2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!

I love this game!

This kid is a great athlete!

Who regularly gets beaten on straight up match ups and STINKS!  Fratello couldn't call it straight if it was a game of Bass against himself in an empty gym- Bass would still get lost on defense. 

There should have been NO rotation on a straight up matchup- Smith can't shoot from the outside for a decent percentage, so you just don't get up so close on him that he can blow by you!!  Easy!  Right?  No, not easy if your #30

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!

Any chance we can send Bass to the D League after making him run summer league with a personal defensive coach? 

I'm serious when I ask that.  Welcome him back when he can play some defense.  Until then what good is he?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!

bass is a good offensive player and gets some rebounds....obviously he didnt play much defense on that play....but based on your logic, everyone on the team besides KG should be sent to the D-league because they were all sloppy and played poor D

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!:
    bass is a good offensive player and gets some rebounds....obviously he didnt play much defense on that play....but based on your logic, everyone on the team besides KG should be sent to the D-league because they were all sloppy and played poor D
    Posted by redsoxfan94

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

Did Bass steal your lunch money?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

He wasn't the only invisible player....this game was won by experience not much else. Thank God for KG!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

its getting old Acie, the dumps you are taking are ruining the winning vibe

defending Bass over Baby is like wanting Acie Earl over Nick Van Exel (Bird choice) in that '93 draft

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bass did not play well.  I think in the next series he will match up better with Philly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead!:
    Posted by redsoxfan94

oh please.  there's only one guy on the celts this series who has played 30+ mins every night and vastly given away his matchup.

yeah, other people made some mistakes, but BB keeps making the same ones over and over and over.  it's a variety of defensive mistakes, not just one.

listen, we have this guy for a number of years now.  as soon as the gong goes off and this season is over, he needs to get with a special defensive coach and get his crap together. 

i have read many articles on the internet from BEFORE this year about Bass' trademark move on D being "turning his head" the WRONG way to enable easy scores.  If he only did that once in a while then it'd be okay.

But he gets lost and doesn't fight through screens, he makes inexplicable switching decisions and then doesn't get back to either block a shot or take a charge.  I realize he looks a lot more pleasant cosmetically, nice muscley arms, etc, gives the appearance of a "great athlete" but at least davis was willing to plug holes with his body, and it worked for us.  Bass is repeatedly doing neither. 

Obviously Bass is not alone as far as playing poorly.  I don't know how much to expect from Avery Bradley (separated shoulder), Ray Allen (bad crankles again) and I thought Pierce's mobility tonight was miraculous considering a strained MCL (puts a lump in yer troat), even though he wasn't much good down the stretch.

I don't just have issues with Bass's play.  But he's been consistently sub-par.

I want him to improve on D.  And he will need some intensive help to do so.  I hope they get it for him.  who to call?  I've been trying to think of who.  A guy like Bobby Jones I suppose.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

its getting old Acie, the dumps you are taking are ruining the winning vibe defending Bass over Baby is like wanting Acie Earl over Nick Van Exel (Bird choice) in that '93 draft
    Posted by rameakap

you are the only one talking about Davis in the upper half of this thread.  my commentary was on a specific moment in this game that was a horrendous moment.  there were others committed by bass and also other players.  but through this series, in every single game, no player has been more of a bozo on defense than bass.

i really do wish the kid was doing better for us.  if he was scoring 18 a night and giving away 18 then maybe you say "ok" and shrug your shoulders.  but he isn't.  the buckets he is forfeiting are maddeningly easy for the other team.

we have to reduce this occurrence in round 2.  the last thing you want to do is given elton brand hope that he's a relevant forward in the playoffs again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I have to agree with you on this one...Down the stretch, you cannot let your man blow by you...no excuse..I don't care if there was no help..at least fowl they guy, get in his way, trip him or something..i could have scored that lay up...not good for a team that hangs its hat on defense...Im sure doc was incensed...this game was much harder than it needed to be..and all because of silly turnovers, and lack of smarts down the stretch...I want to give credit to Atlanta for hangin in there, but really it was the Celts letting them hang around...we better pick it up or this home court advantage won't mean much...it is, what it is...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

y ru so mad bro?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

acie points are right on imo regarding Bass.

Even his open jumpers have to be almost wide open or he'll use a weak pump fake, then freeze with the ball. And I mean FREEZE b/c he is in total nervous mode. Never understood the pump fake from outside when its your shot and you have room to get it off.

He's had an attrocious series in every repect. Hope whatever his issues are, somehow a few of them are healed for the 6ers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead! : you are the only one talking about Davis in the upper half of this thread.  my commentary was on a specific moment in this game that was a horrendous moment.  there were others committed by bass and also other players.  but through this series, in every single game, no player has been more of a bozo on defense than bass. i really do wish the kid was doing better for us.  if he was scoring 18 a night and giving away 18 then maybe you say "ok" and shrug your shoulders.  but he isn't.  the buckets he is forfeiting are maddeningly easy for the other team. we have to reduce this occurrence in round 2.  the last thing you want to do is given elton brand hope that he's a relevant forward in the playoffs again.
    Posted by aciemvp

Oh forgive us for having the gall to assume this slamming negative trash thread of Bass would be completely unrelated to your year-long desire to have kept Big Baby...

gag me

So if this is truly a thread about how terrible Bass has been, with no implication BBD would have been better, and that you've simply had enough and just needed to put it down in words I'll take it at face value and say that although Bass has not played up to the standard we set for him when he became a regular season starter this thread in the wake of a victory and advancing to the 2nd rd is really sour grapes and negative

Besides, Ray, Pietrus and Avery all had worse games....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bass needs to play Elton Brand to a draw this next series

Brand was an 11 point 7 rebound guy this regular season in 29 minutes, he was an 8 point 5.5 rebound guy in the playoffs against the Bulls formidable frontcourt D.

Anything more than a 12/7 from Brand with Bass getting anything less than a 13/6 for the seris will be a serious dissapointment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Horford and Smith are way too athletic than Bass.  Bass weight over 250 pounds while Smith is only 225 pounds and Horford is 6 10 weighing 250.  Size and height is a factor on why Bass cant stop either one!

Who care, this game is not all about one person.  It is about team.  That was why Boston won the series!!

Atlanta may be more athletic than Boston, but Boston are more smarter and experience team which that was why Boston won the series!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The thing the Celtics have to worry about is not Bass.  What they need to worry about is why the last two games the Hawks continually had wide open looks from the three point line.  This will sink the Celtics if the defense doesn't fix it down the road.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Bass is a terrible defensive player. The reality is if he isn't hitting his J he's not a very helpful player. Nothing worse then him pump faking on his sweet spot shot because that's all he's good for. He got away with it in the regular season but in the playoffs they scout and know he's hot garbage on D. He needs to elevate his game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Bass is a terrible defensive player. The reality is if he isn't hitting his J he's not a very helpful player. Nothing worse then him pump faking on his sweet spot shot because that's all he's good for. He got away with it in the regular season but in the playoffs they scout and know he's hot garbage on D. He needs to elevate his game.
    Posted by tompenny

Agreed.  the game has gotten faster and he is still sitting there thinking he is going to get open jump shots and easy dunks.  It isn't going to happen anymore.  He needs to pick it up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead! : Oh forgive us for having the gall to assume this slamming negative trash thread of Bass would be completely unrelated to your year-long desire to have kept Big Baby... gag me So if this is truly a thread about how terrible Bass has been, with no implication BBD would have been better, and that you've simply had enough and just needed to put it down in words I'll take it at face value and say that although Bass has not played up to the standard we set for him when he became a regular season starter this thread in the wake of a victory and advancing to the 2nd rd is really sour grapes and negative Besides, Ray, Pietrus and Avery all had worse games....
    Posted by rameakap

you're right, we'll pick on two injured guys who both need surgery and a guy who just got his brain stem racked and it's a miracle he's playing at all vs. the healthy bodied bass.

i wrote elsewhere last night and addressed your very weak whine about "the others who stunk" by stating the obvious- how much can you expect out of ray and avery- two guys who need surgery.  I can't remember another player trying to play with a separated shoulder, can you?  Pietrus?  in general he has been a disappointment all year long.  I haven't seen him reach his previous level of play since the head injury.  Nor have I seen Marquis Daniels do that either. 

so if you'd like to start a thread rangling the injured then that's great.

i started a thread about the moment in the game where josh smith DROVE RIGHT FOR THE THIRD TIME ON BASS FOR A LAYUP, DUNK or AND ONE, because it was a disgusting moment in the game, among a lot of very frustrating moments in recent games.  the people who are NOT injured who I've seen do the most damage to this team are Rondo and Bass and to a lesser extent, because he plays less minutes, Hollins with his godawful defense that is not erased by any offensive contributions.

So I talk about them.  Apparently you'd rather ride the injured guys, ray, pierce, and avery like sea biscuit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Bass needs to play Elton Brand to a draw this next series Brand was an 11 point 7 rebound guy this regular season in 29 minutes, he was an 8 point 5.5 rebound guy in the playoffs against the Bulls formidable frontcourt D. Anything more than a 12/7 from Brand with Bass getting anything less than a 13/6 for the seris will be a serious dissapointment.
    Posted by rameakap

you overlook the fact that brand actually played decent ball the last two games of the PHI series- good numbers offensively and blocked shots.

in the shape that bass is in defensively and his lack of offensive production, i think he needs to have his minutes trimmed back.

or look at it the other way- WHAT has Steamer done (badly) so as to have his minutes limited to FIVE a game?  This makes no sense to me.  Adding Steamer to a front line with Garnett playing the four for considerable minutes could really give us an advantage against a pest of a PHI team that has bothered us for years way beyond what they should have.

i say give bass the first half to 2/3 of the 1st and 3rd quarters and go from there.  if he's not productive then bring on the steamer.  if he's hot, let him stay in there until he cools.  to be honest, i have not seen him "hot" in the playoffs yet. 

trust me when i tell you that elton brand has been watching video of bass' bad defense in this ATL series and feels empowered right now.  i'd like to see steamer/hollins chase hawes around the court rather than KG and put KG on brand for a good dosage of minutes.

do you have any compelling arguement against that?  and please do not bring up glen davis.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Acie,

Bass has been your whipping boy all season as you pine for Big Baby, and now that you continue to trash him in the playoffs you say we can't bring up Baby and all the reasons why the trade made sense to you (for the millionth time) and how we have no idea if there was any other/better players Danny could have traded for?

It's not like in '09 when we could have sent the big 3 to McDyess's door with that full MLE offer and instead they went to Sheed's. I was hoping to swap Baby, JO and a pick for Kaman, but of course that never materialized.

Speaking of Jermaine, wasn't he supposed to be healthy? The workout wonder from the moment the lockout ended wh was to replace Perk's 8-8-2 as paint protection in like 22-26 minutes a night?

Oh right, I' not supposed to bring up INJURIES either... it's all Bass's fault for not being a star PF when he was expected to be a 6th-7th man... yuck.

We swapped out an 11.7 point 5.3 rebound 6'8" PF last year for an 11.2/5.7 PF who costs a lot less and gives us the flexibility to persue a better option than either Bass or Baby this summer. Enough already with the Bass hate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: 2:55 in the fourth- Bass becomes invisible man on D and allows Josh Smith DUNK for Hawks lead! : you overlook the fact that brand actually played decent ball the last two games of the PHI series- good numbers offensively and blocked shots. in the shape that bass is in defensively and his lack of offensive production, i think he needs to have his minutes trimmed back. or look at it the other way- WHAT has Steamer done (badly) so as to have his minutes limited to FIVE a game?  This makes no sense to me.  Adding Steamer to a front line with Garnett playing the four for considerable minutes could really give us an advantage against a pest of a PHI team that has bothered us for years way beyond what they should have. i say give bass the first half to 2/3 of the 1st and 3rd quarters and go from there.  if he's not productive then bring on the steamer.  if he's hot, let him stay in there until he cools.  to be honest, i have not seen him "hot" in the playoffs yet.  trust me when i tell you that elton brand has been watching video of bass' bad defense in this ATL series and feels empowered right now.  i'd like to see steamer/hollins chase hawes around the court rather than KG and put KG on brand for a good dosage of minutes. do you have any compelling arguement against that?  and please do not bring up glen davis.
    Posted by aciemvp

Brand's STELLER 5 point 5 rebound averages in 32-33 minutes the last two playoff games sure are impressive Acie... oh wait he got 3 blocks ingame 5 and 2 in game 6 so that makes up for it when the Sixers were a -7 over the Bulls those 2 games.

YAWN

At least Bass gave us a 10/6.5 avg over the same games 5/6...oh but he only had 2 blocks to Brand's 5. Yes, defense is a problem but there is no way Brand played any better than bass over those 2 games.

Bass matches up with brand better than Steamer/Hollins do IMO.

Doc says that Hollins earned his minutes over Steamer in practice these last few weeks. He did have the biggest rebound of the game. I certainyl want to see Stiemsma/Hollins on Hawes a lot and NEVER see Bass on him.

Let's be positive and hope brandon has a great series. With so many players injured he needs to up his game. He turned a 12.5/6.2 regular season into a 9/5.5 playoffs. That is like 20% worse. With so many players injured and the stakes raised you want to see him play 20% better.

A 15/8 from Bass over the course of this series while brand stays an 11/7 will be critical.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

In the last 5 minutes of a game, i would rather trade in and out. Steamer and Hollins.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Any chance we can send Bass to the D League after making him run summer league with a personal defensive coach?  I'm serious when I ask that.  Welcome him back when he can play some defense.  Until then what good is he?
    Posted by aciemvp

The C's essentially got Bass for Davis in a free agent swap. The Celts got the better of the deal. That said, Bass might be playing with an injury. He doesn't look right, to me.

Sections
Shortcuts