Wow, who would have thought Detroit might be a Lotto Team.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Wow, who would have thought Detroit might be a Lotto Team.

I guess Lidstrom was that important.

I know it's early but their GA is horrible, and they aren't lighting it up either. I didn't think there would be this big a drop off, and it is still early, but I can see some big trades to unload coming from Motown. I'm not going to speculate, but should be interesting to see if they put their heads in the sand like Calgary, or accept the fact they are old and have many valuable assets to trade. Franzen anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Wow, who would have thought Detroit might be a Lotto Team.

The Redwings have had an amazing run but they are becoming the Flames east.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

On the one hand, I think this is a bit premature, but on the other - Detroit has not had much success bringing in their younger guys.  The Helms and Abdelkadrs are depth guys.  Tatar and Nyqvist aren't there yet.  It will be interesting. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

For a reason that I can forsee, I just can't count Ken Holland out just yet. Slim pickings in trade partner as allot of teams are still mathmatically in the race even though they are playing like Detroit. For good reason I just can't see Holland saying to himself "oh these next two years are bridge years", just not thinking he has that kind of makeup nor would Illitch allow it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

I know it's early but their GA is horrible, and they aren't lighting it up either. I didn't think there would be this big a drop off, and it is still early, but I can see some big trades to unload coming from Motown. I'm not going to speculate, but should be interesting to see if they put their heads in the sand like Calgary, or accept the fact they are old and have many valuable assets to trade. Franzen anyone?

I'd take the Mule 10x over! Great play-off guy; I know I'm dreamin, but everybody's got to dream.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

For a reason that I can forsee, I just can't count Ken Holland out just yet. Slim pickings in trade partner as allot of teams are still mathmatically in the race even though they are playing like Detroit. For good reason I just can't see Holland saying to himself "oh these next two years are bridge years", just not thinking he has that kind of makeup nor would Illitch allow it.

True enough. Holland must be working the phones for a few Dmen. But they aren't scoring either. Not only did Lidstrom give them the best D in hockey for the last decade, but he was also the starting point of the their offense. He either moved the puck out or made a great pass to get things going. That is missing and all the stop gap isn't going to change that. Wasn't he the leading D pts man 2 years ago? Wow, how do you replace that. Kind of like when Chara was a top D point man, and the Bruins had a PP.

That team could rebuild fast with a few trades and a few draft picks, that Holland seems to have the skill to do. I guess we'll see soon if he really is the best around.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I'd take the Mule 10x over! Great play-off guy; I know I'm dreamin, but everybody's got to dream.

What I'd ge up for the Mule? 1st Pick, and Horton. Don't know if that is enough. Horton is 27, Franzen is 33. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

What I'd ge up for the Mule? 1st Pick, and Horton. Don't know if that is enough. Horton is 27, Franzen is 33. 

Horton and a 1st? Too rich for my blood, especially w/ Franzen's deal expiring in something like 8 years. Cap hit isnt too much now but when he's 36-40?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Where are the Krejci, Thomas and Boychuck for Franzen trade rumors? Kidding...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'm enjoying the fall of the Red Wings very much. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

True enough. Holland must be working the phones for a few Dmen. But they aren't scoring either. Not only did Lidstrom give them the best D in hockey for the last decade, but he was also the starting point of the their offense. He either moved the puck out or made a great pass to get things going. That is missing and all the stop gap isn't going to change that. Wasn't he the leading D pts man 2 years ago? Wow, how do you replace that. Kind of like when Chara was a top D point man, and the Bruins had a PP.

That team could rebuild fast with a few trades and a few draft picks, that Holland seems to have the skill to do. I guess we'll see soon if he really is the best around.  

So your saying he isn't anymore?Maybe he's a second pairing guy in your eyes?Just wondering.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The Wings have been in decline for a couple of seasons now. The loss of Lidstrom was the exclamation point. That said, it is early yet. We can have this conversation at the end of the season if the premise proves to be correct.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Lost Holmstrom as well and Jiri Hudler. Two pretty good players. Also, they overpaid for Kyle Quincey and now are suffering through the losses of Ian White and Smith..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

So your saying he isn't anymore?Maybe he's a second pairing guy in your eyes?Just wondering.

Chara's point production dropped off in 09-10, 10-11, after his first 2 yrs in Boston. It so happened that the Bruins PP went south at the same time. That was my point, which I've made on this board previously. Now you could agrue that his point total went back up last year, but the PP is still doing next to nothing, so maybe my observation is irrelevent. 

Just to be clear, I am not questioning his Defensive play, as I still put him in the top 3 of Dmen out there now, ( I am biased and don't watch enough of the other teams to make an informed opinion) but I see what he does to the other teams best players, and then watch the jokers on the Leafs blueline and really understand how good he is. We are lucky to have him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Now that you got me started, I do not think Chara is a great Offensive Defenseman. Good yes, but not great, like Lidstrom. I would like to see Chara shoot a lot more, and do not understand why the B's do not set up the PP up for his shot more often. Maybe they don't want to hurt the forwards with his shot, as it could kill people. 

I also don't think Chara is a great QB on the PP like Niedermeyer(sp) or Bourque. It appears to me that the opposition has a close check on him and he always passes it away or a quick shot, instead of making a move to create a varity scoring chances. How often do you see him really unload his shot? Maybe I do not see enough games, but it seems to me I really don't see the boomer often. I'd give him a 9 out of 10, because he's so good defensively. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Chara's point production dropped off in 09-10, 10-11, after his first 2 yrs in Boston. It so happened that the Bruins PP went south at the same time. That was my point, which I've made on this board previously. Now you could agrue that his point total went back up last year, but the PP is still doing next to nothing, so maybe my observation is irrelevent. 

Just to be clear, I am not questioning his Defensive play, as I still put him in the top 3 of Dmen out there now, ( I am biased and don't watch enough of the other teams to make an informed opinion) but I see what he does to the other teams best players, and then watch the jokers on the Leafs blueline and really understand how good he is. We are lucky to have him. 

As far as Chara's points dropping off, this could be due to the fact Savard got injured around this time and the B's PP has suffered ever since. The PP in general has been a sore spot for a couple seasons now and my feeling is it has looked better but hasn't yielded much on the scoreboard. There is always hope but we know Savard won't be coming through the B's dressing room door any time soon if ever again.I was watching an old B's game this past summer and was Savard ever dangerous on the PP, whether looking to pass or shooting, unbelievable and he had a laser of a shot. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Savard hired as a PP coach/consultant? Sounds good to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Now that you got me started, I do not think Chara is a great Offensive Defenseman. Good yes, but not great, like Lidstrom. I would like to see Chara shoot a lot more, and do not understand why the B's do not set up the PP up for his shot more often. Maybe they don't want to hurt the forwards with his shot, as it could kill people. 

I also don't think Chara is a great QB on the PP like Niedermeyer(sp) or Bourque. It appears to me that the opposition has a close check on him and he always passes it away or a quick shot, instead of making a move to create a varity scoring chances. How often do you see him really unload his shot? Maybe I do not see enough games, but it seems to me I really don't see the boomer often. I'd give him a 9 out of 10, because he's so good defensively. 

I think part of the reason the B's have had poor power play production is becasue they've revolved it around Chara too much..Look at how many times they pass the puck back to him, even forcing it. If he is able to get a shot off how often do you see him be able to wind up and let it go? because other teams pressure him, he gets off wristers or slap shots off of his back foot..They lost Savard and tried to revolve around Chara..if they got the puck down low more often, and they have tried it this year, it will force teasm to keep their forwards lower, not high and therefor open up room for Chara.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

If we change the focus from Chara at the blue line to Seguin (or whomever) at the half boards it draws the defenders lower into the zone. If we collapse the box down low that allows the point men to drift in and tee-up one timers. That to me sounds like what they need to do to take full advantage of Chara's shot. Even Boychuk can launch them. It doesn't always have to be Chara.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

If we change the focus from Chara at the blue line to Seguin (or whomever) at the half boards it draws the defenders lower into the zone. If we collapse the box down low that allows the point men to drift in and tee-up one timers. That to me sounds like what they need to do to take full advantage of Chara's shot. Even Boychuk can launch them. It doesn't always have to be Chara.

Exactly, as a goaltender, I love it when a team is on the power play and the puck is constantly going the other direction of the net. When it's on the half boards, i have to think shot or where everyone else is in case of a pass.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

As far as Chara's points dropping off, this could be due to the fact Savard got injured around this time and the B's PP has suffered ever since. The PP in general has been a sore spot for a couple seasons now and my feeling is it has looked better but hasn't yielded much on the scoreboard. There is always hope but we know Savard won't be coming through the B's dressing room door any time soon if ever again.I was watching an old B's game this past summer and was Savard ever dangerous on the PP, whether looking to pass or shooting, unbelievable and he had a laser of a shot. 

100% agree. Savard was so dangerous on the PP, and all other times too. Maybe that is really it. With Savard, it opened up Chara for the one timer, and now that the other teams don't fear Krejci or Seguin on the PP, they can take Chara's time and space away. 

Can you imagine if Savard did come back. I know he won't, but just for the PP alone...

He might or might not be a good coach. A lot of high end talent aren't necessarily good coaches - see Wayne Gretzky.