26 missed FGA vs 51 missed FGA - who wins?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

26 missed FGA vs 51 missed FGA - who wins?

Certainly not the team that gives up 8 more offensive rebounds and 11 more turnovers. You get 19 more possessions, you get more shot attempts. The math is easy.

This is such an old story, yet when it unfolds every night it's still stunning to watch and still as logic-defying to comprehend.

On the defensive end it looks like the defensive rotations use up every bit of brain and body energy they have, and the shot that follows is a signal for all of them to relax for a moment, stop, freeze, stand stockstill unless the ball is a long shot and the rebound maybe ends up directly overhead.

Otherwise, they just stand and watch. Last night there were at least 4 own-rebound put-backs. Anthony and Martin looked like they were taking a ball away from a kid at the playground. Both of them waltzed down the lane for putback dunks.

I'm serious. I've coached for a very long time and I cannot believe that coaches at any level leave this unattended. And it is not, repeat, not tied in with the philosophy to not send people to the offensive glass. That's at the other end. This is defensive rebounding we're talking about.

It is said that rebounding is mostly a matter of instinct and will.  Bass doesn't have it and despite last night, Green seems not to either. I'm ready to see if White can do it in Bass's place. Randolph already seems to have that flailing, clumsy, stumbling, rebounding nose for the ball. Maybe throw him in and let him whack a few people across the nose a few times.

As far as the turnovers, all those adequate passing combo guards are not adequate at all, and Pierce has become a turnover machine, a scorer whose last turnover, he is always quite sure, will be made up for by his next score. Sometimes he gives it a 'my bad,' but mostly he looks around for something else to hang it on, if he reacts at all. 

Crawford came in as a 'trick or treat' player. Six turnovers from him is no shock. But from a veteran, captain, all-time great Celtic, future HOF, etc., etc., on a losing streak, playing at home  against the Knicks for playoff seeding, six turnovers and listless defense is not the kind of leadership you'd expect, nor, might I say, the kind you got from other all-time greats like Cowens, Havlicek, Bird, Heinsohn, Russell, etc., etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TPETTEWAY1. Show TPETTEWAY1's posts

Re: 26 missed FGA vs 51 missed FGA - who wins?

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:

Certainly not the team that gives up 8 more offensive rebounds and 11 more turnovers. You get 19 more possessions, you get more shot attempts. The math is easy.

This is such an old story, yet when it unfolds every night it's still stunning to watch and still as logic-defying to comprehend.

On the defensive end it looks like the defensive rotations use up every bit of brain and body energy they have, and the shot that follows is a signal for all of them to relax for a moment, stop, freeze, stand stockstill unless the ball is a long shot and the rebound maybe ends up directly overhead.

Otherwise, they just stand and watch. Last night there were at least 4 own-rebound put-backs. Anthony and Martin looked like they were taking a ball away from a kid at the playground. Both of them waltzed down the lane for putback dunks.

I'm serious. I've coached for a very long time and I cannot believe that coaches at any level leave this unattended. And it is not, repeat, not tied in with the philosophy to not send people to the offensive glass. That's at the other end. This is defensive rebounding we're talking about.

It is said that rebounding is mostly a matter of instinct and will.  Bass doesn't have it and despite last night, Green seems not to either. I'm ready to see if White can do it in Bass's place. Randolph already seems to have that flailing, clumsy, stumbling, rebounding nose for the ball. Maybe throw him in and let him whack a few people across the nose a few times.

As far as the turnovers, all those adequate passing combo guards are not adequate at all, and Pierce has become a turnover machine, a scorer whose last turnover, he is always quite sure, will be made up for by his next score. Sometimes he gives it a 'my bad,' but mostly he looks around for something else to hang it on, if he reacts at all. 

Crawford came in as a 'trick or treat' player. Six turnovers from him is no shock. But from a veteran, captain, all-time great Celtic, future HOF, etc., etc., on a losing streak, playing at home  against the Knicks for playoff seeding, six turnovers and listless defense is not the kind of leadership you'd expect, nor, might I say, the kind you got from other all-time greats like Cowens, Havlicek, Bird, Heinsohn, Russell, etc., etc.

The problem is lack on effort by all in green even Jason Kidd was crashing the boards getting rebounds as all celtics were just standing waiting for it to drop in thier laps. As much as i like Doc thier is no reason to put a team out thier who expects something to be given to them and that is on DOC. iF BASS wont rebound bench him and put in one of the new guys a statement needs to be sent in that locker room . Winning and effort are two different things yeah were short handed and i could take a loss when guys are hustling ,, ITS EMBARRASSING TO WATCH.. IF DOC WASNT DOC HE WOULD BE ON THE HOT SEAT FOR SURE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to TPETTEWAY1's comment:

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:

The problem is lack on effort by all in green even Jason Kidd was crashing the boards getting rebounds as all celtics were just standing waiting for it to drop in thier laps. As much as i like Doc thier is no reason to put a team out thier who expects something to be given to them and that is on DOC. iF BASS wont rebound bench him and put in one of the new guys a statement needs to be sent in that locker room . Winning and effort are two different things yeah were short handed and i could take a loss when guys are hustling ,, ITS EMBARRASSING TO WATCH.. IF DOC WASNT DOC HE WOULD BE ON THE HOT SEAT FOR SURE

========================================
    "Cs" are and have been weak rebounding, especially on Off Rebs as they send 4 men back quickly to defend but on Def Reb board, I have never seen another team like the "Cs" allow so many tap ins. I would guess the Knicks had at least 10 last night. I mean if you are not going to rebound, at least try to box someone out !!! And you are correct, as we are usually -10 in rebs, these are 2nd chances for even mediocre shooters so we need compensate by good "D" & creating more turnovers. Sure didn't do that last night.

Bass would be OK as a 6th man on a team with 3-4  stars like the Heat, OKC, the Spurs, Clippers or the Nuggets because he'd be left open a lot.

But the "Cs" don't have stars only 2 aging ones & guys like Bass, Green, Bradley are expected to be the stars but, alas, they are not sufficient to carry our mediocre team. In retrospect, I wish KG had waived his no trade & we got Bledsoe & DeAndre Jordan. I'm not unhappy we didn't send PP to Siberia, Atlanta, for Josh Smith although I would have liked the trade. He deserves to retire in Green as he spent many lean years with us but KG had his best years with Minn !!!

What's sad too is we could have gotten Kenyon Martin and even "Birdman" although I'd hated seeing his tattooed body in green but both of these players are assets to the Knicks & Heat !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

cHEAT are undefeated w/ BIRDMAN in the line up....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to jdm894g's comment:

cHEAT are undefeated w/ BIRDMAN in the line up....

======================================

Why...Why ...Why ??? Instead we get Randolph & White !!! And re: "Birdman" who was available to us too and I'd put up with his tattooed body in our hallowed Green.

Kenyon Martin giving the Knicks a boost

By Baxter Holmes    Globe Staff  

March 27, 2013

The bruising forward was a much-needed addition, filling a gap left by an injured big man with his energy, rebounding and scoring. Kenyon Martin provided life.