22 pts - 14 ast - 5 rbs - 0 turn overs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Re: 22 pts - 14 ast - 5 rbs - 0 turn overs

speaking of credibility... dudder, why not just admit rondo had a sweet game last night?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: 22 pts - 14 ast - 5 rbs - 0 turn overs:
    speaking of credibility... dudder, why not just admit rondo had a sweet game last night?
    Posted by BaileyPowe

Rondo had a game that one sees from any number of point guards across the league just about every night.....

Some suggest that I hate Rondo - we don't use the word hate in my house, I hate nobody or nothing...... what I dislike is a guy has a decent night that you can see just about every night and it is somehow spectacular and sending a message to Rose, etc.  Simply nonsense - as I have said a million times it is not Rondo it is the nonsense that people would have you believe about him.

15 or so games go by and he shoots 30% from the field, averages 9 points and 9 assists, shoots 0% from 3, and below 50% from the line but last night somehow is more indicative of Rondo's overall game and more representative of his career and abilities.  Sheer nonsense.

I think Doc benching him for a game lit a fire under his a rse and he has had two good games since.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jonestown337. Show Jonestown337's posts

First off, let me point out that I personally want the Celtics to turn things around because I would like the Lakers to play them in the finals. It doesn't get any better than that. But I can't help but notice how so many Celtics fans are falling in line behind a guy that just a few months ago spent all of his energies on this board passionately arguing that the NBA secretly got together and conspired to prevent the Celtics from winning the 2010 title. I am astonished he has any credibility left. That is all. Carry on.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget

What he said!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: 22 pts - 14 ast - 5 rbs - 0 turn overs : Rondo had a game that one sees from any number of point guards across the league just about every night..... Some suggest that I hate Rondo - we don't use the word hate in my house, I hate nobody or nothing...... what I dislike is a guy has a decent night that you can see just about every night and it is somehow spectacular and sending a message to Rose, etc.  Simply nonsense - as I have said a million times it is not Rondo it is the nonsense that people would have you believe about him. 15 or so games go by and he shoots 30% from the field, averages 9 points and 9 assists, shoots 0% from 3, and below 50% from the line but last night somehow is more indicative of Rondo's overall game and more representative of his career and abilities.  Sheer nonsense. I think Doc benching him for a game lit a fire under his a rse and he has had two good games since.......
    Posted by TheDUDDER

HAHAHAHHAHA yeah, we see 22 point 14 assist nights all the time. 

Great point on the 15 games or so where he shot 30% shooting. never mind the 50 games where he had 50% shooting! I guess your world that stat only counts when it is low. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: 22 pts - 14 ast - 5 rbs - 0 turn overs : HAHAHAHHAHA yeah, we see 22 point 14 assist nights all the time.  Great point on the 15 games or so where he shot 30% shooting. never mind the 50 games where he had 50% shooting! I guess your world that stat only counts when it is low. 
    Posted by jtkl

I cited two specific games that happened within 48 hours of Rondo's great game....  the only reason I had to go back 48 hours is because there were only two games last night and Rondo played in one of them, so I had to go back one night to where most of the league was playing and found two games that one could easily argue were as good if not better....

If there is any objective person on the planet that could honestly bring themselves to suggest with a straight face that Rondo is a 50% shooter then they are not objective.   He is pretty much like Perk - not a dunk, not a layup, not going in..... I cited those 15 games because they coincide with when his own coach told him to start going to the rim and taking the uncontested gifts he gets everynight and not so coincidentally his shooting % took a dramatic nosedive.  Take more shots from more than 2 feet away from the rim.... wow shocker drum roll please 30% from the field....... and still no foul shots and God forbid even attempting a 3 point field goal.....

some idiot suggested either in this thread or the Rondo can shoot thread that Rondo was "shooting daggers".... I have only been watching basketball for about 40 years and I cannot remember a situation where a guy who is completely unguarded knocks down a few 15 jumpers referred to as "daggers", as I recall the term "daggers" came along when people starting making 3s late in games that demoralized the other team - a point guard making routine 15 foot jumpers are not "daggers"..... that is the general issue I have with this board - it is not Rondo, it is the board that somehow thinks that last night's performance is (a) direct evidence he is a sure fire hall of famer and (b) the best point guard in the league....as if that game film is already in Springfield when less than 48 hours two games had what I would call games that were as good if not better...........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: 22 pts - 14 ast - 5 rbs - 0 turn overs : I don't think anyone said best point guard in the league. In fact no one on the Celtics is the best in the league at their position. Rondo belongs in the discussion though.  
    Posted by jtkl

jtkl, folks on "other threads" said he's "back" and now you see "the best PG in the NBA".  Karllost even said as much, sarcastically I presume, on the long game on thread of yesterday.  I was not referring to this thread.

However, whether or not Rondo belongs in the discussion has been debated, ad nauseum and that was not the purpose of my post.  I could care less where he is slotted.

What I do care about is him consistently playing like he did last night.  All I posted was that I would love to see this play more consistently and if last night serves as the start to this play throughout the playoffs, then I'm happy.  But if he lays an egg tonight, what are we left to believe?

Because a player has a "bust out" game doesn't mean "he's back" until it becomes a "repeatable behavior".  And I HOPE that it, as well as the Celtic's team play of last night, becomes a "repeatable behavior".

Peace to you.  Beat Atlanta.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: 22 pts - 14 ast - 5 rbs - 0 turn overs : I cited two specific games that happened within 48 hours of Rondo's great game....  the only reason I had to go back 48 hours is because there were only two games last night and Rondo played in one of them, so I had to go back one night to where most of the league was playing and found two games that one could easily argue were as good if not better.... If there is any objective person on the planet that could honestly bring themselves to suggest with a straight face that Rondo is a 50% shooter then they are not objective.   He is pretty much like Perk - not a dunk, not a layup, not going in..... I cited those 15 games because they coincide with when his own coach told him to start going to the rim and taking the uncontested gifts he gets everynight and not so coincidentally his shooting % took a dramatic nosedive.  Take more shots from more than 2 feet away from the rim.... wow shocker drum roll please 30% from the field....... and still no foul shots and God forbid even attempting a 3 point field goal..... some idiot suggested either in this thread or the Rondo can shoot thread that Rondo was "shooting daggers".... I have only been watching basketball for about 40 years and I cannot remember a situation where a guy who is completely unguarded knocks down a few 15 jumpers referred to as "daggers", as I recall the term "daggers" came along when people starting making 3s late in games that demoralized the other team - a point guard making routine 15 foot jumpers are not "daggers"..... that is the general issue I have with this board - it is not Rondo, it is the board that somehow thinks that last night's performance is (a) direct evidence he is a sure fire hall of famer and (b) the best point guard in the league....as if that game film is already in Springfield when less than 48 hours two games had what I would call games that were as good if not better...........
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Your posts, are frankly silly on so many levels. First off, you bring shooting percentages into the discussion by claiming Rondo shot 30% over a 15 game stretch. Then you undermine your own point by illogically claiming that shooting percentages don't matter by saying Rondo doesn't in fact shoot 50% from the field. Even though 50% of the time he throws the ball towards the big hoop thingy--it goes in. Well reasoned! 

Next you claim someone is not objective for, I don't know, disregarding math like you do?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: 22 pts - 14 ast - 5 rbs - 0 turn overs : jtkl, folks on "other threads" said he's "back" and now you see "the best PG in the NBA".  Karllost even said as much, sarcastically I presume, on the long game on thread of yesterday.  I was not referring to this thread. However, whether or not Rondo belongs in the discussion has been debated, ad nauseum and that was not the purpose of my post.  I could care less where he is slotted. What I do care about is him consistently playing like he did last night.  All I posted was that I would love to see this play more consistently and if last night serves as the start to this play throughout the playoffs, then I'm happy.  But if he lays an egg tonight, what are we left to believe? Because a player has a "bust out" game doesn't mean "he's back" until it becomes a "repeatable behavior".  And I HOPE that it, as well as the Celtic's team play of last night, becomes a "repeatable behavior". Peace to you.  Beat Atlanta.
    Posted by Petey62

Yeah, I'm pretty sure karlhost was poking fun at himself. He has been a huge Rondo critic.  I like the fact though he can admit Rondo had a great game and get behind it. Instead of trying to pretend every point guard inthe league does this nightly as Dudder does. 

One thing though Rondo was at a very high level last night. I wouldn't expect him to consistently play at that level. I wouldn't expect any point guard in the league to have zero turnovers while making circus shots and getting all his teamates invloved nightly. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe Dudder is simply saying a PG posting a stat line of 22 pts, 14 asts, 5 rebs and 0 to's is a stat line that any number of PGs post on any given night.  And I think he backed up his point by adding the names of a few PGs who have posted similar numbers very recently.  Can't fault him for that!

Nevertheless, I really don't feel that last night's stat line was "great".  It was good.  I'll take that stat line from Rondo on any given night too.  However, game 4 against Cleveland in the playoffs last year was what I call "great".  Not too many PGs can post THAT kind of stat line.  I was most impressed with the 0 turnovers more than anything last night.  I kinda felt disappointed for being "teased" because I know Rondo is capable of doing this on a nightly basis.

Considering (or not considering) how he's played (and the Celtics) lately, I thought last night's performance was more in line with what is expected from him on a more consistent basis.

I hope (not expect) he'll have a good night tonight too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

Absolutely laughabale... celtic fans comparing rondo to rose. Cool

Wow!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe Dudder is simply saying a PG posting a stat line of 22 pts, 14 asts, 5 rebs and 0 to's is a stat line that any number of PGs post on any given night.  And I think he backed up his point by adding the names of a few PGs who have posted similar numbers very recently.  Can't fault him for that! Nevertheless, I really don't feel that last night's stat line was "great".  It was good.  I'll take that stat line from Rondo on any given night too.  However, game 4 against Cleveland in the playoffs last year was what I call "great".  Not too many PGs can post THAT kind of stat line.  I was most impressed with the 0 turnovers more than anything last night.  I kinda felt disappointed for being "teased" because I know Rondo is capable of doing this on a nightly basis. Considering (or not considering) how he's played (and the Celtics) lately, I thought last night's performance was more in line with what is expected from him on a more consistent basis. I hope (not expect) he'll have a good night tonight too.
    Posted by Petey62

He has been playing better, but I agree that he can play better still!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe Dudder is simply saying a PG posting a stat line of 22 pts, 14 asts, 5 rebs and 0 to's is a stat line that any number of PGs post on any given night.  And I think he backed up his point by adding the names of a few PGs who have posted similar numbers very recently.  Can't fault him for that! Nevertheless, I really don't feel that last night's stat line was "great".  It was good.  I'll take that stat line from Rondo on any given night too.  However, game 4 against Cleveland in the playoffs last year was what I call "great".  Not too many PGs can post THAT kind of stat line.  I was most impressed with the 0 turnovers more than anything last night.  I kinda felt disappointed for being "teased" because I know Rondo is capable of doing this on a nightly basis. Considering (or not considering) how he's played (and the Celtics) lately, I thought last night's performance was more in line with what is expected from him on a more consistent basis. I hope (not expect) he'll have a good night tonight too.
    Posted by Petey62

Not too many point guards could post that kind of stat line?   Well unless of course if you look at what happens just about every night and you see that players have stat lines like that almost daily......

Capable of doing it on a nightly basis?.... lmao.....  the only thing better than saying you "know" that Rondo can do it on a nightly basis would be one of my favorites where someone says "as a matter of fact - I know Rondo could do it on a nightly basis"... because somehow it is a FACT that someone KNOWS that Rondo COULD do it on a nightly basis - especially when he proves night after night that he can't.

Stockton had back to back seasons where he averaged 14 assists, over 17 points, shot more than 50% from the field, more than 80% from the line, and more than 40% from 3...... Rondo is nowhere near doing any of this.

Stockton averaged 14 assists while actually scoring, going to the basket and looking forward to getting to the line - as opposed to Rondo avoiding it, actually took 3s and made them at better than 40%, Rondo avoids shooting them altogether.  this board is a bunch of enablers "he doesn't need to score, there is plenty of scoring, Rondo is perfect for this team" unless of course..... you want to score more than 85 points........ and so on.......  to most here it is amazing that Rondo will average 11 assists and ignore the fact that he will actually score less per game than his assist average as if that is some sort of badge of courage or great accomplishment... what it means is he plays for a team that desparately needs his offense and he can not even lead the league in assists.....  if he were averaging 25 assists per game I think averaging 10 ppg would be great but averaging 11 assists and not leading the league and averaging 10 ppg is what I would call an embarrassment....

We are somehow supposed to believe that Rondo is subjugating, deferring, giving up some portion of his game to make his 3 hall of fame teammates plenty of looks, etc.  The reality is that he has none of the skills that would allow him to get anywhere near what Stockton accomplished in back to back seasons but many on BDC have him Springfield already.

Nothing could be funnier.

Go back and look at the stat line the last time Rose destroyed Rondo and held the Cs to 79 points.......

Rondo will not even lead the league in assists, barely lead the league in steals and those are his strong points.....  Posters here would have you think that Rondo averages 25 assists and 14 steals and then there are a bunch of guys averaging around 10 assists and 2 steals and therefore because he is so far ahead in those two stats that his complete inability to do what most would consider routine point guard assignments more than make up for his futility.

He is near the top in a couple of categories and absolutely abysmal in some key areas but somehow he is the best in the league, perfect for this team, the Cs MVP, an MVP candidate, sending Rose a message, and some other such nonsense.

Just about every night Rondo is outplayed statistically by any number of other point guards across the league but somehow he is wearing green and therefore the best and nothing could be further from the truth.   If he were wearing anything other than green, most on BDC would not know his name and would be laughing at his performance on a daily basis.

The other night in 29 minutes Lowry had 16 points on 50% shooting, he made 40% of his 3s, had 10 assists, 7 rebounds and a steal....... it took Rondo 41 min and 7 more shots to get 6 more points oh and last time Rondo faced off against Lowry, Lowry embarrassed him off the floor, Rondo dropped 4 points and 6 assists on Houston..............

But last night's game film should be sent to Springfield and of course marks the return to greatness for Rondo and actually represents a better picture of his actual overall game.......

Some people live in reality, the rest can't......  just look around the corner, you may find it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Posted by Petey62

I have to disagree, it was great. Now you could say wouldn't it have been better if he dropped 40 points? No. because that means a lot less touches for Ray and and Pierce.

Rondo was the best player on the court last night. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Stockton had back to back seasons where he averaged 14 assists, over 17 points, shot more than 50% from the field, more than 80% from the line, and more than 40% from 3...... Rondo is nowhere near doing any of this.

------------------------

Dudder you really need to start thinking more deeply about these things. Stockton was the second scoring option on the Jazz. For Rondo to do that, he'd have to take shots away from Ray and then KG which makes no sense at all. of course Stockton was going to score more.

His scoring numbers you mention are better than EVERYONE on our team with the exception Pierce.  

Rondo also has been above 50% shooting for much of the year. But you have brilliantly concluded that 50% shooting only applies to people not named Rondo.  Rondo's assist totals are near what Stockton's were (and you are comparing that to Stockton's two best years.) 
    Rondo is a better rebounder than Stocton and played MUCH MUCH MUCH better defense. 

Stockton did shoot the three better (you are picking his prime years though which Rondo hasn't even reached yet.) He also shot free throws better, big whoop. 

Also your choice of Stockton is your most laughable point. It really shows a lack of thoutfulness on your part.

Your primary argument is that any number of guards could put Rondo like numbers up, but instead of bring out Mike Bibby or mario Chalmbers you bring out a Hall of fame point guard?

Hmm, I suppose I could also argue that most small forwards are better than Pierce. Doesn't help my case though if I bring out Larry Bird's stats to prove it does it?  If you argue that any number of point guards are better than Rondo better start bringing out stats from the scrubs to make your case, because picking one of the greatest to play the game and saying "See Rondo Sucks he is no John Stockton" is the equivelent of saying, " See Dwayne Sucks , He is no Michael Jordan." 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I think I might have this figured out.  Rondo's offense fluctuates between poor and outstanding.  But consider, his defense and pointguarding facilitation are grade A qualities all the way.  His total game (when he's healthy) averages out to be grade A, because no point guard in the league is perfect at their total game.  Could it be some fans aren't aware that they could think on these terms?

Sections
Shortcuts