2014 Celtic's Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

2014 Celtic's Draft

Here's my board of the best players available, also I've already made the assumption Wiggens and Parker are gone by 6.

PG: Tyler Ennis (6'2" 181)

SG: Jordan Adams (6'5" 220)

SF: Kyle Anderson (6'8" 230)

PF: Noah Vonleh (6’10” 240)

C: Walter Tavares Cape Verde (7'2" 265)

Tyler Ennis the best pure point guard in the draft, he reminds me of a young Tony Parker.  Jordan Adams is a ball hawking defensive minded shooting guard with no weaknesses.  Kyle Anderson played point guard for UCLA, I understand that I am taking the entire UCLA backcourt but I don't care, they are the best of the rest.  Noah Vonleh has the most upside and plays like a man amongst boys, for a guy his age that and his shooting from three point land are very impressive.  Center is harder to project, there aren't many (any) to choose from so I'm taking the guy along with Fav who could become a good rotation of big men at center for us.  I almost took the giant from Xavier instead...

I know there are plenty draft threads already but it wouldn't be a bad idea for people to lay out their best, can't miss prospects for review later on down the road.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: 2014 Celtic's Draft

In response to wozzy's comment:

Here's my board of the best players available, also I've already made the assumption Wiggens and Parker are gone by 6.

PG: Tyler Ennis (6'2" 181)

SG: Jordan Adams (6'5" 220)

SF: Kyle Anderson (6'8" 230)

PF: Noah Vonleh (6’10” 240)

C: Walter Tavares Cape Verde (7'2" 265)

Tyler Ennis the best pure point guard in the draft, he reminds me of a young Tony Parker.  Jordan Adams is a ball hawking defensive minded shooting guard with no weaknesses.  Kyle Anderson played point guard for UCLA, I understand that I am taking the entire UCLA backcourt but I don't care, they are the best of the rest.  Noah Vonleh has the most upside and plays like a man amongst boys, for a guy his age that and his shooting from three point land are very impressive.  Center is harder to project, there aren't many (any) to choose from so I'm taking the guy along with Fav who could become a good rotation of big men at center for us.  I almost took the giant from Xavier instead...

I know there are plenty draft threads already but it wouldn't be a bad idea for people to lay out their best, can't miss prospects for review later on down the road.

Funny that you mention the Parker comparison for Ennis..I was looking at CBSSports' mock drafts. They give a "best case" and "worst case" comparison for each player. Ennis' "best case" is Tony Parker.

IF we trade Rondo, I'd be good with Ennis at #17 if he is still there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

PG - Elfird Payton

SG - James Young

SF - TJ Warren

PF - Noah Vonleh

C - Yusef Nurkcic

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Outside the top 4 (Parker, Wiggins, Embiid, Exum) who will be gone when the C's pick, here is my depth chart:

C - Nurkic, Capela, Tavares (Tavares had unimpressive stats overseas)

PF - Vonleh, Randle, Payne

SF/PF - Gordon, Saric, McDermott

SF - Warren, Early, Hood

SG - Stauskas, Harris, Jordan Adams

PG/SG - LaVine, Kyle Anderson (PG/SF), Jordan Clarkson

PG - Smart, Payton, Napier

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Too bad for Austin, poor kid has been through enough already

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

TJ Warren with the #17 pick !

I bet Warren averages 15 points a game for the next 12 seasons

The type of guy you have to overpay for as a free agent,,,,,

JUST DRAFT THE GUY ! 

Warren is a can't miss shooter, scorer and shotmaker, his in-between game means the Celtics would never have a scoreless streak longer than 2 minutes - how many times have we seen the Celtics go scoreless for more than 3 minutes or longer ?

Just love Warren's game and the thought of adding him to the  Celtics ........Phoenix is looking to dump one or all their picks, no reason for the Celtics to miss out on TJ Warren @ #17 (or #14, #18)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TJ Warren with the #17 pick !

I bet Warren averages 15 points a game for the next 12 seasons

The type of guy you have to overpay for as a free agent,,,,,

JUST DRAFT THE GUY ! 

Warren is a can't miss shooter, scorer and shotmaker, his in-between game means the Celtics would never have a scoreless streak longer than 2 minutes - how many times have we seen the Celtics go scoreless for more than 3 minutes or longer ?

Just love Warren's game and the thought of adding him to the  Celtics ........Phoenix is looking to dump one or all their picks, no reason for the Celtics to miss out on TJ Warren @ #17 (or #14, #18)

[/QUOTE]

He's a can't miss SCORER and very good defender as well, after Gordon and maybe Saric I like him as a SF over pretty much anybody else we'd draft to primarily play the 3.

But he is NOT a can't miss SHOOTER, that is the flaw in his game.

If you put McDermott or Hood's shooting with Warren's everything else you'd have a SF prospect as good as Parker/Wiggins.

Will the shooting come? Who knows.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I would bet the farm that IF he is there at 17 DA will take him.  My guess is, he won't be!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

From the past, I never speculate who & what player the Celtics will be drafting 'cause Ainge does the opposite. I can't wait on the draft night and see who in the forum are far off..... my guess everybody! Proven over and over - year after year - draft after draft that no one can predict what Ainge does..... all wrong ------ "ALL THE TIME" I just wait and see and assess if Ainge did it right. I know PITINO, he drafted all suck players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

With Wiggins, Parker, Exum, Randle and Embiid (will be drafted by Orlando and traded, maybe to the Celtics) off the board - best options for Celtics at #6 IMO are:

1. Smart

2. Stauskas

3. Gordon

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

PG: Tyler Ennis (6'2" 181) - I say Ennis reminds me of Tony Parker because he always makes the right play, finds the easiest basket, has the best assist to turnover ratio in the draft and is very quick.  He doesn't look explosive but he beats people to the basket and finishes or dishes, he is the best pure point guard out there. I'm also assuming Smart is gone at 6.

SG: Jordan Adams (6'5" 220) - I can't believe this guy is so far down on so many lists, he has the prerequisite size, athleticism, shooting ability and defensive desire that you need at shooting guard.

SF: Kyle Anderson (6'8" 230) - UCLA was underwhelming this past season but these last two guys carried them.  Anderson at his size playing point guard says so much.  He has all the intangibles you look for at the swing position and I think he is undervalued for the same reason Adams is, UCLA wasn't amazing but the individual play of these two warrants higher picks than they'll likely go.

PF: Noah Vonleh (6’10” 240) - We're all in agreement this is probably the best power forward in the draft.  The kid has a bright future.

C: Walter Tavares Cape Verde (7'2" 265) - I look at this guy as a Bill Wennington/Luc Longly type pick, he won't be a superstar but might become a solid role player.  There is no All Star center in this draft, so it's time for value at this pick.

I hope we take Vonleh at 6 and another one of these guys later, if we know Love isn't coming here, we move Rondo on draft night maybe we can get three of these guys.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I figured I would follow up my draft picks to see how they turn out.

Jordan Adams first summer league game against the Thunder: 22 Pts, 4 steals, 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 turnover in 30 minutes.  He shot 4-6 from three point land.

He was the best shooting guard in the draft, I can't believe he fell as far as he did but the Grizz have a great personnel department.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Jordan Adams first summer league game against the Thunder: 22 Pts, 4 steals, 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 turnover in 30 minutes.  He shot 4-6 from three point land.

He was the best shooting guard in the draft, I can't believe he fell as far as he did but the Grizz have a great personnel department.

[/QUOTE]

Game 2 for Adams:  20 Pts, 7 boards, 2 assists, no steals and he turned it over a few times, he played better in game one but he was still solid.  He draws a lot of fouls and plays physical, a player I likened him to earlier was a poor man's Paul Pierce and it fits.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Game 2 for Adams:  20 Pts, 7 boards, 2 assists, no steals and he turned it over a few times, he played better in game one but he was still solid.  He draws a lot of fouls and plays physical, a player I likened him to earlier was a poor man's Paul Pierce and it fits.

[/QUOTE]

Wozzy, I did a draft work out special for most of the month prior to the draft. I probably saw 60 or so kids and we filmed just about everything. While I did not go out west, many of the west coast kids did come as Far East as Chicago ( and further) 

Adams can score against d-league talent, but after seeing him in drills, he is not that athletic, and is not Sully fat, but he is over weight. Sure, a player can get into shape ( hello Sully??) but Adams appears to be headed for the d-league year 1. 

You are probably aware of Hollingers influence on the Grizz draft, but in this instance the metrics do not match up with the eye test. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wozzy, I did a draft work out special for most of the month prior to the draft. I probably saw 60 or so kids and we filmed just about everything. While I did not go out west, many of the west coast kids did come as Far East as Chicago ( and further) 

Adams can score against d-league talent, but after seeing him in drills, he is not that athletic, and is not Sully fat, but he is over weight. Sure, a player can get into shape ( hello Sully??) but Adams appears to be headed for the d-league year 1. 

You are probably aware of Hollingers influence on the Grizz draft, but in this instance the metrics do not match up with the eye test. 

[/QUOTE]

You're the same guy that told me on draft night that Marcus Smart wasn't athletic and couldn't defend, this was before he went out and had 5 steals in his first game, no offense but I don't think you have a good grasp on "athletic" and how it relates to basketball.  I don't follow Hollinger or his methods and use my own rating system.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're the same guy that told me on draft night that Marcus Smart wasn't athletic and couldn't defend, this was before he went out and had 5 steals in his first game, no offense but I don't think you have a good grasp on "athletic" and how it relates to basketball.  I don't follow Hollinger or his methods and use my own rating system.

[/QUOTE]

Well no, I was not on the board on draft night. but after the draft, I did say that Smart was ready to defend in the NBA now, but was going to be really limited offensively, with teams sagging off of him as they did with Rondo. I also said he needs about 2 years to be ready here (I also said Young needed 4 years) 

I will stand by my earlier assessment, in spite of 1 d-league game. Smart, like any young player, will need plenty of time. Young will be in the D-league most of the year. Adams will hang around on his rookie deal and not make a mark in the league...

You should check out Hollinger if you like to study draft able players and metrics used in deciding why a pick was selected..lets face it, your NFL draft rating system was not really accurate, why would your NBA rating system be?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PG - Elfird Payton

SG - James Young

SF - TJ Warren

PF - Noah Vonleh

C - Yusef Nurkcic

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Man, I'm good!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Well no, I was not on the board on draft night. but after the draft, I did say that Smart was ready to defend in the NBA now, but was going to be really limited offensively, with teams sagging off of him as they did with Rondo. I also said he needs about 2 years to be ready here (I also said Young needed 4 years) 

I will stand by my earlier assessment, in spite of 1 d-league game. Smart, like any young player, will need plenty of time. Young will be in the D-league most of the year. Adams will hang around on his rookie deal and not make a mark in the league...

You should check out Hollinger if you like to study draft able players and metrics used in deciding why a pick was selected..lets face it, your NFL draft rating system was not really accurate, why would your NBA rating system be?

[/QUOTE]

"c'mon Woz. a beast at the NCAA level, but just another 3rd guard in the NBA on a playoff team. Can he cover an elite PG? No, he simply is not quick enough. Can he get into the paint in the NBA? Again, no quickness. Can he create his own shot? He really has no shot. Smart is a heady player, really strong for a guard. Can defend big guards in college, but not really in the NBA."

That is what you said.  This was my response to a similar comment on a different thread:

"Actual production is less important to some posters here than "potential" talent.  And yet the fact he's the most physically gifted (talented) at the point guard position in 2014/2013 does not matter much either apparently?  His lane agility time in the NBA combine was faster than Russell Westbrook, John Wall and Chris Paul.  He's 6'3" with a 6'9" wingspan, big hands, 220 pounds, he benched 19 reps of 185 lbs making him historically strong for a point guard or any guard for that matter.  Amazing production, amazing talent... if it were raining money the same moaners here would be complaining about the quarters hitting them on the head."

You seem to equate big and/or carrying more mass as "not athletic."  Both of these guys are bigger than the opponent guarding them, but they are athletic enough and basketball savvy enough where that is a positive.  Smart looked to have no problem with the clock running down the other day creating his own shot against two defenders and hitting a dagger jump shot.  Neither of these guys are fat, they are incredibly strong and muscular though.

I'll revisit this thread as the season progresses to see if I am wrong.  Out of the 1000+ players who enter the NFL draft the 20+ I choose every year predominately go on to have successful careers.  And while I might have had a hard time picking Patriot's draftees THIS year I also had Jamie Collins rated as the best outside linebacker in the draft last year going to the Patriots and Nate Solder as the highest rated tackle going to the Pats prior, so I'm not exactly bad in that department either in a process that at its heart is a total crapshoot.  

I'd hold my draft boards up for examination against anybody here, but then I'm one of the few posters who holds them self accountable with a dedicated thread and chooses players outside of Kiper's mock draft as the best player's available, just like I did with this thread.  

I believe the players I mocked here will become the best players available at their respective positions from where the Celtics were picking and time will tell if I'm wrong, not opinions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"c'mon Woz. a beast at the NCAA level, but just another 3rd guard in the NBA on a playoff team. Can he cover an elite PG? No, he simply is not quick enough. Can he get into the paint in the NBA? Again, no quickness. Can he create his own shot? He really has no shot. Smart is a heady player, really strong for a guard. Can defend big guards in college, but not really in the NBA."

That is what you said.  This was my response to a similar comment on a different thread:

"Actual production is less important to some posters here than "potential" talent.  And yet the fact he's the most physically gifted (talented) at the point guard position in 2014/2013 does not matter much either apparently?  His lane agility time in the NBA combine was faster than Russell Westbrook, John Wall and Chris Paul.  He's 6'3" with a 6'9" wingspan, big hands, 220 pounds, he benched 19 reps of 185 lbs making him historically strong for a point guard or any guard for that matter.  Amazing production, amazing talent... if it were raining money the same moaners here would be complaining about the quarters hitting them on the head."

You seem to equate big and/or carrying more mass as "not athletic."  Both of these guys are bigger than the opponent guarding them, but they are athletic enough and basketball savvy enough where that is a positive.  Smart looked to have no problem with the clock running down the other day creating his own shot against two defenders and hitting a dagger jump shot.  Neither of these guys are fat, they are incredibly strong and muscular though.

I'll revisit this thread as the season progresses to see if I am wrong.  Out of the 1000+ players who enter the NFL draft the 20+ I choose every year predominately go on to have successful careers.  And while I might have had a hard time picking Patriot's draftees THIS year I also had Jamie Collins rated as the best outside linebacker in the draft last year going to the Patriots and Nate Solder as the highest rated tackle going to the Pats prior, so I'm not exactly bad in that department either in a process that at its heart is a total crapshoot.  

I'd hold my draft boards up for examination against anybody here, but then I'm one of the few posters who holds them self accountable with a dedicated thread and chooses players outside of Kiper's mock draft as the best player's available, just like I did with this thread.  

I believe the players I mocked here will become the best players available at their respective positions from where the Celtics were picking and time will tell if I'm wrong, not opinions.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I nailed the top 7, except I had us taking Gordon, and ORL taking Smart.  I had us taking Young at 17, Capela going to HOU, and ORL taking a PG with one of its' top 2 picks.

Can say I don't know much about Adams.  I personally don't like Ennis, and I think Nurkic and Capela will be better than Tavares.

Anderson at 17 was too high, but I do like him.

You nailed Vonleh, and I still don't understand why we didn't take him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I nailed the top 7, except I had us taking Gordon, and ORL taking Smart.  I had us taking Young at 17, Capela going to HOU, and ORL taking a PG with one of its' top 2 picks.

Can say I don't know much about Adams.  I personally don't like Ennis, and I think Nurkic and Capela will be better than Tavares.

Time and results will tell.  Anderson was taken by the Spurs which is a good sign to me.  Vonleh was as much a case of us taking the best player available and having a logjam at power forward.  I didn't see Smart still sitting there at 6, you have to take him at that point. I applaud your picks and bravery in standing by them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Time and results will tell.  Anderson was taken by the Spurs which is a good sign to me.  Vonleh was as much a case of us taking the best player available and having a logjam at power forward.  I didn't see Smart still sitting there at 6, you have to take him at that point. I applaud your picks and bravery in standing by them.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ditto - you're a good poster!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was at 3 of his work outs, including Boston, filming almost every step he took. He is actually 6'2 and 3/4's, and he weighed in at 229 lbs. He struggled with quicker guards, but did over power others.

I applaud your research and tenacity on defending your comments, but I only can comment on what I saw.

Honestly, I agree with the pick, DA had no other choice if looking 3 years out. BUt Smart is not yet ready, and offensively may never be. He may also end up being a tweener defender, unable to defend quicker guards, nor taller.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I am just gonna say that So far I am a but disappointed in Smarts game. I was expected more from a # 6 overall pick in a supposed deep draft. I liked Gary Harris as a guy who can step in defensively right away and create his offense off of that. Smart looks like only an average ball handler. Can get to the hoop but that not creative when forced to change his shot(which will happen a lot) and his jumpshot is Bunk outside of 17 feet.  I can see his potential to guard 1s but he is gonna need to be savvy to cover the better 2's. On offense he can create shots for others with his dribble penetration which is a good tool to have but I dont see any other part of his game being elite. Once teams start sagging on his jumper, he is gonna struggle penetrating and dishing and start to miss open shots and may lose confidence like Rondo did in his shot.

I have mixed feeling about this pic. I was excited to get a younger player and move on from R.R. but this guy is NOT ready to replace him anytime soon IMO. In that case , should have drafted for size and used A.B.'s money on Isiah Thomas

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

Sections
Shortcuts