Wow, did Eller ever get destroyed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

Re: Wow, did Eller ever get destroyed

I never thought the McLaren hit was that dirty for the time.  Today yes.  Then, not so much.   Call me a homer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

Plus it was Zednik

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

NHL network just broke it down pretty well. Head was not the intial point of contact and he didn't raise the elbow at all. Very unfortunate end for Eller.

It's really going to confuse players if that's a suspension.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Should there be a suspension?

There was no target to the head.

The hit was not late. The hit was not early.

There was no elbow.

There was no knee.

There was no high stick.

There was no charging.

There obviously was no boarding.

There was no fighting.

There has not been a suspension for 'extreme' roughing - has there?

Then what?

If anything, I could see Shanahan dinging him for hitting Eller when he was in a 'vulnerable position'....otherwise, it was a bad outcome of a tough hockey play.

Get well soon Lars.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

There was no elbow.

There was no knee.

There was no high stick.

There was no charging.

There was no fighting.

Then what?

If anything, I could see Shanahan dinging him for hitting Eller when he was in a 'vulnerable position'....otherwise, it was a bad outcome of a tough hockey play.

Get well soon Lars.

That would have to be it, but if a player stops his instinct to hit he might as well retire or get out of the league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to Davinator's comment:

There was no elbow.

There was no knee.

There was no high stick.

There was no charging.

There was no fighting.

Then what?

Get well soon Lars.

That would have to be it, but if a player stops his instinct to hit he might as well retire or get out of the league.

Open ice hitting will be out of hockey soon. Sanpebbles will love this.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Why does Subban never get a penalty,he jumps in the air,tries to take player's heads off ,did the same thing on Lucic ,but he saw him at the last minute,to me his hit was more dirtier than one on Eller.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Speaking of vunerable, Sheldon Souray's upper lip was quivering when he was skating back to the Anaheim Ducks bench after the Red Wings scored in OT. The goal was of course scored on a great powerplay due to #44.

As clean a hit you will see in any hockey game, at any level. Good thing there weren't any retired constables or mounties to get carried away with seeing blood from the stands. They tend to like road kill sightings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Speaking of vunerable, Sheldon Souray's upper lip was quivering when he was skating back to the Anaheim Ducks bench after the Red Wings scored in OT. The goal was of course scored on a great powerplay due to #44.

As clean a hit you will see in any hockey game, at any level. Good thing there weren't any retired constables or mounties to get carried away with seeing blood from the stands. They tend to like road kill sightings.

Oh san.  If i could only tell you the scenes ive witnessed.  Would have loved you to be there.  when you give cpr to a dead 4 year old boy when you have your own 4 year old boy you might understand.  Its easy to sit in your guarded apt.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

PS. Im 41 , not 80 like you.  Im not retired.  :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Prust called Maclean a "bug eyed fat walrus" in regard to the Ottawa coaches view on the Eller hit.Them's fightin' words, the gloves are off. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Prust called Maclean a "bug eyed fat walrus" in regard to the Ottawa coaches view on the Eller hit.Them's fightin' words, the gloves are off. 

Also stated he hopes grayba isnt suspended.  I think he will need to go through neil first.  This series is gonna get nasty.  Prust needs to shut up.  I like prust but hes diving and yapping.  He better keep his head up.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Also stated he hopes grayba isnt suspended.  I think he will need to go through neil first.  This series is gonna get nasty.  Prust needs to shut up.  I like prust but hes diving and yapping.  He better keep his head up.  

You got that right Shupe and Prust isn't helping his teams cause.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

In response to BsLegion's comment:

How about those doctors in Montreal ?  They already gave a full diagnosis.

And they did it without waiting for Mark Recchi? For shame!

The hit isn't one of those examples of "things we need to get out of the game at all costs". And the gushing blood certainly influenced the call, as pools of blood are apt to do in the NHL these days. I do believe that it's the onus of the "attacking" player to control himself in making the hit, but I think Gryba did. He may have been slightly off-target, but he didn't a) aim for the head (at least it didn't appear to me that he did) and b) he wasn't late: the puck was still being played by Eller. This isn't a Matt Cooke or Kyle McLaren type of play at all.

I hope he isn't suspended. I bet he is, though, and personally, I think that's an overall problem that manifests itself in all sports these days. In trying to cut down on grievous injuries or headshots (a good thing) there is an over-reaction that every hard hit is a bad hit (which is not a good thing). I'm glad I'm not the one who is entrusted with finding the happy medium that has to exist in a physical, rugged game like hockey. But I hope someone with more wisdom than I have will be able to do so, because every hard hit becomes a "will he or won't he" suspension discussion, and that's not fair to anyone, but the players are especially influenced, as it becomes difficult to know how, exactly, to play the game.

LOL ... and I didn't bring up Dr Recchi. He's on a beach somehere. 

Pacioretty and Gionta hurt also.  My prediction of Habs winning is going donw the tubes. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Anyone know when the heearing is?  Has to be soon considering they play in a little over 5 hrs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I was thinking of what MacLean said last night  and I don't think it's really fair to blame Diaz,  how many times passes like that don't get the same end result of what happened to Eller . Instead it's called a great outlet pass .  

Now Prust is a firey guy and I'm sure he'll be looking to drop the gloves with Gryba (if not suspended).   

Now Neil is a firey guy and I'm sure he'll be looking to drop the gloves with Subban.  Nah... PK is smarter than that .... he must remain in the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I was thinking of what MacLean said last night  and I don't think it's really fair to blame Diaz,  how many times passes like that don't get the same end result of what happened to Eller . Instead it's called a great outlet pass .  

Now Prust is a firey guy and I'm sure he'll be looking to drop the gloves with Gryba (if not suspended).   

Now Neil is a firey guy and I'm sure he'll be looking to drop the gloves with Subban.  Nah... PK is smarter than that .... he must remain in the game.

PK is smarter than that, plus he'd get his butt kicked, unless he turtled

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I don't either, i watched the play and like Diaz said, he didn't see Gryba closing in on Eller. The pass was up the middle but these passes happen all the time with nothing of note happening. It was a hockey play gone bad and as expected Diaz feels horrible but i don't think its fair to hang it all on him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

MXT,  my point is no matter the outcome of a fight with Neil Subban in  the box for 5mins Neil wins.  PK is a > game changer than Neil.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

B - I agree, but it would still be nice to see him drop them with someone bigger than Marchand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

B - I agree, but it would still be nice to see him drop them with someone bigger than Marchand.

LOL... not a chance. Hey he did fight against Morrow .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Prust is an idiot. I used to respect him then he becomes a Hab, starts diving and running his mouth.

Good luck Brandon.....Neil will be looking for you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

The latest from Fraser on the Hit...here's a small part of it:

"broke down footage on-air with James Duthie to demonstrate Gryba's setup and principle point of contact off the head and center line to Eller's body making this a legal body check. The Officials had no such luxury and had to render a decision from one look as their recall was possibly being muddied by the shocking sight of Eller's blood. They would obviously have deep concern for the health of Lars Eller and they would want to assess the correct penalty if one was deserved"

Here's the whole thing:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422303

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

Why does Subban never get a penalty,he jumps in the air,tries to take player's heads off ,did the same thing on Lucic ,but he saw him at the last minute,to me his hit was more dirtier than one on Eller.

Was about to post the same thing. It's the definition of a reckless hit. The fact that he leaves the air after the hit doesn't matter to me. He's still launching into the hit. No doubt that certain Habs fans (not you Kennedy) would be calling for a suspension if Boychuk was the one throwing these hits.

Sections
Shortcuts