1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!

Rondo is "different" because we treat him "differently." He has not been held acountable to develop a well rounded game... so his game keeps getting more and more skewed... like the juvenile delinquent who keeps getting more and more out of line because he is not held accountable.

Want him to learn to shoot FTs? No problem.  Designate him to shoot technicals. Hold his feet to the fire.

If he does poorly, if the team suffers.... stay with it. March him out there and make him learn while the entire sports world if necessary watches him grapple with his fears. BOOT CAMP!

Stop demeaning him by treating him like he is some mentally retarded athlete incapable of mastering basic skills. He can learn ... if only he is required to.

Pud

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?!:
    [QUOTE]Rondo is such a dichotomy...........he is great in so many facets of the game......rebounding, steals (although he gambles too much when inside the lane letting his man beat him to try the behind the back swipe putting the defense into turmoil.....although getting better), but if he was working on his FT over the summer he has gotten worse.........he had been a career 60% shooter which is bad but this year he ranks 66 our of 69 guards in the NBA that have taken a FT shooting an abyssmal 46% (12 for 26)............it is the one facet of the game that is stopping him from being in the top 5 active guards......not sure if he will ever get it.......... Lovetruth had mentioned how many games we may have lost because of it but it goes deeper than the points........how many games have we lost because in the fourth quarter opposing teams play off him allowing a double team off the ball...........not alone that he is reluctant at that point to go to the hoop because he doesn't want to go to the line which takes him out of what he does best...........we would be much better served to have Delonte in at the end of the game or even Nate and let Rondo sit.......his ego will have him shooting FT a lot better or at least practicing them........
    Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you're saying about Rondo as his poor FT shooting is perplexing especially when he hits 5/10 from the floor last night. Just disagree with one point. Despite his poor FT shooting he iseasily one of the top point gusrds in the NBA with great defense, rebounding and 15 assists per game.

Hetchinspete.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Shooting does not come naturally to Rondo.  He has to think about it and make a conscious effort.  That is the problem.  Somebody mentioned that he shoots flat.  His passing is great because the ball trajectory is relatively flat and the target (hands) are placed vertically.  Shooting requires a higher ball trajectory and the target (hoop) is placed flat.

I expect Rondo's free throw shooting to improve as the season progresses.  After all Nate was abysymal and he is getting better now.  There is a settling down going on with the Celts.  Now Delonte will come on board.  The O'Neal brothers have been in and out.  As the Celts come together a bit more, I expect Rondo to connect a little more with his shot and free throws.  Right now he is too busy running the team.  He will get better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Guys, Rondo is not a shooter. He never will be. He is, however, a tremendous set-up man who has nearly a 5-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Some fans will never appreciate a player who isn't a great shooter, but there are more things to the game. That's not to say he shouldn't do better at the line, but Rondo's good far outweighs his bad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Rondo,

Please learn how to shoot bucket style. It works for large-handed guys like you far better than the alternatives.

Hire Rick Barry for a month and work out with him for FT drills. You'll get better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

So many dorky posts in this thread I can't respond to all of them. 

"how many games have we lost because in the fourth quarter opposing teams play off him allowing a double team off the ball...."

Looking at this season, I'd say we've lost zero games for that reason. Record looks pretty good to me - you? 

" Rondo not the only PG getting a lot of assist this year."

Well actually he set the all time record after five games so I'd say he's ahead of the pack in that area, wouldn't you? 

"Rondo also has dumb turnovers on dumb passes too." Yes, but while his free throw shooting hasn't improved, his command of the overall offense has. 

"I don't see how he is different. Steve nash, williams, Ellis and others are also disrupting to teams." 

Well, he's a lot better than Monta Ellis who is jacking shots up for a bad team. Steve Nash is going to the hall of fame but has lost a step. Williams is one of the best two point guards in the league. So, no, Rondo is not as good overall as Williams. Each one of the players you cited are very different and disrupt in certain ways. Rondo is particularly capable of disrupting the Miami Heat, which is good for us in the eastern conference. 

Bottom line: Rondo has areas he needs to improve in. Even with those areas he needs to improve, he's playing like a top five point guard - at least for this team. He might not do as well on a team that needed more scoring from him, but that's not a concern right now. 

Mark my words, as long as Rondo averages 15 assists per game we are going to win a ton of games and you'll all be whining while we are in first place. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

What is the all time record for assists in the regular season?

Off hand I can't think of any one who averaged 15 for an entire season.  Maybe Stockton?  But I doubt it.

The season is young but if Rondo continues dishing at this rate, he'll have a historical year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

[QUOTE]Have you noticed how smooth Rondo's jumper has been of late (when he shoots in rhythm, i.e.)?  Maybe he should shoot J's from the charity stripe.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

Shooting is orchestrated by the body being in motion and evaluating the distance, height and trajectory. When you stop in the middle of a smooth continual motion you screw up the whole mathematical brain to muscle process and consistancy is gone. hence ....you miss!

(disclaimer) it's easier said than done!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Have you noticed how smooth Rondo's jumper has been of late (when he shoots in rhythm, i.e.)?  Maybe he should shoot J's from the charity stripe.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

heinsohn has said this a couple of times. 

you can look at this any number of ways.  i look at it the following way.  rondo's sky high assists mean nothing when he is a BELOW AVERAGE scorer.  we need him to agitate the other team, dictate tempo to the best extent that he can.  and 10 pts a night ain't it.  it's also the difference in many of these O/T games if rondo can simply average 14 or 15 a game like he  should be, with his eyes closed.

so lose the beggars can't be choosers stuff- it's a junk argument.  rondo needs to carry his load of scoring on this team.  he cannot function as a shooting liability on a contending team and NOT end up hurting them a lot.  now and later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Just take Rondo out in the last 2 minutes and let Delonte run the show.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

I agree with P34. Rondo can do a heck of other things. When games are on the line, his great passes are not enough. I still remember the great come back in game 4 of 07-08 finals in LA, Rondo was not playing during that comeback stretch. The heroes were PP, KG, RA, Posey, Eddie and PJ.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

[QUOTE]i look at it the following way.  rondo's sky high assists mean nothing when he is a BELOW AVERAGE scorer. 
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Are you crazy?  Cuz this statement clearly is.  15 assists a game for a long stretch of time is a feat that very few elite NBA point guards were able to accomplish.  Shooting doesn't even deserve to get mentioned here.  This feat itself is out-of-this-world.

Yes, Rondo can improve.  In fact, of all the players on the Cs, Rondo improving his shooting is better than anyone else improving anything else.  However, to state that Rondo is keeping us from winning more is just blatantly ridiculous.  If Paul could learn to dribble with more control we could cut down our turnovers in the 4th quarter and that might result in us winning without having to go to overtime.  If KG could improve his range and start nailing 3 pointers we could stretch the floor even more.  If Baby could become a knock down 3 point shooter, we could really space the floor.  ETC ETC ETC.  The list goes on and on and on.  

Nothing wrong with working on this list, but stop whinning about it.  If the first thing doesnt work then STOP with it, and move to the next item.  Otherwise, you are being stupendously inefficient.  And thats probably what DOC's point of view is.  He has already moved to other things, while some of the idiots here are stuck on Rondo's shooting.

Rondo is who he is.  Mark my word:  Rondo will never transform into a elite shooter.  Even if he improves drastically, he will have games where you will be pissed at his poor shooting.  It is what it is. 

That being said, there isn't a single point guard on the NBA that could run our point better than Rondo.  He keeps everyone on our team in rhythm, motivated and balanced.  Rondo keeps track of who is where, who has taken how many shots, who wants to shoot right now, who is getting hot etc.  I can guaranttee you that no other PG sees the PG position with more complexity and is still able to run it effortlessly.

Yeah, we talk about Deron Williams and Chris Paul being better.  Overall, they probably are.  But as pure ball distributors they arent even in Rondo's league.  SERIOUSLY.  And if we had Deron or Chris, I can guaranttee you that our Big 3 would not be generating close to the stats they are generating right now.  And let me tell you, having stats keeps you motivated to perform better.  KG, Paul and Ray not having to work hard to get their points is worth a lot in my books.  Rondo accomplishes that for us.

Lets just get off his back.  He isn't going to turn into someone you want him to turn into.  He will turn into what he wants to turn into.  Unless you are the coach of the team, or one of the owners, you have no say on Rondo so learn to live with it.

Might I point out, the Celtics coaches and owners have clearly embraced Rondo being our point guard for the forseeable future.  And for the amount of money we pay him, he is an absolute steal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with P34. Rondo can do a heck of other things. When games are on the line, his great passes are not enough. I still remember the great come back in game 4 of 07-08 finals in LA, Rondo was not playing during that comeback stretch. The heroes were PP, KG, RA, Posey, Eddie and PJ.
    Posted by lovetruth007[/QUOTE]

statistically flawed statement =  means nothing really, in fact is close to being as good as garbage.  Why?  because:

1.  Rondo of 2007 to 2008 < Rondo of 2008 to 2009 < Rondo of 2009 to 2010 < Rondo of 2010 to 2011

2.  Conclusions drawn on 1 data point are close to meaning garbage in statistical terms

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

blah blah blah

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

start another antoine walker thread

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Actually compared to last year's stats, young Rondo is kickin' it at the charity stripe!

He was 3 of 10 (30%) this time last year after 10 contests... while this year he is by comparison feasting at the FT line... enjoying a robust 12 for 26 (46%) accuracy rate. (Thanks but no thanks, Mark Price!)

Look no further for improvement, nit pickers!!!

Its right there in the stats.

Pud 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from alchow00. Show alchow00's posts

Congrat to Rajon, ranked number 1 PG by CNN ahead of DWill and CP4.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1011/nba.top.point.guards/content.1.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Congrat to Rajon, ranked number 1 PG by CNN ahead of DWill and CP4. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1011/nba.top.point.guards/content.1.html
    Posted by alchow00[/QUOTE]

Rondo is simply one of 15 elite PGs featured by Sports Illustrated. There is no ranking attempted.

Try reading the captions!

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]Actually compared to last year's stats, young Rondo is kickin' it at the charity stripe! He was 3 of 10 (30%) this time last year after 10 contests... while this year he is by comparison feasting at the FT line... enjoying a robust 12 for 26 (46%) accuracy rate. (Thanks but no thanks, Mark Price!)   Look no further for improvement, nit pickers!!! Its right there in the stats. Pud 
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    As one who enjoys subtle sarcasm, good one Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

Yeah, he just appears first in the list. It doesn't say he's the number 1 though. Good one pud!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Pud, Did you just cry a little?
    Posted by existentialparquet[/QUOTE]

Tears???.... why yes... but tears of joy! No question about it.

Our own Can't Shoot Str8 Kid making it to SI once again.

Can the SwimSuit section be next for these elite PG hunks???? 

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?! : Rondo is simply one of 15 elite PGs featured by Sports Illustrated. There is no ranking attempted. Try reading the captions! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Quoting the article:

"There is no position deeper in the NBA right now than point guard.  The league has a bevy of stars competing to be the best and Rajon Rondo mounts as convincing of an argument as any."

Sounds like the author is saying something a whole lot different than that Rondo is simply one of the top 15. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1 for 5 free throw shooting, another record for Rondo?! : Quoting the article: "There is no position deeper in the NBA right now than point guard.  The league has a bevy of stars competing to be the best and Rajon Rondo mounts as convincing of an argument as any." Sounds like the author is saying something a whole lot different than that Rondo is simply one of the top 15. 
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.... how about we've got a bevy of 15 convincing arguments... as I read it.

Closer to the truth (small "t" truth)???

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

The plain meaning of the writer is that in his view a reasonable argument can be made that Rondo is the top PG in the league.  How else can you read " Rajon Rondo mounts as convincing an argument as any."

You may not agree with his assesment but the writer plainly did not say that Rondo is simply some where in the top 15.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]The plain meaning of the writer is that in his view a reasonable argument can be made that Rondo is the top PG in the league.  How else can you read " Rajon Rondo mounts as convincing an argument as any." You may not agree with his assesment but the writer plainly did not say that Rondo is simply some where in the top 15.
    Posted by pliu[/QUOTE]

The writer is sufficiently and carefully ambiguous in his assessments  such that there is something there for everyone... thereby lending itself to mass appeal.

It amounts to a  lot of  superficial  happy talk that doesn't generate disagreement from me or from anyone else I suspect.

If he begins to rank PGs....  then careful scrutiny and analysis becomes possible, not what the author had in mind IMHO.

Mostly glossy pics, very little copy. That's SI.

The soft porn of the swimsuit section gets the most hits.

Otherwise there is less to SI than meets the eye.

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts