Zach Hamill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

Zach Hamill

I am confused why the number 8 overall pick in the 2007 draft has not yet made the big club.  I see that he is seemingly making very good progress at least last year and I feel like the bruins have developed him in the minors for long enough.  Keeping a high first round pick in the minors still at age 23 seems like a waste of talent to me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Re: Zach Hamill

Hamill has had more than his chance to show what he can do and is not Bruin material. If they can use him in a trade they would be doing him and the Bruins a favor. Hamill isn't doing much with the ProvB's so a change may bring the fire back to his game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

The Bruins fans on this board have done 0 zilch, nada, to try and make the push for Hamill to the big club. They seem to want to stroke their enourmous ego`s by saying how much he does not belong in the NHL. To all these fans F U!

I`ve seen him in 1 NHL game and they beat Washington.

Hamill 1 game 1 point. Bring the kid up. You don`t sit top 10 pick in the minors.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

In Response to Re: Zach Hamill:
    [QUOTE]Hamill has had more than his chance to show what he can do and is not Bruin material. If they can use him in a trade they would be doing him and the Bruins a favor. Hamill isn't doing much with the ProvB's so a change may bring the fire back to his game.
    Posted by brunod[/QUOTE]

Moron 1 game in the NHL is not a chance

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I find the case of Hamill endlessly fascinating, no matter whether this is a joke or not.

You can't get around how slight he is, but he's one of those players who routinely does crazy things just with vision, anticipation, and soft passes.  The few times he was on in the Jr. Summit Series, it was like watching Frogger - the action whizzed around him and he moved strategically through the gaps. 

I don't think the problem is really his physical limitations as much as his attitude.  I don't think he's had anyone to play with who can think the game or who has great natural skills, so he's a bit checked out in the A, and Whitfield's comments about his commitment still stick.  On the other hand, he didn't look out of place against Washington last year, so I wonder what would happen if he got a 5 game taste?  It's rarer for forwards to show better at the NHL level than the A (defensemen do it all the time because the A is scramblier), but well, I have some sort of blindspot with Hamill that makes me think he could be an exception in the right situation.  I fully acknowledge this is based on limited observations and wishful thinking, but I've seen something there that I'm just dying to see come through.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I find the case of Hamill endlessly fascinating, no matter whether this is a joke or not. You can't get around how slight he is, but he's one of those players who routinely does crazy things just with vision, anticipation, and soft passes.  The few times he was on in the Jr. Summit Series, it was like watching Frogger - the action whizzed around him and he moved strategically through the gaps.  I don't think the problem is really his physical limitations as much as his attitude.  I don't think he's had anyone to play with who can think the game or who has great natural skills, so he's a bit checked out in the A, and Whitfield's comments about his commitment still stick.  On the other hand, he didn't look out of place against Washington last year, so I wonder what would happen if he got a 5 game taste?  It's rarer for forwards to show better at the NHL level than the A (defensemen do it all the time because the A is scramblier), but well, I have some sort of blindspot with Hamill that makes me think he could be an exception in the right situation.  I fully acknowledge this is based on limited observations and wishful thinking, but I've seen something there that I'm just dying to see come through.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Nice frogger analogy.I said the exact same thing about Hamill's skill level last season.For  whatever reason,some players skill-sets don't translate well in the AHL with lesser talent whereas in the NHL,with better players,they are right at home.I too thought he looked good against Washington and,like you,think he should get at least a 5 game tryout before we write him off completely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Every time I comment or read on Hammil I hear "weak draft class" pinging in my ear from previous postings.  Nonetheless the Bs drafted him, why not let him have his chance even for a longer time than 5 games.  If not then time to let him have another chance with teams with a need at center.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Every time I comment or read on Hammil I hear "weak draft class" pinging in my ear from previous postings.  Nonetheless the Bs drafted him, why not let him have his chance even for a longer time than 5 games.  If not then time to let him have another chance with teams with a need at center.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    agree 100%.If the Bruins don't need him  then he should get the chance to play elsewhere.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Zach Hamill  23GP  1G  11A  12Pts -4  this year.   In 2006 this guy was the scoring champion in the WHL  with 32G 61A 93Pts ...in 4 seasons with Providence 170GP  28G 59A 87Pts he had more points in his last junior season than in 4 seasons with the P-Bruins ??????? What's wrong with him ???? It is funny but some players adjust easily to the NHL pace than with the AHL ...maybe the B's should give himm a real chance with the big Club before giving up on him ....who knows ! ! !

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I wouldn't say I'm advocating giving Hamill a 5+ game shot.  It would go against my belief that you have to make these kids earn it, especially when you're creating a pool of talent to compete for the available jobs.  You don't want to give the impression that first round picks will eventually be handed a shot just because they were picked high.  Top that off with the glut of centres and where would he play if he was called up?  I don't see him playing a third line role the way Wheeler can.

I guess that really means I'm wondering what will happen when he goes elsewhere.  It won't be as trade bait, though.  I doubt Chiarelli makes another AHL deal with a former first rounder - he'd rather wait and let Hamill walk, I think.  Be as patient as humanly possible with him, offer him an extension at year's end even - but watch him leave.  Or send him to Finland.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Go to Hockeydb.com and take a look at that draft. It was horrible. If I'd been GM I think I'd have traded all my picks for ones in 2009.

In Response to Zach Hamill:
    [QUOTE]I am confused why the number 8 overall pick in the 2007 draft has not yet made the big club.  I see that he is seemingly making very good progress at least last year and I feel like the bruins have developed him in the minors for long enough.  Keeping a high first round pick in the minors still at age 23 seems like a waste of talent to me.
    Posted by Tuckerw3[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"so I wonder what would happen if he got a 5 game taste?  It's rarer for forwards to show better at the NHL level than the A (defensemen do it all the time because the A is scramblier), but well, I have some sort of blindspot with Hamill that makes me think he could be an exception in the right situation."

I say absolutely give him a 5 game shot! Chiarelli isn't going to resign him after this year so why not if he fails send him back down if does well keep playing him on the wing. If he makes a mistake during games sit him on the end of the bench for 3 or 4 shifts but talk to him to tell Hamill why.

It's a win, win situation before you cut ties then at least PC will know he gave Zack a legitimate shot. This is where Julien fails in his allegiance to pet veteran's. Hamill just might play better with NHL minded scorers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Bookboy and SanDog, I've read various articles that suggest that certain types of players (usually playmakers, of which Hamill is definitely (also Colborne)) have a harder time in the AHL than the NHL for two (and a half) reasons:

1) The AHL game is about grinding, which is usually not the strength of a playmaker

2) The playmaker is unlikely to be surrounded by talent.

2.5) Goaltenders in the AHL tend to be more impactful than other skaters because most elite goaltenders go through the AHL, whereas most elite skaters do not (Miller, Rask, Thomas, Schneider, Quick, Bernier, etc vs. Toews, Kane, Coutoure, etc, etc)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Future 40 goal scorer in the NHL with a Hart Trophy pending.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

NAS is spoofing again. I too thought Hamill played reasonably well in his only game last year. I asked around and the feedback indicated that he is weak on defence. Maybe the big stick is Claude when Hamill is suggested. He is slight, but so is Kreji. Each year he has improved, even Claude said so in pre-season comments, BUT, he has not been brought up by Claude, even when Kreji was hurt, which would have been an ideal time. His talent may not have gone away, but, may be stifled like some other non-Claude players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I have been following these posts about Hammil and keep thinking about the player picked right after him, Logan Couture. Couture has progressed nicely through the Sharks' system. But the difference is that Couture had a stellar season in the A (20 goals in 42 games last season) and had the opportunity to gradually find himself a home in the NHL. Hammil hasn't produced in the American League and he hasn't been given the same opportunity with the big boys ... It's on both him and Chiarelli.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

And maybe because I was just thinking about this guy ... The Pittsburgh Fox Sports affiliate just ran a several minute preview of HBO's "Road to the Winter Classic" with the Pens and Caps. Their spot was about tough players and injuries, and it showed Hammil getting checked by someone from the Caps.

Sections
Shortcuts