Zach McKelvie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Zach McKelvie

BB,
    I am thinking the contract was put together like i said to show the military that he has the potential to break with an NHL, which would hold more wieght then a gauranteed trip to the AHL.. Why allow him to pass his service for that, or for a long shot? 

I don't know of another hockey player, who has been in this situation so its tough to say, but giving him those bonuses really has little affect on the cap, (really only 850k of the bonuses is acheivable by a top tier rookie etc)..

Just speculation, but if PC thought he had a chance to contribute why not make it look like you really want him if it wont cost you anything..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Zach McKelvie:
    [QUOTE]BB, I am thinking the contract was put together like i said to show the military that he has the potential to break with an NHL, which would hold more wieght then a gauranteed trip to the AHL.. Why allow him to pass his service for that, or for a long shot?  I don't know of another hockey player, who has been in this situation so its tough to say, but giving him those bonuses really has little affect on the cap, (really only 850k of the bonuses is acheivable by a top tier rookie etc).. Just speculation, but if PC thought he had a chance to contribute why not make it look like you really want him if it wont cost you anything..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Seems reasonable. 
    I'm enjoying (enjoyed) this thread.  It has to be the most interesting in the past 3 days. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

This post got off topic a little but I enjoyed reading it thoroughly.  We can bang heads all year about the minutiae of this team, even though most of us love this team.  When it comes to the military, no argunments are necesary.  Shoot I have never agreed with NAS more then the two posts I read in this thread.

Dezaruchi, in hindsight I bet you probably don't stand by the final sentence of your original post "As usual,the U.S.military is screwing everyone on that deal." If I'm right I bet it would conclude the show of solidarity if you reworked or rescinded your statement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The only guy I can think of to come out of the Army Academy and play in the NHL is Danny Hinote.  Does anyone know if he served after graduating?  I think he went straight to the NHL.  Any other guys play from Army?

I have been reading dezaruchi on this board for a while and have always found him to be well-reasoned and respectful.  I doubt he intended for his comment to be interpreted the way it has been here.  I think he was just sympathizing with the player.  Let's give the guy a chance to respond before we assume he is anti-military.

With that said, as I approach another holiday season spent with my family I can never be grateful enough to all of those that serve and have served.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]The only guy I can think of to come out of the Army Academy and play in the NHL is Danny Hinote.  Does anyone know if he served after graduating?  I think he went straight to the NHL.  Any other guys play from Army? I have been reading dezaruchi on this board for a while and have always found him to be well-reasoned and respectful.  I doubt he intended for his comment to be interpreted the way it has been here.  I think he was just sympathizing with the player.  Let's give the guy a chance to respond before we assume he is anti-military. With that said, as I approach another holiday season spent with my family I can never be grateful enough to all of those that serve and have served.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I agree Fletch, I honestly don't believe Dez meant it to come off the way it reads.  If you read the clip below I think you can get as sense for some of the tension this rule caused.  I think Dez was referring to this and I assume his statement as currently worded just overshot the target.

Also on McKelvie I don't know about NHL players.  I do know that the Lions drafted an Army kid named Caleb Campbell under the assumption the rules were changing, and they did but then they were rescinded.  Some complained, but not much. 

Here's an interesting clip from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Campbell

Military future

Due to a newly implemented rule at the U.S. Military Academy that would change the way cadets are selected in the NFL Draft, Campbell was able to pursue a professional football career.

The rule states:

Cadets accepted into the program, "will owe two years of active service in the Army, during which time they will be allowed to play their sport in the player-development systems of their respective organizations and be assigned to recruiting stations. If they remain in professional sports following those two years, they will be provided the option of buying out the remaining three years of their active-duty commitment in exchange for six years of reserve time."[3]

Campbell is the first Army player to be selected in the NFL Draft since Quarterback Ronnie McAda was the final pick in the 1997 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers.

The rule, known as the "Alternative Service Option", or ASO, has since been suspended after undergoing review by the Department of the Army. All players not under contract had to return to their active-duty station. Since Campbell and Mike Viti of the Buffalo Bills were under contract, they were tentatively authorized to play with their respective teams with the provision that if cut, they would have to return to their active duty station and not be able to sign with another team.[4] The Army dropped the ASO option on July 8, meaning that both players will have to serve two years of their active duty commitment before they can petition for early release. Campbell, however, was not informed until July 22, after reporting to the Lions training camp. He chose Air Defense Artillery (ADA) as his duty branch, but will serve on the coaching staff at the Army Prep School.[5]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zach McKelvie : The US Military screws everyone?  Pack your stuff, Dez, and move to Haiti or Somalia.  They don't have anyone defending their rights. We do, and it's all volunteers.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    So I'm alone in thinking the US military  has been the worlds biggest bully since 911? I have no issue with the soldiers .It's with  the decision makers(peace or else).This isn't a political forum so it's my fault for straying but  don't tell me the US military is protecting me as a Canadian.I have friends that have been killed  in Afghanistan  fighting a war they shouldn't be in.I've spoken to a number of other soldiers as I do a lot of work on the Gagetown army base.The most common sentiment is that nobody knows what they are still there fighting for other than to protect druglords.Politics aside I was speaking more specifically about changing policy for an athlete after the fact.Zach likely would've joined the military regardless but the fact remains ,he may have chosen not to had he known about the 2 year delay.I sincerely meant to ruffle no feathers,particularly of any servicemen.I applaud your effort and what you stand for.It's the decision makers,who are sending good people into terrible situations,that I have trouble with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I took it the way you state it at the end of the paragraph dez.  In that, the rest of us have a responsibility to those who serve to elect leaders and decision-makers who understand what the use of force costs.

From the little I've read on McKelvie, he credits his time in the Army for making him both the man and the athlete that he is.  I doubt he'd change anything, disappointed or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zach McKelvie : I agree Fletch, I honestly don't believe Dez meant it to come off the way it reads.  If you read the clip below I think you can get as sense for some of the tension this rule caused.  I think Dez was referring to this and I assume his statement as currently worded just overshot the target. Also on McKelvie I don't know about NHL players.  I do know that the Lions drafted an Army kid named Caleb Campbell under the assumption the rules were changing, and they did but then they were rescinded.  Some complained, but not much.  Here's an interesting clip from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Campbell Military future Due to a newly implemented rule at the U.S. Military Academy that would change the way cadets are selected in the NFL Draft , Campbell was able to pursue a professional football career. The rule states: Cadets accepted into the program, "will owe two years of active service in the Army , during which time they will be allowed to play their sport in the player-development systems of their respective organizations and be assigned to recruiting stations. If they remain in professional sports following those two years, they will be provided the option of buying out the remaining three years of their active-duty commitment in exchange for six years of reserve time." [ 3 ] Campbell is the first Army player to be selected in the NFL Draft since Quarterback Ronnie McAda was the final pick in the 1997 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers . The rule, known as the "Alternative Service Option", or ASO, has since been suspended after undergoing review by the Department of the Army. All players not under contract had to return to their active-duty station. Since Campbell and Mike Viti of the Buffalo Bills were under contract, they were tentatively authorized to play with their respective teams with the provision that if cut, they would have to return to their active duty station and not be able to sign with another team. [ 4 ] The Army dropped the ASO option on July 8, meaning that both players will have to serve two years of their active duty commitment before they can petition for early release. Campbell, however, was not informed until July 22, after reporting to the Lions training camp. He chose Air Defense Artillery (ADA) as his duty branch, but will serve on the coaching staff at the Army Prep School. [ 5 ]
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]
    In no way do I feel anything but respect for our soldiers.They do a job I couldn't imagine doing.My issue is with the policy makers that are putting good people in harms way for what,I don't think,are the right reasons.I have friends,family and co-workers that are serving or completed service so I'm basing my opinions on what they've told me so I'll say it again.I respect the soldiers but not the war.This will be the last political statement I make since my original statement regarded a hockey contract and not politics anyway.Sorry to have offended anyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Dez Dez Dez ,  come on man !  Leave this issue of military and politics off this board. Let's not debate this.  I know you didn't start this and it's another poster that took the issue out of contect from what BB intended.
    Let's stick to hockey related issue.
    Keep the good posts coming Dez.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dez Dez Dez ,  come on man !  Leave this issue of military and politics off this board. Let's not debate this.  I know you didn't start this and it's another poster that took the issue out of contect from what BB intended. Let's stick to hockey related issue. Keep the good posts coming Dez.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    I absolutely agree.I want no part of this but said something stupid that needed explanation.A foreign policy debate is the last thing I come here for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zach McKelvie : So I'm alone in thinking the US military  has been the worlds biggest bully since 911? I have no issue with the soldiers .It's with  the decision makers(peace or else).This isn't a political forum so it's my fault for straying but  don't tell me the US military is protecting me as a Canadian.I have friends that have been killed  in Afghanistan  fighting a war they shouldn't be in.I've spoken to a number of other soldiers as I do a lot of work on the Gagetown army base.The most common sentiment is that nobody knows what they are still there fighting for other than to protect druglords.Politics aside I was speaking more specifically about changing policy for an athlete after the fact.Zach likely would've joined the military regardless but the fact remains ,he may have chosen not to had he known about the 2 year delay.I sincerely meant to ruffle no feathers,particularly of any servicemen.I applaud your effort and what you stand for.It's the decision makers,who are sending good people into terrible situations,that I have trouble with.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez I could bore you sensless with the US military for the past two hundred some years.  I taught US history for years (Advanced Placement in hs). "Bully" is only one perspective since 911.  Here are some overlaying perspectives: Europe would debate the issue of what to do in a world crises for years before doing anything (I have relatives in Sweden).  China is a bully economically in Asia.  There are so many more.  

I come here to go past all that to escape and enjoy one topic, the Boston Bruins.  You are one of many of the informative posters here.  Cheers. Go Bruins.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

LOL guys,  so can someone ask Chiarelli what's up with the cap hit ?

I think roler and fletch guessed right

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zach McKelvie : So I'm alone in thinking the US military  has been the worlds biggest bully since 911? I have no issue with the soldiers .It's with  the decision makers(peace or else).This isn't a political forum so it's my fault for straying but  don't tell me the US military is protecting me as a Canadian.I have friends that have been killed  in Afghanistan  fighting a war they shouldn't be in.I've spoken to a number of other soldiers as I do a lot of work on the Gagetown army base.The most common sentiment is that nobody knows what they are still there fighting for other than to protect druglords.Politics aside I was speaking more specifically about changing policy for an athlete after the fact.Zach likely would've joined the military regardless but the fact remains ,he may have chosen not to had he known about the 2 year delay.I sincerely meant to ruffle no feathers,particularly of any servicemen.I applaud your effort and what you stand for.It's the decision makers,who are sending good people into terrible situations,that I have trouble with.

It's terrible that anyone has to fight and die in war.  God bless every person involved in fighting the bad guys.  Know why Canadian soldiers are there?  They are helping the USA.  It's a decent idea because if something were to be brough to Canadian soil, you know dang well the full force of the United States military would be across that border before dawn.

Canada and the USA are like step-brothers.  Same household, same values, slightly different upon closer inspection.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE] Canada and the USA are like step-brothers.  Same household, same values, slightly different upon closer inspection.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Very nicely put NAS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Let's go back to the original thread...Who the he!! is Zach McKelvie ?....Of coarse I had to google him....and by the sounds of it...the closet ice ole Zach will see, will be at the bottom of a glass at the service club....good luck to him and I hope he comes back, save and sound and  ready for some Bruin hockey !!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Let's go back to the original thread...Who the he!! is Zach McKelvie ?....Of coarse I had to google him....and by the sounds of it...the closet ice ole Zach will see, will be at the bottom of a glass at the service club....good luck to him and I hope he comes back, save and sound and  ready for some Bruin hockey !!!!
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]
    It's a shame that his dream of playing in the NHL is pushed so  far down on his list of importance.That said,it'd be hard to think of a more noble profession.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Lots of passion...now, let us all just mutually agree to channel it  to the Bruins!
    We all serve so everyone can have and share their free opinion!
    NAS I totally agree about US and Canada being step-brothers! :-) Peace and love to each of you this Christmas Season

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Lots of passion...now, let us all just mutually agree to channel it  to the Bruins! We all serve so everyone can have and share their free opinion! NAS I totally agree about US and Canada being step-brothers! :-) Peace and love to each of you this Christmas Season
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]
    Sometimes I need to take the time to read what I've written before clicking the reply button.I certainly meant no dissrespect to you or any soldier.Peace to you Sir.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

DEE ,
    If you think I haven't done that before...OMG! We are good...pls don't worry about it...Have a blessed Holiday.We are all here for the same reason.  :-)
    Doc

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zach McKelvie : Sometimes I need to take the time to read what I've written before clicking the reply button.I certainly meant no dissrespect to you or any soldier.Peace to you Sir.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

How about someone asking Fluto to check this out with PC in the next mailbag/chat?
    Me??...I'm too lazy.
    Get home safely Lt. McKelvie.
    This is one of the more interesting threads.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Delta14. Show Delta14's posts

I may as well finish what I started.  The only reason that I was upset at BB comments are that the Bruins decided to pay McKelvie the contract on their own - I doubt very much that McKelvie had a whole lot of leverage.  Maybe the Bs knew that McKelvie would have 2 to 4 years active duty and they could save the cap hit for later?  Don't know and don't pretend to. 

When this first started, I had just learned that 3 Delta brothers/friends had passed away - one to bone cancer (Agent Orange related), one to Ischemic Heart Disease (Agent Orange related) and one to lung cancer (Agent Orange related).  I have Diabetes type 2 and peripheral neuropathy (both arms & legs) - Agent Orange related.  All of these guys had at least one purple heart, all of the guys were spit on and called baby killers when we returned from Vietnam. Doc, I know really well what happens when you take some AK47 rounds - only took me a year and a half of intensive physical therapy to learn how to walk again - I still have a 9 pins in the left thigh and a 14 inch scar from being hit. 

BB - I will man up and apologize for blowing up on you about the contract - I probably misread the intention.  I do know that none of the posters on this board (unlike a specific poster on another Bs board) is anti-military - sorry for the ranting and raving but if I come back on it will only be about hockey & the Bruins. 

Dez - I actually agree with you on some points - its not the ones that do the fighting that pay for the mistakes - its the ones that don't do the fighting and make the mistakes that the other ones pay for.

Again, sorry for everything that I caused.  If I'm not welcome back I do understand -

toys 0311

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]I may as well finish what I started.  The only reason that I was upset at BB comments are that the Bruins decided to pay McKelvie the contract on their own - I doubt very much that McKelvie had a whole lot of leverage.  Maybe the Bs knew that McKelvie would have 2 to 4 years active duty and they could save the cap hit for later?  Don't know and don't pretend to.  When this first started, I had just learned that 3 Delta brothers/friends had passed away - one to bone cancer (Agent Orange related), one to Ischemic Heart Disease (Agent Orange related) and one to lung cancer (Agent Orange related).  I have Diabetes type 2 and peripheral neuropathy (both arms & legs) - Agent Orange related.  All of these guys had at least one purple heart, all of the guys were spit on and called baby killers when we returned from Vietnam. Doc, I know really well what happens when you take some AK47 rounds - only took me a year and a half of intensive physical therapy to learn how to walk again - I still have a 9 pins in the left thigh and a 14 inch scar from being hit.  BB - I will man up and apologize for blowing up on you about the contract - I probably misread the intention.  I do know that none of the posters on this board (unlike a specific poster on another Bs board) is anti-military - sorry for the ranting and raving but if I come back on it will only be about hockey & the Bruins.  Dez - I actually agree with you on some points - its not the ones that do the fighting that pay for the mistakes - its the ones that don't do the fighting and make the mistakes that the other ones pay for. Again, sorry for everything that I caused.  If I'm not welcome back I do understand - toys 0311
    Posted by Delta14[/QUOTE]

You are always welcomed here to offer your opinions imo.  Go Marines!  Go Bruins!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I may as well finish what I started.  The only reason that I was upset at BB comments are that the Bruins decided to pay McKelvie the contract on their own - I doubt very much that McKelvie had a whole lot of leverage.  Maybe the Bs knew that McKelvie would have 2 to 4 years active duty and they could save the cap hit for later?  Don't know and don't pretend to.  When this first started, I had just learned that 3 Delta brothers/friends had passed away - one to bone cancer (Agent Orange related), one to Ischemic Heart Disease (Agent Orange related) and one to lung cancer (Agent Orange related).  I have Diabetes type 2 and peripheral neuropathy (both arms & legs) - Agent Orange related.  All of these guys had at least one purple heart, all of the guys were spit on and called baby killers when we returned from Vietnam. Doc, I know really well what happens when you take some AK47 rounds - only took me a year and a half of intensive physical therapy to learn how to walk again - I still have a 9 pins in the left thigh and a 14 inch scar from being hit.  BB - I will man up and apologize for blowing up on you about the contract - I probably misread the intention.  I do know that none of the posters on this board (unlike a specific poster on another Bs board) is anti-military - sorry for the ranting and raving but if I come back on it will only be about hockey & the Bruins.  Dez - I actually agree with you on some points - its not the ones that do the fighting that pay for the mistakes - its the ones that don't do the fighting and make the mistakes that the other ones pay for. Again, sorry for everything that I caused.  If I'm not welcome back I do understand - toys 0311
    I certainly hold no grudge towards you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I agree...we are good! Semper Fidelis brother!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Delta - much appreciated.  I definitely did not intend any criticism of Lt. McKelvie or the military, and so I'm glad we're square.  More importantly, my sincerest sympathies for your losses, both personal and among your brothers.  You're always welcome.  Heck, you're welcome to blow up at me.  We'll work it out.