Zdeno Chara credit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Zdeno Chara credit

After watching Zedeno Chara for the past 5 1/2 seasons how did Ottawa choose Wade Redden over Chara?

The guy is an absolute beast to play against. The bruins are a totally different team when he is on the ice as was witnessed last night while the Bruins were short handed with Chara in the box for his major. The one guy the Bruins can absolutely ill afford to lose.

Yeah he has some shortcomings offensively like handling the puck like a grenade on the PP at times. But in the defensive zone nothing comes easy for the opposition & he is a joy to watch. I really have to question Brian Murrays decision-making process in Ottawa. What an atrocious mistake on Murray's part that was & it is no surprise Ottawa began their decline once Chara left.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Zdeno Chara credit

I agree. It's hard to fathom there were 2 organizations that failed to recognize his importance to the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chara is solid, so much so that the limitations of Boychuck are really prevalent when Chara is in the penalty box. Other teams also take more runs at Ference when Chara is not available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Zdeno Chara credit:
    [QUOTE]I agree. It's hard to fathom there were 2 organizations that failed to recognize his importance to the team.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Oh if only Ottawa could do it over.  He really was more of a work in progress with NY and a throw in the Yashin deal.   Oh if the Islanders could do that one over. 
    Chara in my eyes.  Might be the most important player to any team in the league.  If someone can name someone more valuable I would love to hear the name.   Possibly Price in Montreal. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Sunny disposition attitude at times, stands up to controversy, incredible work ethic, keeps the body clean, hates Montreal's and Buffalo's punks, has a blaster slap shot that he can unload at anytime, If his coach asks him to go down low on the PP he does it, does more than enough community service in his homeland and Boston plus he is more confident in game 7s now so he has become a money player!...

I could go on but it smells too good in the kitchen must investigate...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zdeno Chara credit : Oh if only Ottawa could do it over.  He really was more of a work in progress with NY and a throw in the Yashin deal.   Oh if the Islanders could do that one over.  Chara in my eyes.  Might be the most important player to any team in the league.  If someone can name someone more valuable I would love to hear the name.   Possibly Price in Montreal. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Yeah Shupe, Chara is so good he gets taken for granted and, as a result, gets very lttle MVP consideration. I'm with you on this. He's the very definition of what the award is given for. I still remember what Boston looked like when Hnidy replaced Chara in round 1 last year. Even a Cup win couldn't erase those memories.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddd112273. Show ddd112273's posts

I could not agree more. Chara is the epitome of a Bruin. I have to say that for the first couple of seasons though I did question his ability to be captain. Glad i was proven wrong and not just by a little. #33 will have his number raised to the Garden's rafters when he retires. LET'S GO BRUIN'S!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

The man is a rock. A beast. Irreplaceable. He is like having two players in one (one stacked on the other's shoulders, haha). The eight foot giant with the wingspan of a 747. I put it like this:

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, 1:00 to play, Bruins up 2-1...is there anyone else you'd rather see on the ice more than Big # 33?

Nope.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carltetus. Show carltetus's posts

He really played poor hockey in the playoffs that year. That's why the Sens chose Redden over Chara. Bad move for them and good move for the Bruins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]He really played poor hockey in the playoffs that year. That's why the Sens chose Redden over Chara. Bad move for them and good move for the Bruins.
    Posted by carltetus[/QUOTE]
    Chara led the Sens D in hits during that playoffs while getting a goal and 3 assists in 10 games. I think the Sens choosing Redden had more to do with Redden having 10 points in 9 games than it did with Chara playing poorly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

Chara was voted "Toughest Defenceman to Play Against" in a poll of NHL players last season.  'Nuff said.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

The reason the Ducks won the cup that yr was simple.  they threw the puck in behind the oppositon blue line when little wade redden was on the ice and then skated hard in and pounded him to a pulp.  The sens had no answer.  An easy cup win for the Ducks....if Chara would've been there they may have had a slimmer of a chance.  Did you see the fire in his eyes last nite when he was trying to get his hands free to lay a beating on Reghr??  he is one lucky man Z didn't get his hands free....very scary man indeed...thank the heavens he is on our team. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zdeno Chara credit : Yeah Shupe, Chara is so good he gets taken for granted and, as a result, gets very lttle MVP consideration. I'm with you on this. He's the very definition of what the award is given for. I still remember what Boston looked like when Hnidy replaced Chara in round 1 last year. Even a Cup win couldn't erase those memories.

Have said the same for years Dez...Right now playing the best hockey of his career.. He has the respect of everyone in the NHL.. Don't know if you watched last night closely when he was getting ready to fight Regher..It looked liked he was mouthing the words " Do you really want to do this "  Stand up guy... Glad he is our Captain..Hall of Famer... You bet...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zdeno Chara credit : Have said the same for years Dez...Right now playing the best hockey of his career.. He has the respect of everyone in the NHL.. Don't know if you watched last night closely when he was getting ready to fight Regher..It looked liked he was mouthing the words " Do you really want to do this "  Stand up guy... Glad he is our Captain..Hall of Famer... You bet...
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]
    Cowboy, he did something similar to Lecavalier when he was still with Ottawa. He basically made sure he had a willing combatant before laying the beat down. For all of the garbage strewn around about Chara being dirty, I think he plays the game as honest as anyone in the league. It seems he makes a real effort to not hurt people with his size. He and Bergeron have the respect of just about every one of the league's players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zdeno Chara credit : Oh if only Ottawa could do it over.  He really was more of a work in progress with NY and a throw in the Yashin deal.   Oh if the Islanders could do that one over.  Chara in my eyes.  Might be the most important player to any team in the league.  If someone can name someone more valuable I would love to hear the name.   Possibly Price in Montreal. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Another genius move by Milbury if I'm not mistaken

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zdeno Chara credit : Another genius move by Milbury if I'm not mistaken
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]
    Yep! Spezza and Chara for a prima donna named Yashin. That deal set the NYI back decades. Chara is still a stud and Spezza is just reaching his prime while Yashin hasn't played in the league for 5 years. Even when he did play, he was never able to reach a point per game in NY.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

[QUOTE]Chara was voted "Toughest Defenceman to Play Against" in a poll of NHL players last season.  'Nuff said.
    Posted by saxydogg77[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure Kessel agrees. Ditto Sedins.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zdeno Chara credit : Yep! Spezza and Chara for a prima donna named Yashin. That deal set the NYI back decades. Chara is still a stud and Spezza is just reaching his prime while Yashin hasn't played in the league for 5 years. Even when he did play, he was never able to reach a point per game in NY.

Yashin made out alright though, he still is getting paid by the Islanders believe it or not and he has Carol Alt :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Zdeno Chara credit : Yashin made out alright though, he still is getting paid by the Islanders believe it or not and he has Carol Alt :)
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]
    I hear you Cowboy but most players would've been happier with a Stanley Cup and Rosie O'Donnell if given the choice......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I've heard it said several times since Chara left the Sens that organization has never recovered.  It must be an especially hard boot to the behind knowing their club brass eventually lost Redden anyway after choosing to keep him over Chara.  We know he could be a lot more mean and dangerous a player if he wanted. 

I still have a clear memory of him as a Sen rag-dolling 6-2, 217 lb. Bryan McCabe, a Leaf at the time several year ago.  Last night I thought he could have jack-hammered Regher when he had him down but chose not to.  I've heard some callers on sports radio up here who still perceive him to be a goon.  A Norris Trophy winning, a Norris finalist, the league's top shutdown defender and defensive kingpin of a Stanley Cup winning club a "goon."  I'll take it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I think Chara will still be  playing  hockey at the age of 40+ and he will be a Nicklas Lidstrom 40 year old. I love having the monster Chara on my team and I wouldn't trade him for anybody.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Plain and simple Chara is the man. I can't remember which sportswriter said one of the said - I don't care who they give the Norris trophy to, Chara is the best defenseman in the NHL period.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Zdeno Chara credit:
    [QUOTE]After watching Zedeno Chara for the past 5 1/2 seasons how did Ottawa choose Wade Redden over Chara? The guy is an absolute beast to play against. The bruins are a totally different team when he is on the ice as was witnessed last night while the Bruins were short handed with Chara in the box for his major. The one guy the Bruins can absolutely ill afford to lose. Yeah he has some shortcomings offensively like handling the puck like a grenade on the PP at times. But in the defensive zone nothing comes easy for the opposition & he is a joy to watch. I really have to question Brian Murrays decision-making process in Ottawa. What an atrocious mistake on Murray's part that was & it is no surprise Ottawa began their decline once Chara left.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]
    I could be wrong but i think it was John Muckler that made the decision to keep Redden and not Big Z. Either way, big big mistake. Changed the fortunes of the Senators and the B's in far different ways.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]You want me to go out on a limb here?   Chara is the most impactful NHL player in the league. Period.  He's not Sid or Ovie, but no other player in the league can affect a game like Chara.   Kind of like Bill Russell in the NBA. Didn't put up all the stye points and break records, but his mere presence and balanced talents made the C's champs. You name 1 superstar forward who looks forward to seeing Z on the ice.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

I'd have to say a goaltender has more of an impact on a game. Particularly a red hot one. He can impact a game as well as a series. Not discounting Charas' impact by any means. As far as a skater, I'd say Sid has more impact than anyone who is not a hot goalie.

Sections
Shortcuts