2 things holding Jeff Green back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

2 things holding Jeff Green back

His handle and his general physicality(aggressiveness) on both ends.

He's got hustle,touch, decent post moves ( needs an up-fake and some 2nd option moves),  decent hops, decent passing, good B-Ball IQ, good length, good muscle tone,good quickness, poise and heart.

A lot to like.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Re: 2 things holding Jeff Green back

I'm a big JG fan and he has good hands  and is agressive enough. I think his biggest problem was this year was 2 fold also but for different reasons 1st he went from playing 30-35 to 10-15 minutes in the middle of the season in a totally different offense,which he did admirably but that is alot to ask for a youing player. 2nd he was left out of the loop so much when he was on the floor that when he was involved it took him by suprise. I think Doc finally realized how to utilize his talents the last 2 games of the Mia series and next season he will be a major cog in the Celtics machine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

If we sign him, I think he'll be alright. I think the lack of aggressiveness was due to newness.

Green and Kristic looked like guys who were so worried about where they were supposed to be that they forgot how to just play. Doc seems to do that to guys. Red would have told them, "First, get the ball!" Instead, they're worrying about floor balance and rotations, etc.

Green was running to 3 pt. land to spot up, instead of hitting the glass. I think that's over-learning "the system." The kid was a great rebounder in college. We saw what Bradley was capable of, that one game when he just played. Kristic played well, until he got coached. That's what happens when you get new guys in midseason on a set, veteran team.

Green can run like a deer... but he may catch like one too. I agree, much work needed on his ball handling. Now, how much will it cost?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

Give Green a full offseason to get used to the system and the players on the Celtics, and i think you will see a bigtime improvement from him next year, whether as our starting 3 or 4, or as our 6th man.
    The kid is a hell of a talent as he has already proven in this league.... It's a lot to ask to expect a kid to come in late in the season and pick things right up in a different role than he is used to. Great trade....Just didnt work out as well as we wouldve liked this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What holding him back is being given 33-37 mins a game and Doc/Rondo having an offseason and trainign camp to decide how to use him.

We'll need to see the team try to make him the 1-2 option on offense and see his role created and expanded before we can decide if he can't dribble and isn't aggressive.

Since he was never played at his natural SF spot in OKC we don't really know what he'll be

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: 2 things holding Jeff Green back:
    What holding him back is being given 33-37 mins a game and Doc/Rondo having an offseason and trainign camp to decide how to use him. We'll need to see the team try to make him the 1-2 option on offense and see his role created and expanded before we can decide if he can't dribble and isn't aggressive. Since he was never played at his natural SF spot in OKC we don't really know what he'll be
    Posted by rameakap

PR, I am sure that if he had Zach Randolph's moves and crossover dribble and step back dribble he would have shown it at least once.

If he had Zach's post skills I would have never pu pu'd the trade for him.
    But he doesn't even have a very effective spin move in the post.

It's a slow, telegraphed one. Zach's is much more explosive and he's a much heavier player.

Jeff has Antawn Jamison/ James Worthy offensive potential if he gets an arsenal of post moves under his belt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn313. Show rpn313's posts

I'm willing to give Green another look next year.  I think he was caught in the  uneviable, uncomfortable position of being the centerpiece of the Perkins trade, and having to live up to the naysayers, trying to prove himself, and yet at the very same time, defer to the big 3/big 4 when on the floor because this was "THEIR TEAM".  Once he's fully integrated into the system, and perhaps even as a starter, he will be more comfortable and play his game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Jeff has Antawn Jamison/ James Worthy offensive potential if he gets an arsenal of post moves under his belt.
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

I like the Antawn Jamison comparison. A great player with a running team, but ground to dust in the half court slugfests.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Green is definitely a tremendous athlete who just may be more comfortable running in transition and working in space. When he was with OKC he took it to the rim a lot but it may have been difficult for him to pick up the sets and cut loose in our system with BBD, Shaq, or KG down in the blocks so he would just hang out in the corners in 3-point land instead. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

We got severely rushed into using Jeff Green.

He had to come in and basically just use his size because we had no idea what to do with him. We would just take the advantage and go to the low post. Which is never a terrible idea but theres so much more we likely can do with Jeff. 

I think if he can improve that mid range jumper and his defense hes going to be here for a bit. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I like his game he has a nice shot explosive and runs the floor. I watched him omprove on the defensive end from the time he got here his comfort level is all I see wrong. He was paying so much attention on D I think it hurt his offence. Jamerson is a good comparison I feel that is he can just be himself and not live up to other peoples expectations. He is a good solid player and thats all we need him to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

At this point I am not sure if Jeff Green has that mental edge.  The ability to size up the situation and plan the next move just a step ahead of others.  The decision making.  That is what makes Rondo special despite his shooting limitations.

We/Danny can speculate that he is a nice guy who has been forced to be deferential.  To Kevin Durant and Westbrook in OKC.  To the Big 3 here.  That is why he is tentative.  But I am not inclined to bet in favor of that.

It is possible that he will discover an edge if he is forced to lead, make mistakes, get frustrated and make discoveries.  But that would mean sacrificing a bunch of games.

Come to think of it, it will be a perfect plan for the Celts to do just that next year.  Play Green in a big way even if it means losing games.  Play Bradley a lot too (shudders)!  Force Rondo to be a bigger scorer. Turn it up in the last 1/3rd of the season and just make it into the playoffs with the Big 3 fresh and a deeper bench.  Make a run and collect a much higher draft pick along the way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

At this point I am not sure if Jeff Green has that mental edge.  The ability to size up the situation and plan the next move just a step ahead of others.  The decision making.  That is what makes Rondo special despite his shooting limitations. We/Danny can speculate that he is a nice guy who has been forced to be deferential.  To Kevin Durant and Westbrook in OKC.  To the Big 3 here.  That is why he is tentative.  But I am not inclined to bet in favor of that. It is possible that he will discover an edge if he is forced to lead, make mistakes, get frustrated and make discoveries.  But that would mean sacrificing a bunch of games. Come to think of it, it will be a perfect plan for the Celts to do just that next year.  Play Green in a big way even if it means losing games.  Play Bradley a lot too (shudders)!  Force Rondo to be a bigger scorer. Turn it up in the last 1/3rd of the season and just make it into the playoffs with the Big 3 fresh and a deeper bench.  Make a run and collect a much higher draft pick along the way.
    Posted by prakash

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN! No you thinkin'
    That's how you rebuild an aging franchise!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

At this point I am not sure if Jeff Green has that mental edge.  The ability to size up the situation and plan the next move just a step ahead of others.  The decision making.  That is what makes Rondo special despite his shooting limitations. We/Danny can speculate that he is a nice guy who has been forced to be deferential.  To Kevin Durant and Westbrook in OKC.  To the Big 3 here.  That is why he is tentative.  But I am not inclined to bet in favor of that. It is possible that he will discover an edge if he is forced to lead, make mistakes, get frustrated and make discoveries.  But that would mean sacrificing a bunch of games. Come to think of it, it will be a perfect plan for the Celts to do just that next year.  Play Green in a big way even if it means losing games.  Play Bradley a lot too (shudders)!  Force Rondo to be a bigger scorer. Turn it up in the last 1/3rd of the season and just make it into the playoffs with the Big 3 fresh and a deeper bench.  Make a run and collect a much higher draft pick along the way.
    Posted by prakash

Agree. Don't think Green has a high basketball IQ which may be something DA didn't realize until he got here. However, Doc should've had some insight into this and/or Green's intensity level knowing him from Georgetown where he played with his son.

Sections
Shortcuts