1986 all over again?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: 1986 all over again?

1985/86..? we can only hope this team does as well......1986/87..? Please....no!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Good thoughts, Kirk, but not even this team is as good as that one!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I don't think any team in league history was as good......they were 8 deep with absolutely no weakness.....shooting, rebounding, passing, playing great "D".....no flaw in their game...league MVP and the Sixth Man of the Year....multiple all stars....crushed the Lakers in both meetings...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

This team is nowhere near as good.  The core of our stars was Bird 29years old, Mchale 28, Parish 32, DJ 32, and Ainge 27.  Even Walton was  only thirty three.    We are deep and good though even though we are light in the rebounding department.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

did I forget to mention that they were 40-1 at home...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

It kind of feels that way to me.

A deep talented team with one goal in mind.

Agreed.  Time will tell, but this team is deep and positioned to be among the best Celtics teams of all time.

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Walton completely dominated Kareem in both regular season meetings.....I so enjoyed watching both of those games....the Celtics toyed with the highest scoring team in the league that season....

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I am reading the Feb 24, 1986 SI......the headline:

"Boston Socks it to the Champs"

excerps:

The Celtics have now beaten the Lakers in The Forem and in the Boston Garden, in transition and in half court, from the outside and from the inside, with their superstars and with their scrubs, in sickness and in health. It now behooves the defending NBA champions to return to their drawing board and their video library and devise a way to whip these guys in green-but it is not immediately apparent how that can be done.

"No doubt, there is no question that Boston is the better team" (Magic Johnson)

the article goes on about how the Lakers had vengeance as a motive at home while the Celtics had McHale on the bench with an injury.......the Lakers absolutely had to even this series (Boston won the opener at home 110-95).....alas it was not to be.....Boston won in LA 105-99 (vs a Laker team that would lead the league with an average of over 117 ppg)........and on and on it goes....

as I said, Walton dominated Kareem as the Celtics dominated the Lakers (and the league).....

this '86 squad was Boston's best ever....and probably the best team in league history....

Celtic Pride.....Celtic Mystique.....unequalled..!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

Have to agree, that 1986 Celts team is the best Celtic team in Celtic history. 

As for best ever in NBA history, that goes to the 1996 Bulls who won 72 games.

That Bulls team only lost 10 games in 6 months!

Boy, that is impressive....Jordan was from another planet..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

but those Bulls didn't face the competition the Celtics did.....the '86 Celts would've beaton all of MJ's Bulls' teams....and it wouldn't have been close....the Bulls rose to the top once the Celtics, Lakers, and Pistons fell off...MJ's teams got schooled by Bird's teams....every year!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

This team feels more like the 1987 Lakers. I mean Rondo is Magic, Jeff Green is Worthy, and KG is Jabbar.

Either way, this current Celts team is going to be very good. Better than the Lakers, that's a guarantee!

After 30 games, the Celts will be #1 or #2 in the east.

yup that is the comparison I started a thread about over the summer, the Laker trolls of course tried to laugh me off the board

Bass is A.C. Green, Lee and Terry combine to be Byron Scott, Avery is Michael Cooper, Darko is Rambis

Only thing is those Lakers didn't really have a Paul Pierce and we don't really have a Mychal Thompson, but I guess they even each other out as both play the savvy veteran in their mid-30's role, Pierce is obv superior... but then again Magic and Worthy are better than Rondo and Green

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The '96 Bulls vs. '86 Celtics would have been a 7 game series with the home team likely winning...

The '86 Celtics would beat all 5 other Bulls champions, but it would be in 6-7 games, never 5

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

We have to give credit where credit is due. Winning 72 games and a championship in one season, the record speaks for itself.

The competition in 96 was not close to 86.  Philly,  Detroit, Los Angeles, the Knicks,and even the rising Bulls were so far beyond what the league was in 96 it is not funny. Morph the 86 Celtics or even Lakers from that period someone of them would have one 72 games against that weakened league in that time. The Bulls would not match up against those teams the league was much tougher in 1986.  Good point about the Celtics of 2012 being closer to the 87 Lakers though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Psshh that comparison to showtime Lakers was the point I first brought up over the summer;-)

Put the '96 Bulls in the '85-'86 season and they win 7-9 less games for sure, but they still remain neck and neck with Boston for best team in the NBA.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Appreciate the sentiment Kirk, altho I believe the accuracy of your post is wide of  the mark.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Kirk I assume this means you feel better about Green now?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

even though we are light in the rebounding department.  

Don't quite get this comment. The Celtics led the league in rebounding and were fourth or fifth in fewest rebounds by the opponent.

The Celtics typically dominated on the boards, especially the defensive boards. Bird cleaned up on the defensive boards, and Parish, Walton and McHale were all strong on the boards.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

The 1986 Celtics are easily one of the top 3 teams of all time. It's been said Bird would play entire games shooting only with his left hand just for fun. The following year Walton was injured as was Bird and McHale though they played through the injuries in the playoffs. Had they been healthy they 2-peat. And lets not forget Len Bias who was drafted in 1986. What a team that would have been.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

the '87 Celtic squad was devasted by injuries.....and still took the series to six games....Magic's baby hook shot and Bird's "just miss" at the buzzer were the differences.....imagine a healthy Bird, McHale, Parish, Walton, and Wedman......then just imagine Bias being in the mix....Boston repeats with ease...and Bird & McHale don't play as many minutes going forward....things probably would've been quite different...but, then again, that's why they play the games.... 

Sections
Shortcuts