"Melo is Pierce four to eight years ago

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

"Melo is Pierce four to eight years ago

Pierce had a nice iso game, a stepback jumper, a desire to dominate the basketball, athletic talent, length, and not too much desire to play defense all the time even though he could play lockdown defense when he wanted to.  Pierce was also a very ungraceful leader learning how to be The Man on a team where he was expected to carry them without much of a supporting cast.

Under the right coach and under the right circumstances, I think 'Melo could also come around like Pierce did. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Re: "Melo is Pierce four to eight years ago

No he's not.  Melo never won a playoff series, even with all the talent he had in Denver.  Pierce was able to take a bunch of scrubs to the eastern conference finals. Pierce is a winner. Period.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Interesting observation!
    Actually, in spots I have seen some pretty good defense from Melo too (e.g. Against LeBron).  
    But there is one major difference between Melo and the Pierce of 4-8 years ago.
    Pierce, even with his greats stats, was never seen as a star in the league or a NBA poster boy. Melo is one of the biggest glamour guys in the league and wanted to join the Knicks not to win a ring but to be in the spotlight and in a big market.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

In Response to "Melo is Pierce four to eight years ago:
    Pierce had a nice iso game, a stepback jumper, a desire to dominate the basketball, athletic talent, length, and not too much desire to play defense all the time even though he could play lockdown defense when he wanted to.  Pierce was also a very ungraceful leader learning how to be The Man on a team where he was expected to carry them without much of a supporting cast. Under the right coach and under the right circumstances, I think 'Melo could also come around like Pierce did. 
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Not even close. A much better comparison would be  Allen Iverson. A really good scorer with big holes in his game. More importantly, a guy who is only good on a bad team. If Anthony is your best player, you aren't winning anything. He doesn't do anything well- other than scoring.

Not to mention, Pierce stuck it out and showed loyalty. Carmello quit on the Nuggets. His teammates, the organization and the fans the first chance he got.

Pierce is a winner, a champion and one of the most underrated players of all time- even by some of his own fans.

Carmello Anthony is a gangbanging little punk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Melo is a better oerall scocer than what Pierce was at that stage in his career.

Melos defense is flat out terrible. We only use to see him twice a year the past couple years so I thought Melos defense wasn't that bad. Seeing it over the course of a playoff series he needs to sit down and reevaluate his defensive game.

He throws elbows and hurls his body into other players and thinks thats defense. They need a defenseive minded coach. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Well, Iverson lifted his team to the finals and they even won game one in the finals against the superior lakers of this year (LA lost only 1 PG game, as far as I know). Iversons team was worse than anything Melo had in denver.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Melo had some nice scoring games against the C's but I dont think he ever shot the ball well % wise.  My opinion of him has shrunk from when he was with the Nuggets.

HE seems like the guy who goes 1on1 no matter what the situation or team concept may be. HEs also a cheap shot artist on defense.. sneaking in elbows, shoves and everything else. Would sound scary if he played good defense, ala D Howard, who has the same cheap shot artistry.... but Melo is weak on that end of the court.

He never stepped up late in the games.. he tried with a wild , deep 3 pointer in game 1's final seconds  while Douglas was standing behind the 3 line WIDE OPEN.... and had just buried a bigtime 3 replacing an injured Billups.

He talked alot of hero stuff too... like he needs his team to contribute, he cant do it all alone  (sounds like an AH to me)... he also said he makes his teammates better... lots of talk but wheres the beef?

He shrinked in game 3... on the big apple stage with all the hoopla and the Celts prob nervous cause we sneaked out of Boston with 2 wins and wondered... how can we barely beat this Knick team in Boston & expect to do the same in NY...

Pierce is a stone cold assassin... he takes the big shots and makes lots of them. Hes carried his team for many years and when the Big 3 were formed... he was the finals MVP..

FOr Melo, hes not in PPs league imo... as an all star he is, but on the big stage, Melo can carry Pierces jock

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Melo went to the West finals w/ Denver...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

In Response to Re: "Melo is Pierce four to eight years ago:
    Melo went to the West finals w/ Denver...
    Posted by rameakap

Which proves my point. His team can't even make it to the Finals. And even if they had, so what? They don't give out trophies for second place.

Carmello is a great scorer but not a particularly good basketball player. People seem to confuse the two.

Not to trash Iverson, because I do have respect for parts of his game and who he is as a person. He has more heart in his pinky than Carmello has in his entire body. But like Carmello, he is a selfish player. You can't fix that. AI still is, even at 40.

Paul Pierce was never selfish. He just had to carry some bad teams. Big difference.

And as far as Iverson getting to the Finals. The Sixers didn't even have to face a real playoff team until they played Milwaukee in the Conference finals. And it's not like the Bucks were world beaters either. And again, he never won a thing. Even when he had a chance to hook on with a contender and win a title as a backup, he chose to sign with teams like Detroit and Memphis- cellar dwellers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Anthony is a pretty good player.  That Knicks team needs to get bench before they do anything, and a developmental PG prospect to back up Billups would be a good thing.  As much as I hate the Knicks, they have two pretty good building blocks in Anthony (assuming he re-signs) and Stoudemire.  In a few years and after a few drafts and FA signings, that team could be right there. 

Here's hoping they hire Isiah Thomas again first!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

On another thread someone pointed out Melos postgame discussion... talking like he really accomplished something, getting swept??? 

You can tell this guy has a huge ego coupled with delusions.... and I can tell you one thing, hes not about to take blame for very much. He shot 36% for the series and other than game 2, never tried to put the team on his back..  He failed in all the finals minutes of the close games as well..

and in yesterdays 4th qtr comeback, who led the Knicks?? Not Melo but a little guard named Anthony Carter.

Melo needs to be the sidekick on any championship team.. I just dont see him being the leader or the go-to guy.... and I think his teammates are probably sick of him too.. already

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

First who really cares about Melo.  He is a selfish pampered player who is nothing like Pierce. Pierce  dropped to tenth in the draft and came here only to almost get killed by multiple stab wounds.  He recovered and showed what a player he was and spent the next several years on one of the worst teams in the NBA.  

He is a player who has endured through much in his basketball career.  He has matured into one of the best on court minds in the NBA.  Now surrounded by three other like minded basketball talents he is on the verge of adding to his thick resume.  

Listen to Melo speak and then listen Pierce there are many IQ points separating them. Many.  Melo has physical talent but his brain will alway limit him. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

Are yall kidding me?  'Melo is arguably one of the top 5 players in the league. 

"Melo never won a playoff series, even with all the talent he had in Denver."

'Melo led the Nuggets to the Western Conference finals, and had a shot at defeating the Lakers to get to the finals.

"Which proves my point. His team can't even make it to the Finals. And even if they had, so what? They don't give out trophies for second place."

Since when did that make him a bad player?  I can name a slew of players who never made it to the finals, are these bad players:  Dominique Wilkins, Chris Mullin, Webber, Nash and I'm sure I can think of more if I tried.

Let's not forget, 'Melo is still really young.  There is a reason teams want to build around him.  Do you think Ainge wouldn't sign him if he had the chance? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

I'm not saying that you have to win a championship to be considered a good player. That would be foolish. Kevin Durant hasn't won anything yet. And in my opinion he is the best player in the league. My favorite non Celtic. If the Celtics don't win the title I would love to see Seattle take it. Steve Nash has never won anything. It would be stupid to blame him for that.

But Carmello not winning supports my theory that he is the kind of player, that if he is leading your team, you aren't winnning anything. AI is another good example. So is Lebron with the Cavs. I don't care what anybody says. That Cavs team had enough talent to win a title. Replace LeBron with Jordan in his prime. Or even Kobe Bryantor Paul Pierce to name a few. I guarantee you they win at least one title.

Lebron can lower his head/shoulder and bowl his way to the basket for a layup/free throw with the best of them. And he is a decent help defender. But as a one on one defender he is mediocre at best. That's about it. He is one of the most overrated athletes on the planet. He doesn't shoot particularly well- but that doesn't stop him from throwing up jump shots early in the shot clock. He's not a leader. I know it's an old cliche, but he doesn't make the players around him better. And he doesn't rise to the occasion late in games. Quite the opposite. Most of the time he wets his pants. He doesn't have "it." He doesn't have the intangibles the great ones have.  If Lebron James is your best player, you aren't winning. Luckily for the Heat, they have Wade. I don't think will be enough considering all the other issues that team has. But he's the only one I fear/respect on that team.

All I'm saying is that there is a difference between being a scorer and being a good player. You can be both. But being one doesn't make you both. I could go to any NYC playground and find you some amazing scorers. Even some that could do it at the NBA level. But they aren't in the NBA. Because they don't belong there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I didn't say he wasn't talented.  I said Melo was not very bright.  I stand by it.  You can be a great player and be dumb but it helps to have some brains.  Pierce is a good example.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Just to let you know your favorite player doesnt play for seattleLaughing. As for durant being the  best player in the league? He might not even be the best player on his own team. 

Anyway, as far as the melo and pierce comparison, I think its applicalbe.  They are the same type of build  strong, wide 3s who can shoot,post, drive. PP used to also be a ball hog even if yall dont want to admit. PP used to hate doc when he first got here cuz doc wanted to turn him into a playmaker,  and paul wasnt having that. PP would be the first to admit that.   Young players are about me and establishing themselves in the league, older players tend to be more team oriented. It happened for pp it may happen for melo too. He did after all lead  syracuse to a title.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: "Melo is Pierce four to eight years ago : Which proves my point. His team can't even make it to the Finals. And even if they had, so what? They don't give out trophies for second place. Carmello is a great scorer but not a particularly good basketball player. People seem to confuse the two. Not to trash Iverson, because I do have respect for parts of his game and who he is as a person. He has more heart in his pinky than Carmello has in his entire body. But like Carmello, he is a selfish player. You can't fix that. AI still is, even at 40. Paul Pierce was never selfish. He just had to carry some bad teams. Big difference. And as far as Iverson getting to the Finals. The Sixers didn't even have to face a real playoff team until they played Milwaukee in the Conference finals. And it's not like the Bucks were world beaters either. And again, he never won a thing. Even when he had a chance to hook on with a contender and win a title as a backup, he chose to sign with teams like Detroit and Memphis- cellar dwellers.
    Posted by df2

Carmelo did just as good w/ Billups/Nene as Pierce did w/ 'Toine/Kenny is my point. The LA team that beat them was far superior to the Nets team that beat us.

But I also said that while 'Melo was an equal to slightly better scorer to Pierce at the same age... Pierce did EVERYTHING else slightly better , so in the end... PAUL IS THE BETTER PLAYER

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I remember that we played Denver in the 2009 Conference Finals and that Anthony was there. So he equalled Pierce in having a team make it to the Conference Finals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

It wasn't good that he left Denver. But at least he allowed Denver to receive some players via a trade. Unlike what Lebron did in Cleveland.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

Just to let you know your favorite player doesnt play for seattle . Posted by gman101019

As far as I'm concerned he does. Some s cumbag billionaire stole that team from the city of Seattle while an even bigger s cumbag (David Stern) looked the other way.

That team doesn't belong to the the people of Oklahoma City any more than my stereo would if some punk stole it out of my car. That team was stolen from the people of Seattle.

As far as I'm concerned, they will always be the Sonics.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to "Melo is Pierce four to eight years ago:
    Pierce had a nice iso game, a stepback jumper, a desire to dominate the basketball, athletic talent, length, and not too much desire to play defense all the time even though he could play lockdown defense when he wanted to.  Pierce was also a very ungraceful leader learning how to be The Man on a team where he was expected to carry them without much of a supporting cast. Under the right coach and under the right circumstances, I think 'Melo could also come around like Pierce did. 
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

No way!!!!   Amazing how when a player plays with a loser, he's blamed for being all kinds of things like "not too much desire to play defense".  Pierce played hard all the time but simply didn't have a coaching staff and supporting cast other than Toine.   I do agree that Melo with a coach like Doc and a defensive scheme (and a teammate like Garnett who can implement the defense) could be a much better player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Well, putting a better coach and a player like KG with Melo would make him a better player = understatement.  Thats a no brainer

I think the issues with Melo are attitude, delusional & narcissism.  When a players ego is elevated above the team... its hard to win & build chemistry. We cant speculate about what-ifs...  We have to evaluate what is...

TO me Melo has fallen in stature.  I have less respect for him as a player than I did prior to this series. HE desnt take responsibility, he blames others in a sneaky, look-away-pass sort of way. He believes he plays great no matter what. Rarely does he criticize himself, if ever....

...and when its all said and done, he looks back at the series and dismissively ponders who let his team down and whats needed to build a better supporting cast around himself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

i think the comparison between them stylistically holds water... similar skill sets in terms of creating their own shots, fg%, getting to the line, mid range jumper... pierce is a better three point shooter and carmelo is better with his back to the basket.
    the comparisons end there. pierce is and has been a much better team player than carmelo. i know that pierce gets cast as the petulent star sometimes but he never treated boston fans with disdain. remember when the celtics were tanking in order to get a good lottery seat, doc had to sit pierce because he knew that pierce did not know how to not try.
    you can't measure heart, but one telling stat about pierce is that his assists were elevated when he was playing on a poor team (peaking at 5.1 in '03-'04) while 'melo has never averaged more than 3.8.
    melo gets more grief than he deserves (even though he deserves a lot) for leaving school after only one year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Paul Pierce is a Hall of Fame Player and a champion. I disagree that Pierce's D has gotten that much better in the last few years. I do remember Paul playing some excellent D early in his career, we just didn't have enough pieces then. The Truth will go down as an underrated player, solid as a rock and always gives 110%! I don't think the Knicks team has good chemistry. Carmello should be paired with a few super good defensive players not with Amare and Dantoni. Saw the C's play the Hornets in N.O. awhile back and Pierce had an incredible game. Slapped hands with him in the tunnel when he was walking back to the locker room, thought it was pretty cool! The C's need to increase the intensity for the next series. I hope there's not too much rust in game one!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

How they play the game offensively and how they carry their teams is similar, but Pierce has waaaaay more heart - Killer instinct

Anthony smiles and laughs too much...

I'm not going to say he is soft, but he doesn't get angry.  Howard had the same issues but has progressed well.  Maybe all those T's are from his ability to play tougher and angrier, but Anthony just plays less intense - That just might be his style.   

Sections
Shortcuts