2014 NBA Draft: Projecting next year's lottery picks!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

2014 NBA Draft: Projecting next year's lottery picks!

Acquire More Picks DA! Acquire More Picks! Go Celtics!!           

Gary Parrish College Basketball Insider    

2014 NBA Draft: Projecting next year's lottery picks

June 28, 2013 12:10 am ET Andrew Wiggins (USATSI) Andrew Wiggins could turn around a franchise and may be the best draft prospect since LeBron James. (USATSI)

Now that the 2013 NBA Draft is behind us, it's time to start looking ahead because, you know, it's never too early to start looking ahead, to think about the future, to begin discussing opinions about the next time 30 NBA franchises will spend an evening selecting 60 prospects.

That'll be next June, of course.

And it should be fantastic because the 2014 NBA Draft should be just as star-studded as the 2013 NBA Draft was star-free. In fact, I'd argue, any of the top four picks I've projected for next year's draft would've gone No. 1 in this year's draft had they been allowed to enter it. But they weren't because of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, and the beneficiary of that should be next year's lottery teams.

Here's my projected lottery picks for the 2014 NBA Draft:

2014 NBA Lottery Mock Draft

1. Andrew Wiggins, SF, Kansas (Fr.) Wiggins is arguably the best NBA prospect to exit high school since LeBron James. He's an explosive athlete and franchise player, the type that can have a similar impact on a market that Kevin Durant has had on Oklahoma City.

2. Julius Randle, PF, Kentucky (Fr.) Randle is the latest high-level prospect to enroll at UK. His combination of size, power and finesse will make him an ideal power forward in college and the NBA.

3. Aaron Gordon, PF, Arizona (Fr.) There's no guarantee that Gordon will develop into Blake Griffin, but watch him play and it's easy to see why some think he could. He's a super athlete who competes with a certain level of tenacity.

4. Jabari Parker, SF, Duke (Fr.) Parker was never deserving of the Sports Illustrated cover that called him the best high school basketball player since LeBron. But he's still really talented and worthy of being selected in the top five after one year at Duke.

5. Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State (Soph.) Smart will go lower in next year's NBA Draft than he would've in this year's NBA Draft because of the quality of this freshman class about to enroll. So staying at Oklahoma State cost him money. But he knew that when he made his decision, I'm certain.

6. Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Kentucky (Soph.) The potential with Cauley-Stein is something NBA scouts are already in love with considering he's only been playing basketball for a few years. He'll be a top-10 pick after the breakthrough season that's expected.

7. Andrew Harrison, PG/SG, Kentucky (Fr.) John Calipari got caught last season without a pro point guard, and it showed. Harrison will solve that problem this season, then bounce to the NBA.

8. Mitch McGary, PF, Michigan (Soph.) McGary was the breakout star of March's NCAA tournament. He could've been a first-round pick in this NBA Draft if he hadn't stayed in school. But he did. And the Wolverines -- plus the 2014 NBA Draft -- will benefit from that decision.

9. Mario Hezonja, SG/SF, Croatia (18) Hezonja is the only international player projected in this lottery. He's a nice athlete who plays on (and can make shots from) the wing.

10. Isaiah Austin, C, Baylor (Soph.) Austin has forever been projected as a lottery pick, which is why it was surprising when he opted to return to Baylor. Either way, most believe he'll make the jump after one more season in Waco and likely be picked about where he would've been picked this year.

11. Glenn Robinson, SF, Michigan (Soph.) Big Dog's kid has become a way better NBA prospect than anybody anticipated. He's among the reasons the Wolverines might make back-to-back Final Fours.

12. Montrezl Harrell, PF, Louisville (Soph.) Harrell was caught in a numbers game last season playing behind Gorgui Dieng. But he'll be the Cardinals' primary big this season, and the guess here is that he'll excel in that role.

13. Aaron Harrison, SG, Kentucky (Fr.) How do you know when you have a good set of twins? When even the inferior prospect of the two is still a projected lottery pick.

14. Semaj Christon, PG, Xavier (Soph.) Christon has the size and other physical tools to be a very nice professional point guard. If Xavier is good this season he'll compete for First Team All-American honors before jumping to the NBA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: 2014 NBA Draft: Projecting next year's lottery picks!

NBA: Dante 'Jet pack' Exum eyeing 2014 draft as colleges circle

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013 8:45am AEST

Dante Exum Photo: Plenty of promise ... Aussie young gun Dante Exum. (Getty Images: Robert Serra)   Map: Melbourne 3000

In the US the most talked about Australian basketballer is not Andrew Bogut, Kyrie Irving or Patty Mills, but a baby-faced 17-year-old yet to play a single minute in the NBA.

With a flashy name perfect for a Nike billboard and a dunking repertoire to back it up, Dante Exum is faced with a tough choice.

The Melbourne-born Australian Institute of Sport product is being aggressively pursued by elite colleges Indiana, Louisville, Louisiana State, Michigan and Kentucky.

But he can bypass that and enter next year's NBA Draft and sign a multi-million dollar contract.

"Dante Exum is flat-out spectacular," US website Bleacher Report recently raved.

"He's one of those explosive athletes who appears to play with a jet pack or rocket strapped to his back."

Draft analysts predict if the lanky, 198cm tall point guard heads straight to the NBA he will be a top 10 selection, maybe going as early as number three.

Exum has the pedigree, with his American father Cecil Exum playing on Michael Jordan's North Carolina 1982 NCAA championship team and being drafted by the NBA Nuggets in 1984 before moving to Australia to play seven seasons in the NBL for the North Melbourne Giants, Geelong Cats and Melbourne Tigers.

He settled in Australia, became a citizen, and is now guiding his son on his journey back to the US.

It was a plan hatched from the day he was born in Melbourne, with his dad taking a basketball to the hospital.

"He put it in my hand the day I was born," Exum told reporters at the just completed Under-19 world championships in Prague.

Exum's stock soared the past fortnight at the championships as he led the Australian team to an upset win over Spain, scoring 33 points, and then an overtime loss on Monday to Lithuania in the bronze medal game.

Exum also starred for the world team in its upset victory over the US squad at one of the elite scouting events, the Nike Hoop Summit all-star game in Portland, Oregon.

He is expected to decide whether to take the college or NBA path in the next few months.

Exum was named in the world championship all-tournament team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Its worrysome and intreging that there are only two Centers mentioned in the lottery. Danny's multiple picks in the first round, though not high, may prove valuable 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

UK is going to be loaded next college hoops season!!

If I am the Cs, I tell RR to take his time coming back from injury! A return post All Star game would be about right!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

four kentucky players in the top ten.  I wouldnt even draft any of them.  Other than drafting Rondo and Prince and maybe Wall if he stays healthy are still currently the top three best former kentucky players in NBA.

In response to BCSP's comment:

Acquire More Picks DA! Acquire More Picks! Go Celtics!!           

Gary Parrish College Basketball Insider    

2014 NBA Draft: Projecting next year's lottery picks

June 28, 2013 12:10 am ET Andrew Wiggins (USATSI) Andrew Wiggins could turn around a franchise and may be the best draft prospect since LeBron James. (USATSI)

Now that the 2013 NBA Draft is behind us, it's time to start looking ahead because, you know, it's never too early to start looking ahead, to think about the future, to begin discussing opinions about the next time 30 NBA franchises will spend an evening selecting 60 prospects.

That'll be next June, of course.

And it should be fantastic because the 2014 NBA Draft should be just as star-studded as the 2013 NBA Draft was star-free. In fact, I'd argue, any of the top four picks I've projected for next year's draft would've gone No. 1 in this year's draft had they been allowed to enter it. But they weren't because of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, and the beneficiary of that should be next year's lottery teams.

Here's my projected lottery picks for the 2014 NBA Draft:

2014 NBA Lottery Mock Draft

1. Andrew Wiggins, SF, Kansas (Fr.) Wiggins is arguably the best NBA prospect to exit high school since LeBron James. He's an explosive athlete and franchise player, the type that can have a similar impact on a market that Kevin Durant has had on Oklahoma City.

2. Julius Randle, PF, Kentucky (Fr.) Randle is the latest high-level prospect to enroll at UK. His combination of size, power and finesse will make him an ideal power forward in college and the NBA.

3. Aaron Gordon, PF, Arizona (Fr.) There's no guarantee that Gordon will develop into Blake Griffin, but watch him play and it's easy to see why some think he could. He's a super athlete who competes with a certain level of tenacity.

4. Jabari Parker, SF, Duke (Fr.) Parker was never deserving of the Sports Illustrated cover that called him the best high school basketball player since LeBron. But he's still really talented and worthy of being selected in the top five after one year at Duke.

5. Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State (Soph.) Smart will go lower in next year's NBA Draft than he would've in this year's NBA Draft because of the quality of this freshman class about to enroll. So staying at Oklahoma State cost him money. But he knew that when he made his decision, I'm certain.

6. Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Kentucky (Soph.) The potential with Cauley-Stein is something NBA scouts are already in love with considering he's only been playing basketball for a few years. He'll be a top-10 pick after the breakthrough season that's expected.

7. Andrew Harrison, PG/SG, Kentucky (Fr.) John Calipari got caught last season without a pro point guard, and it showed. Harrison will solve that problem this season, then bounce to the NBA.

8. Mitch McGary, PF, Michigan (Soph.) McGary was the breakout star of March's NCAA tournament. He could've been a first-round pick in this NBA Draft if he hadn't stayed in school. But he did. And the Wolverines -- plus the 2014 NBA Draft -- will benefit from that decision.

9. Mario Hezonja, SG/SF, Croatia (18) Hezonja is the only international player projected in this lottery. He's a nice athlete who plays on (and can make shots from) the wing.

10. Isaiah Austin, C, Baylor (Soph.) Austin has forever been projected as a lottery pick, which is why it was surprising when he opted to return to Baylor. Either way, most believe he'll make the jump after one more season in Waco and likely be picked about where he would've been picked this year.

11. Glenn Robinson, SF, Michigan (Soph.) Big Dog's kid has become a way better NBA prospect than anybody anticipated. He's among the reasons the Wolverines might make back-to-back Final Fours.

12. Montrezl Harrell, PF, Louisville (Soph.) Harrell was caught in a numbers game last season playing behind Gorgui Dieng. But he'll be the Cardinals' primary big this season, and the guess here is that he'll excel in that role.

13. Aaron Harrison, SG, Kentucky (Fr.) How do you know when you have a good set of twins? When even the inferior prospect of the two is still a projected lottery pick.

14. Semaj Christon, PG, Xavier (Soph.) Christon has the size and other physical tools to be a very nice professional point guard. If Xavier is good this season he'll compete for First Team All-American honors before jumping to the NBA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

UK is going to be loaded next college hoops season!!

If I am the Cs, I tell RR to take his time coming back from injury! A return post All Star game would be about right!

Agree.

Rondo, take your time. Sully take your time. Lets have three months of continued summer league. Jeff Green, you should be an Allstar.

Lets go for a losing streak. And then, second half of the year, lets turn on the heat. I think the best case scenerio would be to lose a lot of close fought games early in the season and then build something positive to go into next season with.

Let hope the net have growing pains and end the year as the 10-13th best team in the NBA. that'd get us a decent pick

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

No love for Wayne Selden from Kansas?? Dante Exum? Both of these guys should be slotted above the #6 spot. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

MelWitt-

Really???

I won't. I know we will be somewhere in the lottery next season and there are numerous impact/high quality prospects available. Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart, Robinson, Selden, Exum, Harrison x2, Young, McGary are all good/great prospects and if we get any of them the Cs long term outlook will be brighter

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

If we don't score one of the top, er,  bottom 5 lottery picks, I will consider next season to be a complete and utter failure...it will mean we can't even loose the right way...nothing more sad and pathetic than to be a loser at losing!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...What?

ahhhhhhh...Yeah, what HE said!!

+33,If we're gonna lose, we need to lose a lot. We need a super star, not a decent player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If the Cs get one of the top 4-picks in the 2014 NBA draft they are back in business! I still favor Wiggins, but Randel, Gordon, amd Parker are likely franchise changers, as well!

Go Celtics!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

For my taste, I'd rank them as such...

Parker

Wiggins

Randle

Smart

Andrew Harrison

Selden

Robinson III

Gordon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

Parker

Wiggins

Randle

Smart

Andrew Harrison

Selden

Robinson III

Gordon

I was shocked to see Parker at # 4! He is definately in the top 2!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anguskahn. Show anguskahn's posts

Parker

Wiggins

Randle

Smart

Andrew Harrison

Selden

Robinson III

Gordon

Spoken like a true east coaster.  You are nuts.  There is basketabll west of the Misissippi.  Wiggins and Randle are all that might be better.  Gordon was just the MVP of the under 19 team that won the gold.  Billy Donovan couldnt stop saying how great he was.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

NBA draft 2014: Loaded class offers hope to rebuilding teams   Facebook Share inShare Share Email Print Decrease font Enlarge font Andrew Wiggins is projected to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft. Andrew Wiggins, who will play at Kansas this fall, is considered the top prospect in the 2014 NBA draft. Robin Alam/Icon SMI

Is it June yet?

It's a thought that has passed through the minds of several NBA executives already, most likely ones from teams destined to have lousy seasons. Phoenix, Orlando, Charlotte, Boston, Philadelphia and Utah are all rebuilding and figure to be jockeying for prime lottery position with as many ping pong balls as they can get. Tanking is an annual rite of passage for NBA bottom-feeders but next season, said an Eastern Conference executive, "it will happen earlier than most."

Why? Because the 2014 draft is good. Really good. As ho-hum as most executives were about the '13 draft, they are that positively giddy about the '14 one. Ask execs about prospective franchise players in last month's draft and they will struggle to come up with one. Ask them about next year's and they will rattle off a list of five or six before taking a breath.

GIVE AND GO: Debating highs and lows of offseason thus far

"This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft," said a Western Conference GM, referring to the class headlined by LeBron JamesCarmelo AnthonyChris Bosh and Dwyane Wade. "There is a cluster of cornerstone, All-Star level players at the top. These are guys that if they were in this year's draft, they all would have gone at the top.

SI Now: How good is next year's NBA Draft?

Source: SI
    On Friday's SI Now, Sports Illustrated senior writer Chris Mannix discusses this year's NBA Draft and how next year's draft may be even better.

The leader of the class is Kansas' Andrew Wiggins, a spectacularly athletic small forward with a bagful of moves. Wiggins, said a Western Conference assistant GM, "isn't quite a LeBron talent, but he's right behind him," a mouth-watering thought for the teams craving a franchise player. Jayhawks coach Bill Self just finished molding Ben McLemore into a high lottery pick and with Wiggins, Self will have even more to work with.

But Wiggins isn't sitting in the top tier by himself. There isn't a consensus about the next-best player -- considering the college season hasn't started, that's not surprising -- but the list of candidates is impressive. There is Kentucky's Julius Randle, a 6-foot-9 walking mismatch who can score facing up or with his back to the basket. There is Oklahoma State sophomore Marcus Smart, a 6-4 middle linebacker masquerading as a point guard who would have distanced himself from Trey Burke, Michael Carter-Williams and any other playmaker had he decided to enter this season's draft. There is Duke's Jabari Parker, the 6-8 power forward with a shooting stroke that gives him David West-like potential.

Want more? How about Arizona's Aaron Gordon, an uber-athlete and rebounder who can jump out of the gym. Or Kentucky's Andrew and Aaron Harrison, a pair of big, dynamic guards who already look and play like pros. And a rich draft could get richer if Baylor's Isaiah Austin, North Carolina's James McAdoo and Kentucky's Alex Poythress -- projected lottery picks a year ago who developed slower than expected -- take the next step.

This column comes with a warning label, of course, because the college season can take some unexpected twists and turns. Shabazz Muhammad was a consensus top-three pick in November, before he stopped passing, defending and made a series of PR gaffes that resulted in him tumbling down the draft board. International big man Rudy Gobert settled into the top five of SI.com's first Big Board, only to watch his stock plummet once teams got a closer look at him.

But if this crop of players ends up as good as advertised, look out. Think Phoenix wouldn't love to have a franchise forward like Wiggins to fold into a young lineup featuring Eric Bledsoe and Alex Len? Think Orlando wouldn't kill for a power forward like Randle? Think Philadelphia wouldn't crave a forward like Parker to play alongside Nerlens Noel?

All of this should make for an interesting second half of the season. Tanking doesn't work, of course. The Bobcats have been bad since, well, the franchise's inception and they have never landed the No. 1 pick. The Cavaliers had a 15.6 percent chance of winning the top pick this year, and they went home with it. Since the current lottery system was put in place in 1990, only three teams that finished with the worst record ended up with the top pick. But that won't stop nagging hamstring injuries from becoming chronic at the end of the season, won't stop the occasional star from being shut down. Tossing young players to the fire is a classic move by a team content to pile up the losses, which means youth will be served this season.

Gear up, NBA, because this season could be a fun one. The Heat will look to three-peat, the Nets will try to buy a title and Dwight Howard will attempt to restore a tattered reputation. But the next generation of superstars are coming, and the teams that understand that optimism will end in training camp will be maneuvering for the best chance to get one.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130712/nba-draft-2014-andrew-wiggins-julius-randle-marcus-smart/#ixzz2YtUOlLiW

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Check out the BS report with Chad Ford. Got me real excited for this draft. Chad's already identified 7 or 8 tier1/tier2 players (franchise cornerstone & allstar potential).

Philly is going to make out like a bandit. They could land two of these guys which could net them a Durant & Noah combination if you compare to the 2008 draft. Pair that with MCW & Noel and you got a really fast rebuild.

CF & BS are thinking that its Philly, Suns, Orlando, Utah, Sacramento, Charlotte, Atlanta, Boston, New Orleans, Lakers as the potential bottom 10. I hope thats the case.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

hopefully LA keeps kobe and gasol and they remain mediocre. i seriously love danny ainge. he kept pp and kg til the very end and still managed to get great value and give the franchise a legit shot at rebuilding quickly. i couldn't imagine sitting through another mediocre and boring season with kg and pierce. win-win situation for all parties.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The draft is only 11-months away! It will be interesting to see what additional moves/trades DA makes, before the start of the season! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Yeah not really sure how you don't have Wayne Selden on the original list. That's a crime. Has unreal vision for a 2-guard, never mind his height (6'5"), length (6'10"), and athleticism are all off the charts. I'd go:

Wiggins

Parker

Randle

Smart

Harrison's

Selden

Gordon

Robinson III

McGary

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I will be watching allot of college B-ball this season! Can't wait to see these kids in action!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to anguskahn's comment:

[QUOTE]

Parker

Wiggins

Randle

Smart

Andrew Harrison

Selden

Robinson III

Gordon

Spoken like a true east coaster.  You are nuts.  There is basketabll west of the Misissippi.  Wiggins and Randle are all that might be better.  Gordon was just the MVP of the under 19 team that won the gold.  Billy Donovan couldnt stop saying how great he was.

[/QUOTE]

Listen...In general I prefer players with skill to players with athleticism. Parker is on top of my list because he is the most polished offensive player in the draft. I am not crazy about Gordon because he can't shoot. His game is predicated upon using his athleticism to drive to the hoop and dunk. It's not that easy in the NBA. To make it in the NBA - a player needs a minimum of one well-above average skill (shooting/post defense/perimeter defense/rebounding/PG skills etc). Just being athletic doesnt cut it. I don't know what Gordon's one above average skill is. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I will be watching allot of college B-ball this season! Can't wait to see these kids in action!!

Usually, but not always, competing teams in college tend to overplay and double-and-triple-team the "stars", thus reducing their effectiveness and not allowing them to showcase their abilities.  This was certainly the case with Shaq at LSU.  He had guys hanging all over him and was always impaired in his efforts.  It's only when there is a "matchup" game between two players playing the same positions or real overmatches would we see any semblance of a players true capabilites, albeit in the latter case, against no competition.  It doesn't mean that the games aren't worth watching, but I personally wouldn't expect to see NBA-level play from any players but point guards.  

Sections
Shortcuts