"C's fans can BLAME Kobe for the Shaq trade"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Re: "C's fans can BLAME Kobe for the Shaq trade"

The Celtics arn't in great shape?

Rose colored glasses baby.

Shaq joined to equal Kobe?

I hope so. Then he will be motivated by more than his financial and endorsement contracts outside of the NBA.

Shaq was not a good fit for the Suns or Cleveland. He was too slow for the Suns game, and he clogged the middle for Lebron on offense. Boston's equal opportunity offense does not depend on one man driving to the basket in a half court set, and our fast break is usually one or two guys.

Plus, in Cleveland's games against LA, both Bynum and Gasol looked like they were afraid of Shaq.

With KG improving from his injury, as evidenced by his playoff turnaround, and the new depth at center, the Celtics have improved from the team that almost won game seven without our starting center.

I like our chances.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Sorry, I watched the games, not you-tube. ...those rose colored glasses again.

Moments are moments, and games are games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Just read some post-game notes about the Cavs-Lakers game on 12/25/09

lakers had 5 T's in the game
    LO was ejected
    Phil on  refs "it wasn't a very well officiated game."
    Phil on Shaq, "He was definitely a presence.  He knocked koME down about 4 times, with no call."

Couldn't be the Cavs were just better on that day, could it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

There were only two games last year genius. In both games, Gasol and Bynum let Shaq be Shaq on multiple occasions. They just backed away.

Plus, as mentioned above, do you think that Kome will drive on Shaq if both teams reach the finals?

I see a lot of jump shots, or a lot of hard fouls in his future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

In Response to Re: "C's fans can BLAME Kobe for the Shaq trade":
    [QUOTE]There were only two games last year genius. In both games, Gasol and Bynum let Shaq be Shaq on multiple occasions. They just backed away. Plus, as mentioned above, do you think that Kome will drive on Shaq if both teams reach the finals? I see a lot of jump shots, or a lot of hard fouls in his future.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

Ahhh so Shaq was Shaq. You mean he didn't get back on defense, missed his free throws and threw a tantrum when he didn't get the ball.

Ok, I'm with it. Guess Gasol and Bynum must have been terrified lmao.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]There were only two games last year genius. In both games, Gasol and Bynum let Shaq be Shaq on multiple occasions. They just backed away. Plus, as mentioned above, do you think that Kome will drive on Shaq if both teams reach the finals? I see a lot of jump shots, or a lot of hard fouls in his future.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

I think Kobe will dunk on his fat butt every chance he gets. If you think fear is a part of Kobe's game, you haven't been paying very close attention. 

Shaq is going to get a steady diet of pick and roll until he proves he can stop it. In fact anything his 38 year old body gives you on the offensive end is going to be negated by what he gives up with his atrocious 38 year old pick and roll defense. He has weaknesses that are now so easily exploited, that he can no longer do the things he does well, good enough to offset those weaknesses. 

This is why no one wanted to give him a gig with any more than a bit part, and a minimum salary. If you expect people to play into Shaq's strengths, and they do, you will get a lot out of Shaq. But I wouldn't hold your breathe on that in a seven game series against the Lakers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "C's fans can BLAME Kobe for the Shaq trade" : I think Kobe will dunk on his fat butt every chance he gets. If you think fear is a part of Kobe's game, you haven't been paying very close attention.  Shaq is going to get a steady diet of pick and roll until he proves he can stop it. In fact anything his 38 year old body gives you on the offensive end is going to be negated by what he gives up with his atrocious 38 year old pick and roll defense. He has weaknesses that are now so easily exploited, that he can no longer do the things he does well, good enough to offset those weaknesses.  This is why no one wanted to give him a gig with any more than a bit part, and a minimum salary. If you expect people to play into Shaq's strengths, and they do, you will get a lot out of Shaq. But I wouldn't hold your breathe on that in a seven game series against the Lakers. 
    Posted by Give-in-to-it[/QUOTE]

Problem is Give is that if anyone knows Shaq's weaknesses it's Phil Jackson and the Lakers.

As for Kobe being afraid to drive against Shaq in the lane, I added that comment to the 'I'm insane' column. For me Shaq is one of those old heavyweight boxers who dosen't know when to retire and is punch drunk. He'll have his moments against lesser teams but when he comes up the better teams, the Celtics will rue they got him. Then again we do have Perk getting healthy.....ugh! Can't believe I typed that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "C's fans can BLAME Kobe for the Shaq trade" : Problem is Give is that if anyone knows Shaq's weaknesses it's Phil Jackson and the Lakers. As for Kobe being afraid to drive against Shaq in the lane, I added that comment to the 'I'm insane' column. For me Shaq is one of those old heavyweight boxers who dosen't know when to retire and is punch drunk. He'll have his moments against lesser teams but when he comes up the better teams, the Celtics will rue they got him. Then again we do have Perk getting healthy.....ugh! Can't believe I typed that.
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]

No one believes you are a Celtics fan......give it up koMEismrnba

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "C's fans can BLAME Kobe for the Shaq trade" : Okaaaay, whatever you say. Kobe's reputation amongst his peers in this matter speaks for itself. I'm not interested in trying to convince a an angry contrarian looking for an insignificant argument, so I wont.

His "peers" don't post on here so why don't you simply exit thru the same door you came entered.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Laker fans, you may be right about the pick and roll offense, but it certainly did not help against the Cavaliers last year. As I recall the Cavs won both games.

Last year, KG went to dunk on Shaq in the play-offs, and Shaq slammed him to the floor like a rag doll. It is amazing what superior size strength and attitude can do.

The Celtics play team help defense, and it is common for KG to show on many pick and rolls, and to help out when possible. It may happen more often with Shaq in the line up. Solving the pick and roll issue is a priority for Doc, and so it will be minimized as much as possible.

Kome does not drive on certain people very often. KG is one of them, and my guess is that Shaq will be another this year. With the depth that we have at center, six hard fouls are as good as anything.

By the way, I see that Bynum will miss the pre-season, ...too bad. He may play tentatively during the regular season as a result. Maybe he will be ready for the play-offs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Bynum is out until the regular season, so far.........wonder how that affects the "Theo Ratliff will never play" theory being floated around this board?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GREEN-KILLER1000. Show GREEN-KILLER1000's posts

[QUOTE]When the Celtics get Banner 18 in June of 2011 then the Laker fans can blame Kobe for the Shaq signing. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    I would love to believe you but you have been writing the same cr@p for the last two seaons and have been dead wrong and all I get from you are corny lame excusing conspiracy theories and don't want to admit that the great GREEN KILLER was right when he started calling the Lakers a DYNASTY BEFORE THEY EVEN WON IN 09. AIN'T I SMART BOSTON
    BACK TO BACK WITH OUT SHAQ!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SWEET THREE PEAT LOADING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DYNASTY!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

If he was so smart, how come he can't spell, and has been banned over 100 times.  Intelligence means the ability to learn.......he's learned nothing!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GREEN-KILLER1000. Show GREEN-KILLER1000's posts

999 NOT 100.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]999 NOT 100.
    Posted by GREEN-KILLER1000[/QUOTE]

Stop stalking me, son!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]Bynum is out until the regular season, so far.........wonder how that affects the "Theo Ratliff will never play" theory being floated around this board?
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

I would imagine all the reserves will be playing big minutes in the pre-season, including Ratliff. I would also imagine the Lakers would limit Bynum's exposure the first few weeks of the season just so they can make sure everything is everything. 

When the rubber hits the road, and the games matter, Ratliff, Ebanks, Caracter, Vajacic, and Walton (if he isn't injured already) will not be seeing much more than garbage time. I would think they will use Ratliff some during the season to take up some minutes if their is foul trouble, but if I was to make a bet, he will not see more than 10-12 minutes per during the regular season, and not be much of a factor at all in the playoffs. Of course all of that is a moot point if their is a major injury to a front line player, which tends to change the fortunes of almost every team. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Chances are good that, at some point, Odom and/or Gasol will miss time as well.  Should have kept Powell, he was much better than Ratliff.  If he plays more than 10 mins per game, your team is in trouble.  Not that I care a whit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

I am surprised that the Lakers did not go after Daimper. Olawakandi was better that Ratliff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CK57. Show CK57's posts

Heh, I get such a kick over the way some of you Celtic fans think you know better than Mitch and Phil how to put together the Lakers roster.
    How can you possibly forget that since 2000 the Lakers have been to the Finals 7 times while your Celtics have only been there twice since 1987? 

Now just so we are clear, Ratliff isn't here to replace Powell, he is here to replace Mbenga, which IMHO is an improvement. Powell's spot on the roster is being taken by Matt Barnes, another improvement. And since we're on the subject, Mitch allowed Farmar to take his attitude to NJ and replaced him with Steve Blake, another improvement.

Regarding Bynum, his surgery was successful, he will be with the team every step of the way throughout training camp getting his rehab and conditioning in, and will be traveling with the team on road trips. Also, according to Phil during his press conference this morning, Drew should be ready to go around the third or fourth game of the regular season.

How's Perk coming along?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Time for our weekly dose of bile from CK57.
    1.  Bynum put off the surgery so he could "vacation" and go to the World Cup - great team player. 
    2.  Perkins had a much more serious injury, and should be back by Feb.  Thanks for asking.
    3. No one thinks they can put a team together better than Mr. Kupchak (on a first name basis with him, are you?).  And HE is the only one that puts the team together.  Phil has NO say, and just coaches..............nice try though!

4.  Powell was a "4", Barnes is a "3".  Barnes is taking Walton's job, since he is hurt.  The immortal Derrick Caracter is taking Powell's spot.  But, far be it from me, a lowly Celtics fan, to know more about your team than you do!

5.  Ratliff is subbing for both Powell and Mbenga - a serious downgrade.

Other than than, I agree with you 100%!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Ha ha...

Daimpier is a stiff, but he is less of a stiff than Powell or stiff as a board Ratliff.

Faith is a religious issue, however, there are some LA fans that have confused the issue. Bowing and praying to saint Mitch and saint Phil are not the way to start the season. Show some back bone son. We had the Ratliff experience before the big three, and I can tell you that even saints make mistakes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]Chances are good that, at some point, Odom and/or Gasol will miss time as well.  Should have kept Powell, he was much better than Ratliff.  If he plays more than 10 mins per game, your team is in trouble.  Not that I care a whit.

That is the same story with every single team in the NBA. If front line players go injured for long stretches, the team will suffer. You can say that about the Celtics too. What if Paul Pierce misses 35 games? If Ratliff plays 10 minutes a game, the Lakers will be contending to win the championship. 

Ratliff is an upgrade over Mbenga, and they won back to back championships with him as the third center. So all this talk about this being an issue on this forum is just wishful thinking, and it will prove to be wrong as the season plays out. All this talk about crises arising from the end of the bench is just silly. 

Powell can be replaced by picking up a guy off the street, he is just a low-level scrub. Caracter will move in and take what little minutes Powell used to play, and there will be no loss in the quality of the team's play. There is a even a chance for this to be an improvement.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "C's fans can BLAME Kobe for the Shaq trade" : That is the same story with every single team in the NBA. If front line players go injured for long stretches, the team will suffer. You can say that about the Celtics too. What if Paul Pierce misses 35 games? If Ratliff plays 10 minutes a game, the Lakers will be contending to win the championship.  Ratliff is an upgrade over Mbenga, and they won back to back championships with him as the third center. So all this talk about this being an issue on this forum is just wishful thinking, and it will prove to be wrong as the season plays out. All this talk about crises arising from the end of the bench is just silly.  Powell can be replaced by picking up a guy off the street, he is just a low-level scrub. Caracter will move in and take what little minutes Powell used to play, and there will be no loss in the quality of the team's play. There is a even a chance for this to be an improvement.

I almost admire your stubborness. So, Ratliff over Mbenga is an upgrade, but Shaq AND JON over Perk and Sheed makes us worse???????????

Caracter may not make the team!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "C's fans can BLAME Kobe for the Shaq trade" : I almost admire your stubborness. So, Ratliff over Mbenga is an upgrade, but Shaq AND JON over Perk and Sheed makes us worse??????????? Caracter may not make the team!

It isn't about stubbornness. The Lakers made changes to the very end of their bench. Mbenga and Powell did not even make it in the games when the playoff rotation was set. This is about context, and that comparison is out of context.

Sheed was a valuable piece in the playoffs, and so was Perkins. The roles of the players you lost were very different than those of Mbenga and Powell. Mbenga did nothing good, at all, and neither did Josh Powell. Ratliff plays defense and blocks shots, at least he does something well. Caracter is someone that might be able to be developed into something worthwhile, but Josh Powell wasn't ever going to be anything but a bottom feeder in the NBA. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]Heh, I get such a kick over the way some of you Celtic fans think you know better than Mitch and Phil how to put together the Lakers roster. How can you possibly forget that since 2000 the Lakers have been to the Finals 7 times while your Celtics have only been there twice since 1987?  Now just so we are clear, Ratliff isn't here to replace Powell, he is here to replace Mbenga, which IMHO is an improvement. Powell's spot on the roster is being taken by Matt Barnes, another improvement. And since we're on the subject, Mitch allowed Farmar to take his attitude to NJ and replaced him with Steve Blake, another improvement. Regarding Bynum, his surgery was successful, he will be with the team every step of the way throughout training camp getting his rehab and conditioning in, and will be traveling with the team on road trips. Also, according to Phil during his press conference this morning, Drew should be ready to go around the third or fourth game of the regular season. How's Perk coming along?
    Posted by CK57[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts