouble with him.....

Cheers fellas

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In response to Jrstel's comment:

Not one post here insulted Lars Eller. Some said it was incorrectly called a major/game misconduct. Some said they hope Eller recovers. Most said the hit was brutal but clean. One poster referenced Montreal fans calling the police when their players get injured. Even the Canadiens fans joked about "Dr. Recci".

No need to be so indignant.

Was a rough looking play, seemed clean after rewatching it a few times. Hope Eller is okay, he's one of the few Habs I like to watch.

I referenced the police after writing it and deleting numerous times. It certainly was not aimed at Eller and I truly hope he recovers from this. 

With that said it was obviously a reference to the Chara after math and I would bet money on the fact that it has been brought up in Montreal already. 

Sorry if it offended anyone, not my intent or style. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I dont think you went offside.  You didnt comment and say you were happy or he deserved it.  I think we likely all thought about the 911 comment. 

cheers man.  

Sections
Shortcuts