Zach McKelvie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Zach McKelvie

Every time I look up salary numbers or need to be reminded of players in the system beyond the usual suspects, I do a spit take when I see Zach McKelvie.  2nd Lieutenant McKelvie put up average numbers over 4 years at West Point and signed with the Bruins as a college FA in '09 for an entry-level package totalling a whopping $2.725M!  For the record, none of the non-Seguin first rounders (Zach Hamill, Joe Colborne, and Jordan Caron) have a bonus package that would get them to even half that total.  McKelvie re-signed this year for just under the max-salary for an entry level deal, but he's no longer eligible for bonuses.

Service obligations mean the guy isn't available.  So my question is: Huh?  Was this guy (6'2" 200) EVER the kind of prospect that would make you commit high-first-round dollars on an entry level deal?  Is he the kind of talent that will come back after three years of service and play high-level hockey?  (I seriously doubt both propositions.) Or is this the Bruins knowing full well they won't have to pay a dime of these deals, but maintaining their rights to the kid so that when he finishes his mandatory service he'll get a shot somewhere in the Bruin organization?

Anyone know more of the story here?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Zach McKelvie

Maybe they want to retain his rights as Chiarelli has him lined up to be head of security at the garden when he's finished his service obligations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

lol Maybe he can bring in some stick up for your brothers and leave no man behind attitude. Something this team seems to be missing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Zach McKelvie:
    [QUOTE]Every time I look up salary numbers or need to be reminded of players in the system beyond the usual suspects, I do a spit take when I see Zach McKelvie.  2nd Lieutenant McKelvie put up average numbers over 4 years at West Point and signed with the Bruins as a college FA in '09 for an entry-level package totalling a whopping $2.725M!  For the record, none of the non-Seguin first rounders (Zach Hamill, Joe Colborne, and Jordan Caron) have a bonus package that would get them to even half that total.  McKelvie re-signed this year for just under the max-salary for an entry level deal, but he's no longer eligible for bonuses. Service obligations mean the guy isn't available.  So my question is: Huh?  Was this guy (6'2" 200) EVER the kind of prospect that would make you commit high-first-round dollars on an entry level deal?  Is he the kind of talent that will come back after three years of service and play high-level hockey?  (I seriously doubt both propositions.) Or is this the Bruins knowing full well they won't have to pay a dime of these deals, but maintaining their rights to the kid so that when he finishes his mandatory service he'll get a shot somewhere in the Bruin organization? Anyone know more of the story here?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    If I remember correctly,he was expected to be available quite a bit sooner.When he signed up for service the military's policy was to make an athlete available immediately upon graduation.They changed it so that you had to serve 2 years before any chance of playing pro.As usual,the U.S.military is screwing everyone on that deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah...but why did Chiarelli re-up him at close to max. rookie salary?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Good question BB. I also have been questioning the cap hit.
    Wasn't there an option once to follow a thread ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Legion - you're right, I think there was a "follow" option.  Wonder what happened to it?

And yeah, that was the biggest question: even if he'd been available the day after he left West Point, why was a college free agent, from a second-tier hockey school, with middling offensive numbers for a defenseman getting a contract in excess of twice what was offered to every first round pick outside of Seguin, and more even than Rask got from Toronto?  It's just weird.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Beats me BB. 
    Here's reading material on the guy and seemed like he was destined for Prov. therefore still does not make sense as of why he show as a  cap hit without even playing a game or being called up to Bruins active roster.
    Could this be some sort of penalty the Bruins are getting ?

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/28/u-s-army-denies-west-point-grad-zach-mckelvies-nhl-dream/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Delta14. Show Delta14's posts

And what are Joe Colbourne, Tyler Sequin & Zach Hamill getting paid now?  McKelvie, if he's in country (Iraq or Afghanistan) is probably getting paid around $2,000 per month + combat pay (was $65 per month in Vietnam) & the chance to get his butt shot.  Since there is no draft any longer, the three of the above can play hockey and collect their salaries - I think McKelvie would trade that opportunity to be just playing hockey with any of the American born players in any collegiate or professional sport rather than maybe being shot at on a consistent basis.  You can walk away from a hockey check, taking a couple of AK47 rounds is something much different. 

Sorry for the rant, but I really get pissed when somebody asks dumb questions regarding the military and apparently was never in uniform nor was never in combat.  Try losing 44 of your friends in one night and see what that does to your psyche!

toys 0311

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Glad you brought this up because I have wondered about this too.  I think he had a pretty outstanding college career (team captain, rated best D-man in the AHA), but as you said, Army is certainly a second-tier NCAA program.  I think the bidding must have been high after college and other teams may have driven up the price of the initial signing (like Matt Gilroy and Tyler Bozak maybe...?). 

Why he was resigned this year at the max entry level salary remains a mystery.  I can only think of two possibilities; 1) that maybe this was truly a PR move where the Bruins wanted to credit his military service the same as if he had been progressing in the system; or 2) it was apparent to the Front Office that other teams were interested in signing him and the Bruins had to pay up to keep him.

Both explanations seem pretty suspect to me...must be something else that we don't know...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

On this article below he was part of a list of players and onlt Whitfield had a cap hit for being on the Bruins active roster for playing.
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=29348&blogger_id=116

and more here confirming he was to play in P`rov.

http://spokedb.blogspot.com/

I give up.  It's a boring afternoon at the office at least this kept me busy.
    Still nothing on re-up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Zach McKelvie:
    [QUOTE]And what are Joe Colbourne, Tyler Sequin & Zach Hamill getting paid now?  McKelvie, if he's in country (Iraq or Afghanistan) is probably getting paid around $2,000 per month + combat pay (was $65 per month in Vietnam) & the chance to get his butt shot.  Since there is no draft any longer, the three of the above can play hockey and collect their salaries - I think McKelvie would trade that opportunity to be just playing hockey with any of the American born players in any collegiate or professional sport rather than maybe being shot at on a consistent basis.  You can walk away from a hockey check, taking a couple of AK47 rounds is something much different.  Sorry for the rant, but I really get pissed when somebody asks dumb questions regarding the military and apparently was never in uniform nor was never in combat.  Try losing 44 of your friends in one night and see what that does to your psyche! toys 0311
    Posted by Delta14[/QUOTE]

With all due respect what was the dumb question and who are you mad at here?  I don't think anyone was implying insensitivity towards the troops...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

[QUOTE]And what are Joe Colbourne, Tyler Sequin & Zach Hamill getting paid now?  McKelvie, if he's in country (Iraq or Afghanistan) is probably getting paid around $2,000 per month + combat pay (was $65 per month in Vietnam) & the chance to get his butt shot.  Since there is no draft any longer, the three of the above can play hockey and collect their salaries - I think McKelvie would trade that opportunity to be just playing hockey with any of the American born players in any collegiate or professional sport rather than maybe being shot at on a consistent basis.  You can walk away from a hockey check, taking a couple of AK47 rounds is something much different.  Sorry for the rant, but I really get pissed when somebody asks dumb questions regarding the military and apparently was never in uniform nor was never in combat.  Try losing 44 of your friends in one night and see what that does to your psyche! toys 0311

Where the hell did this come from?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

No one questioned his contribution to the country.It was simply a question about a hockey contract.I certainly hope he's safe and eventually gets a chance to play in the NHL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nothing but respect here.  My son-in-law was in Iraq several years ago and was does not talk of his experiences and for good reason.  He goes to the Bs games with my daughter.  Rest assured most on here are very supportive of the troops!

I would like to know more of McKelvie.     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Except for the referenced comments, I'm not sure many have followed McKelvie's situation. I'm old enough to remember Joe Bellino's move to the Patriot's after a brief active duty following Annappolis graduation, and recall that The service commitment fluctuated somewhat. It may be that McKelvie did not have sufficient political influence, causing the delayed decision. One Grandson just returned from his tour in Afghanistan [ thank God] and another has had three tours completed in Iraq [ lots of prayers]. Hope McKelvie comes thru his tour OK unlike Pat Tillman. IMO Peter's extended salary commitment could very well be his, and Bruins ownership, willingness to stand behind their original offer. The Cap hit only begins when McKelvie is officially on the roster I Believe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Not a person here doesn't respect the members past and present of either North American military. 

That wasn't the point here. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Delta, since your comments seem to be directed at me, I'll echo what others have already said.  I intend no disrespect to McKelvie, who seems to have handled the situation with grace, and you can hardly criticize the Army's decision when the young man himself is unwilling to complain. Top that off with the fact that he got his education thanks to the Army, and made a commitment as part of the bargain, and even if he was Bobby Orr I'd recognize the need for him to honour that commitment.

I don't even intend any disrespect to the Bruins, because this doesn't seem to be a case of normal, everyday contract lunacy.  McKelvie signed his one-year deal with the huge cap hit at a time when it was all-but-impossible for him to play under its terms.  Even this year, he would have had a chance to stick in Providence, but probably not in Boston.  It's just an odd paper trail attached to a curious story and a player who might have been interesting to follow as he worked up the ladder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Delta, since your comments seem to be directed at me, I'll echo what others have already said.  I intend no disrespect to McKelvie, who seems to have handled the situation with grace, and you can hardly criticize the Army's decision when the young man himself is unwilling to complain. Top that off with the fact that he got his education thanks to the Army, and made a commitment as part of the bargain, and even if he was Bobby Orr I'd recognize the need for him to honour that commitment. I don't even intend any disrespect to the Bruins, because this doesn't seem to be a case of normal, everyday contract lunacy.  McKelvie signed his one-year deal with the huge cap hit at a time when it was all-but-impossible for him to play under its terms.  Even this year, he would have had a chance to stick in Providence, but probably not in Boston.  It's just an odd paper trail attached to a curious story and a player who might have been interesting to follow as he worked up the ladder.

BB,
    I will through a thought out there, with out getting to in depth, so maybe my timing is off.. But I would guess the bruins were perfectly willing to throw the bonus's in knowing Mckelvie would not hit them, no risk on the teams part really, on the other hand, have a contract in place with a high dollar amount may have been an attempt on the bruins part to get him into the system with out fullfilling his military requirement.. From a negotiation stand point "I have a 3 year 3mill dollar contract on the table" shows a lot more faith in the team on a player making an impact then someone with a league minimum contract etc...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

roler - so, make it look more impressive, knowing he'd probably pull down a cool $65K, in order to make it better marketing to those in a position to make a decision on his case?  Or to the public?  I just don't know that he was enough of a prospect to justify the former - seems a little bit like trying to pull one over.  I could, however, see something to that affect in terms of his public appeal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]roler - so, make it look more impressive, knowing he'd probably pull down a cool $65K, in order to make it better marketing to those in a position to make a decision on his case?  Or to the public?  I just don't know that he was enough of a prospect to justify the former - seems a little bit like trying to pull one over.  I could, however, see something to that affect in terms of his public appeal.
    I don't  understand his having to resign this year as you stated.Is that in order to retain his rights?Bonuses aside,it seems like  last years contract was all for show.Maybe if one of us read and understood the entire CBA we could come up with an answer but as it stands I'm as baffled as you with this situation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Rediculous characterization...OMG, Like the militaryleadership really sat and came to the decision to "screw" people by not releasing Lt McKelvie...sorry your service to our nation did not work out, but that is NOT how things are done! Obligations are what they are...time owed for the training and education he received.

[QUOTE]In Response to Zach McKelvie : If I remember correctly,he was expected to be available quite a bit sooner.When he signed up for service the military's policy was to make an athlete available immediately upon graduation.They changed it so that you had to serve 2 years before any chance of playing pro.As usual,the U.S.military is screwing everyone on that deal.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

agreed ...no one promised us tomorrow. AK rounds can go through an engine block...imagine what one could do to flesh and bone...not pretty. thank you for your service to our nation! Doc
    Now , on to your comments. I really do not believe that other than one poster that anyone here has a negative thing to say about the military...I've been on this board for a while and don't comment too much, but these folks including the trolls don't make it a topic of conversation...I don't know what brought your comments up. Combat is tough on everyone...go talk with someone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Amen, Tom.

Fact is, the military does come up on this board from time to time, but not so much as a topic of conversation.  Generally, someone mentions their own service or the service of a family member - Bogie, watchtower, yourself.  There are others I'm missing as usual - (nitemare?).  I've never seen these mentions met with anything other than respect.  I hope we can take NAS's point for granted - no one on here has a negative word to say about either NA Armed Forces.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Zach McKelvie : If I remember correctly,he was expected to be available quite a bit sooner.When he signed up for service the military's policy was to make an athlete available immediately upon graduation.They changed it so that you had to serve 2 years before any chance of playing pro.As usual,the U.S.military is screwing everyone on that deal.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

The US Military screws everyone?  Pack your stuff, Dez, and move to Haiti or Somalia.  They don't have anyone defending their rights.

We do, and it's all volunteers.

Sections
Shortcuts