Yesterdays Game- a bounce game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Yesterdays Game- a bounce game

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Okay, so I have five examples of them keeping the lead, you have two examples of them losing it.

If they can go 5 for 7 every month, I don't think many would complain...except those who think perfection is possible every year.

If they go 5 for 7 every month, that is still not good enough. That would place them in the bottom 5 of the league. They should not be with the likes of Edmonton, Dallas, Colorado, and Buffalo in regards to any statistic.

I am not demanding perfection, but I do expect them to play up to their capabilities.

If they go 5 of 7 for the next two months, they win the Cup.  I think that's the point here.  Comparing winning % when leading in the third doesn't consider that the Bruins have the lead going into the third more than almost any other team.  Only Pitt led going into the third more often.  And there are a lot of near-perfect teams at the top who really enjoyed the draft lottery.  Columbus was perfect.  Phoenix and Carolina were over 93%.

Do they need to be better at holding leads?  Yes, they do.  Is it such a huge deal that you should ignore the role of luck, in this case, bad luck?  Well, you can, but you're going to find watching hockey very frustrating.

The one thing I will say to nite's original point is that there is someimes some correlation between skill and lucky bounces.  You just have to look farther back in the play.  On the Senators' winner, that pass from Karlsson to Methot was 83' hard, flat, and right on the tape.  Methot then made the right play, and made the decision quickly, to put the puck on net.  Shot was low, and hard enough to pinball through.  So that's a superb play by Karlsson, the right follow-up by Methot, and then a luck bounce to Pageau.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

If they go 5 of 7 for the next two months, they win the Cup.  I think that's the point here.  Comparing winning % when leading in the third doesn't consider that the Bruins have the lead going into the third more than almost any other team.  Only Pitt led going into the third more often.  And there are a lot of near-perfect teams at the top who really enjoyed the draft lottery.  Columbus was perfect.  Phoenix and Carolina were over 93%.

Do they need to be better at holding leads?  Yes, they do.  Is it such a huge deal that you should ignore the role of luck, in this case, bad luck?  Well, you can, but you're going to find watching hockey very frustrating.

The one thing I will say to nite's original point is that there is someimes some correlation between skill and lucky bounces.  You just have to look farther back in the play.  On the Senators' winner, that pass from Karlsson to Methot was 83' hard, flat, and right on the tape.  Methot then made the right play, and made the decision quickly, to put the puck on net.  Shot was low, and hard enough to pinball through.  So that's a superb play by Karlsson, the right follow-up by Methot, and then a luck bounce to Pageau.

Couple that with Florida's powerplay and you have...meaningless stats x 2!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

I understand that.  I don'tthink the Bs played poorly; I just felt the Sens were able to hold their ground.  But, at the end of the day, hockey does come down to the bounces.  And in the playoffs we know this is extra-amplified.  So, a team can win by finding ways "create" bounces and "bury" them in the net.  

That's  what made the 2011 team special - 3 out of the 4 series came down to a Game 7; when it's that close, it comes down to making the bounces work for you.

We'll see.....pessimistic or optimstic, we all want the Bs to win.  

Certainly made it special ipot, but I think when people take away the "lady luck" factor, things come all unglued.

In the history of NHL hockey, no ones done that before(I think).  If we choose to see that as some kind of "digging deep" thing...a kind of "refusal to lose"...finding "that other gear"....then we assume it's something they should be able to muster when it really gets important.  Knowing you can't expect good luck, puts it in a better perspective.  Scoring one more goal, in 1 game against Washington last year, wouldn't have made the B's any better, it would have just made them a winner.  That translates to expectation.

It's an incredible fluke the B's won the Cup in 11.  Not because of ability, but because of circumstance...the way things played out.  That's not saying they didn't deserve it either.  They surely did, the winner always does. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[/QUOTE]

No it isn't Book.  It's a really, really good point, but it's not "the" point.  The point is...someone overstates the 3rd period issue.  Someone else calls them on it.  Rather than make a slight adjustment in their opinion, the first poster counters with more.  Then... the "caller" starts overstating to make his point.  Classic example of what happens here all the time.

The "point" of this thread, is the first sentence in your second paragraph.

Yes they do.

End of story.  No need to go too deep.

I think the "real point", is simply overall team defense.  It's slipped.  The 3rd period phenomenom is merely another statistical example.  As that improves, so will the 3rd period.  The other huge factor in this "collapse" thing, is scoring.  It's a 2 way street.  If you're not scoring in the 3rd you get the same problem.  When this team starts to score again, and get a little better defensively, it's easy to see how good they can be.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

This is as bad as a "powerplay or fail" conversation.  People think that what other teams do has an effect on the B's success.  It doesn't.  If Edmonton held every lead and Pittsburgh blew one out of two, the B's stats would remain the same.  As would their finish, which was one point out of first in the division.

I don't recall any  "powerplay or fail" conversations.  I do remember some spirited debate whether there was "no correlation between winning and the PP"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The point is that they have trouble hanging onto leads, which further indicates a team problem. Whether that problem be their lack of offense, breakdowns on defense,  or lack of leadership, I don't know. But all I am implying with this stat is that there is a problem somewhere in the organization that I am afraid will prevent them from making a cup run. 

Also, what role does luck have in the Bruins shortcomings? Last time I checked, all teams suffer from some sort of bad luck on different occasions.

PS it was Chi that was the only team to lead going into the third more often, not Pitt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The point is that they have trouble hanging onto leads, which further indicates a team problem. Whether that problem be their lack of offense, breakdowns on defense,  or lack of leadership, I don't know. But all I am implying with this stat is that there is a problem somewhere in the organization that I am afraid will prevent them from making a cup run. 

Also, what role does luck have in the Bruins shortcomings? Last time I checked, all teams suffer from some sort of bad luck on different occasions.

PS it was Chi that was the only team to lead going into the third more often, not Pitt.

You know what will prevent them from making a Cup run? 

HOCKEY

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

HOCKEY

But isn't that also the thing that will allow them to make a cup run?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

HOCKEY

But isn't that also the thing that will allow them to make a cup run?

Yeah!  Looking for reasons to be worried and drawing crazy conclusions to ruin your enjoyment of the playoffs is nuts!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Yeah!  Looking for reasons to be worried and drawing crazy conclusions to ruin your enjoyment of the playoffs is nuts!

But...But.... What else is there to do?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Have fun!  Start a thread making fun of the Leafs with absurd pics.  Think of an interesting topic that is hockey related.  Research a draft prospect that could fall to the 30th pick and talk about him.  Find cool youtube videos from current player's younger days.

There are tons of things to do.

Making yourself miserable (and the rest of us as well) with worries is no fun!