Yesterdays Game- a bounce game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Yesterdays Game- a bounce game

This is for all the "glass half empty" folks. Yesterday was what was called a "bounce game". I thought the B's played better yesterday then they did against T. Bay. The 3rd line got hemmed in their zone a lot, but the Sens never really got a lot of quality scoring chances yesterday. They just got the bounces. The ice was scrap after being just put in place 2hrs & 4 min becuase of the Celtic's game. That's brural ice to play on. When have you seen Brad Marchand, Bergeron & Seguin all have difficulty handling the puck the way they did yesterday? Their bread & butter is puck containment & the Krejci's line is puck pursuit! That's why it was more noticeable for Bergeron & company.

Soderberg had a rough day & that's to be expected. He's probably feeling the pressure now & is trying to do too much. I don't think he should be scratched for poor play. However, it may not be a bad idea to let him see how things look from up top a little more. I found he was rushing things more than usual the last couple of games. I think he's feeling the difference of the smaller ice surface a bit more, but he doesn't realize he actually has a little more time to make a play than he thinks. So, I'd start him in game one, let him feel the atmoshpere & if he's still rushing, or not moving quickly enough. Sit him for game 2 & 3 to get a gander from up top. It really is amazing how much you can see from up there. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Re: Yesterdays Game- a bounce game

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

This is for all the "glass half empty" folks. Yesterday was what was called a "bounce game". I thought the B's played better yesterday then they did against T. Bay. The 3rd line got hemmed in their zone a lot, but the Sens never really got a lot of quality scoring chances yesterday. They just got the bounces. The ice was scrap after being just put in place 2hrs & 4 min becuase of the Celtic's game. That's brural ice to play on. When have you seen Brad Marchand, Bergeron & Seguin all have difficulty handling the puck the way they did yesterday? Their bread & butter is puck containment & the Krejci's line is puck pursuit! That's why it was more noticeable for Bergeron & company.

Soderberg had a rough day & that's to be expected. He's probably feeling the pressure now & is trying to do too much. I don't think he should be scratched for poor play. However, it may not be a bad idea to let him see how things look from up top a little more. I found he was rushing things more than usual the last couple of games. I think he's feeling the difference of the smaller ice surface a bit more, but he doesn't realize he actually has a little more time to make a play than he thinks. So, I'd start him in game one, let him feel the atmoshpere & if he's still rushing, or not moving quickly enough. Sit him for game 2 & 3 to get a gander from up top. It really is amazing how much you can see from up there. 

Got to agree with you thought Bruins were trying to br to fancy,puck was bouncing around especiall Bergeron line,needed just to get shots on net and look for rebounds,as far as Soderberg,he has looked lost without Jagr.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great post, nite!

It was a fun game to watch.  Had to go one way or the other.  It went the other.  The good news is that the Celtics stink so they won't be going far.  They may even be out already.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

both teams played on the same ice so...no sale on that one, Soderberg looked like he was missing Jagr who he seems to have a little chemistry with. i do think they got kind of a bad bounce on the first goal and the third goal though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

both teams played on the same ice so...no sale on that one, Soderberg looked like he was missing Jagr who he seems to have a little chemistry with. i do think they got kind of a bad bounce on the first goal and the third goal though.

No such thing as "kind of" a bad bounce. That's a contradiction statement at it's finest. It's either a bad bounce or not. And you didn't see the Bergeron line struggle with the control of the puck? What game were you watching?

Soderberg-- The guy's 27 yrs old & has played very little on an NA ice surface in his life. You don't think he's going to have some growing pains there? Look at Seguin at the beginning of the season who had a hard time adjusting back to the NA size. And he was only there for what 3-4 mos? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

No sell? It wasn't to pity the Bruins, it was a post just pointing out that the Bruins got the tough bounces. They dominated play. It never felt like Ottawa ever really was carrying the play for any extended stretches, and Lehner was standing on his head.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I love the "Soderberg is missing Jagr" comments.  Jagr and Soderberg have been on the same team for a total of six games.  Of those six games, Jagr has been out for two of them.  As far as I know, they've never been on the same team before.

But, the amazing intelligence here can determine that Soderberg is missing Jagr.

Why do people just make things up on the fly?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

Both teams were victims of the ice.  So that negates it.  What I saw was Ottawa playing their #1 ranked D to pretty darn good perfection.  They clogged the middle, poke checked like crazy, and kept the Bs from making few clean plays in the offensive zone.

With TB, way more ability to move around in their end.  Ottawa played great "Bs hockey of 2+ seasons ago."  

Right, but the point was that one bounce one way and one bounce the other, and the Bruins could have been on top. It's just a matter of perspective. It's not as though the Bruins played poorly or laid down is the point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

Right, but the point was that one bounce one way and one bounce the other, and the Bruins could have been on top. It's just a matter of perspective. It's not as though the Bruins played poorly or laid down is the point.

And it is a great point.  Many of the newer members here seem to think that any loss is due to a shortcoming from the B's, whether it's no heart, no system, no brain, no skills or something else concocted to explain the lack of 10-0 drubbing.

There were good bounces and bad bounces.  They went one way or the other.  In the end, the Senators were able to find the net one more time than the B's. 

No NHL team has ever gone 82-0, but some people here would have you believe the Bruins should.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

And it is a great point.  Many of the newer members here seem to think that any loss is due to a shortcoming from the B's, whether it's no heart, no system, no brain, no skills or something else concocted to explain the lack of 10-0 drubbing.

There were good bounces and bad bounces.  They went one way or the other.  In the end, the Senators were able to find the net one more time than the B's. 

No NHL team has ever gone 82-0, but some people here would have you believe the Bruins should.

The problem is that the Bruins haven't done anything recently to warrant a pass for a loss. If you haven't noticed, the Bruins have put out lackluster performance after lackluster performance in the past one and a half months. 

In that time, they have continually played with a lead, only to have it taken from them in the third period. Last night's game was no different in that regard. There is no excuse for that after they were flawless with the lead going into the third last year.

Even though the Bruins have played better lately, they still have yet to consistently come out of games with a win.

That is why people are jumping all over them when they lose a game like they did in Ottawa.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

edit: double post

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I was just looking at the B's results the last few games.  They could easily have gone 6-1 in their last seven if they would've gotten a few bounces.  They were horrible in the Philly game and had no chance in that one.  I don't really remember the Canes' game (not sure if I even watched it), but after that, they could've won vs the Sabres, Pens, Caps and Sens.  It's not like they're getting their arses whooped every night.  There's a reason they finished with the fourth best +/- in the league.  They're in every game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

In that time, they have continually played with a lead, only to have it taken from them in the third period.

And it's this sort of incorrect information that fuels the fools.

Month of April:

4th vs NJ.  Score going into 3rd period, 1-0.  Final, 1-0. 

8th vs. Car.  Score going into 3rd, 5-0.  Final, 6-2.

10th vs. NJ:  Score going into 3rd, 4-2.  Final, 5-4

21st vs. FLA:  Score going into 3rd, 2-0.  Final, 3-0

25th vs. TB:  Score going into 3rd, 2-0.  Fina, 2-0.

So, tell me more about how they continually give up the lead in the third.  Sure, they've lost leads.  The third period is 33.33% of the game.  That's going to happen.  To suggest that they "continually give up the lead" is so incredibly incorrect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In that time, they have continually played with a lead, only to have it taken from them in the third period.

And it's this sort of incorrect information that fuels the fools.

Month of April:

4th vs NJ.  Score going into 3rd period, 1-0.  Final, 1-0. 

8th vs. Car.  Score going into 3rd, 5-0.  Final, 6-2.

10th vs. NJ:  Score going into 3rd, 4-2.  Final, 5-4

21st vs. FLA:  Score going into 3rd, 2-0.  Final, 3-0

25th vs. TB:  Score going into 3rd, 2-0.  Fina, 2-0.

So, tell me more about how they continually give up the lead in the third.  Sure, they've lost leads.  The third period is 33.33% of the game.  That's going to happen.  To suggest that they "continually give up the lead" is so incredibly incorrect.

NAS, they were perfect last season at maintaining leads going into the third period. This year, the only team in the league worse than them in that category is Colorado. You don't see a problem there?

By the way, their winning percentage leading after 2 periods is only 65.2%. That means they lose more than a third of those games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

By the way, their winning percentage leading after 2 periods is only 65.2%. That means they lose more than a third of those games.

How sadly dramatic.  1.10000000000000000000000001% higher and your "third of those games" is removed.

And with that, with the view of an optimist, they win almost 66% of the games they carry a lead into the third.  To spin it the way you have, one may think you're a Habs/Leafs/NYR/(anyone but Boston) fan.  That's the type of spin they would use.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

How sadly dramatic.  1.10000000000000000000000001% higher and your "third of those games" is removed.

And with that, with the view of an optimist, they win almost 66% of the games they carry a lead into the third.  To spin it the way you have, one may think you're a Habs/Leafs/NYR/(anyone but Boston) fan.  That's the type of spin they would use.

It's called being a realist.

Also in the month of April:

April 17 vs Buf. Score going into 3rd, B's 2-1. Final Buf 3-2.

April 27 vs Was. Score going into 3rd, B's 2-0. Final Wsh 3-2.

I can play that game too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

There's a reason they finished with the fourth best +/- in the league.  They're in every game.

Yes.

Very hard to beat in a 7 game series.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's called being a realist.

Also in the month of April:

April 17 vs Buf. Score going into 3rd, B's 2-1. Final Buf 3-2.

April 27 vs Was. Score going into 3rd, B's 2-0. Final Wsh 3-2.

I can play that game too.

Okay, so I have five examples of them keeping the lead, you have two examples of them losing it.

If they can go 5 for 7 every month, I don't think many would complain...except those who think perfection is possible every year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Okay, so I have five examples of them keeping the lead, you have two examples of them losing it.

If they can go 5 for 7 every month, I don't think many would complain...except those who think perfection is possible every year.

If they go 5 for 7 every month, that is still not good enough. That would place them in the bottom 5 of the league. They should not be with the likes of Edmonton, Dallas, Colorado, and Buffalo in regards to any statistic.

I am not demanding perfection, but I do expect them to play up to their capabilities.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If they go 5 for 7 every month, that is still not good enough. That would place them in the bottom 5 of the league. They should not be with the likes of Edmonton, Dallas, Colorado, and Buffalo in regards to any statistic.

I am not demanding perfection, but I do expect them to play up to their capabilities.

This is as bad as a "powerplay or fail" conversation.  People think that what other teams do has an effect on the B's success.  It doesn't.  If Edmonton held every lead and Pittsburgh blew one out of two, the B's stats would remain the same.  As would their finish, which was one point out of first in the division.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

The fatal flaw in that list above: none of those teams they held on to beat are in the playoffs.  GIve me a list of playoff tams they were able to hold 3rd period leads on from March forward.

Do your own research, fool.

And when you have your list, what will you say?  "See!  In March and April, they were unable to hold a lead in the third period against these seven teams!"

And what will that prove?  Will that give you enough to beat your chest and say "Toda So!" when they lose a third period lead in the playoffs?  Will you be able to sleep at night?

What happened at the beginning of March against Ottawa has no bearing on what's going to happen in the first round of the playofffs in May against Toronto.

But, you know, you're insulated if they lose a third period lead. 

It's like you have your own little COLLAPSE!-proof system.