Your most personal, comical moment at a Bruins game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Re: Your most personal, comical moment at a Bruins game

Great story, Red.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to red75's comment:

December 3, 2005. I was working in Alberta at the time, and because of my travel schedule and work obligations it had been years since I'd been able to see the Bruins live. Bruins were scheduled to play the Oilers and my brother bought us both sweet just up from the glass seats as a birthday present for me. I hadn't been that excited to see a game in a long time.

Then two days before the game, Thornton got traded

Long story short, that lead to me and my brother watching the game with our Bruins jerseys on and paper bags with eyeholes and the spoked B and  "Say it ain't so, Joe" on them over our heads. During a TV break, Brad Boyes caught sight of us and started laughing his head off and tossed us a thumbs up. About two minutes later Boyes tied up the game at three - one goal each before the game ended and then Tanabe scored in OT for a 5-4 Bruins win.

Next to game two against Van, that's my most memorable live B's game.

Went to the first game of the post Thornton era. Sturm scored right off the bat in a 3-0 B's victory against the Sens. In the last 20 seconds the crowd gave the B's a standing ovation.
    Lots of good memories in the old Garden, went to the B;s Red Wings game the 80's where Bourque tied it up with 7 seconds left, and went to  Habs-B's game in i think 1989-90 when the B's were down 2-0 late and won 3-2...Ludwig fell down and I Wesley won it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:

December 3, 2005. I was working in Alberta at the time, and because of my travel schedule and work obligations it had been years since I'd been able to see the Bruins live. Bruins were scheduled to play the Oilers and my brother bought us both sweet just up from the glass seats as a birthday present for me. I hadn't been that excited to see a game in a long time.

Then two days before the game, Thornton got traded

Long story short, that lead to me and my brother watching the game with our Bruins jerseys on and paper bags with eyeholes and the spoked B and  "Say it ain't so, Joe" on them over our heads. During a TV break, Brad Boyes caught sight of us and started laughing his head off and tossed us a thumbs up. About two minutes later Boyes tied up the game at three - one goal each before the game ended and then Tanabe scored in OT for a 5-4 Bruins win.

Next to game two against Van, that's my most memorable live B's game.

That's awesome Red! I was at that game. Oilers went up 3-0 in the 1st. Toivenin was in the net for the B's. After the 1st I went to the concession to grab a few beer & with me wearing my B's jersey some Oiler fan started heckling me saying "were gonna destroy you dude". I said "last time I checked there were 3 periods in a game, but too bad your mom missed a few!" He just starred at me and said "huh" I said. "My point exactly!" There was 2 security guys standing just behind me and they were laughing. One walked up to me & said "F I can't wait to use that someday!" 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

No, that's legit.  I saw the Circus there one year, probably Spring of '85. Not the best place for a circus becayse the ventalation in that place was terrible especially in warmer weather.  By the 2nd period, the cig smoke would make it tough to see across the rink from the balcony level.  lol

I'd heard about the ventilation.  I think I'd even heard it referenced during broadcasts.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Jacobs wouldn't turn on the AC. And the sad part is, he didn't have to because the B's were one and done basically every year in the 1980s with the penny pinching and lack of aggressiveness, as he raided fans pocketbooks.

Absolute truth.

That's why when the Lakers or any other NBA team not used to playing in the Garden that late in the year (Houston in 1986 for example) were shocked how hot it was in there.

Jacobs.

It turned out to be a great advantage for the Celts in that regard, but we find out in May of 1988 vs the Oilers what it meant with the lights going out.  Not really ventilation related, but Jacobs put no money into the renovation of that building at all. He knew he could make his profits with hosting 3 or 4 home games in Rd 1 of the playoffs and go home every year, counting his pennies up in Buffalo.

When he bought the team in 1975, one of the first things he did was shrink the cup size for beer and raise the price of the beer.  He would count the cups used as a way of seeing how much he was making, not the amount of kegs. My dad's cousin worked one of those stands and he told my dad and his friends to keep the cups and just come back with the same one as a way to stick it to ol Jeremy. 

I have other issues with how Jacobs handled the new building and completely disrespected the old building, which is why I really respect the Sox owners a lot. 

But, that place was special. Big time.  I still get chills thinking about how loud it would get in there, not at all shocked if a beam or something would fall to the ice due to the noise.

It smelled like a combo of pisz, hotdogs, peanuts and beer and I loved every minute of it.

You just described Maple Leaf Gardens' mens washroom during the era of their slanted, white porcelin trough.  So Boston Garden did have the ability to ventilate but owner Jacobs refused to activate the system?  Didn't know that.  I'd always heard the Garden could be heated but not cooled.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Jacobs wouldn't turn on the AC. And the sad part is, he didn't have to because the B's were one and done basically every year in the 1980s with the penny pinching and lack of aggressiveness, as he raided fans pocketbooks.

1980:  Second round loss

1981:  One and done

1982:  Second round loss

1983:  Third round loss

1984:  One and done

1985:  One and done

1986:  One and done

1987:  One and done

1988:  Cup finals loss

1989:  Second round loss

(1990:  Cup finals loss)

Now, that doesn't look like the B's were one and done basically every year in the 1980s to me.  Does it look that way to anyone else?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

When he bought the team in 1975, one of the first things he did was shrink the cup size for beer and raise the price of the beer.  He would count the cups used as a way of seeing how much he was making, not the amount of kegs.

So, when he bought the team, he treated it like a business.  He knew the fans would buy the same amount (or more) if there were two ounces less.  He also knew they'd pay a little more.  Smart business.

As for the counting of the cups, that's common.  Often times with soda, the actual soda is suupplied free from the distrubutor while the cups are costly.

When the lights went out at the Superbowl, is that because they guy who owns that building is a cheapskate?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

but dealing Orr and getting really nothing back, only to save money and then to put that business plan into place knowing you make your money in a bloated expansion league where it was EASY to make the playoffs, was a dream come true for crook like ol Jeremy.

This says it all right here.  This shows everyone how much you know. 

You're a total fraud.  Get out of here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

WTF?  Orr was never traded, he left as a free agent. Plus Jacobs offered Orr 18.6 per cent of ownership in the Bruins if he would stay, but Eagleson lied to Orr about that. 18.6 per cent! Yeah, that sure sounds cheap to me.

Dealing Orr?What the hell are you talking about?

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Total spin????? It was proven in a court of law! So was the collusion between Wirtz, Eagleson and Zeigler to keep down salaries tat ultimately lead to Orr going to Chicago. Jacobs had nothing to do with Orr leaving - three con men did.

And seriously? I go to games whenever I can (which admittedly isn't many), and I likely own more Bruins merch than most of this board combined. You have no idea what you're talking about regading Orr's free agency, so instead you turn it around to how much I financially support the franchise?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Walking from Orr, not dealing Orr the year prior. I don't really care if I mispoke above or not. There's always an excuse with you pathetic Jacobs lovers. What is the difference with how he left here? He left and he still played somewhere else!  They GOT NOTHING and Orr played a few more years in Chicago. I could care less what the specifics are as to how he left here.  He ended up in Chicago and for what? He still played.

Orr played 20 games in the first year.

Sat out the second.

Played 6 games the final year.

Not really what I would call playing "a few more years" in Chicago.

You see, here is the problem.  The people here are diehard Bruins fans.  We know this stuff off the top of our heads.  There isn't one regular poster here who would think the B's traded Bobby Orr. 

I'm sure you're a big fan, but you're out of your element when it comes to knowledge.  Maybe you should find a Facebook fan page or a yahoo group.  They're just as passionate as you, but not as hardcore as us here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That was total spin by Jacobs on the way out the door to save face. Totally false. If that is true, why isn't that offer there when he retired? Is Orr part owner now?

Do some research on Alan Eagleson.  Then come back and say you're sorry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phfspec. Show phfspec's posts

Way back in the day went to a Rangers-B's game as a kid. Looie Fontinato was the Ranger's villain and he spent a lot of time in the box this game. A fan was heckling him every time. On about the third trip he went back into the stands after the guy-I'm pretty sure this was the incentive for walling the players off subsequently to prevent future occurrences. The guy scrambles back in front of us, Looie in pursuit and pretty soon other Rangers are jumping the boards there is a huge scrum in front of us  and Boston's finest appear. All gets calmed down and some guy complains to the cops that his wife was injured in the melee of flying bodies. "You shouldn't take your wife to a place like this." the cop replies.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

A look at the old Gahden http://youtu.be/vnb6-knVkuc

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to phfspec's comment:

Way back in the day went to a Rangers-B's game as a kid. Looie Fontinato was the Ranger's villain and he spent a lot of time in the box this game. A fan was heckling him every time. On about the third trip he went back into the stands after the guy-I'm pretty sure this was the incentive for walling the players off subsequently to prevent future occurrences. The guy scrambles back in front of us, Looie in pursuit and pretty soon other Rangers are jumping the boards there is a huge scrum in front of us  and Boston's finest appear. All gets calmed down and some guy complains to the cops that his wife was injured in the melee of flying bodies. "You shouldn't take your wife to a place like this." the cop replies.

That's an interesting story.  I have never heard of Rangers going into the stands in Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

What drives me nuts about you is that you skip responding to posts that effectively call you out. Coward.

Sections
Shortcuts