2014 Celtic's Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: 2014 Celtic's Draft

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I am just gonna say that So far I am a but disappointed in Smarts game. I was expected more from a # 6 overall pick in a supposed deep draft. I liked Gary Harris as a guy who can step in defensively right away and create his offense off of that. Smart looks like only an average ball handler. Can get to the hoop but that not creative when forced to change his shot(which will happen a lot) and his jumpshot is Bunk outside of 17 feet.  I can see his potential to guard 1s but he is gonna need to be savvy to cover the better 2's. On offense he can create shots for others with his dribble penetration which is a good tool to have but I dont see any other part of his game being elite. Once teams start sagging on his jumper, he is gonna struggle penetrating and dishing and start to miss open shots and may lose confidence like Rondo did in his shot.

I have mixed feeling about this pic. I was excited to get a younger player and move on from R.R. but this guy is NOT ready to replace him anytime soon IMO. In that case , should have drafted for size and used A.B.'s money on Isiah Thomas

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I respect your opinion, but it seems to me I recall fans saying the same thing about another Celtics pick a long time ago - Chauncy Billups!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from flashman. Show flashman's posts

You are right! That Spurs team had a bunch of old men on it and got steamrollered by the best 3 players in the NBA. Oh wait a minute! a "TEAM" won the finals. Bits and pieces doing their jobs and not trying to be "THE MAN" That poor #6 pick had the rooky jitters and only had 5 steals. I am disappointed also! Lets see how he does today. Yes it is "ONLY SUMMER LEAGUE" but I saw ball movement,lock down defense, and unselfish play. I know that doesn't cut it in the NBA, you have to have at least 4 stat. leaders on your team to win a championship. Coby and Howard on the same team were an unstoppable combination.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

I am just gonna say that So far I am a but disappointed in Smarts game. I was expected more from a # 6 overall pick in a supposed deep draft. I liked Gary Harris as a guy who can step in defensively right away and create his offense off of that. Smart looks like only an average ball handler. Can get to the hoop but that not creative when forced to change his shot(which will happen a lot) and his jumpshot is Bunk outside of 17 feet.  I can see his potential to guard 1s but he is gonna need to be savvy to cover the better 2's. On offense he can create shots for others with his dribble penetration which is a good tool to have but I dont see any other part of his game being elite. Once teams start sagging on his jumper, he is gonna struggle penetrating and dishing and start to miss open shots and may lose confidence like Rondo did in his shot.

I have mixed feeling about this pic. I was excited to get a younger player and move on from R.R. but this guy is NOT ready to replace him anytime soon IMO. In that case , should have drafted for size and used A.B.'s money on Isiah Thomas

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I respect your opinion, but it seems to me I recall fans saying the same thing about another Celtics pick a long time ago - Chauncy Billups!

I Hope he does become a star and I am not counting him out. Just giving my early assessment based on what I saw in his 1st game. Now maybe he was nervous but you can still see his skillset and it was meh to me. Maybe he is a gamer who comes alive in real games but lets not forget Kedrick Brown had me saying he was Ray Allen with Hops in the summer league so IJS, M.Smart should start to do work sooner rather than later. 

I dont see anything that cant be corrected but I also dont see "NBA Ready" written all over him outside of getting some steals.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I was at 3 of his work outs, including Boston, filming almost every step he took. He is actually 6'2 and 3/4's, and he weighed in at 229 lbs. He struggled with quicker guards, but did over power others.

I applaud your research and tenacity on defending your comments, but I only can comment on what I saw.

Honestly, I agree with the pick, DA had no other choice if looking 3 years out. BUt Smart is not yet ready, and offensively may never be. He may also end up being a tweener defender, unable to defend quicker guards, nor taller. 

I wasn't at his workouts, how his weight fluctuates or an 1/8th of an inch is irrelevant to me.  

If the Heat chose to play Dwayne Wade at point guard past his rookie year he would have continued to be the biggest, best point guard in the NBA.  His opponents would have had to guard him and small quick guys would still be small quick guys.  

Marcus Smart might be looked at as the best player in his draft class at the end of his rookie season and well beyond.  Time will tell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Smart made Napier look like a jackyass.

Yes, Smart went 2-8 and 0-5 on 3s, but he was dominant on D, had 5 rebs, 5 steals, 1 block, 3 assists to 1 TO, and more importantly, went 6-8 at the stripe - in 27 minutes.

This is why his WARP was #1. When his shots don't fall, he'll make that up with frequent trips to the line, to go along with his consistently great D. This is why Smart was a great pick. He will always contribute regardless of his shooting.

OTOH, Young's rebounding and defensive metrics were poor across the board at Kentucky. His shooting was mediocre, overall. So, if he can't improve on his D, he'll likely be a bust. Meanwhile, Jordan Adams has looked impressive in 2 summer league games. Oh well.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I was at 3 of his work outs, including Boston, filming almost every step he took. He is actually 6'2 and 3/4's, and he weighed in at 229 lbs. He struggled with quicker guards, but did over power others.

I applaud your research and tenacity on defending your comments, but I only can comment on what I saw.

Honestly, I agree with the pick, DA had no other choice if looking 3 years out. BUt Smart is not yet ready, and offensively may never be. He may also end up being a tweener defender, unable to defend quicker guards, nor taller. 

I wasn't at his workouts, how his weight fluctuates or an 1/8th of an inch is irrelevant to me.  

If the Heat chose to play Dwayne Wade at point guard past his rookie year he would have continued to be the biggest, best point guard in the NBA.  His opponents would have had to guard him and small quick guys would still be small quick guys.  

Marcus Smart might be looked at as the best player in his draft class at the end of his rookie season and well beyond.  Time will tell.

You sure you wanna put ink like that online with guys like A.Wiggins and Gordon in this draft with LOTS of potential? not to mention Parker, Wiggins, Harris,etc All should make more of an immediate impact. Smart may start the season on the bench depending on what happens but IJS, we may not NEED to play him right away. I find it hard to believe Smart is gonna have the best rookie year out of a talented class when he has a very good PG in front of him at the moment. Until R.R. gets traded, he is still the man. I can see him being ready to defend the 1 right away and he makes plays for others but his shooting needs work and his confidence isnt there yet to make an impact on offense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

Yes, Smart went 2-8 and 0-5 on 3s, but he was dominant on D, had 5 rebs, 5 steals, 1 block, 3 assists to 1 TO, and more importantly, went 6-8 at the stripe - in 27 minutes.

This is why his WARP was #1. When his shots don't fall, he'll make that up with frequent trips to the line, to go along with his consistently great D. This is why Smart was a great pick. He will always contribute regardless of his shooting.

OTOH, Young's rebounding and defensive metrics were poor across the board at Kentucky. His shooting was mediocre, overall. So, if he can't improve on his D, he'll likely be a bust. Meanwhile, Jordan Adams has looked impressive in 2 summer league games. Oh well.

I believe it was Pressey who made Bazz look bad on that crossover. I like what I saw defensively from Smart but a bit dissapointed in his ball handling and shooting. Im not sure why folks are comparing Smart who was a lottery pick to Shabazz who went # 25. Either way, Bazz has two titles and will fit in nice w/Miami so I wouldnt get too excited about his bad start. He is a gamer from M.H.P.,  Has a chip on his shoulder and will help out Lebron a lot when Ray leaves....Thats iF Lebron stays of course.

His biggest thing will be staying level headed as his confidence is sky high but school is out. He (Shabazz) needs to get bigger but he will be fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

More good news about Young...

Not only will he miss all of Summer League, but there's this ditty from DraftExpress:

"Although Young is talented enough to get picked much higher than this, concerns around his off-court habits and NBA readiness have tempered some of the enthusiasm around his draft stock as other prospects have risen for different reasons."

I never trust a player who has the measurables (SR/Wing) and yet, doesn't play any defense.

I'm curious about that accident. Was he driving or is he hangin' out with idiots?

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft-extended.php

Good job, Danny. Bobby Grier would be proud of you! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

I believe it was Pressey who made Bazz look bad on that crossover. I like what I saw defensively from Smart but a bit dissapointed in his ball handling and shooting. Im not sure why folks are comparing Smart who was a lottery pick to Shabazz who went # 25. Either way, Bazz has two titles and will fit in nice w/Miami so I wouldnt get too excited about his bad start. He is a gamer from M.H.P.,  Has a chip on his shoulder and will help out Lebron a lot when Ray leaves....Thats iF Lebron stays of course.

His biggest thing will be staying level headed as his confidence is sky high but school is out. He (Shabazz) needs to get bigger but he will be fine.

If Shabazz came out as a freshman or senior, I'd share your optimism.

That said, Smart has excelled in just two years of college.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Look, it's Summer league. Let's see how this unfolds, I was simply giving my impressions on Smart after seeing him play and go thru some visits...

Let's remember, last years Summer league made Oly an All Star with some Bird-ian comps to his game. However, the regular season exposed him to be a 7th or 8th man on a playoff team with Marty Conlon comps. 

The Shabazz comments don't carry weight with me. I question his draft position and ability to stay in the NBA ( I thought Bryce Cotton was the better player in head to head competition)

Wozzys Wade comp is interesting. I would have given Wade a similar assessment coming out of Marquette as I did Smart, and Wade has turned out to be a HOF player. 

Let's also remember Smart is going to have to stay in front of the Tony Parker's and John Walls of the NBA, or he is going to have to out physical the lance Stevensons or DWades of the NBA. Smart is a nice combo of quickness and strength, but is he NBA elite with either? So far, I am not seeing it. 

Sections
Shortcuts