+ Shaq = Most star studded Celtics team EVER?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

Re: + Shaq = Most star studded Celtics team EVER?

If Shaq gets signed, this has to be the roster with the most all star appearances all time.  Probably up there even without Shaq. 

All this talk about the Heat; but I don't see teams looking forward to facing a Rondo/Allen/Pierce/Garnett/Shaq lineup.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: + Shaq = Most star studded Celtics team EVER?:
    If Shaq gets signed, this has to be the roster with the most all star appearances all time.  Probably up there even without Shaq.  All this talk about the Heat; but I don't see teams looking forward to facing a Rondo/Allen/Pierce/Garnett/Shaq lineup.
    Posted by greenpride32

You damn skippy, boss!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

For now you can still add sheed to the mix Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

This would be the most star-studded NBA team never to compete in the Olympics!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

1963 Celtics:

Hall of Famers-
    Bob Cousy
    John Havlicek
    Tommy Heinsohn
    KC Jones
    Sam Jones
    Clyde Lovelette
    Frank Ramsey
    Bill Russell

as well as

Satch Sanders
    Jim Loscutoff

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

1963 Celtics: Hall of Famers- Bob Cousy John Havlicek Tommy Heinsohn KC Jones Sam Jones Clyde Lovelette Frank Ramsey Bill Russell as well as Satch Sanders Jim Loscutoff
    Posted by KyleCleric2

BTW, if we're making comparisons:

Bob Cousy - Rajon Rondo
    Sam Jones - Ray Allen
    John Havlicek - Paul Pierce
    Tom Heinsohn - KG
    Bill Russell - Jermaine O'Neal

KC Jones - Nate Robinson
    Satch Sanders - Glen Davis
    Frank Ramsey - Marquis Daniels
    Clyde Lovelette - Shaq
    Jim Loscutoff - Kendrick Perkins

Jack Foley, Gene Gaurilia, and Dan Swartz - Von Wafer, Avery Bradley, Luke Harangody, and Semih Erdan

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

1963 Celtics: Hall of Famers- Bob Cousy John Havlicek Tommy Heinsohn KC Jones Sam Jones Clyde Lovelette Frank Ramsey Bill Russell as well as Satch Sanders Jim Loscutoff
    Posted by KyleCleric2

The difference in eras is crazy. The tallest players on that team were 6-9. With power forwards between 6-5 and 6-7.

The heaviest guy was 234 lbs. While Bill Russell weighed around 215lbs. Von Wafer weighs 210!!

K.G. is no heavyweight, but he's probably 240lbs + !!!

A lot of those guys would not make the Hall-of Fame against todays muscle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I'll take the 1986 Celtics against this current Celtics team. I'd also bet that the 1987 Lakers would beat them with ease as well over a 7 game series. 

Current side doesn't have anyone with the ability of Bird or Ervin Johnson. 

The current Celtics team is a fine side but I think most of the top tier teams of the 80's and Jordans early 90's Bulls side would beat them.

And I don't even want to put Russell into the equation. He would be the most dominant player in any era. The man had and has more smarts than any other player who's played the game. Big statement, but the man knew how to win, how to get the best out of himself and most importantly the people around him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

It doesn't really matter. Russell was the ultimate winner.

But realistically, a 215 lbs center against a 315 lbs Shaq.

Let's be real!!!! Russell wouldn't back down, but he'd injure himself trying to compete against those odds.

Of course, he'd know that and do it anyway!!!

That's why he's a legend!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

It's the most stars but the fact that the stars in question are not in their prime does change it. Remember the 1986 Celts still had all these guys in their prime. The 86 Celts had a healthy Bill Walton coming off the bench! The 2010 Celts will have...Big Baby. C'mon now! Put down the pipe - either that or pass the green stuff. 

Be careful of falling into that Lakers trap (Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton). Two of those guys were past their prime and so the "star studded" nature of it didn't matter. Give me a TEAM that plays together. Remember old teams always have more health problems. 

Having said all that, I'm certainly in favor of the Shaq signing. I think it would really add another chip on the shoulder of that team - "let's show those young guys a thing or two." It's a good motivational pull for the group. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It doesn't really matter. Russell was the ultimate winner.   But realistically, a 215 lbs center against a 315 lbs Shaq. Let's be real!!!! Russell wouldn't back down, but he'd injure himself trying to compete against those odds. Of course, he'd know that and do it anyway!!! That's why he's a legend!
    Posted by DaCeltics
    Shaq probably weighs closer to 350 than he does to 315...If (and if is a big word in this case) the Celtics can get Shaq to sign a deal it would be quite an accomplishment and it would put them over the top talent wise. Without Shaq this team is close to the top team in the east but with him as their b/u Center they would extremely deep.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Can someone explain to me why Shaq would want to join the Celtics?  Am I the only one that thinks it is unusual for a former Laker to even consider playing for the Celtics. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

In Response to Re: + Shaq = Most star studded Celtics team EVER? : The difference in eras is crazy. The tallest players on that team were 6-9. With power forwards between 6-5 and 6-7. The heaviest guy was 234 lbs. While Bill Russell weighed around 215lbs. Von Wafer weighs 210!! K.G. is no heavyweight, but he's probably 240lbs + !!! A lot of those guys would not make the Hall-of Fame against todays muscle.
    Posted by DaCeltics

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Shaq has never been 'usual'.  I don't think the Lakers/Celtics rivalry factors towards his decision.  He sees a team that is close to a championship and thinks he could help push them over the edge. 

7 years ago this team would've been deadly.  This year?  Probably still dangerous, but I question the lack of young talented players.  I'm still not sure if Shaq will help or hurt the Celtics.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I have to respectfully disagree...........first off, Russ came into the league listed at 6-9/215....I remember him being listed at 6-10/220-230.....he held his own against Wilt at over 7-1/250-275......if he played today he would have the same weight training and nutritional programs today's athlete has....he would probably bulk up to 245 or more....that would be 30+ lbs of muscle.....still the great leaping ablility and huge wingspan....remember, those teams had the greatest basketball talent playing in an 8-10 team league....fundamentals were better and they came out of college with 4 years of experience....and don't forget Big Bill also competed against the likes of Nate Thurmond, Walt Bellamy, Zelmo Beatty, Willis Reed, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld and Wayne Embry (only 6-7 but a mass of a man)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

I'm gonna back Duke on this one.  Think about Mourning...Zo would always bother Shaq despite being undersized.  That is, before his injuries set in.

I think that guys like Russell would excel in today's game because of their mentality.  They would do whatever it takes to be effective. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

There is at least some history of star Lakers centers finishing their careers in Boston. Hall of Fame center Clyde Lovellette for example. Another Celtics star who spent a few years of his career in LA before coming to Boston is Don Nelson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It's funny when DaCeltics talks about these era's, he needs to be 20 years older  to even remember the '69 team, let alone the ones Ramsey played on... Shaq as Tommy???

I don't pretend to know much past the 80's teams I can remember, despite having read a lot of books from the 60's era, but the current Celtics team is not more star studded than the '86 team, that team still has the best starting 5 ever, Bird was the best player in the game then, this Celts teams lacks anyone in the top 12-15, and Walton was a HOF on the bench in '86

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Our power forward KG is 7'1" tall and 250 pounds. He does not want to be known as a seven footer.

Today's game is allowed to be much more of a wrestling match than the 1960s.

Today, mass is much more important factor than in the 1960s. The same is true  in reverse. Mass was not of as much use back then because of he way the game was called. Watch old film. Monsterball is the game played today in the half court.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Can someone explain to me why Shaq would want to join the Celtics?  Am I the only one that thinks it is unusual for a former Laker to even consider playing for the Celtics. 
    Posted by susan250

because he won them three titles, earned MVP awards all over the place, was their best player, and Kobe got him run out of town, Shaq did tons for that team and they crapped all over him because Kobe wanted to be "The Man" more than he wanted to win 3 more titles with Shaq, and go down in history as having been to Shaq, what Scottie Pippen was to Jordan.  They called him old then, washed up, past his prime, and he went to Miami and won another title with Wade, this drove Kobe nuts.  So, deep down inside - you know Shaq wants payback.  The Lakers betrayed Shaq in a big way, plain and simple.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

this Celts teams lacks anyone in the top 12-15, and Walton was a HOF on the bench in '86
    Posted by rameakap

True but I don't think this team requires a player like that. I think their best player is Rondo who is exceptionally talented.

But they're a team, and because they're a team I don't think they need an out and out superstar like a Larry Bird to carry them though the season. Although the 1986 team was really had 3 stars who were in the prime of their careers.

This current team is so bood because it is a team before anything else. Hopefully for their sakes Shaq will be a team guy and won't disrupt the team so much.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsAZ. Show CeltsAZ's posts

Interesting post, but anyone who compares this team to the 63 or 86 team is fooling themselves.  At this point, most of our talent (save for Rondo) are past their prime and Shaq is no exception.  I do understand why we signed him, and there were really no better options at this point, however I am concerned at how he jells with teh team, and if he ends up clogging the middle.  His defense has never been great, but his athleticism allowed him to at least block shots.  Unfortunately, he is now bigger (slower) and less athletic at this point in his career.

To the point of Russell playing today: to just assume he would be the same size and weight today as he was 40+ years ago is unrealistic.  He would train like todays athletes, so his size would change, his position might change but his basketball IQ would not.  He would still be a hell of a player today.

Sections
Shortcuts